Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,226 members, 7,957,528 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 02:08 PM

Homosexuality And HIV/AIDS In Nigeria - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Homosexuality And HIV/AIDS In Nigeria (1384 Views)

Maduike Ezeibe Claims He Cures HIV/AIDS / HIV/AIDS Drugs To Be Manufactured In Nigeria - UNAIDS / Abortion Threads And Hiv (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Homosexuality And HIV/AIDS In Nigeria by holysmoke(m): 2:49pm On Dec 17, 2012
A conversation between a doctor and a person living with HIV/AIDS in an HIV clinic on a day like any other;

Doc: So, how are you doing Mr....
Patient: Doc, I'm not feeling too good.
Doc: Are you still taking your drugs?
Patient: No. I stopped them a while back.
Doc, I think I should tell you. I'm not
into girls.
Doc: By that do you mean you're a homosex-
ual?
Patient: Yes.
Doc: So you're a homosexual with HIV/AIDS
you've stopped taking your medication
now you have this condition. How
exactly may I help you.....

Don't ask me how I chanced in on this conversation. The moral of the story is that we have a growing number of persons living with HIV/AIDS in Nigeria who are homosexuals. Individuals not on medication,(which although are not curative,will reduce the viral load,enable them live a reasonably normal life,and make them less of a risk to society)have refused to be and are not in any way ready to give up their lifestyle.

studies have shown that homosexual intercourse is a far greater risk for transmission of HIV/AIDS when compared to heterosexual intercourse. As if that is not enough the average homosexual is far more promiscuous than a heterosexual . While a philandering young heterosexual male may consider himself a stud for having 2 girlfriends and 3 other ladies on the side ,all of whom he sleeps with. Making that say 5 different ladies he may sleep with in the course of the year, a homosexual young male on the other hand as a necessity has several men he may be said to be sexually intimate with. Add this to several individuals he meets regularly in different hotels and what you have is a ticking time bomb. In fact, the average young homosexual male may by nature be said to act like one with a death wish. Not even HIV positivity has much of a restraint on him.

As if this isn't bad enough, some still have girlfriends on the side . Thus; we have a savage cycle of HIV/AIDS infection and re-infection.

They have so many underground groups & NGO'S who seem only to tell them to accept themselves for who they are. These groups dole out lubricants to them,sponsor research into microbicidal agents that would make anal sex less threatening. But how can these stop them from reckless behaviour and from constituting a menace to the larger society?

We cannot possibly win the fight against HIV/AIDS untill we address the challenge posed by this group of individuals. we ignore them at our peril. If we just keep on hating and attacking them we will only further drive them underground.

While we must maintain zero tolerance to homosexuality in all its faces let us know that only a power beyond them can break them lose from this destructive habit. Are you there and you're a homosexual? Is it possible that you've bought the most common but very false excuse that goes, " God made me this way. I didn't choose to be like this" ...? Well I must tell you , that's a lie and you know it.
Re: Homosexuality And HIV/AIDS In Nigeria by turepadams: 7:36pm On Dec 17, 2012
Please I need help asap, I had unprotected sex with a runs girl in abeokuta, about a month later, I had flu and I tested hiv negative, I followed up with a 6 weeks and 8 weeks test and also tested negative. But I'm still not convinced. I understand that there is a test that can determine results earlier. Please can I rely on the 8 week test or can I get a more conclusive test in hospitals or NIMA. Please help cos I can't think straight right now. Thanks
Re: Homosexuality And HIV/AIDS In Nigeria by holysmoke(m): 10:46pm On Dec 17, 2012
Standard common tests available for retroviral screening include "stat pack" and "unigold". a negative test from either means you don't have the antibodies. If you test negative 3 months after exposure repeat the test 3 months later. if you're still negative it means you are. the other test done which is not readily available is the PCR. That has the advantage of detecting the antigen even before an individual starts to elaborate antibodies. You really don't need that. if after 6 months the other tests you do still say you're negative then you could safely believe that you are provided you remain unexposed to risk factors.
Re: Homosexuality And HIV/AIDS In Nigeria by turepadams: 3:28pm On Dec 18, 2012
Thanks for your reply, but can an 8 weeks test give me an assurance and have you seen or heard of a 6 weeks or 8 weeks test later turn positive. Thank you

(1) (Reply)

South African Woman Invents Anti-rape Female Condoms (see How It Works) / What TREVO Does In Your Body / Health Benefits Of Whiskey

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.