Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,736 members, 7,817,029 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:45 PM

Which Region In Nigeria Produces The Best Musicians? - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Which Region In Nigeria Produces The Best Musicians? (6364 Views)

Which Region Produces Most Succesful Musicians / Nigga Raw,j Martins,wizboy And Duncan Mighty Who Is Ur Best Musicians? / North, South, East Or West, Which Region Holds Real Hip Hop Down In Naija? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Which Region In Nigeria Produces The Best Musicians? by sswiwa(f): 8:53pm On Apr 25, 2006
Which region in Nigeria produces the best musicians?  I'm from the Southeast, and as much as I love our beloved Chief Osita Osadebe, I have to say those Yoruba artists have been giving everyone else a run for their money for waaaay too long!  And where are the Northerners at?  Much love to Plateau State for representing the Middle Belt (what up, J-town?!), but bloody hell, man, is it just that Northerners can't sing?  If Dan Maraya is any indication of the talent from up there, undecided
Re: Which Region In Nigeria Produces The Best Musicians? by Manta(m): 2:21pm On Apr 27, 2006
If we're talking of contemplary naija music in genres like hiphop, rap and R&B, it is an understatement to say the Northen part of naija top the chart of quality musical aritists but, to be more precise, the Middle-belt region with states like Benue, Plateau, Nassarawa and the FCT in particular.

If you're in doubt, check out this list: -
Age Beeka, Sixfootplus, 2face, Blackface, Bravo D, Jeremiah Gyang, Dr. Fresh, El-dee, Romeo, the Zule-zoos, Pheroshuz, Terry the rapman, Rule-Clean, Blast, Zaaky Adzer etc etc
It's quite an unending list.

Re: Which Region In Nigeria Produces The Best Musicians? by sswiwa(f): 3:06pm On Apr 27, 2006
well, we can hardly classify plateau and benue states as northern states, i don't think one person in those states will take that lying down. and at the end of the day, i think Jos is producing a helluva lot of talent at the mo', i grew up in Jos, and I personally know more than one of these artists that are making a name for themselves, but we have to admit that this is still a relatively new occurrence on the naija music scene. that aside, are any of them making it by utilizing their creativity within their respective ethnic sounds? they're forever borrowing from yoruba music sequences and instruments, or even worse, fully succumbing to Western influences (which I find pretty sad most of the time)--so where is the true talent? or are they just like this because Nigeria doesn't have true musicians anymore, just fake artists whose sounds are only that good because they are over-produced in the studio?
Re: Which Region In Nigeria Produces The Best Musicians? by Christino(m): 8:14am On Aug 14, 2006
Obiwon, Ikechuckwu, P-square, Lemar, Inferno and whole lotta names I can't mention? where are they from?
Re: Which Region In Nigeria Produces The Best Musicians? by Oracle(m): 4:34am On Oct 10, 2006
Obiwon, Ikechukwu. I've not seen any good music those two have released.

as for ikechukwu, his track MY NAME IS IKECHUKWU is the worst thing that happened to music.
But he did a good rap in Dare Art Alade's[b] FUJI[/b]
Obiwon is worse
Re: Which Region In Nigeria Produces The Best Musicians? by Chxta(m): 9:41pm On Oct 10, 2006
Jesus. We want to carry over our tribalist tendencies to music again?
Re: Which Region In Nigeria Produces The Best Musicians? by toluwalomo(m): 10:49am On Jan 28, 2009
As per music for the NOW generation it is the NORTH without a doubt. Especially Jos! Those people know the real defintion of HIP HOP. I am talking majority before yall slaughter me.

In terms of massive representation ans as far as hip hop is concerned. Plateau State is the SHIT.

PH is also a very strong contender. And even offers better prospects in terms of musical versatility.

BAYELSA, DELTA AND EDO offer a more ground to earth and contemporary version of music for the grass roots.

Lagos na jus swagger. The music capital of Naija. Everybody zooms there to make a music fortune. Too much efizzi hardly any natural born talents.

Of course there are exceptions but on the whole far more talents outside Lagos than in Lagos.
Re: Which Region In Nigeria Produces The Best Musicians? by Nobody: 3:57pm On Jan 28, 2009
sswiwa:

If Dan Maraya is any indication of the talent from up there, undecided

I also grew up in Jos but I'm not here to battle on sides but i think about it too alot. Lagos is the capital of music and hence why yoruba is the dominantly represented language of music; that makes sence. However if we are to talk of talents emerging from other regions, I'll definatly say J-Town is a heavy contender. What I mean by this is that, Plateau State has been very infleuncial in crafting talents. My list here are thos artists that either were born, lived, brought up or went to school in Plateau State.
In addition to the list, we also have M.I, Adu Deme, Jesse Jagz, Modenine, Titi Williams-Davies (Female member of Amplifyd Crew), Tunde Akinsanmi(member of Styl-Plus) Pam Monday(gospel singer) and the newest artists like Joanna Botmang, Ice Prince , and continuing,
I'm sure my nairalanders are going to be like who are those artists?  shocked
It will be wrong to claim that Plateau State produces the best musicians because for an artist to be the best, he/she has to have longetivity in their careers and awards to prove it as well. So Plateau is a contender but definately will not crown it the best.
Re: Which Region In Nigeria Produces The Best Musicians? by JosBoy4Lif(m): 7:47am On Mar 31, 2009
Didn't even mention Jeremiah Gyang the most powerful voice of them all.
2Face also went to UJ you know and was born in JOS.
The PSquare boys were born and grew up in Jos no?
Re: Which Region In Nigeria Produces The Best Musicians? by JosBoy4Lif(m): 7:51am On Mar 31, 2009
Christino:

Obiwon, Ikechuckwu, P-square, Lemar, Inferno and whole lotta names I can't mention? where are they from?

P-square were born and raised in Jos FYI. undecided
Lemar is British, man was raised in London, ?
Re: Which Region In Nigeria Produces The Best Musicians? by jiggaz(m): 9:35am On Mar 31, 2009
Well ma guyz,i will say Jos, Enugu n PH. For now M.I is representin J-town, Nigga Raw Enugu n Timaya PH. End of discussion.
Re: Which Region In Nigeria Produces The Best Musicians? by jiggaz(m): 9:35am On Mar 31, 2009
Well ma guyz,i will say Jos, Enugu n PH. For now M.I is representin J-town, Nigga Raw Enugu n Timaya PH. End of discussion.

(1) (Reply)

FREE BEAT: Kiss Daniel – “sin City” (instrumental) / Can I Get Help With Lagbaja's "we Before Me" Album / Thread For The Names Of Musicians From Your State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.