Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,691 members, 7,955,595 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 10:09 AM

Instagram Denies Having Right To Sell Users' Photos - Entertainment - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Instagram Denies Having Right To Sell Users' Photos (2996 Views)

Regina Askia Denies Calling Femi Fani Kayode A Bastard / Adewale Ayuba Denies Being Beaten-up By Mobile Policemen / Dbanj Denies Owning Mo-hits. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Instagram Denies Having Right To Sell Users' Photos by simongonner: 1:03pm On Dec 19, 2012
Facebook's photo-sharing service Instagram has moved to deny that it has changed its privacy policy to give it the right to sell users' photos to advertisers without notification.

It said instead that users had incorrectly interpreted its revised terms of serviced, which it blamed on its "confusing" choice of language. Instagram's clarification follows much user opposition to the believed change. "To be clear: it is not our intention to sell your photos," it said. Instagram chief executive Kevin Systrom said in a blog posting: "It is our mistake that this language is confusing. "We are working on updated language in the terms to make sure this is clear." Compulsory changes to Instagram's terms of service are due to come into effect on 16
January, The originally proposed new wording that caused the controversy included: "You hereby grant to Instagram a non-exclusive, fully paid and royalty-free, transferable, sub-licensable,
worldwide license to use the content that you post on or through the service."

The terms also stated that "a business or other entity may pay us to display your username, likeness, photos, and/or actions you take, in connection with paid or sponsored content or promotions, without any compensation to you." Following Instagram's denial, the Electronic Frontier Foundation, a US pressure group that campaigns for consumer rights on websites and in social media, told the BBC that "there appeared to be a little bit of a word game at play here". "It clearly looked like Instagram was indeed grabbing the extra rights," added spokesman Parker Higgins. "It is hard to evaluate the damage this may cause to the company at this early stage, but any social network risks losing the trust of its users. And social networks depend on users being willing to share information, on users seeing them in good terms."

Facebook bought Instagram for $1bn (£616m; 758m euros) in April of this year. Instagram now has 100 million users.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-20777616

Re: Instagram Denies Having Right To Sell Users' Photos by kokoye(m): 6:33pm On Dec 19, 2012
Liars.

They backpedaled only after seeing users' outrage.
Re: Instagram Denies Having Right To Sell Users' Photos by Tsmooth1(m): 6:35pm On Dec 19, 2012
Re: Instagram Denies Having Right To Sell Users' Photos by Goldieluks: 6:38pm On Dec 19, 2012
tsk tsk!
Re: Instagram Denies Having Right To Sell Users' Photos by Nobody: 6:38pm On Dec 19, 2012
Huh?
The fear of greedy capitalists is the begining of privacy consciousness
Re: Instagram Denies Having Right To Sell Users' Photos by otumfour(m): 6:39pm On Dec 19, 2012
anyting facebook touches.....COUNT ME OUT...so instagram SORRY,...

[img]http:///gallery/d/181971-3/Baby-up-stairs-I-must-go.gif[/img]
Re: Instagram Denies Having Right To Sell Users' Photos by Afam4eva(m): 6:40pm On Dec 19, 2012
It now turns out we don't understand English again. This people are liars. They backpedaled after they noticed that a lot of people were against it.
Re: Instagram Denies Having Right To Sell Users' Photos by Nobody: 6:42pm On Dec 19, 2012
otumfour: anyting facebook touches.....COUNT ME OUT...so instagram SORRY,...

[img]http:///gallery/d/181971-3/Baby-up-stairs-I-must-go.gif[/img]
This looks like Okija_Juju's signature posts
Re: Instagram Denies Having Right To Sell Users' Photos by OkikiOluwa1(m): 6:49pm On Dec 19, 2012
Something tells me that they are lieing.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Instagram Denies Having Right To Sell Users' Photos by Olucheye(m): 6:52pm On Dec 19, 2012
Already deactivated my account with them yesterday. So if they like they can exchange other people's picture there for G2SO4. Not my biz anymore
Re: Instagram Denies Having Right To Sell Users' Photos by Bawss1(m): 7:00pm On Dec 19, 2012
Did you guys bother reading Instagram's reply? They admitted that the wordings of the terms of use ( which users never bother to read anyways) was confusing hence was interpreted wrongly. Nobody is lying here. They erred and have made corrections.
Re: Instagram Denies Having Right To Sell Users' Photos by manny4life(m): 7:02pm On Dec 19, 2012
Corporations, just like Govt are very good at lying even in the face of evidence.

They sell your party pics for several hundreds of thousands of $$$, you find your picture party promoting website. The time involved in hiring a lawyer, suing them, getting compensation et al, in fact, they will stall the suit and reach settlement. At the end, you're at loss, perhaps they settle for 1/10th of what they sold it for... who looses?

Continue to use FB/Instagram at your own risk. A word is enough for the wise.
Re: Instagram Denies Having Right To Sell Users' Photos by otumfour(m): 7:04pm On Dec 19, 2012
Ada Nri1:
This looks like Okija_Juju's signature posts

WTF! undecided

Re: Instagram Denies Having Right To Sell Users' Photos by llouis: 7:29pm On Dec 19, 2012
On the internet its like this:
If you pay for a product it becomes yours, but
If its free and you register for it, you become the product.

In the light of this i don't understand why everyone is so vexed about this. Any social platform like yahoo, facebook, instagram or whoever that allows you to register and run things for free has the right to sell and share info on u to governments or companies that are sourcing for such.

U just wait till 2015 when u start getting annoying text messages to vote for who and who and then you will realize that the same things been done here in naija as well, so b careful the kind of info you put online,else your so called private life is being monitored by one agency or another.

Facebook is out to acquire whatsapp, when this happens i guess bb wud probably b the only safe way to communicate, since it aint free.

2 Likes

Re: Instagram Denies Having Right To Sell Users' Photos by Nobody: 8:49pm On Dec 19, 2012
kokoye: Liars.

They backpedaled only after seeing users' outrage.
very true.
Re: Instagram Denies Having Right To Sell Users' Photos by eherbal(m): 7:28am On Dec 20, 2012
tongue in cheek explanation.can't imagine my beautiful album collection that i slaved to take being sold to a company without any royalty coming to me.How mean can this capitalist be?Maybe they want us to soil their website.Waiting for their rejoinder
Re: Instagram Denies Having Right To Sell Users' Photos by Nobody: 8:14am On Dec 20, 2012
They came under heavy fire
Re: Instagram Denies Having Right To Sell Users' Photos by YoungGame: 9:45am On Dec 20, 2012
llouis: On the internet its like this:
If you pay for a product it becomes yours, but
If its free and you register for it, you become the product.

In the light of this i don't understand why everyone is so vexed about this. Any social platform like yahoo, facebook, instagram or whoever that allows you to register and run things for free has the right to sell and share info on u to governments or companies that are sourcing for such.

U just wait till 2015 when u start getting annoying text messages to vote for who and who and then you will realize that the same things been done here in naija as well, so b careful the kind of info you put online,else your so called private life is being monitored by one agency or another.

Facebook is out to acquire whatsapp, when this happens i guess bb wud probably b the only safe way to communicate, since it aint free.
So true

(1) (Reply)

9ice Divorces Wife / If You Didnt Do These Your Childhood Is Not Complete / Girls Can Do Anything To Trend On Twitter, What Is This??

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.