Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,226 members, 7,825,865 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 03:35 AM

My Car, Nissan Altima '00, Does Not Start Immediately After Buying Fuel - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / My Car, Nissan Altima '00, Does Not Start Immediately After Buying Fuel (2398 Views)

2005 Nissan Altima Vs 2005 Toyota Camry / Fine For Buying Fuel In Jerrycan / Peugeot 307 Problems! Help! Car Does Not Start When Hot! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Car, Nissan Altima '00, Does Not Start Immediately After Buying Fuel by Arizona1: 10:52am On Dec 20, 2012
I use a Nissan Altima 2000 Model. Recently I noticed that after buying fuel from filling stations, the car does not start immediately untill after 3 to 5 mins. Even if it starts it goes again untill I give it little time before it starts normally and moves smoothly, no jerking, accelerates smoothly and normally, doesn't somoke,consumes fuel normally etc.

Please what could be the problem...
Re: My Car, Nissan Altima '00, Does Not Start Immediately After Buying Fuel by Nobody: 11:48am On Dec 20, 2012
^^^ Does this occur if you fill the tank from almost empty? If you add more fuel, and you've got let's say a quarter of a tank left, do you still get the same hard-start issues?
Re: My Car, Nissan Altima '00, Does Not Start Immediately After Buying Fuel by Denn(m): 12:04pm On Dec 20, 2012
possibly the fuel pump....

fuel serves as a coolant for the fuel pump so its not advisable to drive to near empty all the time.

your fuel pump might be 'ending' its useful life....
Re: My Car, Nissan Altima '00, Does Not Start Immediately After Buying Fuel by Arizona1: 12:16pm On Dec 20, 2012
Siena: ^^^ Does this occur if you fill the tank from almost empty? If you add more fuel, and you've got let's say a quarter of a tank left, do you still get the same hard-start issues?

Yes, it happens all the time, when the tank is almost empty or when I add more fuel, and it's still occuring though I've not tried when it's on quater tank.
Actually it has been happening for about 1 month now and I've been ignoring it but I think it'll be better to check it now before it metamophoses to a bigger issue.
Re: My Car, Nissan Altima '00, Does Not Start Immediately After Buying Fuel by Arizona1: 12:19pm On Dec 20, 2012
Denn: possibly the fuel pump....

fuel serves as a coolant for the fuel pump so its not advisable to drive to near empty all the time.

your fuel pump might be 'ending' its useful life....

My brother I think you are right because my wife always drive near empty tank before I refill.
Re: My Car, Nissan Altima '00, Does Not Start Immediately After Buying Fuel by Nobody: 10:43pm On Dec 20, 2012
Just change ur fuel pump...I have a 1999 Nissan Altima. Siena, abeg no yab me o! My Nissan Altima is like a younger brother to me. I always know the problem anytime it 'coughs'.
@Poster. How dare u drive Nissan Altima on an almost empty fuel tank. its not advisable. Your fuel pump will always have problems after a short while. I buy my own fuel pump in Abuja N3000 and I fix it myself. If mechanic wants to buy it for u. They will collect N7000/N8000. And u will still pay them for fixing it. Most of the fuel pump vendors dont have a pressure guage. They test it the crude way using kerosene and car battery... Siena, abeg no yab me. Na local style i dey use for fuel pump.
Re: My Car, Nissan Altima '00, Does Not Start Immediately After Buying Fuel by ghazzal: 8:55am On Dec 21, 2012
@ chibube, thanks for the advice the last time.
I changed my fuel pump. after just 1 day, the problem i had returned again. I bought it for 7000 naira. The scan i did after the pump change indicates the fuel line is still the problem. so i had to change the fuel pump again. This second time, i bought it for 5000 naira- The car has since performed.

My conclusion is that not all pumps are of same Quality and i think altima 2000 is sensitive to this. A friend had to change his 3 times before getting his car to perform.
My Question is " is there a way to know a good fuel pump" there must be a particular brand around that is reliable or a place to buy.
Re: My Car, Nissan Altima '00, Does Not Start Immediately After Buying Fuel by Arizona1: 10:03am On Dec 21, 2012
chiebube: Just change ur fuel pump...I have a 1999 Nissan Altima. Siena, abeg no yab me o! My Nissan Altima is like a younger brother to me. I always know the problem anytime it 'coughs'.
@Poster. How dare u drive Nissan Altima on an almost empty fuel tank. its not advisable. Your fuel pump will always have problems after a short while. I buy my own fuel pump in Abuja N3000 and I fix it myself. If mechanic wants to buy it for u. They will collect N7000/N8000. And u will still pay them for fixing it. Most of the fuel pump vendors dont have a pressure guage. They test it the crude way using kerosene and car battery... Siena, abeg no yab me. Na local style i dey use for fuel pump.

Thanks my brother. I'll change the fuel pump at once..
Like ghazzal asked, is there a way we'll be able to know the right fuel pump for that 2000 model altima?
Re: My Car, Nissan Altima '00, Does Not Start Immediately After Buying Fuel by Nobody: 5:01pm On Dec 21, 2012
For now, I have not discovered any way of differentiating. I have not seen a fuel pressure guage. Besides, is there any1 that uses one in Abuja? For u 2 enjoy ur Altima, u need to have at least 15 litres of fuel in ur tank always. There is this crazy thing i tried... I keep old fuel pumps in my car and during emergency situations where the fuel pump in the tank goes bad, i bring out one of the very old fuel pumps I have kept, clean it with ABRO carburetor cleaner and fix it back. But, still it may not really last that long again though it will work for about a week or a bit more. Siena, abeg no laugh me o! Hmmm

Re: My Car, Nissan Altima '00, Does Not Start Immediately After Buying Fuel by sultaan(m): 6:02pm On Dec 22, 2012
Arizona1: I use a Nissan Altima 2000 Model. Recently I noticed that after buying fuel from filling stations, the car does not start immediately untill after 3 to 5 mins. Even if it starts it goes again untill I give it little time before it starts normally and moves smoothly, no jerking, accelerates smoothly and normally, doesn't somoke,consumes fuel normally etc.

Please what could be the problem...

What you wrote is difficult to understand, you didn't say if you have any MIL, it might be your crankshaft sensor going out, no mention if it happens in the morning (every time you stopped the car for a while.If it work fine it means your pump is good, just change your fuel filter and add some fuel injector cleaner just in case your injector is leaking fuel pressure. Stick with the simple service first.Part of diagnosis is if your car does not start immediately but only after a few turn of key it might be no pressure in fuel line to spray fuel at start so you are priming by turning key.

If no mech has worked on it prior do a simple fuel system service.Filter, injector cleaner
Re: My Car, Nissan Altima '00, Does Not Start Immediately After Buying Fuel by ZIMDRILL(m): 7:02pm On Dec 22, 2012
Siena: ^^^ Does this occur if you fill the tank from almost empty? If you add more fuel, and you've got let's say a quarter of a tank left, do you still get the same hard-start issues?

the reason seina asked this question is that, if you refill after the car has gone far beyond its reserve tank it ends up pumping dirt from the bottom of the tank inside and it clogs your bump hence you end up such problems but if the problem occurs even at quarter tank it is either the pump is dying slowly or its the fuel OCTANE check for one meant for your car

but also fuel pressure has to be checked and also the regulator

octane rating on fuel pump

(1) (Reply)

Pontiac Vibe Vs Toyota Corolla. / This Is Why You Should Buy A Hybrid Car / TOYOTA Rav4 2015

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.