Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,596 members, 7,809,160 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:01 AM

New Drivers' License Requires Medical Verification - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / New Drivers' License Requires Medical Verification (10560 Views)

Drivers' License Expiration Is Now "5 Years" Says Federal Government / New FRSC Rule On Drivers License / FRSC To Enforce New Drivers’ Licence, Number Plate, Aug. 1 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: New Drivers' License Requires Medical Verification by Mogidi: 1:51am On Dec 19, 2012
babyosisi:
How many of those reckless drivers are alcohol and drug free or don't you know that is the number one cause of reckless driving?

This is the reason for most accidents.
Re: New Drivers' License Requires Medical Verification by thelastPope(m): 3:07am On Dec 19, 2012
babyosisi:

Rubbish
Did accidents start with the introductions of cell phones?
Show me your statistics
FYI I don't see psychiatric evaluation in the medical tests
There is no alcohol breathalyzer tests
There is even no way to enforce it
Do you have a driver database of any sort
Are there road worthiness tests for vehicles plying the roads?
Planes and choppers are falling off skies too and the problem is poor maintenance more than anything else
Roads in Nigeria are death traps and someone is advocating medical tests
Abeg

How many of those reckless drivers are alcohol and drug free or don't you know that is the number one cause of reckless driving?

Lol! Another Nigerian in diaspora talking like he has a clue. Most of you are armchair critics who spew assumptions like true knowledge. Like I said before, you have no records or statistics, FRSC does. And yes for your info, there is road worthiness test, achohol test and more in FRSC. Ask questions and you will receive answers instead of talking as if you know. And the height of your ignorance is to say you didn't see psychiatric evaluation in the medical tests. Were you expecting him to spell out every detail of the policy and project in a press conference? You are veru funny. If you want the details, contact their office and you can learn a thing or too instead of criticising ignorantly on a public forum! Nigerians and their pride. Alway wanting to act like they know anything. If you knew even a little ounce, you would have contributed something to Nigeria's wellbeing
Re: New Drivers' License Requires Medical Verification by Wsdm: 4:42am On Dec 19, 2012
Can we see how unseriouse our government can be. The only action is on the 40% caused by commercial drivers and not on the 60% caused by government neglect.
Re: New Drivers' License Requires Medical Verification by postemail: 6:25am On Dec 19, 2012
thelastPope:

Lol! Another Nigerian in diaspora talking like he has a clue. Most of you are armchair critics who spew assumptions like true knowledge. Like I said before, you have no records or statistics, FRSC does. And yes for your info, there is road worthiness test, achohol test and more in FRSC. Ask questions and you will receive answers instead of talking as if you know. And the height of your ignorance is to say you didn't see psychiatric evaluation in the medical tests. Were you expecting him to spell out every detail of the policy and project in a press conference? You are veru funny. If you want the details, contact their office and you can learn a thing or too instead of criticising ignorantly on a public forum! Nigerians and their pride. Alway wanting to act like they know anything. If you knew even a little ounce, you would have contributed something to Nigeria's wellbeing

My friend, why are you putting so much effort to support FRSC? You and I know this is just a format for them to make money. What has Blood sugar and Blood pressure got to do with drivers license?
Re: New Drivers' License Requires Medical Verification by Fadenitan(m): 6:32am On Dec 19, 2012
This new driving licence is good for us as a country and as a driver.Please let all drivers do d right thing and follow all d procedures attached to it.The FRSC officers too should be a gentleman enough to handle this assignment according to laid down rules and regulations.In a nutshell we all have a great job to do to make nigeria great and work again both d nigeria pple and those in Gov‘t.Our mindset should be re-programme to postive about our country,we have no place we can call our Country.NIGERIA IS GREAT,I WILL MAKE IT GREATER,YOU WILL MAKE IT GREATEST.That is my secondary school pledge.GSS ILORIN.
Re: New Drivers' License Requires Medical Verification by dazz661(f): 6:55am On Dec 19, 2012
I think all these new FRSC ish is just to make more money! I had to pay N12,350 for a new driver's license yesterday & didn't find it funny!I didn't see any convincing reason to pay such an amount....
Re: New Drivers' License Requires Medical Verification by question(m): 7:09am On Dec 19, 2012
Before the hullabullah of medical tests for driver's license, FRSC should do the following.
1. Ensure the roads are fixed and repaired.
2. Put the road and traffic signs.
3. Install speed cameras.. Lol.

On a serious note, I cannot remember the last time I saw a speed limit sign on a Nigerian road.
Re: New Drivers' License Requires Medical Verification by 401kk: 7:17am On Dec 19, 2012
Hate it or love. The FRSC under Mr Chidoka is one of the few federal agencies that have been impressive in their perfomances over the last few years.
Re: New Drivers' License Requires Medical Verification by Originalsly: 7:35am On Dec 19, 2012
Hmmm.....seems like hypertension and high blood sugar cause quite a lot of accidents. How they figure that? Most parts of the world one of the main causes of accidents is DUI (Driving Under the Influence....of alcohol/drugs). Reducing this should be a priority as in many countries where if caught... straight to jail, license suspended and vehicle seized and sold.
Re: New Drivers' License Requires Medical Verification by zaragoza(m): 7:47am On Dec 19, 2012
dazz661: I think all these new FRSC ish is just to make more money! I had to pay N12,350 for a new driver's license yesterday & didn't find it funny!I didn't see any convincing reason to pay such an amount....

is that amount for renewing an expired one or for acquiring an entirely new one?
Re: New Drivers' License Requires Medical Verification by DidiLove1: 8:14am On Dec 19, 2012
Please can anyone help with information/steps on how to obtain the new drivers' licence? Much appreciation.
Re: New Drivers' License Requires Medical Verification by Oludrex(m): 8:18am On Dec 19, 2012
thelastPope:

Not true at all at all. You are still living in 1990. God help you if road safety catch you. You will do 3 months test and test to ascertain your mental state. Some of you just post wrong information from your desk. You cannot subvert FRSC system. They are one of the most efficient force in Nigeria. Most people who claim they got FRSC licence through the back door actually got fake licences and it was not issued by FRSC!
dont dull...
Re: New Drivers' License Requires Medical Verification by Oludrex(m): 8:22am On Dec 19, 2012
question:
Before the hullabullah of medical tests for driver's license, FRSC should do the following.
1. Ensure the roads are fixed and repaired.
2. Put the road and traffic signs.
3. Install speed cameras.. Lol.

On a serious note, I cannot remember the last time I saw a speed limit sign on a Nigerian road.

don't mind them joor. 9ja govt wil always put the cart before d horse
Re: New Drivers' License Requires Medical Verification by Okijajuju1(m): 8:57am On Dec 19, 2012
Fatdon: FRSC Launches New Drivers’ License That Requires Medical Verification

The Federal Road Safety Commission (FRSC) has launched the new commercial drivers’ license with security features that require a mandatory medical certification of drivers before issuance.

According to the Corps Marshall of the commission, Mr Osita Chidoka, the new license has security features, intelligence camera and biometrics that will mandate a medical certification for all commercial drivers before issuance.

He noted that the new license will be issued to commercial drivers after verified medical certificates on hearing and eyesight.

Hypertension and blood sugar level among other requirements.

Statistics reeled out by the Corps Marshall showed that up to 40 per cent of road accidents between 2007 and 2010 across the country resulted to almost 13,000 deaths involving commercial drivers.

This is the reason for the launch of the new commercial drivers’ license that will require all commercial drivers to present their medical verification before being issued the new license.

Also to be mandated for commercial drivers is a compulsory standard driving school check and a yearly retraining programme to be handled by the drivers’ unions.

The issuance of new drivers’ licenses will commence immediately as stated by the FRSC, while all old licenses will be phased out by September 2013.

This new developments was welcomed by key players in the transport sector such as president, National Union of Road Transport Workers (NURTW) Alhaji Najeem Yasin and the Special Assistant to the Minister of Transport, Dikko Bala.

The Corps Marshall said other categories of licenses will also be released shortly.

It is believed that when fully in use, the new license will build a good data base of drivers and vehicles and help curb the high rate of accidents involving commercial vehicles in the country.

http://www.channelstv.com/home/2012/12/17/frsc-launches-new-drivers-license-that-requires-medical-verification/

Everything sounded okay until the bolded....

The test should be handled by FRSC.. They should sign an MOU with certified Driving schools that will train, test (both paper & road) and forward the results to FRSC.

The Medical tests should also be done at specified clinics (not government hospitals o!! because of the uselessness of them) and sent straight to FRSC as well.

If not, this is another brilliant idea that bad execution will bury alive.
Re: New Drivers' License Requires Medical Verification by fm7070: 9:17am On Dec 19, 2012
FRSC and FGN are unrealistic entity I've ever known.
They will leave reality and be chasing shadows.
Anyway, I know they want to make more money.
The FRSC themselves knows that bad road is number 1 cause of accident,
second to it is recklessness and carelessness of drivers, menace of truck and trailer drivers on the highways is nothing to write home about
third is unprofessional driving (some people don't just know how to drive safely) - they just get in front of speeding behicle suddenly and they will slow down, etc.
God will keep protecting us all sha!
Re: New Drivers' License Requires Medical Verification by Nobody: 10:54am On Dec 19, 2012
Mogidi: This is the reason for most accidents.

It's part of it. And any percentage removed is a welcome move.
Re: New Drivers' License Requires Medical Verification by talktrue1(m): 12:22pm On Dec 19, 2012
What if the driver goes back to his way of life after obtaining the license.
Re: New Drivers' License Requires Medical Verification by Nobody: 12:42pm On Dec 19, 2012
talk true: What if the driver goes back to his way of life after obtaining the license.

There's always that possibility. But that risk doesn't mean no laws should be put into place.

Rogue drivers need to be handled harshly - if the automobile of repetitive offenders were seized, and destroyed, repeat offenders would reduce drastically. And There'll be that much less carnage on Nigerian roads.
Re: New Drivers' License Requires Medical Verification by 1k001(m): 2:07pm On Dec 19, 2012
a medical certification prior to obtaining a driver's license applies in most (read civilized) jurisdictions. The reason is to protect all road users from potential fatalities that may directly or indirectly arise from medical conditions. A few instances below from my experience illustrate why this is necessary:

- Middle aged man driving a HGV (heavy goods vehicle) suddenly loses all power in his upper and lower limbs while driving. He had a stroke! Fortunately he managed to steer of the road and caused no fatalities. His license is suspended until he regains all limb power.

- Young 20 year old man driving down the motor way suddenly has a seizure, rams into car in front of him 2 people die. License suspended until seizure free for good length of time.

- 52 year old female, type 2 diabetic on insulin . had a hypoglycemic attack while driving and runs over 2 kids playing on the street. No license until documented hypo free.

- 80 year old lady driving for so many years, losing eyesight now but still drives. pulls out off drive way and ploughs into a car she didn't see causing whiplash to its occupants. Goodbye to her license.

I could go on but i think the point is well made. Everyone needs to have an eye test and have a doctor sign off on their license application before said license is issued. Note however though that there a not many conditions that deny one the right to hold a license. Straight forward conditions like hypertension, arthritis etc pose a minimal to negligible risk

(1) (2) (Reply)

Merits Of Repairing My Crankshaft Against Buying A New Engine / Names Of Car Models That Have Won The European Car Of The Year Award Since 1964 / Faded Plate Number An Offense?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.