Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,609 members, 7,809,232 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:12 AM

Nani's Showboating: Great Or Unnecessary? - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nani's Showboating: Great Or Unnecessary? (3569 Views)

Van Gaal Tells Fellaini, Nani, Anderson, Rafael And Javier Hernandez To Leave Ma / Was Nani Red Card Justified? YES OR NO (what Does Uefa Rules Says) / Is Coach Eguavovon Doing Great Or Do We Still Need Foreign Coach. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nani's Showboating: Great Or Unnecessary? by MKDons1: 2:31pm On Feb 17, 2008
What do you guys think about Nani's showboating yesterday. A lot of people have condemed him. Arsene Wenger condemed it and Fergie cautioned him.

Me, I loved it. Where do you stand?
Re: Nani's Showboating: Great Or Unnecessary? by Chacal: 2:59pm On Feb 17, 2008
From a fan's point of view . . . .It was GREAT.

After the dismal performance against Ci-Thai last weekend, the fans deserved something great.
Fans pay 40 quid and i think they deserved to be entertained.
Had Ronaldo done that, would this even pop up to be discussed?
Give NANI some credit.
Re: Nani's Showboating: Great Or Unnecessary? by otele(m): 3:07pm On Feb 17, 2008
for me NANI was the man of the match. not rooney. though rooney was great too in terrorising the gunners defence but NANI was the pain in their backside
Re: Nani's Showboating: Great Or Unnecessary? by akinalabi(m): 3:23pm On Feb 17, 2008
I'm absolutely staggered this is even a point of
discussion.

Like chacal said, fans spend lots of money to watch
these games. Personally, I spent £120 in order to
be there live and my high points for the day were
the four goals, Nani's showboating and the beers
I drank grin

If Nani had gone to a corner to do step overs, that
would have been different. He was under presure
from an opponent and he kept the ball so well in
the air to ratain possesion for his team in a tricky
situation.

The onus lies on the opposition to retrieve the ball
from him legally.

Nothing bad in what he did. It was great. What we
should be talking about are the real disgraceful
high points of the match.

- Adebayor's dive
- Eduardo's two footed lunge
- Eboue's Karate
- Gallas' kick
- Flamini's murderous tackle
- Arsenal's capitulation tongue

We should be talking about the above. Not a moment
of absolute genius.
Re: Nani's Showboating: Great Or Unnecessary? by Chacal: 3:46pm On Feb 17, 2008
@ Akinalabi,

Me would rather discuss GAYnners' 72nd RED CARD under ARSEne WenGAY. grin cheesy angry

I was shocked when WenGAY was complaining about the showboating.
How moronic and myopic can this gaffer be? The same side that tried to do the freak penalty-kick with Henry and Pires?
NANI should be left alone to enjoy his football in England.

I doubt Nani would have done that if the game was 0-0 or 2-1.
If WenGAY and his buncha over-rated featherweights don't like it. . . they shouldn't have conceded 4 goals in the 1st place.
Hleb and Fab4 can return the favour anytime we concede 5 to the GAYnners.
Re: Nani's Showboating: Great Or Unnecessary? by seunspice(m): 3:51pm On Feb 17, 2008
i wonder where those gunner fans are. Last week when we lost to Man City i was receiving calls after calls full of taunts and threats from those guys promising fire and brimestone. Now that they have been roundly and soundly defeated i cant even get to see/call any of them. thier phones are off.
I hope we go past Lyon and move to the final of the UCL, overtaking Arsenal at the summit of the league table is a priority that must be achieved. This win will also mean nothing if we do not win the FA cup , so another treble hunt begins. Dont bet too much on it happening though. United forever
grin grin grin
Re: Nani's Showboating: Great Or Unnecessary? by Banderas(m): 4:13pm On Feb 17, 2008
The showboating is looking for trouble. Watch how he gets tackled in his next few games. It's not professional, and not necessary. Showboaters have the highest number of injury in professional football.
Re: Nani's Showboating: Great Or Unnecessary? by ituen(m): 8:04pm On Feb 17, 2008
There shld be no blame for wat Nani did.

It simply showed that Man Utd was relaxed tru out the game to even showboat. Not even an ounce of pressure from his marker during the showboat. TOO BAD

Evra also did some little stunts
Re: Nani's Showboating: Great Or Unnecessary? by presido1: 8:43pm On Feb 17, 2008
Noffin is wrong with what the guy did, it show confido.
what out this clip on showboating L'ass players showboat as well.
http://www.thefootballblog.co.uk/video-some-showboating
Re: Nani's Showboating: Great Or Unnecessary? by eldee(m): 9:44pm On Feb 17, 2008
Banderas:

The showboating is looking for trouble. Watch how he gets tackled in his next few games. It's not professional, and not necessary. Showboaters have the highest number of injury in professional football.

i won't excatly agree with you on that, i think he had every reason to do the whole rubbing in thingy
his team had lost five points in two games and they were leadin 4-0, he had to just have fun
besides, one day, if he becomes a big star like c.ronaldo, it's those kind of things tv stations put on his profile grin

go search for henry on youtube and see what i'm talking about wink
Re: Nani's Showboating: Great Or Unnecessary? by jgirl3: 6:53am On Feb 18, 2008
Jealousy will not kill some people. grin grin grin grin
What is really paining Wenger is that his team was disgraced seriously but of all things to complain about - he chose the showboating. Yeye man! cheesy
Re: Nani's Showboating: Great Or Unnecessary? by tommyex(m): 7:21am On Feb 18, 2008
lol,My COACH SAID ITS WRONG,and 'he knows best' wetin i go talk now?

Anyway,na childishness dey worry am,ronaldo can do same 2,even babel 2,all these kids dat aint matured 2 be best players in d world.

+make ManU fix that field b4 april oo,I no fit shout.i really dint want 2 win d match,bt d bashin wasnt expected sha.
Re: Nani's Showboating: Great Or Unnecessary? by chuckdee4(m): 10:57am On Feb 18, 2008
My take

Showboating is still part of football, afterall when teams play "keep ball" and the crowd goes "EH" "EH", its still show boating. Nani's kindda showboating is fair enough if he wants to keep doing it but showboating comes with its own risks, why d heck do u think Ronaldo does not do that many party tricks anymore anymore.

So showboat if u want but do it at the risk of lossing a limb, the likes of Savage, Mokoena (Heck the entire Blackburn team), John Terry, Essien and co will not stand and watch u do that sort of nonsense in front of them
Re: Nani's Showboating: Great Or Unnecessary? by Emperoh(m): 11:31am On Feb 18, 2008
I won't be football fan if such things never existed in football. I loved it and the way Gallas was Excorting him. It was funny and lovely
Re: Nani's Showboating: Great Or Unnecessary? by dayokanu(m): 1:40pm On Feb 18, 2008
A simple question, Was it illegal? If it was the ref should be blamed for not booking him. Very soon step overs would be unnecessary when playing Gayners

Nothing to blame again now its Nanis stunts he can do whatever he likes on the field The ref can book him if its illegal
Re: Nani's Showboating: Great Or Unnecessary? by Nobody: 8:16pm On Feb 18, 2008
ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, Na wa for Arsenal Hanger ooo,
Re: Nani's Showboating: Great Or Unnecessary? by Bolernlay(m): 9:46pm On Feb 18, 2008
Stupid
Re: Nani's Showboating: Great Or Unnecessary? by presido1: 12:03am On Feb 19, 2008
tommyex:

lol,My COACH SAID ITS WRONG,and 'he knows best' wetin i go talk now?
Anyway,na childishness dey worry am,ronaldo can do same 2,even babel 2,all these kids that aint matured 2 be best players in d world.
+make ManU fix that field before april oo,I no fit shout.i really dint want 2 win d match,bt d bashin wasnt expected sha.
Typical Gayner, na for that pitch man city beat us, so the excuse with the pitch doesn't hold water at all, tell wengay to look for another excuse to circulate to you gayners.
Henry and pirex abi pipex showboated so tee they wan play penalty like free kick against man city.Go and check it out.Olodo
Re: Nani's Showboating: Great Or Unnecessary? by davidif: 3:54am On Feb 19, 2008
i may be an arsenal fan but it was entertaining for nani to do that.
Re: Nani's Showboating: Great Or Unnecessary? by tkb417(m): 7:12am On Feb 19, 2008
Short Memory!!! The Gayners should check Thiery Henry when he was in action for Assnal.

What Nani did wasnt wrong at all, i can decide to score in my own net if that will give me joy. Showboating or whatever you call it is what makes the game tick.
Re: Nani's Showboating: Great Or Unnecessary? by loyika(m): 10:04am On Feb 19, 2008
You all should just put a sock in it. tongue

No one said "showboating" was illegal, what people are saying is that, it was immature for Nani to do that to fellow professionals.

@ Dayo

When a opposition team member is injured, the other team is not really obliged to kick out the ball until the ref blows his whistle, but fair play makes them do it, same way that the ball is given back to the opposition when play resumes. THIS IS NOT MEANT TO BE COMPULSORY, but footballers do it as a sign of respect.

Thats why when Kanu broke that rule and Arsenal scored a goal instead of giving the ball back in an FA cup game against Sheffield United i think, many people were livid. Now did Arsenal and Kanu do anything wrong NO!! they were within their rights, but it went against the ethics of the game, and Wenger conceeded to a replay of the game to calm tempers.

You talk about Henry when he and Pires tried that pen kick, they were both vilified by all and sundry (and rightly so). And Henry came out to give an apology, saying they didn't mean it as a sign of being disrespectful.

Same thing that happened when a keeper was delaying a particular game against Arsenal last season, when Arsenal finally scored, Henry ran and took the ball and dropped it in front of the keep in a form of jest, was that illegal NO!! But he was vilified in the press for showing a lack of class and respect for the opposition.

Now Nani can do whatever he likes, but for SAF to also caution him, shows that he overstepped the boundaries, Games btw both clubs have been heated affairs, and usually went beyond footie into other stuff.

Of recent, it had calmed down and returned to it being a football game, with respect being shown by both sets of players, Nani's decision could have destroyed all that, and created an avenue for something i believe both clubs and Managers wouldn't want (SAF is not Jose Maureen, who wants his players to disrespect the opposition).

United beat Roma 7-nil, did you see any United player juggling the ball , Liverpool beat Besiktas 8-0 did you see any Pool player juggle the ball , Arsenal beat Slavia Prague 7-0 did you see any Arsenal player juggle the ball

So to round off, no one is against Nani joining a circus, but to fellow footballers, it doesn't show class when you do that. Evra is skillful, and does some "nutmegs", that in itself is not really considered "showboating". Hleb does some dribbles, that in itself isn't considered "showboating".

In Spain, Nani would have been praised for that move, but the footballing culture in England is different. same way bulling and insulting your opposition is not seen as a big deal in Italy, as it might be in other countries.

It sounds sweet now cause it was against Arsenal grin grin Let him try it against Chelsea or a hard team like Blackburn (why wasn't someone like Nani around when the Crazy gang Wimbeldon team were in the first division).

When he gets kicked hard or tackled to injury, you all will start to shout. but you forget that fellow players don't like that, thats why C Ronaldo was always seen as a Pansy. Eric Cantona showboated, but every player knew he was hard and would bleeping kick ur teeth in as well grin Do you think Roy Keane would have stood there and watch Nani do that Keano would have given him a good rollicking on the pitch for even thinking about it. (And if you know Keano, you would know what i was talking about).

I remember Clemens Westerhorf used to bench Jay Jay for the same offence, yet because it involves United beating Arsenal, oh i guess its ok Well Thank God you gaffer has some sense, and told the lad, he doesn't need to do that. Same way Gallas didn't need to kick him in retaliation.

cool GOONER 89
Re: Nani's Showboating: Great Or Unnecessary? by Chacal: 10:42am On Feb 19, 2008
@ Loyika,

You are a pillock.

The traveling fans should have some extra bits of magic in a game especially after Eboue's horrendous tackle on Evra.
Are u aware tickets are more expensive these days than the days of Cantona, Henry and Keane?
Maybe FIFA should now ban nut-megging, backheel and shooting with the outside of the foot!!!

Adebayor's dive wasn't disrespectful. . . . Eboue's kung-fu kick wasn't disrespectful.
However, a piece of football skill is disrespectful to Arsene Wenger. . . . If Nani had done this against Barnsley or Cardiff, then i won't be happy.
He was doing it against the GAYnners(a team the media lauded as the best team in the world). . . a team that threw pizza at Fergie!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm backing Nani to do it again in April. Arsenal are a buncha cowards and all they could do was to kick the youngster all over the park.
Ma problem is would Hoyte, Gallas, Flamini have kicked Wayne Rooney if he was doing the ball juggling? cheesy cheesy
Wazza could have punched the gypsy face out of Flamini's gay face. . . I can guarantee anyone that.
Re: Nani's Showboating: Great Or Unnecessary? by loyika(m): 11:13am On Feb 19, 2008
Chacal undecided

Sometimes i actually wonder whether you live in England leave sentiments aside, you and i know that "showboating" is frowned upon in England, it is seen as grandstanding. that is why even if Ronaldinho comes to England, he will not be praised if all he does are Tricks and Flicks.

YOU KNOW THIS!! Like i said, if Nani was in Spain, that trick would have been praised, but in England it is frowned upon. In Scotland, Nani would have been seriously injured by the opposition for doing something like that, if that had been a match btw Celtic and Rangers shocked shocked. Skill is one thing, Showboating is another.

I have no problem with Nani "farting" the ball into the net, or any other party tricks he can come up with, but for you to come here and say it wasn't disrespectful is absolute rubbish tongue

Does that have any bearing on United's display? HELL NO! United deserved their victory, but even Fergie realised that, that behaviour was uncalled for, same way Gallas's kick was uncalled for.

CALL A SPADE A SPADE MATE!!

cool GOONER 89
Re: Nani's Showboating: Great Or Unnecessary? by Chacal: 11:46am On Feb 19, 2008
@ Loyika,

I don't live in England. . . . I live in Ketu(apologies to MC Omo)

Thierry Henry show-boated for 8 years @ Arsenal and i have never heard Wenger complained about him.
English fans want entertainment contrary to what u think. . . . This is a modern game and the days of the old English game are over.
Nani is not English, he is a bloody foreigner so u have to allow a bit of culture diversity.

How did he disrespect anyone?
He kept the ball with his head, running towards his defenders and brought the ball down to evade Hoyte.
It was a brilliant piece of skill. . . . . . .what should he have done? Give the ball back to Arsenal?
Would Gallas have kicked Rooney if Wazza was the one showboating?
Re: Nani's Showboating: Great Or Unnecessary? by presido1: 11:49am On Feb 19, 2008
loyika:

Does that have any bearing on United's display? HELL NO! United deserved their victory, but even Fergie realised that, that behaviour was uncalled for, same way Gallas's kick was uncalled for.
CALL A SPADE A SPADE MATE!!
Yeah as a good manager he realised nani shouldn't do that but Asswengay said after the match that he supported the kicking from Gallas and Coy. Are trying to make your la'prof look stupid by saying the kick was uncalled for but he was in support of it.
Re: Nani's Showboating: Great Or Unnecessary? by toba1909(m): 11:52am On Feb 19, 2008
presido1:

Yeah as a good manager he realised nani shouldn't do that but Asswengay said after the match that he supported the kicking from Gallas and Coy. Are trying to make your la'prof look stupid by saying the kick was uncalled for but he was in support of it.

Haba!
where did u read this from AW?
Let's be sincere,AW would never and,
can never support such.so say something else
Re: Nani's Showboating: Great Or Unnecessary? by 4Play(m): 11:58am On Feb 19, 2008
@Loyika

Maybe its because such skills exhibition is frowned upon in England that England hardly produces technically gifted players .

You alluded to the Fair Play rule,is "showboating" against fair play? So playing "keepy-uppy" is now on the same level as ignoring and taking advantage of the injury of opposition players.

Presumably,Gallas' kicking of Nani is on the same level of unacceptability as Nani showboating.With such reasoning by Arses,no wonder they are all generally regarded as knuckleheads.
Re: Nani's Showboating: Great Or Unnecessary? by Chacal: 12:02pm On Feb 19, 2008
I cannot believe this is even causing a stir. . . . .

It was a perfect way of rubbing it in especially after Gallas went to the media to say United players are too arrogant.

Nani shouldn't showboat cos it upsets other players? What a load of drivel. . . .
Fergie must warn Man Utd not to score many goals cos that may upset Flamini and Gallas.
Whats next? We should be asked not to sing in the stands cos it upsets away fans like Arsenal who are moronic and hypocritical. grin grin
Re: Nani's Showboating: Great Or Unnecessary? by loyika(m): 12:29pm On Feb 19, 2008
Thats why Mancs will aways be Spastic clowns tongue

Man Servant tongue

I metioned the "fair play" stuff to Dayo in relation to his "illegality claim", not as a point in itself, so whats your beef

Chacal tongue

As usual, when it involves Arsenal and Man United, you leave all decency out the window, so this arguement is pointless.

For the record, i am not saying that Nani has no right to showboat, what i am saying is that it wasn't necessary and was in bad taste, make of that what you will, I would say the same thing if it was an Arsenal player (i think i castigated Cesc here on Nl for his petulance and even go as far as calling Eboue a cheat whenever he gets up to his usual antics. I even criticised Henry for his behaviour with the "dropping the ball in front of the keeper" incident, here on NL. And i would do they same if Nani was an Arsenal player).

But i guess everyone is different, anyways, seems Gallas got away with the kick;

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/a/arsenal/7251650.stm

Oh well, that ends that!! we shall renew this in April. let me go focus on our game with Milan.

cool GOONER 89
Re: Nani's Showboating: Great Or Unnecessary? by Chacal: 12:35pm On Feb 19, 2008
@ Loyika,

Were u surprised Gallas got away with that?
Half of Manchester knew he was always going to get away with it. . . .Alan Wiley saw the incident and looked away.
He only blew his whistle when the Gallas and Nani squared up but he saw Gallas giving Nani the kick. . . . .
If that was Rooney, Ronaldo or Mikel Obi then they will be facing 6 match ban for violent conduct.
The FA will do anything to make Arsenal win the title but they won't WIN it.
Re: Nani's Showboating: Great Or Unnecessary? by loyika(m): 12:42pm On Feb 19, 2008
cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

Now its the FA that want us to win the league cheesy cheesy cheesy

12 games to go mate, we shall see who ends up with what wink

By the way, Capello reckowns we will do in the Old Lady;

http://sport.setanta.com/en/Sport/News/Football/2008/02/18/Champs-Lg-Capello-on-ArsenalMilan/?facets/sport-space/great-britain-locale/

What is your conspiracy theory on that, The FA forced him to say that as well cheesy cheesy

Can't wait for the EPL games to re-start, so we can end this stuff ASAP. Although the CL promises some cracking encounters across board as well.

cool GOONER 89
Re: Nani's Showboating: Great Or Unnecessary? by 4Play(m): 12:48pm On Feb 19, 2008
loyika:

By the way, Capello reckowns we will do in the Old Lady;

http://sport.setanta.com/en/Sport/News/Football/2008/02/18/Champs-Lg-Capello-on-ArsenalMilan/?facets/sport-space/great-britain-locale/

What is your conspiracy theory on that, The FA forced him to say that as well cheesy cheesy
cool GOONER 89

Since you seem to regard Capello's prediction as 'quoteworthy',did you happen to miss this?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/2008/02/19/fabio-capello-says-manchester-united-will-win-champions-league-89520-20324342/

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Play/win/cash Out Steadily / What Under And Over Goals Means In Football Betting By Joint9ja.com / BREAKING NEWS: Messi Could Face Up To Six Years In Prison.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.