Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,103 members, 7,818,294 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:09 PM

Hnd: A Dust Certificate - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Hnd: A Dust Certificate (3946 Views)

Top HND Holders In Nigeria / Hnd Graduates Can Now Rise Above Level 14 / Why This Discrimination Between B.Sc & HND? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Hnd: A Dust Certificate by ade4prof: 2:09pm On Feb 18, 2008
The Higher National Diploma in Nigeria Honours from Polytechnic has be declared as Dust Certificate
Re: Hnd: A Dust Certificate by obybabe(f): 10:23am On Jul 21, 2008
ade4prof:

The Higher National Diploma in Nigeria Honours from Polytechnic has be declared as Dust Certificate

This is a very serious matter that is likely going to affect many young Nigerians with the same certificate.
The rate at which job opportunities published in dailies are laying more emphasis on degree holders than Hnd holders.  (90% of degree holders and less than 10% of Hnd holders).
It think this situation must be handled before it becomes to late for the HND undergraduates
Re: Hnd: A Dust Certificate by Biliamin(m): 2:30pm On Jul 21, 2008
what can one do?

anybody with an idea of what to do should kindly contribute on this thread because the issue is really getting out of hand.
Re: Hnd: A Dust Certificate by ishmael(m): 8:06am On Jul 23, 2008
HND certificate is not the problem. The problem is the name of the school that awards the certificate; they call the school POLYTECHNIC. Polytechnics are not recognised or seen as a school for higher learning by some people and as such they discriminate or refuse to recognise the HND certificate issued by it. If HND was to be the name of the certificate being issued to university graduates no body will look down at it, because it is coming from a UNIVERSITY. Like wise let the name of the certificate issued by polytechnics be Bsc; they will still discriminate against the Bsc because it is coming from a POLYTECHNIC.
Re: Hnd: A Dust Certificate by obybabe(f): 10:58am On Jul 23, 2008
ishmael:

HND certificate is not the problem. The problem is the name of the school that awards the certificate; they call the school POLYTECHNIC. Polytechnics are not recognised or seen as a school for higher learning by some people and as such they discriminate or refuse to recognise the HND certificate issued by it. If HND was to be the name of the certificate being issued to university graduates no body will look down at it, because it is coming from a UNIVERSITY. Like wise let the name of the certificate issued by polytechnics be Bsc; they will still discriminate against the Bsc because it is coming from a POLYTECHNIC.

If that may be the case, the government should close anything called Polytechnic or rename them to suit what will enable the certificates (HND) award to be acceptable in the labour market.

Because this idea of saying that HND is equivalent to Bsc is quit complex because is not real. Assume it is real all these publications in the dailies will always request for Bsc or the equivalent but the reverse is the case.
Re: Hnd: A Dust Certificate by omoanho(f): 5:20pm On Jul 24, 2008
i just tire for this country, for instance,what makes a Bsc accounting graduates better than HND accounting graduates? God help us. Untill we realised that more emphasis should be placed on the person than the certificate, this discrimination palaver will continue.
Re: Hnd: A Dust Certificate by jemowhara(m): 4:55am On Jul 29, 2008
HND certificates still remain valid. It is not easy to be a graduate therefore don't be afraid of holding your precious document.
If any one thinks HND is less value to B.sc, he/she should try toronto product then you know exactly what i mean.
Re: Hnd: A Dust Certificate by ucheuche1(m): 10:48am On Jul 29, 2008
My brother this HND wahala no be small tin o.do u know i wept on my POP day (NYSC) 2005/2006 FCT. we asked by Diamond Bank to submit our CVs as fresh corpers, i went there with my mates only to be told "sorry we don't take for HND here" imagine my disappointment. i wept. and there n then i promised my self that i'll do better than a bank job. today, i'm manger where i work and i just got admission 2 do my MBA with the University of Liverpool (only yesterday) with the same HND o, 2 be sponsored by my office.so its not wat its on d certificate but wetin u carry inside. but the good news is that the fed. govt. has directed all the polytechnics to start awarding B.TECH degrees instead of the present HNd from next year. in fact they are upgrading these polytechnics to the status of degree awarding institutions from next year. Note: this is not the charade that the OBJ govt. started that didn't see the light of day. this is hoping that this works.
Re: Hnd: A Dust Certificate by jemowhara(m): 1:22am On Jul 30, 2008
I hated polytechnics but when i gained admission into it, then i discovered that products pass products. Universities students usually come to my school to hire sharp minded colleagues to impersonate for them. You see, after graduation they still have the gods to call HND A Dust Certificate. May Jehhovah God have mercy upon their souls.

I want to use this medium to call on all HND holders within and in diaspora that, what you are having is a precious document which no man can impair by mere words of jealousy. The jailer is not better of than the prisoners.

I have see many HND holders who have climb beyond the zenith in the ladder of succcess. uche_uche wasn't a B.sc holder yet he is heading Deree holders just because of his brilliant performance. I wish you success as you journey to England to complete your second degree and be great like Bill Gate.

I know that one day we all shall get there because "who God has bless no man can curse". Jeremiah 29:11 said " For I know the thought that I think towards you, thought of peace and not of evil to give you an expected end." It is well.
Re: Hnd: A Dust Certificate by ishmael(m): 1:46pm On Jul 30, 2008
In Britian HND is less than BSc in value and quality. To get HND in UK you spend 2 years, and sometimes it is done in a university that awards Bsc in the course you are pursuing your HND. All you need to do to get HND there is to spend 2 years (without carrying out any project/research work) out of the 3 years Bsc program and get out with HND certificate without honors. From the above HND is not the same thing as BSc, neither are they equivalent.

But in Nigeria, you spend your first 2 years pursuing a National Diploma (research project compulsory); after which you go for one year compulsory working experience scheme, then back to school and spend another 2 years, do a research project and graduate,(5 years all together like the BEng and BTech programs) but instead of them giving you a Bsc or BTech or BEng you are given HND with out honors.

You can see why there is a discrimination between HND and Bsc. But go through the course curricula for both HND and Bsc in nigeria, you won't be suprise to see that the HND is richer in content and course work than the Bsc.

May God save the proposed Polytechnic BTech certificate from discrimination, amen.
Re: Hnd: A Dust Certificate by pharmow: 3:56am On Aug 04, 2008
I dont know how to put it but honestly speaking i think the HND and Bsc issue needs to be iron out properly in this country,it has always been an headache for me to realised that after spending more than 5yrs in yabatech with an upper credit some organization could prefer a university 2-2 degree to my grade.Had it mean they really know what polytechnic students go thru they will never think of discriminating at all.the government needs to do a lot on this fast, as most company giving scholarship do not even try to consider polytechnic undergraduate at all even after they had been convinced beyond that polytechnic products are sound yet they keep saying the country is not developing technologically.in addition to that,a lot need to be said about the banking industry,if i say that the banks discriminate against HND, this will be a gross understatement because they kill polytechnic graduates spirit and make them regret even going to tertiary institution after burning night candles for years.i pray that this issue is given due consideration and necessary actions are taken on time.
Re: Hnd: A Dust Certificate by inspireme: 5:51pm On Aug 05, 2008
you must be kidding for that statement about HND because stastics have shown that HNDholders perform better at work than BSC holders ,beside that professional exams has confirm it with their accreditation exercise where many university were not accredited so dont call it dust certificate if you dont value yours we do.
Re: Hnd: A Dust Certificate by ishmael(m): 5:47pm On Aug 06, 2008
inspireme:

you must be kidding for that statement about HND because stastics have shown that HNDholders perform better at work than BSC holders ,beside that professional exams has confirm it with their accreditation exercise where many university were not accredited so don't call it dust certificate if you don't value yours we do.

i value my HND cert too.
Re: Hnd: A Dust Certificate by kachikapor(m): 7:53am On Aug 07, 2008
I have always believed that 'man maketh the moment' and not the other way around. While it will be absolute delusion to think that the discrimination does not exist, I want to tell the house that rather than this being in the majority, they're actually in the minority.

Many of these firms are now realising that the requisite skills needed to excel are being taught in Polytechnics. I am proud to have graduated from a good polytechnic, and I am prouder that it took me only 4 weeks after NYSC to get my present job. I think its because they saw something different in me and others like me (You too!)

my advice however is that we should not rest on just our first degrees or diplomas. this goes to everyone out there, BSc, HND, everyone! Nigeria is getting to a point where you'll probably need BSc to become a mechanic. the key is going professional. Get certifications and nobody will be talking about whether he/she has HND or BSc or whatever.
Re: Hnd: A Dust Certificate by ishmael(m): 8:06am On Aug 08, 2008
Undue advantage has been given to Bsc Degree holders over HND holders in Nigeria in terms of employment, scholarship and job progression, that is why the society believes that even if you are a dullard and you find your self in the university you are better than an intelligent person that reads in a polytechnic. Even employers of labour in the financial sector have come to believe that Degree holders in courses like yoruba, hausa, linguistics, Arts etc. are better than HND holders in Accounting, Bus. Admin, Banking & Finance etc. for tellering job.

HND certificate is not a dust certificate, it has taken many to the peak of their careers.

May God help HND holders.
Re: Hnd: A Dust Certificate by Zoller(f): 5:46pm On Aug 08, 2008
I have never think about discrimination as far as my HND certificate is concerned. I know whom i am, i do believe that i am special when it come to issue of competition. Presently i am working with a construction company and i am doing fine over there. During my interview for the job, 4 candidates are Bsc holder and i am the only HND. God have his way because i was found better than them when it come to computer stuff. I am working with Isrealite and Indian, they believe much in your ability rather than certificate. I will advise everybody to improve in their ability rather than discrimination.
Thanks buddies
Re: Hnd: A Dust Certificate by ishmael(m): 5:33pm On Aug 11, 2008
Zoller:

I have never think about discrimination as far as my HND certificate is concerned. I know whom i am, i do believe that i am special when it come to issue of competition. Presently i am working with a construction company and i am doing fine over there. During my interview for the job, 4 candidates are Bsc holder and i am the only HND. God have his way because i was found better than them when it come to computer stuff. I am working with Isrealite and Indian, they believe much in your ability rather than certificate. I will advise everybody to improve in their ability rather than discrimination.
Thanks buddies

You do well.
Re: Hnd: A Dust Certificate by wale02(m): 8:28pm On Aug 11, 2008
I WONDER WHAT NIGERIA GOVT IS DOING TO OUR EDUCATION SYSTEM, POLYTECHNIC EDUCATION SURPOSE TO BE PURELY VOCATIONAL BUT WHAT DO WE HAVE TODAY, POLYTECHNIC OFFER COURSES {MOSTLY IN MANAGEMENT FIELD} THAT MADE THEM DEPENDENT ON THE LABOUR MARKET,RATHER THAN BEEN THEIR OWN EMPLOYER, I THINK GOVT SHOULD RE- PACKAGED POLY. PROGRAMME, NBTE SHOULD RISE TO THE CHALLENGE. ALL OF US CANNOT GO UNIVERSITY.
Re: Hnd: A Dust Certificate by ishmael(m): 8:00pm On Aug 12, 2008
wale02:

I WONDER WHAT NIGERIA GOVT IS DOING TO OUR EDUCATION SYSTEM, POLYTECHNIC EDUCATION SURPOSE TO BE PURELY VOCATIONAL BUT WHAT DO WE HAVE TODAY, POLYTECHNIC OFFER COURSES {MOSTLY IN MANAGEMENT FIELD} THAT MADE THEM DEPENDENT ON THE LABOUR MARKET,RATHER THAN BEEN THEIR OWN EMPLOYER, I THINK GOVT SHOULD RE- PACKAGED POLY. PROGRAMME, NBTE SHOULD RISE TO THE CHALLENGE. ALL OF US CANNOT GO UNIVERSITY.

it's the fault of our government and other university graduates in the society. they don't care about polytechnic education. they look down at polytechnic graduates.

(1) (Reply)

OAUTHC CBT Test Past Questions / Access Bank Or University Of Porthsmouth / Life Of A Banker

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.