Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,446 members, 7,816,025 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:54 PM

Should I Get A Second Car Or A Nanny? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Should I Get A Second Car Or A Nanny? (1075 Views)

I Made My Husband Impotent For Taking A Second Wife - Woman Confesses In Delta / Married As A Second Wife For Child-Bearing / Nanny Caught On Camera Slapping A 5-month-old Girl (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should I Get A Second Car Or A Nanny? by barakah(m): 12:59pm On Dec 09, 2012
Hello fellow nairalanders,
I've had this very difficult puzzle to solve for a while now and was wondering if I could get a good solution to it online.
I have a small family, my wife and I and our two young kids in Nursery school.
The challenge is that we all have to leave the house in the mornings for work and school in one car.
I drop the kids at school and my wife at the nearest bus station before I set off to work.
The Lagos traffic ensures that I always arrive late to work.
Do you think it is time we get a second car, get a nanny,get a driver for my wife and kids while I go on public transport or change my kids' school?
I'm sure someone must have a good solution to this please admonish me.
Re: Should I Get A Second Car Or A Nanny? by k2039: 1:04pm On Dec 09, 2012
I will write a program, in which I will simulate your parameters, I will get back to you on the most effective one.

1 Like

Re: Should I Get A Second Car Or A Nanny? by iamSi(m): 2:56pm On Dec 09, 2012
Getting a Nanny my brother is a no no_ unless its ur relatives_ even at that you just gotta be careful_ thats all_

Getting a Driver?_ hmmmmmmm_ Iyen naa a le die Oooooo_ lets wait for my proffesoor up there _
Re: Should I Get A Second Car Or A Nanny? by yme1(f): 3:04pm On Dec 09, 2012
can your wife drive? if yes then get a second car and let your wife drop the kids at school (it could be shared between you two)and then head for work
Re: Should I Get A Second Car Or A Nanny? by Nobody: 3:46pm On Dec 09, 2012
Re: Should I Get A Second Car Or A Nanny? by Kobojunkie: 4:16pm On Dec 09, 2012
barakah: Hello fellow nairalanders,
I've had this very difficult puzzle to solve for a while now and was wondering if I could get a good solution to it online.
I have a small family, my wife and I and our two young kids in Nursery school.
The challenge is that we all have to leave the house in the mornings for work and school in one car.
I drop the kids at school and my wife at the nearest bus station before I set off to work.
The Lagos traffic ensures that I always arrive late to work.
Do you think it is time we get a second car, get a nanny,get a driver for my wife and kids while I go on public transport or change my kids' school?
I'm sure someone must have a good solution to this please admonish me.

What happened to you waking up a bit earlier than you currently do so you can drop your kids off earlier, drop your wife off earlier and then have some more minutes to manuever traffic with? I don't see the sense in getting a second car when all you plan to do then is offload your responsibility onto your wife then, and in the process increase your carbon-footprint on the planet.
I also do not see the reason in your plan in getting a nanny . . . again with the offloading of responsibility to another. You should consider waking up early. You are an adult now . . . adults do things right, not look for ways to get others to take over their responsibilities.
Re: Should I Get A Second Car Or A Nanny? by pak: 6:23pm On Dec 09, 2012
Kobojunkie:

What happened to you waking up a bit earlier than you currently do so you can drop your kids off earlier, drop your wife off earlier and then have some more minutes to manuever traffic with? I don't see the sense in getting a second car when all you plan to do then is offload your responsibility onto your wife then, and in the process increase your carbon-footprint on the planet.
I also do not see the reason in your plan in getting a nanny . . . again with the offloading of responsibility to another. You should consider waking up early. You are an adult now . . . adults do things right, not look for ways to get others to take over their responsibilities.

best response so far
Re: Should I Get A Second Car Or A Nanny? by k2039: 6:35pm On Dec 09, 2012
pak:

best response so far

You are absolutely wrong, who told you the Op hasnt been waking early and leaving home early, except you probably want him to wake at 2am and drive her to work at 4am.

After carefully simulating parameters such as nanny, new car, a new driver, waking early, I was able to come up with the best possible model which is getting a new car.

A new car will obviously mean you and your wife will get to work about thesame time, no one will be late for work and no one will get fired as a result.

Sorry, the simulation results came in late, actually designing a software that will incorporate those parameters in wasnt really a easy deal.

1 Like

Re: Should I Get A Second Car Or A Nanny? by Nobody: 9:46pm On Dec 09, 2012
k2039:

You are absolutely wrong, who told you the Op hasnt be waking early and leaving home early, except you probably want him to wake at 2am and drive her to work at 4am.

Thank you for this o! How simplistic can a position be? You're getting late to work due to traffic so wake up earlier right? Never mind the wife and kids who will also be forced to wake up earlier; who's workplace and school have specific times when they open. Wake up early, drop off the kids outside the locked gate of their nursery school and drive off to work. Sounds great! At least you'll get to work on time!!
Re: Should I Get A Second Car Or A Nanny? by Kobojunkie: 1:06am On Dec 10, 2012
k2039:

You are absolutely wrong, who told you the Op hasnt been waking early and leaving home early, except you probably want him to wake at 2am and drive her to work at 4am.

Actually, waking up earlier could be as simple as waking up 15 minutes earlier. Traffic is most times about Timing. The same street you find yourself at standstill at 7.00 am in the morning could have been free moving at 6:45 am the same morning. I expressed this back when I lived in Lagos back in the days, when I lived in newyork and now on a regular basis here in Chicago. There is no Flag somewhere that says if you are plowing this road, there will ALWAYS be traffic. If you experience traffic regularly on a road, all you need to do is try different times to find out when it is usually easier to take the same road.
You experience this on buses and trains too. You leave the office 20 minutes early(before 5.00pm) and you are more likely to get a seat on the train. Leave at 5.00pm on the dot and your chances of finding a seat on the train is nil until about 6:30pm.
Re: Should I Get A Second Car Or A Nanny? by Leadn(m): 10:37am On Dec 10, 2012
The best thing is to buy your wife a car...

My guess is you're already waking up early, btw I have this aunt who wakes up as early as 3:45am takes her bath prepares, wakes her children , prepare them and them and zoom off (from mainland Ajao Estate to Island) everyday. She leaves by 4:30am takes the kids to a neigbhour whose wards attend same school.

My advice is get your wife a car if you can afford to maintain it...
Re: Should I Get A Second Car Or A Nanny? by Nobody: 11:11am On Dec 10, 2012
Since ur wife is working , get her car and let her fuel it.
This wil even help u & ur family to hav enuff rest. I dnt know where u stay but if u leave ur house 6am, u wl get 2island b4 730am .
Re: Should I Get A Second Car Or A Nanny? by Nobody: 12:36pm On Dec 10, 2012
Get a driver to drive ur wife and kids while you take a bus to work. You are a man and should sacrifice for ur family. With time ur finances will improve and u can afford a second car. At this stage in ur life i don't think having 2 cars is a piece of cake. Just make a little sacrifice.
I was once exactly in ur shoes and made the same sacrifice. Today things have improved and we both have cars now.
Re: Should I Get A Second Car Or A Nanny? by Callotti: 9:05pm On Dec 11, 2012
Money enough to buy both! cool

(1) (Reply)

He Is Nice But Does Not Have Savings Culturehi / Mother Stabs Twin Babies To Death And Dropped Corpses In The Toilet / Why Should Blacks Do White Wedding? By Mr.rights

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.