Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,127 members, 7,811,177 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 05:16 AM

The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes - Religion (40) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes (208794 Views)

Poll: Tithe-paying is

An old-testament law: 55% (74 votes)
A new-testament requirement too: 44% (60 votes)
This poll has ended

Imagine You Own This Ride And Your Pastor Asked You To Sow A Seed With It / The Truth Your Pastor Would Not Tell You About Tithes: Tithing Is Unscriptural U / What Apostle Paul Had To Say About Tithes And Other Heretic Teachings (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (37) (38) (39) (40) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by Image123(m): 4:58pm On Dec 31, 2018
scarphase:

I beg to differ! Giving to the poor is the surest way to give to God. Have you come across the passage that says whatever you do to the least of my brother that you do unto me. Math 25 vs 31 to 40! Careful about what you say. God is passionate about the less privileged

And what if the poor is not "my brother"?
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by brocab: 12:13am On Jan 02, 2019
God paid tithes to the Levites-they were the car park attendants, they made the coffee, they cleaned the temple daily, they were the door keepers, they polish the floors the walls and the gold and silver, and rightly speaking they fed the poor, so 10% of food from $200 is $20 worth of food is given to Arron the high priest for his services!
So if the Church received $200 worth of food and 10% go's to the Pastor, then he should collect $20 worth of food for His services, if he receives more then that of the tithes 'he is robbing God!
So if we were to obey the law on old testament tithing 'then it should be right for us to tithe to the coffee makers, the car park attendants, the cleaners, and the poor, and if we were to give what is rightly written in scripture to the Pastor, then 10%-is all he receives.
Image123:

1 Like

Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by ProjectNaija(m): 9:08am On Jan 02, 2019
Image123:

Jesus considered the poor as his brethen, if you think they are not your brothers, you can't possibly be a follower of Christ.

2 Likes

Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by brocab: 7:35pm On Jan 02, 2019
If we were to study tithes, and if tithes were for us to practice now, then why wasn't USA practicing tithes before 1873..
If anybody would like to read further about tithes, and how it began, look up>1873: TITHING FIRST SUGGESTED IN USA
The following 2007 book by the dean of Vanderbilt Unvierssity traces the methods used to finance churches in the United States. It is extremely revealing and proves that tithing was neither taught nor practiced in the United States until the very earliest year of 1873 when it was first suggested.
In Pursuit of the Almighty’s Dollar, by James Hudnut-Beumler, 2007, Vanderbilt
1895: Tithing was first introduced to the Southern Baptist Convention on May 11, 1895. The convention urged state conventions to educated the people. And the system was REJECTED by the people. E. Y. Mullen was among those who supported this recommendation. He was also a SBC President and the leader of the committee which did NOT insert any tithing texts into the 1925 SBC Faith and Message. The article was published in the New York Times on May 12, 1895, titled Recommended the Tithing System.

(100) Versteeg attacked their most cherished and basic claim that tithing was God’s law and had actually been consistently practiced during the biblical era. Versteeg’s view was the first stewardship book to be written from a historical-critical hermeneutic. “With singular unanimity biblical scholars agree” he wrote “as to the confusing touching the tithe,” and he cited the great biblical exegetes of his day to the effect that the data simply did not support any consistent account of the tithe in biblical times. Versteeg accused tithing advocates of twisting the evidence maintaining that “in the face of this men should assert for the tithe binding authority seems incredible! A fair perusal of Scripture fails to bear out their claim.

[116] 1928: Church Finance: Raising, Spending, Accounting, William Leach, Methodist. Religious leaders might agree that the Bible taught the stewardship of wealth, but church history revealed no evidence that the primitive church had any fixed idea of the tithe or an approved plan for dividing wealth for the support of the church. Leach allowed that this was probably less a problem for the early church since there were no salaries for preachers or expenditures for church buildings.
(119) In a direct counter to the storehouse tithing movement of a generation earlier, Leach ... “it is an unwise church which insists on receiving the full tithe.”
(122-123) 1928: George Morelock, Methodist. If the person were to give from a sense of coercion, or out of the desire to popularity, or to pay for something, or to do his share, or grudgingly, then the giving, in Murdock’s view, could never be spiritual.
Conclusion: The idea of tithing did not even emerge as a discussion in American churches before the 1870s. It is a relatively new doctrine.
But not from God!!!!!

2 Likes

Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by Image123(m): 8:50am On Jan 03, 2019
ProjectNaija:

Jesus considered the poor as his brethen, if you think they are not your brothers, you can't possibly be a follower of Christ.

Don't be doing hasty generalisation, the year is young. What Jesus said was to give preference to Himself/God above the poor. It's good to help poor brethren, but not all the poor are brethren and not all the brethren are poor.

1 Like

Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by ProjectNaija(m): 10:57am On Jan 03, 2019
Image123:

Don't be doing hasty generalisation, the year is young. What Jesus said was to give preference to Himself/God above the poor. It's good to help poor brethren, but not all the poor are brethren and not all the brethren are poor.

Jesus said giving to the poor is the same as giving to him or God. Don't get it twisted. If you want to give to God, give to the poor. You don't need to start twisting scriptures to suit your agenda.

3 Likes

Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by Image123(m): 5:40pm On Jan 04, 2019
ProjectNaija:

Jesus said giving to the poor is the same as giving to him or God. Don't get it twisted. If you want to give to God, give to the poor. You don't need to start twisting scriptures to suit your agenda.

You're the one twisting it. It is very clear and straight to the point, "my brethren"

Matthew25:40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by MrPresident1: 11:32pm On Jan 04, 2019
Image123:

You're the one twisting it. It is very clear and straight to the point, "my brethren"

Matthew25:40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

In that story of the good Samaritan, how does the injured man qualify as brethren?
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by ProjectNaija(m): 10:28am On Jan 05, 2019
Image123:

Read in proper context from verse 31, Jesus made it crystal clear that his brethen he is referring to are the poor and less privilege.

1 Like

Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by Image123(m): 8:55pm On Jan 06, 2019
ProjectNaija:

Read in proper context from verse 31, Jesus made it crystal clear that his brethen he is referring to are the poor and less privilege.

Mat 25:31  When the Son of man shall come in his glory, and all the holy angels with him, then shall he sit upon the throne of his glory: 
Mat 25:32  And before him shall be gathered all nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth his sheep from the goats: 
Mat 25:33  And he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left. 
Mat 25:34  Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world: 
Mat 25:35  For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in: 
Mat 25:36  Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me. 
Mat 25:37  Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink? 
Mat 25:38  When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee? 
Mat 25:39  Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee? 
Mat 25:40  And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me. 
Mat 25:41  Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels: 
Mat 25:42  For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink: 
Mat 25:43  I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not. 
Mat 25:44  Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee? 
Mat 25:45  Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me.
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by Image123(m): 8:56pm On Jan 06, 2019
MrPresident1:

In that story of the good Samaritan, how does the injured man qualify as brethren?

Are we talking about the good Samaritan?
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by brocab: 2:01pm On Feb 22, 2019
I remember the day's when I was first told about tithing-God didn't tell me to tithe, it was the Church that told me I had to tithe. At the time, as a young Christian I never understood tithing, it never made sense, why a God would freely call us into His kingdom for the money?
I played the game-but my heart was never there, the problem was, I was seeking after the truth, I read the scriptures over and over and still, the tithing I had read, wasn't the tithing the Church claims today!
The tithing system had caused so much trouble within the body of Christ-reading {1 Timothy 6:3-5} the Lord tells us to withdraw ourselves from men of corrupt minds, who are destitute of the truth who suppose that godliness is the means to their financial gain..
Look at Kenneth Copeland, if the Church could afford to pay out the money this man earns in one day-Africa would be free from starving, the world wouldn't have to live in poverty, everybody would live like those in a non poverty state..
If these men and women were from God-then why doesn't the Church prosper as good as these who live in mega mansions, build mega Churches, and drive and fly mega machines? And why doesn't this line up with the Word of God?
Image123:

Mat 25:31  When the Son of man shall come in his glory, and all the holy angels with him, then shall he sit upon the throne of his glory: 
Mat 25:32  And before him shall be gathered all nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth his sheep from the goats: 
Mat 25:33  And he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left. 
Mat 25:34  Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world: 
Mat 25:35  For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in: 
Mat 25:36  Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me. 
Mat 25:37  Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink? 
Mat 25:38  When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee? 
Mat 25:39  Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee? 
Mat 25:40  And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me. 
Mat 25:41  Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels: 
Mat 25:42  For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink: 
Mat 25:43  I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not. 
Mat 25:44  Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee? 
Mat 25:45  Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me.

1 Like

Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by Image123(m): 2:27pm On Feb 22, 2019
brocab:
I remember the day's when I was first told about tithing-God didn't tell me to tithe, it was the Church that told me I had to tithe. At the time, as a young Christian I never understood tithing, it never made sense, why a God would freely call us into His kingdom for the money?
I played the game-but my heart was never there, the problem was, I was seeking after the truth, I read the scriptures over and over and still, the tithing I had read, wasn't the tithing the Church claims today!
The tithing system had caused so much trouble within the body of Christ-reading {1 Timothy 6:3-5} the Lord tells us to withdraw ourselves from men of corrupt minds, who are destitute of the truth who suppose that godliness is the means to their financial gain..
Look at Kenneth Copeland, if the Church could afford to pay out the money this man earns in one day-Africa would be free from starving, the world wouldn't have to live in poverty, everybody would live like those in a non poverty state..
If these men and women were from God-then why doesn't the Church prosper as good as these who live in mega mansions, build mega Churches, and drive and fly mega machines? And why doesn't this line up with the Word of God?

Lying for Jesus will get you into hell fire oh.
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by brocab: 2:01pm On Feb 23, 2019
Now I am glad this had got your attention-then maybe if you could explain yourself-who told you that the Gentile Christians should tithe, and if you haven't any evidence to prove tithing is for the Church today-then why preach it as it has power to your word?
We have all been down this merry-go-round, but it takes just a few little steps to know the truth about tithing>Jesus said: first seek the kingdom of God and all things shall be added to you!
So the Church seeks after health and wealth-they teach martial merchandise and having your best life now is God's blessings to you! Tithers are taught, blessed is he who tithe, then those who don't tithe...
But what do you say:
Image123:
Is it so much a lie when I defend the bible-when the scriptures tells me, the command to tithe was given only to the Jewish people, "Not the Gentiles!
The tithe was intended to provide for the upkeep of the Temple in Jerusalem and to support the Priesthood who owned no land and did not work to support themselves. these day's there is no longer any need to support a priesthood made up of people who do not own land or work for a living.
If we were to search the scriptures, and clearly read them, we would find-the tithes were paid directly to the Levites-not priest-the levites were the cleaners, they were the car-park attendants, they set up the seats, they stood at the door greeting people, they set up the stage, they played the music, they sang the songs, 23% yearly they received food products, and gave the high Priest Aaron that year only 10% of food products-the rest of the food products were disputed between their families, friends the poor the stranger, the widows etc, etc, etc...
Image123:

1 Like

Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by Image123(m): 2:09pm On Feb 23, 2019
brocab:
Now I am glad this had got your attention-then maybe if you could explain yourself-who told you that the Gentile Christians should tithe, and if you haven't any evidence to prove tithing is for the Church today-then why preach it as it has power to your word?
We have all been down this merry-go-round, but it takes just a few little steps to know the truth about tithing>Jesus said: first seek the kingdom of God and all things shall be added to you!
So the Church seeks after health and wealth-they teach martial merchandise and having your best life now is God's blessings to you! Tithers are taught, blessed is he who tithe, then those who don't tithe, Jesus said: first seek the kingdom of God and all things shall be added to you-but what does this mean, seeking after Him is not tithing, seeking after Him means 'study the scriptures, it means show the Lord you are interested to learn His will, and In His name ask and it shall be given..
But what do you say:
Is it so much a lie when I defend the bible-when the scriptures tells me, the command to tithe was given only to the Jewish people, "Not the Gentiles!
The tithe was intended to provide for the upkeep of the Temple in Jerusalem and to support the Priesthood who owned no land and did not work to support themselves. these day's there is no longer any need to support a priesthood made up of people who do not own land or work for a living.
If we were to search the scriptures, and clearly read them, we would find-the tithes were paid directly to the Levites-not priest-the levites were the cleaners, they were the car-park attendants, they set up the seats, they stood at the door, they set up the stage, they played the music, they sang the songs, 23% yearly they received tithes, and gave the high Priest Aaron that year only 10%-the rest of the tithes were disputed between they families, the poor the stranger, the widows etc etc etc.But no tithes built mega homes, mega temples, like it is today!!

Exactly, merry go round, you seem to love it.
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by brocab: 2:13pm On Feb 23, 2019
Now you are here let us hear you verdict, tell us, who told you that the Gentile Christians should tithe, and if you haven't any evidence to prove tithing is for the Church today-then why preach it as it has power to your word?
Image123:

Exactly, merry go round, you seem to love it.
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by Image123(m): 4:09pm On Feb 23, 2019
brocab:
Now you are here let us hear you verdict, tell us, who told you that the Gentile Christians should tithe, and if you haven't any evidence to prove tithing is for the Church today-then why preach it as it has power to your word?

So you can actually type two clear lines instead of the usual confused ramble? Who told you that gentiles should not tithe? Is there a punishment or commandment that forbid them?
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by brocab: 1:14pm On Feb 24, 2019
I would only expect someone like a pastor to return an answer like yours, so the Word is ramble jumble-If Gentiles were to tithe, the bible would have said so: if Christians were to tithe-the bible would have told us that as well!
But sadly it doesn't tell us to tithe-and if we were to tithe the old way-we shouldn't break the rules like the tithers do today!
And if tithing was so much in line with scripture-today-then at least Jesus should had been a good example to collect tithes-and tithed-and if we were to become like Jesus-then why does man expect the Church to tithe from wages to a non taxable profit, that has no interest..
Is this clear for you to understand?
Image123:

So you can actually type two clear lines instead of the usual confused ramble? Who told you that gentiles should not tithe? Is there a punishment or commandment that forbid them?
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by brocab: 2:56pm On Feb 24, 2019
Image 123, I have asked you, your reasons why you tithe, as usual you haven't given me your time of day-to explain why? "Next questions if tithing is a big deal to you, then how much do you make, spreading the Word of God?
There are seven decisive reasons for saying Christians are not required to tithe.
1. Believers are no longer under the Mosaic covenant {Romans 6:14–15; 7:5–6, Galatians 3:15–4:7, 2 Corinthians 3:4–18}
The commands stipulated in the Mosaic covenant are no longer in force for believers. Some appeal to the division between the civil, ceremonial, and moral law to support tithing.
Yet these divisions, I would observe, are not the basis Paul uses when addressing how the law applies to us today. And even if we use these distinctions, tithing is clearly not part of the moral law. It’s true the moral norms of the Old Testament are still in force today, and we discern them from the law of Christ in the New Testament, but tithing is not among these commands.
2. Some think tithing is required because both Abraham and Jacob gave a tenth, and they both lived before the Mosaic covenant was in place. Such examples hardly prove tithing is for all time, however. Abraham’s gift to Melchizedek was a one-time event; there is no evidence he regularly gave God a tenth.
Jacob’s giving of a tenth signified his gratefulness to God for promising to be with him and to protect him. His gratefulness and generosity still speak to us today, but a historical description of what Jacob gave doesn’t support the idea that all believers must give God a tenth of their income.
3. Tithes were given to the Levites and priests, but there are no Levites and priests in the new covenant.
Levites and priests were tied to the sacrificial system of the old covenant. Now all believers are priests {1 Peter 2:9, Revelation 1:6, 5:10, 20:6} with Jesus as our Melchizedekian high priest {Hebrews 7}
Israel was supposed to celebrate a tithe every three years in Jerusalem. But that requirement cannot apply to Christians today. It related to the Jews as a nation—to Jews who lived in the land of promise. With the coming of Christ, the Jewish nation is no longer the locus of God’s people, though individual Jews are part of the church through faith in Jesus.

The earthly Jerusalem is no longer central in God’s purposes {Galatians 4:25} Believers are part of the heavenly Jerusalem {Galatians 4:26} and look forward to the city to come {Hebrews 11:10} to the new heavens and new earth {Revelations 21:1–22:5} Abraham isn’t heir of the land of Israel, but of the whole world {Romans 4:13}
5. If tithing is required today, how much should we give? As noted above, the number was certainly more than 10 percent and closer to 20 percent. Those who advocate tithing should probably settle on 20 percent. "Do you tithe 20%?
6. Some defend tithing by saying Jesus praised tithing, even if he said it was less important than other things {Matthew 23:23, Luke 11:42}
This argument appears strong, but it’s not persuasive. Jesus also mentioned offering sacrifices in the temple, {Matthew 5:23–24} but Christians don’t think—even if the temple were rebuilt—that we should do that. Our Lord’s words are understandable when we think about his location in redemptive history.
Jesus spoke about sacrifices and tithing before the cross and resurrection, before the dawn of the new covenant.
He used tithing and sacrifices as illustrations when addressing his contemporaries. He kept the law since he was “born under the law”
{Galatians 4:4} But we can no more take his words as a commendation for tithing today than we can his words about offering sacrifices.
7. Nowhere is tithing mentioned when commands to give generously are found in the New Testament.
When Christians are instructed to give to the poor, they aren’t commanded to give “the poor tithe.”
Instead, they are instructed to be generous in helping those in need {Acts 2:43–47, 4:32–37, 11:27–30, Galatians 2:10, 1 Corinthians 16:1–4; 2 Corinthians 8:1–9:15} For example, {1 Corinthians 16:1–14} a passage often cited in popular circles in support—doesn’t mention tithing; it relates to a one-time gift for poor saints in Jerusalem.

1 Like

Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by Image123(m): 5:33pm On Feb 24, 2019
brocab:
I would only expect someone like a pastor to return an answer like yours, so the Word is ramble jumble-If Gentiles were to tithe, the bible would have said so: if Christians were to tithe-the bible would have told us that as well!
But sadly it doesn't tell us to tithe-and if we were to tithe the old way-we shouldn't break the rules like the tithers do today!
And if tithing was so much in line with scripture-today-then at least Jesus should had been a good example to collect tithes-and tithed-and if we were to become like Jesus-then why does man expect the Church to tithe from wages to a non taxable profit, that has no interest..
Is this clear for you to understand?

No, you're rambling again. We've been through this many times. You failed to produce your assumed rule. Again, if it's tithe, what's the fuss about?
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by Image123(m): 5:35pm On Feb 24, 2019
double post
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by brocab: 2:34pm On Feb 26, 2019
If you seen your blind friend walking on the rail tracks not paying attention, and behind him a train was coming-would you scream, yell send the alarm or cast a stone to get his attention to get of the tracks, all would you sit back and allow the train to run over him!
Over time I have read "the many Christians trying to reach out to you, and still you reject the Word of God without reason, you come across with some sort of an bad attitude-you are like "one" walking on those tracks-blind and destitute.
I have noticed every time you bring tithing forward-you don't seem to handle the rejections to well, "why preach tithing in the first place, why bring up a subject that doesn't line up with scripture anyway?
And I am sure we all agree we will defend the Word of God-so I ask you-can you show me in scripture, where you see tithing is practiced still" in this day and age...
When a tither enters in a room they sound a trumpet, "bagging how blessed they are-I don't care if you tithe-that's between you and who you tithe with: God say's-give in secret? So why do you tithe, and announce it like there's no tomorrow.
What does scripture say? But when you give to the needy, {Where in fact you don't give to the needy} do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your giving may be in secret. And your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.
{Matthew 6:3-4}
"I know, not only I, but I am sure we all agree on bible knowledge-and we all agree we have received the Holy Spirit to teach us all things concerning bible literature. But what I don't understand-is why God allows you to tithe-when in fact-He tells us not to tithe a percentage, but Give 'all or less!!
{Matthew 6:26} Look at the birds of the air, for they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feeds them.
Are you not of more value than they?
{Neither do I sow nor reap nor gather into barns, and the Lord also feeds me too.}
Image123:

No, you're rambling again. We've been through this many times. You failed to produce your assumed rule. Again, if it's tithe, what's the fuss about?

3 Likes

Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by Nobody: 9:53am On Apr 26, 2019
KunleOshob:
The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes

“And my people shall know the truth and the truth shall set them free” John 8:32

“ will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed me. But ye say where in have we robbed thee?  In tithes and offerings. Ye are cursed with a curse for ye have robbed me even this whole nation. Bring ye all the tithes into the store house and prove me now here with saith the lord of hosts if I will not open the windows of heaven and pour out a blessing, that there would not be room enough to receive it” Malachi 3 : 8 – 10

The above quoted scripture is probably one of the most quoted scripture in the bible. Unfortunately it is being quoted out of context and used as a weapon of mass intimidation, manipulation, extortion, oppression, cajolery and outright lies and deceit by some church leaders to collect ten percent of the gross income of their church members who have been hoodwinked into believing that they are doing God’s will.
Before I go into the details of this discourse, I want to state categorically that I am a God loving, bible believing Christian who as the fear of God in his heart. I am also not writing this article to undermine any church or pastor but to let people realize the truth about tithes and remove the yoke of tithes being placed by some pastors upon them. I also want to state categorically that I strongly believe in giving to the church for the sole purpose of propagating God’s work and the Christian ministry. I would also continue to encourage all Christians to give their all to God as exemplified by the widow’s mite which Jesus Christ himself referred to in the bible.

Now back to Malachi 3 : 8 – 10, the first question one should ask is that who was this message directed at? The answer lies in the book of numbers 18 : 25 -28 which states that “the lord commanded Moses to say to the Levites when you receive from the Israelites the tithe that the lord gives you as your possession, you must present a tenth of it as a special contribution to the lord. This special contribution will be considered as the equivalent of the offering which the farmer makes of new grain and wine. In this way you would also present the special contribution which belongs to the lord from all the tithes which you receive from the Israelites. You are to give this special contribution for the lord to Aaron the priest” from the above it is clear that it was the Levites that were directed to pay a tithe of the tithe they collected from the Israelites to the priest who represents God and not the people of Israel. It was this Levites that were being referred to in the book of Malachi as those who rob God. A thorough study of the book of Malachi would reveal that in those days the Levites were collecting the tithe from the people of Israel and not remitting a tithe of it to the house of God, hence Malachi’s statement which is now being quoted out of context. To understand what tithes really means one would have to understand the social reasons and cultural / religious setting within which it was situated this concept of tithes was properly explained in the bible as stated in the laws of the tithe which can be found in the books of Leviticus 27 : 30 – 34, Numbers 18 : 25 – 31 and Deuteronomy 14 : 22 – 29. Upon reading this passages one would understand what tithes really means, but unfortunately most pastors prefer to neglect these passages that tell us the true meaning of tithes and emphasize on Malachi 3 : 8 - 10 which was directed to the Levites of that time to remit the priest’s share of the tithes they collected to him. It is worthy of note that Malachi does not even define what tithes is and how it should be paid. The definition of tithes as practiced today was manufactured by modern day pastors to suit their purpose as it is completely in contrast with what is in the bible and it only seeks to manipulate Christians to believe that God requests 10 per cent of their gross income from them.

So what is tithes and why did God request it be paid to the Levites? The answer can be found in the following passages : Leviticus 27 : 30 – 32 which states that “one tenth of the produce of the land, whether grain or fruit belongs to the lord. If a man wishes to buy back any of it he must pay the standard price plus an additional 20 per cent. One in every ten domestic animal belongs to the lord when the animals are counted, every tenth one belongs to the lord.”  And Deuteronomy 26 : 12 which states that “ every third year give the tithe a tenth of your crops to the Levites, the foreigners, the orphans and the widows, so that in every community they will have all they need to eat” The above quoted passages clearly tells us what tithes is and the reason why God directed the people of Israel to pay tithes. It is very evident that it was a social arrangement for the less privileged in the Jewish society of that time, it was also meant to take care of the Levites because they have no land or property of their own. (today pastors are amongst the wealthiest property owners in Nigeria). This social arrangement is obviously not relevant to us today. It also states that every third year is the year of tithing not the weekly/monthly tithes being extorted from church members today. Another passage that illustrates the true meaning of tithes properly and also states clearly that tithe is not money is Deuteronomy 14 : 22 -29 which states that “ set aside a tithe a tenth of all that your fields produce each year then go to the one place where the lord your God as chosen to be worshiped and there in his presence eat the tithes of your grain, wine  and olive oil and first born of your cattle and sheep. Do this so that you may learn to have reverence for the lord your God always. If the place of worship is too far from your home for you to carry there the tithe of the produce that the lord has blessed you with, then sell your produce and take the money with you to the one place of worship spend it on whatever you want beef, lamb, wine, beer and there in the presence of the lord you and your family are to eat and enjoy yourselves. Do not neglect the Levites who live in your towns for they have no property of their own. At the end of every third year bring the tithe of all your crops and store it in your towns. This is food for the Levites since they own no property and for the orphans, foreigners and widows who live in your towns. Do this and the lord your God would bless you in everything you do” from the above passage, it is very clear that tithe is not money and it is not the exclusive preserve of the Levites (church). It was a religious practice in those days to give reverence to God and to celebrate God in his place of worship. The Levites were only included for the main reason that they have no land of their own and that reason is not relevant in today’s society. Yet some pastors would tell you that you are cursed and would not go to heaven if you don’t give them 10% of your gross income. All this hypocrisy would not have bothered me if all the money being collected was being used to propagate God’s work, but the truth as we all know today is that this money is being used to finance lavish, flamboyant and exotic life styles that is unbecoming of a man who truly claims to serve God as a pastor who is expected to be meek and humble like our lord Jesus Christ was.
As a concluding part to this article, I would want to refer us to the book of Hebrews which was written to the early Christians, this provides irrefutable proof that Christians are not meant to pay tithes as the priesthood of our lord Jesus Christ does not require it. Hebrews 7 : 5,which states that “ and those descendants of Levi who are priests are commanded by the law to collect one tenth from the people of Israel  that is from there own country men even though their country men are also descendants of Abraham” from this verse we can jump to verse 11 - 13 which states that “it was on the basis of the Levitical priesthood that the law was given to the people of Israel. Now if the work of the Levitical priests had been perfect there would be no need for a different kind of priest to appear, one who is in the priestly order of Melchizedek not of Aaron. For when the priesthood is changed, there also has to be a change in the law. And our lord of whom these things are said belonged to a different tribe and no member of his tribe ever served as a priest. It is well known that he was born a member of the tribe of Judah and Moses did not mention his tribe when he spoke of priests” The above passage is self explanatory and it’s states clearly that the practice of tithing has no place under the priestly order of our lord Jesus Christ in fact the passage suggests that the collection of tithes is belittling of the priestly order of our lord Jesus Christ. It states that it is wrong for us as Christians to receive or pay tithes and is not relevant to us as Christians because we belong to a superior priestly order.

Once again I would like to state that this article is not meant for us as Christians to revolt against the church or our pastors, it is just meant to establish the biblical truth about tithes and remove the yoke from people who labour to pay tithes ( not required of them by God) while their pastors are living luxuriously. Today many pastors see the church as their personal business and even fraudulent people are opening up churches so that they can have access to people’s tithes and use it for their personal aggrandizement. I encourage all of us as Christians to remain vigilant and continue to serve God in truth and in faith to the glory of his holy name. Amen.

PS:
Another point of note is: how come out of the 613 biblical laws of Moses which were handed out to the people of Israel, it is only an adulterated version of the law of tithe that is still being practised today, apart from the Ten Commandments? How come we are no longer required to offer burnt sacrifices? How come we no longer stone people to death for sinning? The truth is that only tithing was dug out of the laws of Moses because it presents material benefits to the collectors of tithes. Given that most Christians do not study their bibles and depend on their priests to guide them through, it was easy for pastors to pick a passage in the bible (Malachi 3 : 8-10), quote it out of context and use it to manipulate the flock into parting with 10 per cent of their income. Furthermore, it is worthy of note that neither Jesus Christ nor any of the apostles ever preached about or collected tithe. In fact, in the bible, Jesus Christ only spoke about tithes in Luke 11:42 which states that: “But woe unto you Pharisees! For ye tithe mint and rue all manner of herbs, and pass over judgement and the love of God: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.” Here we can see that Jesus Christ is rebuking the Pharisees for laying emphasis on tithes instead of the more important things of the spirit, like our pastors are doing today.

In Acts 15, we find outlined what the apostles all agreed was necessary for the newly converted Gentiles to practise, and by inspiration of the Holy Spirit of God, tithing is conspicuously missing. Yet, what is one of the very first legislated duties taught to Gentile converts by the Church today? It is that they must tithe their annual salaries to the Church. Where did this unscriptural law of Christian tithing come from?

Notice this telling bit of history from the Encyclopaedia Britannica (1963, volume 22, page 253, ‘TITHES’). “Tithes in Christendom—The earliest authentic example of anything like a law of the State enforcing payment appears to occur in the capitularies [Ecclesiasticals] of Charlemagne at the end of the 8th or beginning of the 9th century. Tithes were, by that enactment, to be applied to the maintenance of the bishop, clergy, the poor, and the fabric of the church. In the course of time the principle of payment of tithes was extended far beyond its original intention. Thus, they became transferable to laymen and saleable like ordinary property, despite the injunctions of the third Lateran Council; and they became payable out of sources of income [not just farming and herding, but other trades and occupations and salaries paid in the form of money] not originally tithable.”

The Catholic Church knows its own history. Here is how tithing got back into the Church after being absent for nearly five centuries:

“As the Church expanded and various institutions arose, it became necessary to make laws which would insure the proper and permanent support of the clergy. The payment of tithes was adopted from the Old Law… The earliest positive legislation on the subject seems to be contained in the letter of the bishops assembled at Tours in 567 and the [canons] of the Council of Macon in 585.”—The Catholic Encyclopaedia.

They “extended” their base of tithe collecting to eventually include all forms of income. All Christian scholars know that although money was in wide use in ancient Israel, it was never a titheable commodity. But modern pastors don’t want tithes of goats or oil or corn, they want money–cold, hard cash! God has a word to the “shepherds of the sheep”, and it is the very same message that He had for the Levites in the book of Malachi. And it is this:

“My people have been lost sheep, their shepherds have caused them to go astray” (Jer. 50:6).

Were Israelites aware that they were being led astray by their spiritual leaders? Not most, and neither are Christians today aware that they are being led astray by their spiritual leaders.

What is tithe?
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by Gab25: 10:34am On Apr 26, 2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mj4FBQSa8lY just laugh...when your village people are actively on your matter.. grin
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by brocab: 3:59am On Jun 08, 2019
Are you a pastor? Are you Preaching the tithing message?
Our father in heaven Hallowed be your name, ''Your kingdom come, ''Your will be done, ''On earth as it is in heaven, ''Give us this day our daily bread, ""And forgive us our {Debts} As we forgive our {Debtors} And do not lead us into {Temptation}.
Our debts and our debtors are forgiven-tithing didn't operate in America before 1873 before that no-one collected tithes-after {1873} the Word of Faith moment began, it doesn't matter where we fellowship, either it's-Religious or Pentecostal, how big or small your Church maybe, "Mammon had taken hold of your minds, you have joined the "Ban wagon teaching the other doctrine Paul had warned us about.
While our countries are still poor, hungry, thirsty, cold and living in poverty at a dying rate.
{2 Corinthians 11:4, 1 Corinthians 9:18 } For if someone comes to you and preaches a Jesus other than the Jesus we preached, or if you receive a different spirit from the Spirit you received, or a different gospel from the one you accepted, you may put up with it.
Paul also preaches the gospel free of Charge..
It is man’s choice whether to accept and believe the truth of Jesus Christ as presented in the Scriptures. To receive the truth and the love God offers is in keeping with its teachings, “This is love for God: to obey His commands” {1 John 5:3} Conversely, to know the truth and not obey it is to face the wrath of God: “The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of men who suppress the truth by their wickedness” {Romans 1:18}
Frankly speaking, there is no more dangerous condition for man than to know the truth and refuse to obey it. To do so is to harden the heart and make God’s condemnation sure.
Paul said: What then is my reward? Just this: that in preaching the gospel I may offer it free of charge..
The collections were collected to feed the need, and if the Word of God is preached for free-then the land will surely be blessed-just as God said, {Malachi 3:10} "Bring the full tithe into the storehouse, so that there may be food in My house. Test Me in this,” says the LORD of Hosts. “See if I will not open the floodgates of heaven and pour out for you blessing without measure.
Satan tried to temp Jesus in the wild..
{Matthew 4} Then Jesus was led up by the spirit into the wilderness to be tempted by the devil.
And when he had fasted forty days and forty nights, afterward he was hungry. Now when the tempter {The devil} came to him, he said: "if You are the son of God, command that these stones become bread" Jesus answered and said:" it is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every {WORD} that proceeds from the mouth of God.
Then the devil took Him up into the Holy city, set him on a pinnacle of the temple, and said: to him, "If you are the son of God, throw yourself down, For it is written: He shall give His angels charge concerning you,' and "In their hands they shall bear you up, Lest you dash your foot against a stone. "Jesus said: to him, "It is written again, "You shall not {Tempt} the Lord your God, again, the devil took him up on an exceedingly high mountain, and showed Him all the kingdoms of the world and their glory, and said: to him,"all these things I will give you if you will fall down and worship me, "then Jesus said: to him, "Away with you Satan, ''for it is written, you shall worship the Lord your God, and him only you shall {SERVE}
Satan said: all these things I will give you if you will fall down and worship me.
{2 Thessalonians 2:10-12} Every wicked deception directed against those who are perishing, because they refused the love of the truth that would have saved them, ''For this reason, God will send them a powerful delusion so that they will believe the lie, in order that judgment will come upon all who have disbelieved the truth and delighted in wickedness.…
Don't be fooled, test everything, read your bible's-because the truth will set you free. God can not be tempted....
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by emmyileri(m): 9:21pm On Mar 21, 2022

(1) (2) (3) ... (37) (38) (39) (40) (Reply)

The Doctrine Of The Ufos / Cultism, The Spiritual Consequences And Deliverance Through Christ / Must Read!!why And How I Became A Satanist

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 153
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.