Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,441 members, 7,823,029 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 10:00 PM

A Parent's Worst Fear - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / A Parent's Worst Fear (2053 Views)

A Parent's Level Of Patience Is Eternal... (hillarious Pic) / Photos Of The Day! As A Parent, What Will Be Ur Reaction? / Old Age....what Is Your Worst Fear? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Parent's Worst Fear by True2myself24(f): 7:03am On Dec 15, 2012
Today I heard some very sad news that I have not heard since the Virginia Tech shooting. In Connecticut, A young man walked into an elementary school at 9am Friday, and shot twenty children from the ages of 5-10, and six teachers. As a teacher my worst fear is to be with my students and to have something like this happen. What do you do? How do you shield them from harm? And my heart goes out to every parent who was called and told that their child was murdered for no reason at all. For all you parents out there, never take anything for granted. I'm sure these parents dropped off their children with the intent of picking them up after school, but unfortunately they will be picking up what remains of their child. Yes, Kids can be annoying sometimes and they can be a handfull, but never forget to tell them you love them, for you may never get another chance. May their souls rest in peace sad

Read more for the full story
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/15/nyregion/shooting-reported-at-connecticut-elementary-school.html
Re: A Parent's Worst Fear by Nobody: 8:06am On Dec 15, 2012
Re: A Parent's Worst Fear by Nobody: 9:20am On Dec 15, 2012
I cried when I heard this news today. This incident was extremely hard to take for anyone, talk less of parents with young children. Very distressing, and I can't even begin to think of what the parents of the victims are going through. Shooting up a kindergarten class?! Ah! This is beyond evil!
Re: A Parent's Worst Fear by achi4u(m): 10:16am On Dec 15, 2012
What a curel world?
Re: A Parent's Worst Fear by slimchi2k2(m): 4:04pm On Dec 15, 2012
i dont no what is real wrong with some people shootin innocent children that do nothing to them,GOD why dont u take this silly people life anytime them think of this kind act,how many time this year
Re: A Parent's Worst Fear by Nobody: 4:32pm On Dec 15, 2012
@Poster
there is only one thing to do in such event, run for cover and save yourself........because as much as you may try to be "heroic" in such instance, you can never cure/understand CRAZY. that person who did that is CRAZY, and unless you have a magic potion to cure CRAZY, you should simply do what is right to stay alive and go back home to your family, and hug them a little stronger that night.

too many people get killed because they think they can change the world doing crazy action and dying in the same process! it is human nature to protect yourself, and there is nothing shameful/wrong about it.
Re: A Parent's Worst Fear by Nobody: 5:22pm On Dec 15, 2012
I watched it yesterday as it happened on CNN .... there was a little boy in the hallway that a teacher pulled inside her classroom to save him from the shooter .....very sad, this is where I have jitters about public schools.

I strongly have faith in a monitoring device in all schools , these shooting in schools is becoming very common in America especially......schools should have a locked door with pass-codes only parents and teachers can access, it's money we'll spent for rest of mind.
Re: A Parent's Worst Fear by Nobody: 6:48pm On Dec 15, 2012
What is this world turning into sad sad
Re: A Parent's Worst Fear by damiso(f): 7:07pm On Dec 15, 2012
As a mother with young kids this story gave me goose bumps.This whole story is just giving me shivers.Took my daughter to Santa's grotto and she started her drama when we got back.I gave her a sharp smack on her wrist and as soon as i tuned to CNN i realised that the parents of those kids would give anything for their kids drama.I just said bebe come and gave her a tight hug cry.The girl was looking at me like is this woman ok.

May all the souls from this tragedy RIP and only God can comfort the families.
Re: A Parent's Worst Fear by greatgod2012(f): 7:16pm On Dec 15, 2012
may God just have mercy on us, what you described up there took tears frm my eyes, may God grant d parents d fortitude to bear d irreparable loss.
To d innocent kids, i say: RIP

Meanwhile, you got me scared, God make me stronger in you and increase my faith.
Re: A Parent's Worst Fear by True2myself24(f): 8:35pm On Dec 15, 2012
MRbrownJAY: @Poster
there is only one thing to do in such event, run for cover and save yourself........because as much as you may try to be "heroic" in such instance, you can never cure/understand CRAZY. that person who did that is CRAZY, and unless you have a magic potion to cure CRAZY, you should simply do what is right to stay alive and go back home to your family, and hug them a little stronger that night.

too many people get killed because they think they can change the world doing crazy action and dying in the same process! it is human nature to protect yourself, and there is nothing shameful/wrong about it.

That's easy to say until you're in the situation. And I don't think its about being heroic but if you're a teacher you're responsible for 20 something kids. Like I can't imagine what to do if I'm on the playground with all my students and someone starts shooting. I would never be able to live with myself if I ran inside and left them. But like I said you won't know unless you're in that situation. I know God will bless every teacher who helped save a life in that school and to those who died trying, at least they tried.
Re: A Parent's Worst Fear by Nobody: 8:52pm On Dec 15, 2012
True2myself24:
That's easy to say until you're in the situation. And I don't think its about being heroic but if you're a teacher you're responsible for 20 something kids. Like I can't imagine what to do if I'm on the playground with all my students and someone starts shooting. I would never be able to live with myself if I ran inside and left them. But like I said you won't know unless you're in that situation. I know God will bless every teacher who helped save a life in that school and to those who died trying, at least they tried.

as much as you may be right, a teacher is responsible for children IN NORMAL SETTINGS, when a catastrophe like this happens, i am sorry but you have to save yourself before anything else. all this heroic mambo jambo is just for play, even if you dont want to protect yourself, common sense will set in and without knowing, you would probably run for cover.

as for not being to live with yourself, think about the possible orphans that you would leave behind, before doing such action. my duty is to come back home and caring for my kids. if a child dies in a school shootout (whether mine or anyones), the shooter will/should be blamed, NOT the teacher, unless he was superman and bulletproof.

as for the ones who died trying, go tell that their wives and children...... oh well, at least they are dead heroes.
Re: A Parent's Worst Fear by Nobody: 8:58pm On Dec 15, 2012
So MBJ so for example of you're a school bus driver and there's fire at the rear end of the bus with kids.... you'd just flee to save yourself only?

Or you work on a hospital with code red, you won't participate in evacuation process even though the fire is coming at you?

Don't you know it's your responsibility to do that until emergency crew arrive at the site ?

Wow!!!
Re: A Parent's Worst Fear by True2myself24(f): 9:13pm On Dec 15, 2012
MRbrownJAY:

as much as you may be right, a teacher is responsible for children IN NORMAL SETTINGS, when a catastrophe like this happens, i am sorry but you have to save yourself before anything else. all this heroic mambo jambo is just for play, even if you dont want to protect yourself, common sense will set in and without knowing, you would probably run for cover.

as for not being to live with yourself, think about the possible orphans that you would leave behind, before doing such action. my duty is to come back home and caring for my kids. if a child dies in a school shootout (whether mine or anyones), the shooter will/should be blamed, NOT the teacher, unless he was superman and bulletproof.

as for the ones who died trying, go tell that their wives and children...... oh well, at least they are dead heroes.

Once again it's not a matter of being "heroes." When the shots were fired I don't think these teachers were thinking, "oh let me save these kids so CNN can call me a hero." I think they were thinking "I have to keep these kids safe." You're entitled to you're opinions, but I'm speaking from the point of view of a teacher who knows what's its like to have kids depending on you in the midst of chaos. I'm twenty-two and I don't have children yet, my students are my kids for now. But anyway, I can keep speaking in what-ifs but I won't know until I'm in the situation. All the same the lesson learned is dont take life for granted.
Re: A Parent's Worst Fear by Nobody: 9:18pm On Dec 15, 2012
**Just thinking ** hahaha I wonder what some Nigerians will do if they have an option of saving a life on aircraft with you know lipsrsealed.... between them and an infant .... lipsrsealed undecided
Re: A Parent's Worst Fear by Blazay(m): 9:20pm On Dec 15, 2012
Your child is gonna die!
Even with the slightest fever! kiss
Re: A Parent's Worst Fear by Nobody: 9:26pm On Dec 15, 2012
Blazay: Your child is gonna die!
Even with the slightest fever! kiss

Where is the humour in that statement you just made?
Re: A Parent's Worst Fear by Mynd44: 9:26pm On Dec 15, 2012
It is just sad. Very sad
Re: A Parent's Worst Fear by Blazay(m): 9:30pm On Dec 15, 2012
jidegirl12:

Where is the humour in that statement you just made?

If you saw humor in my post, then it must be coming from your sick mind! kiss
Re: A Parent's Worst Fear by Nobody: 9:36pm On Dec 15, 2012
Blazay:

If you saw humor in my post, then it must be coming from your sick mind! kiss

Yup that's what I thought you'd write back !

You meant your sick mind?

I'm not sick nor a psycho that thinks this thread is a place for jokes and kisses symbols!

Get real or let me give that your head a baseball bat whack!!
Re: A Parent's Worst Fear by Blazay(m): 9:45pm On Dec 15, 2012
jidegirl12:

Yup that's what I thought you'd write back !

You meant your sick mind?

I'm not sick nor a psycho that thinks this thread is a place for jokes and kisses symbols!
You have issues Any normal person will not go about attacking others in your usual, low, self-esteemed fashion to cover up your insecurities. You may want to try asking for clarifications, if you don't understend. A psycho-sociopath such as yourself should not even be alive at this time of the year.

Your DANE gods are truly merciful to you!
Keep stalking your superiors all over NL like a SICK, FEATHERLESS BIRD!
Your prerogative!
What an irritant! angry
Re: A Parent's Worst Fear by Nobody: 9:47pm On Dec 15, 2012
Blazay:
You have issue
Any normal person will not go about attacking others in your usual, low, self-esteemed fashion to cover up your insecurities.
You may want to try asking for clarifications, if you don't understend. A psycho-sociopath such

as my family &my children should not even be alive at this time of the year.
Your DANE gods are truly merciful to you!

Yup..... that's what I thought .... what a waste .... next sensible comments to get the thread back on track please!
Re: A Parent's Worst Fear by Blazay(m): 9:54pm On Dec 15, 2012
jidegirl12:

Yup..... that's what I thought .... what a waste .... next sensible comments to get the thread back on track please!

Your usual ijjiotic self!
One year older, and LESS useful to yourself!
Now, take your irritating azzzze off my posts!
You are getting waaaaaay too annoying!
I have never been attracted to follow-follows of the LOWEST grade! You have ABSOLUTELY nothing for me to read!
Last response to this disgusting NL ID of yours!kiss
All the best.
Re: A Parent's Worst Fear by Nobody: 9:55pm On Dec 15, 2012
Blazay:

Your usual ijjiotic self!
One year older, and LESS useful to yourself!
Now, take your irritating azzzze off my posts!
You are getting waaaaaay too annoying!
I have never been attracted to follow-follows of the LOWEST grade!
Last response to this disgusting NL ID of yours!kiss
All the best.

Awww..... cockodoodoodlee!! chicken! Anofia whatever that means!! #emptybarrel#
Re: A Parent's Worst Fear by Nobody: 1:14pm On Dec 16, 2012
True2myself24:
Once again it's not a matter of being "heroes." When the shots were fired I don't think these teachers were thinking, "oh let me save these kids so CNN can call me a hero." I think they were thinking "I have to keep these kids safe." You're entitled to you're opinions, but I'm speaking from the point of view of a teacher who knows what's its like to have kids depending on you in the midst of chaos. I'm twenty-two and I don't have children yet, my students are my kids for now. But anyway, I can keep speaking in what-ifs but I won't know until I'm in the situation. All the same the lesson learned is dont take life for granted.

as a parent, my duty is to come back home and care for the need of my children AT ALL COSTS. i will never put myself in harm's way, and will always protect my family first and foremost. so in such situation, saving myself would be the only thing to do. Unless the teacher was wearing a bullet proof vest, then he should have let the proper authorities deal with the issue. there are protocols involved in such situation, and i doubt what any of the teachers who died did, is part of them.

jidegirl12: So MBJ so for example of you're a school bus driver and there's fire at the rear end of the bus with kids.... you'd just flee to save yourself only?

Or you work on a hospital with code red, you won't participate in evacuation process even though the fire is coming at you?

Don't you know it's your responsibility to do that until emergency crew arrive at the site ?

Wow!!!

this is a completely different situation, as i would be in charge of the bus.....but if a mad man would enter the bus with a bomb strapped to his chest and put himself between me and the kids (with his hand on the trigger), i would stop the bus in front of the nearest police station AND RUN to save myself FIRST and foremost.

all the stuff you wrote is about people doing their jobs, and i doubt a teacher's job is to put their lives in extreme life threatening danger. if a mad person enter the picture then most would flee and this would be understandable because we are programmed to protect ourselves.
Re: A Parent's Worst Fear by Nobody: 1:34pm On Dec 16, 2012
Ehem...... Part of teachers role is to take care of the kids she's in charge of and that includes shield them from gunmen or even code black( bomb threat).

that's why you're required to have first aide and CPR and trained for fire drills and all codes before you're hired/resume for these professions ,

they are very demanding and sometimes draining cos you have lives in your care,

teaching is categorized in healthcare sector which makes it a dangerous job during its trial period just like what happened in OP 's story.

Your example in your post is somewhat funny.... what if you are not able to move the bus to the nearest cops office?

How will the cops even know you need help when they see a school bus parked in front of their office building...,, you want to drop- off kid(s) maybe?

also it'll take a while for them to even get in there......

you remember the Philippines bus story when the cops tried to ambush the hijacked bus , those gunmen killed literally all the passengers with anger.... It was shown life on tv as it happened.

If you try to do that in this part of the world.... You might find it very hard to get a job ever again... I wouldn't hire a selfish person in my organization either.

Lets just pray for God's constant protection on us and our kids.
Re: A Parent's Worst Fear by Nobody: 4:18pm On Dec 16, 2012
jidegirl12: Ehem...... Part of teachers role is to take care of the kids she's in charge of and that includes shield them from gunmen or even code black( bomb threat).

thats a DAMN LIE, no teacher's duty is to shield their pupils from gunmen pointing a gun at you, but pls do prove me wrong, i am begging you. a teacher's job is to make sure that the children are in a safe environment at all time, and the minute the gunman enters the classroom, that class cannot be considered a safe environmentany longer....... and this is NOT due to the carelessness of the teacher. a teacher cannot/will never be blame for protecting himself in such instance (as if the teacher is bulletproof and can stop a bullet, thus shielding her pupils lol)

that's why you're required to have first aide and CPR and trained for fire drills and all codes before you're hired/resume for these professions ,

these are to help and care for the pupils in case of emergency, AND NOT to be used as bulletproof in front of a mad man........ pls dont mix the two.
if there are any accidents then you have to be able to give first aid until the proper medics arrive (and possibly keep that pupil alive). unless you were given bulletproofing training, i dont see how you can be trained to react in front of a mad gunmen. at best, you are require to tell the pupil to act in a certain way during a crisis, but that has nothing to do with facing the mad gunman and trying to play hero (that action in itself is wrong)

Your example in your post is somewhat funny.... what if you are not able to move the bus to the nearest cops office?

then i would stop the bus right there and then, and certainly wont drive the bus near a place where MORE innocent can be injured. the police for ce is paid to be heroes, and thats their JOBS/DUTIES why would i want to do that (especially since i am untrained for such duties)?

How will the cops even know you need help when they see a school bus parked in front of their office building...,, you want to drop- off kid(s) maybe?

i would park the bus and run.......inside the safety of the police station and tell them to DO THEIR JOB.

also it'll take a while for them to even get in there......

so what do you expect the driver to do? attack the mad man and possibly endanger the lives of all these children?! there are trained negociators whose duty is to deal with such extreme issue. why expect me to pretend to be something i am not (hostage negociator/mad man counselor)

you remember the Philippines bus story when the cops tried to ambush the hijacked bus , those gunmen killed literally all the passengers with anger.... It was shown life on tv as it happened.

i can show you many videos of mad men who wanted to do some drastic shiit, and who were talked down into doing it by PROFESSIONALS.

If you try to do that in this part of the world.... You might find it very hard to get a job ever again... I wouldn't hire a selfish person in my organization either.

thats a damn lie, as i am sure what that person does wont be printed on their resume, but nice try anyway. again, that person did what the protocol says they should do in case of emergency of this type. but if in doubt, read again what your contract says about mad gunman scenario, and i doubt it would say to try to be a hero in any way. if the gunman is in another room then take your pupils to safety YES, but if the gunam is facing you with a gun in his hand then i am 110% sure that your contract does NOT say "be a hero".

Lets just pray for God's constant protection on us and our kids.

AMEN!
Re: A Parent's Worst Fear by True2myself24(f): 9:18pm On Dec 16, 2012
Well I don't think the young teacher who died had the chance to run away. The gunman blocked the doorway and she told her students to get down while she huddled over them. But like I said you're entitled to your opinions.
Re: A Parent's Worst Fear by MRBrownJ: 10:47pm On Dec 16, 2012
^^^^ my last post was hidden for whatever reason, and got me banned......(damn spambot!!!!)

anyway here is what i wrote:
First, the vice principal and many others in the school were in a meeting when the shooting started, but only the school vice principal and that teacher ran to help. the school THERAPIST and many others in that meeting jumped under tables and probably did what is the PROTOCOL in such emergency, and subsequently stayed alive. many in that meeting were parents of school children, and even they ducked under tables while calling 911. what a nice picture for people like you who think that we should all be heroes, while actual parents of these same children are under tables saving themselves. so you want make i die for children of people who dont give a damn about their very own blood?

Second, the 2 people who ran towards the sound of gun fire died because they were foolish enough thinking that their action would save anyone when it just got them killed. they tried to save children by jumping in front of the gunman and it didnt help one bit as he killed them and continued his rampage. so they lost their lives FOR NOT FOLLOWING THE PROTOCOLS, while reacting without thinking.

Third, a newly installed security system was in place in the school to prevent exactly what happened in that school, but guess what? Dawn Hochsprung the supposed "dead hero" of that tragedy (and principal of Sandy Hook Elementary School) is the one who buzzed that mad man in, thus indirectly responsible for that crazed man to have had access to these children.

Last but not least, and most importantly, NONE OF THE BRAVE "HEROES" STOPPED THE GUNMAN FROM DOING WHAT HE CAME TO DO., he killed who he came to kill (as well as the heroes who thought they were bulletproof), and then he turned the gun on his own self and killed himself.
Re: A Parent's Worst Fear by Nobody: 11:09pm On Dec 16, 2012
I guess you are entitled to your own opinion and attitude...... I know one thing for sure that as a caregiver , you are responsible for that child from drop off till pick up time , it's part of the job description.

I always find the facts before I argue about such topic..... please ask too.

Peace
Re: A Parent's Worst Fear by True2myself24(f): 11:51pm On Dec 16, 2012
MRBrownJ: ^^^^ my last post was hidden for whatever reason, and got me banned......(damn spambot!!!!)

anyway here is what i wrote:
First, the vice principal and many others in the school were in a meeting when the shooting started, but only the school vice principal and that teacher ran to help. the school THERAPIST and many others in that meeting jumped under tables and probably did what is the PROTOCOL in such emergency, and subsequently stayed alive. many in that meeting were parents of school children, and even they ducked under tables while calling 911. what a nice picture for people like you who think that we should all be heroes, while actual parents of these same children are under tables saving themselves. so you want make i die for children of people who dont give a damn about their very own blood?

Second, the 2 people who ran towards the sound of gun fire died because they were foolish enough thinking that their action would save anyone when it just got them killed. they tried to save children by jumping in front of the gunman and it didnt help one bit as he killed them and continued his rampage. so they lost their lives FOR NOT FOLLOWING THE PROTOCOLS, while reacting without thinking.

Third, a newly installed security system was in place in the school to prevent exactly what happened in that school, but guess what? Dawn Hochsprung the supposed "dead hero" of that tragedy (and principal of Sandy Hook Elementary School) is the one who buzzed that mad man in, thus indirectly responsible for that crazed man to have had access to these children.

Last but not least, and most importantly, NONE OF THE BRAVE "HEROES" STOPPED THE GUNMAN FROM DOING WHAT HE CAME TO DO., he killed who he came to kill (as well as the heroes who thought they were bulletproof), and then he turned the gun on his own self and killed himself.

I hear you. But I will say it one last time, you're entitled to your opinions.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Become A Single Mother? / Female Or Male:Which Will You Like To Be Your First Child? / Pls Help: My Girlfriend's Boss Is Seriously Asking My Girlfriend Out.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 104
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.