Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,193 members, 7,822,023 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 02:06 AM

OAU Graduates 78 First Class Students - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / OAU Graduates 78 First Class Students (23398 Views)

Reasons Why First Class Students Never Become First Class People In Life / 5 Qualities Of 'first Class' Students / Respect First Class Students In Public Universities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: OAU Graduates 78 First Class Students by Jarus(m): 7:56pm On Dec 19, 2012
omowolewa:
Don't get it twisted, there are 'sadistic' approach... in Ife too. But the ability to withstand sadist is the reason why we shot 'Great Ife!'
Gone were the days of SSC 105 (Bisiriyu)

2:1 of OAU=1:1 of some versities.
Deja vu

Ssc 105, Bisiriyu
Re: OAU Graduates 78 First Class Students by solelymade: 8:01pm On Dec 19, 2012
omowolewa:
Don't get it twisted, there are 'sadistic' approach... in Ife too. But the ability to withstand sadist is the reason why we shot 'Great Ife!'
Gone were the days of SSC 105 (Bisiriyu)

2:1 of OAU=1:1 of some versities.
Let them run their mouth; The opportunity cost of a choice made is the other choice forgone(kids of other uni's won't understand). It is a great priviledge 2 be a student of OAU.
Re: OAU Graduates 78 First Class Students by SBabaJ(m): 8:05pm On Dec 19, 2012
sunkoye: hope university of ilorin other her cousins can turnaround from their sadistic approach to scores.
Unilorin Is Very Okay, More Than Just Okay If You Ask Me. Don't Believe The Stories About The Sadists. People Still Excel In There.
Re: OAU Graduates 78 First Class Students by searay(m): 8:17pm On Dec 19, 2012
78 what? First Class?
These must be 78 poo. Believe me 2:2 from UNIUYO is equivalent to this.
Hit the dislike button

2 Likes

Re: OAU Graduates 78 First Class Students by wkid(m): 8:21pm On Dec 19, 2012
About 8 of dose 1st klass students came 4rm my dept (electronic & electrical engineering). Our H.O.D (Prof Oladipupo Osasona) was infuriated when he saw dat about 15 of dem were 2 graduate with 1st klass. So dey gave sm students about 2Es in their final yr results. I know of sm of d 2:1s dat had CGPAs of 4.48 & so on. Dose set were so brilliant dat we all suffer till nw cos of dem (Lecturers always complaining & comparing us with dem).

Talk bout Pol Sci. & lots of oda depts where u'll never c any 1st klass. U'll have lecturers saying "A is for God, B is for my family, C is for brilliant students". A visiting lecturer 4rm Unilag in English Dept was told to reduce d grades of his results because d no of pple who had an A were too much according to OAU standard. So many oda tins happen also.

So all dose 1st klass students deserved it.

P.S: Sorry for the shorthand, I'm typing with a mobile phone.
Re: OAU Graduates 78 First Class Students by Ortarico(m): 8:26pm On Dec 19, 2012
Well, I'm proud of them all but it gives me a great thought how vainful they are when death denies them of more creativity, innovation and realisation......most talents lie in the grave!

1 Like

Re: OAU Graduates 78 First Class Students by dayokanu(m): 8:29pm On Dec 19, 2012
^ So Osas is now a prof. That guy show us for EEE 201 and 202

2 Likes

Re: OAU Graduates 78 First Class Students by Smooyis(m): 8:37pm On Dec 19, 2012
Big Congratulations to them all.
Re: OAU Graduates 78 First Class Students by abdulkayus(m): 8:39pm On Dec 19, 2012
dayokanu: ^ So Osas is now a prof. That guy show us for EEE 201 and 202

so dayokanu, u are an enginner also and OAU product? Some1 will thought u read Pol science cos of d way u argue in Politics section.

Am also an engineer(Computer) bt grad frm BUK.
Re: OAU Graduates 78 First Class Students by lif2uz(m): 8:41pm On Dec 19, 2012
Congrats to the graduants, good performance!
Re: OAU Graduates 78 First Class Students by hariorh: 8:41pm On Dec 19, 2012
fittty: If this were to be a private institution some slow pokes on here would run their mouths! undecided

78 1st class out of 5000 graduating students from OAU. That's normal sir. But when your private schools dish out 80 1st class students out of about 250 graduating students, then YES! We must run our mouth!

4 Likes

Re: OAU Graduates 78 First Class Students by PASTORMK(m): 8:42pm On Dec 19, 2012
godstino: Thatz goodnews..OBA AWON 4 LIFE.
wink
YES U GET IT, THAT IS MY ALHMA MATHA
CONGRAT GRADUANT
Re: OAU Graduates 78 First Class Students by wkid(m): 8:44pm On Dec 19, 2012

Yes O! Omogui was also made a prof in May. In part 3 Osasona awarded only 2 As out of 143 students in EEE 309(D simplest course in part 3). Imagine d guy was deducting marks 4 handwriting & oda rubbish. If u write anything oda than "Electronics & Electrical Engineering" in d space for dept, he'll deduct marks. Simple things like omitting d letter 's' & interchanging the two Es were penalized also.
Re: OAU Graduates 78 First Class Students by ektbear: 8:44pm On Dec 19, 2012
wkid:
Talk bout Pol Sci. & lots of oda depts where u'll never c any 1st klass. U'll have lecturers saying "A is for God, B is for my family, C is for brilliant students". A visiting lecturer 4rm Unilag in English Dept was told to reduce d grades of his results because d no of pple who had an A were too much according to OAU standard.

So, does each department have a GPA policy? In my experience, the way grades are assigned is as follows:

1. Assign some raw scores for the class to each student
2. Map these to grades in a way in such a manner that the average GPA is close to the department standard.

Is this how it is done at Ife? If so, then how does one justify giving a pretty smart student a below average grade (unless the smart student's raw score was below average)?
Re: OAU Graduates 78 First Class Students by PASTORMK(m): 8:46pm On Dec 19, 2012
shocked HUMMM, GUD PERFORMANCE, I LOVE DAT, BUT I DONT TINK IT WILL BE LIKE OUR TIME, WELL U ARE WELCOME TO MARKET
Re: OAU Graduates 78 First Class Students by ektbear: 8:46pm On Dec 19, 2012
wkid:

Yes O! Omogui was also made a prof in May. In part 3 Osasona awarded only 2 As out of 143 students in EEE 309(D simplest course in part 3). Imagine d guy was deducting marks 4 handwriting & oda rubbish. If u write anything oda than "Electronics & Electrical Engineering" in d space for dept, he'll deduct marks. Simple things like omitting d letter 's' & interchanging the two Es were penalized also.

2 As in a class of 143? The guy sounds like an 1diot. Assignment of final grades shouldn't really be in the hands of the lecturer anyways...there should be standard guidelines.
Re: OAU Graduates 78 First Class Students by solelymade: 8:49pm On Dec 19, 2012
Wats up wit part2 elect, it seems dat's d toughest level in elect @ oau. Well ur dept produced d overall best 4 this convocating set(2010/2011) wit shaquo and kevin havin a cgpa of 4.92 each. Wishin dem all success in their pursuit

1 Like

Re: OAU Graduates 78 First Class Students by Nobody: 8:51pm On Dec 19, 2012
I see the OAU graduates here are having very fond memories of the school but I assure you that what you left is not what OAU is today;OAU was the first government institution to hold her Post Utme,one of the last to paste results...without any list for the faculty of law..."Africa's most beautiful Campus"? I assure you,none of us affected are having remotely beautiful thoughts about OAU at the moment.

1 Like

Re: OAU Graduates 78 First Class Students by dayokanu(m): 8:52pm On Dec 19, 2012
abdulkayus:

so dayokanu, u are an enginner also and OAU product? Some1 will thought u read Pol science cos of d way u argue in Politics section.

Am also an engineer(Computer) bt grad frm BUK.

I be Chemical Engineer oo

My department has always produced the best graduating students in OAU

From Prof Ohanomah, to Simeon Adeponle to Ahmed Shittu to Deju Akere, to Tope Ajetunmobi
Re: OAU Graduates 78 First Class Students by PASTORMK(m): 8:53pm On Dec 19, 2012
wkid:

kiss
SO THOSE PROFs NEVA CHANGE, WEL THANK FOR PROF WALE, ROGER, WALE ADEBAYO, JIDE IGE, FAFUNWA, ORENE, CRAIGE OTHERS
Re: OAU Graduates 78 First Class Students by dayokanu(m): 8:55pm On Dec 19, 2012
ekt_bear: So, does each department have a GPA policy? In my experience, the way grades are assigned is as follows:

2. Map these to grades in a way in such a manner that the average GPA is close to the department standard.

Is this how it is done at Ife? If so, then how does one justify giving a pretty smart student a below average grade (unless the smart student's raw score was below average)?

For numeric subjects its difficult to twist grades and screw them over because 1 + 1 = 2 everywhere in the world.

But in Pol science you can argue anything and be right, in these fields there are no right and wrong answers
Re: OAU Graduates 78 First Class Students by wkid(m): 8:56pm On Dec 19, 2012
ekt_bear:

So, does each department have a GPA policy? In my experience, the way grades are assigned is as follows:

Seems u studied abroad. Although dat system only apply to some sadists(nt all lecturers) at Ife.
Re: OAU Graduates 78 First Class Students by PASTORMK(m): 8:56pm On Dec 19, 2012
koonbey: I see the OAU graduates here are having very fond memories of the school but I assure you that what you left is not what OAU is today;OAU was the first government institution to hold her Post Utme,one of the last to paste results...without any list for the faculty of law..."Africa's most beautiful Campus"? I assure you,none of us affected are having remotely beautiful thoughts about OAU at the moment.

undecided
HUMMM
Re: OAU Graduates 78 First Class Students by bigmaut: 8:57pm On Dec 19, 2012
they claim 2 know 2 much churning out cash/sex & carry 1st class & prof. why is the country still backward technologically what impact hav they made 2 dia fatherland??none 1st class or prof. my foot.
Re: OAU Graduates 78 First Class Students by wkid(m): 8:57pm On Dec 19, 2012
ekt_bear:

Re: OAU Graduates 78 First Class Students by dayokanu(m): 8:59pm On Dec 19, 2012
solelymade:
Wats up wit part2 elect, it seems dat's d toughest level in elect @ oau. Well ur dept produced d overall best 4 this convocating set(2010/2011) wit shaquo and kevin havin a cgpa of 4.92 each. Wishin dem all success in their pursuit

There is another Dr Pedro in Mechanical who teaches Fluid Mechanics. When he traveled to South Africa he repented
Re: OAU Graduates 78 First Class Students by lordmassac(m): 9:06pm On Dec 19, 2012
Chai! C 1st class as he dry waste... To get 1st class for Unilorin na war! U must be a genius of the 1st order.
Re: OAU Graduates 78 First Class Students by patostation(m): 9:08pm On Dec 19, 2012
My Alma Mater does not award first class degrees anyhow. In my year of graduation, there were less than 10 first class graduates. It is a legacy I am very proud of though sometimes we are at a disadvantage in the job market and national ranking. In my office I find so many 2.1 and 2.2 graduates who run to me to help them draft one letter or the other because they simply cannot write a common memo. But I have a 2.2! It baffles me how schools are dishing out academic and honorary degrees. It does not help Nigeria. All things said, I must acknowledge my respect for OAU. I am a Great Lion.

2 Likes

Re: OAU Graduates 78 First Class Students by Laftakay(m): 9:08pm On Dec 19, 2012
Malawian: Nigerian universities should stop grading their students. there should be a centralized body to do the grading on their behalf. this will solve two problems, first is the sex for grades rubbish, second and more importantly will be to prevent these illiterate yaribas from constantly dashing themselves first class and phds. i have said my own.

do u mean yorubas? i want to know ur view concernin GEJ's PhD certificate and Patience's B.Sc

1 Like

Re: OAU Graduates 78 First Class Students by Sleek05(f): 9:18pm On Dec 19, 2012
The only thing I got from this thread was how jarus was so quick to say 'one too' as regards being a FirstClass grad. Was dat rly necessary?
Re: OAU Graduates 78 First Class Students by NoQualms1(f): 9:20pm On Dec 19, 2012
delors: Getting a First class will only open wide doors of opportunities for one but it could be frustrating if it is not put to better use. I had a first class from OAU and Omole was my project supervisor back then before he became the VC...First class could be a problem if not properly handled especially in a crazy country like Nigeria...the expectations, the burden, the anxiety etc could be killing...(from personal expi) grin

You could not have said it better. This country is really messed up.
Re: OAU Graduates 78 First Class Students by lexxyboz: 9:30pm On Dec 19, 2012
Nairaland founder was my room mate in part 2. Faj annex . Seun Osewa . Very very brilliant chap . 1st class material per excellent. You read his jottings and u sure of A big C in your course.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

All Hotels In Owerri Fully Booked! FGGC Owerri Old Students Stranded / Tension In Ibadan Poly As Student Dies At Medical Centre / ASUU: Our Public Universities Are Still Unsafe For Reopening

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.