Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,427 members, 7,819,554 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:02 PM

How Did Jesus Get Into Jerusalem: On One Or Two Donkeys? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How Did Jesus Get Into Jerusalem: On One Or Two Donkeys? (3613 Views)

Did Jesus Die for Our Sin? Which Sin? Ifeann Should Please Come In / Did Jesus Get Married? / Where Did Jesus Get His Name (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Did Jesus Get Into Jerusalem: On One Or Two Donkeys? by therationa(m): 3:41pm On Feb 19, 2008
Matthew 21:1 - 9 paints the following scene:

Now when they drew near Jerusalem, and came to Bethphage, at the Mount of Olives, then Jesus sent two disciples, saying to them, “Go into the village opposite you, and immediately you will find a donkey tied, and a colt with her. Loose them and bring them to Me. And if anyone says anything to you, you shall say, ‘The Lord has need of them,’ and immediately he will send them.” All this was done that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophet, saying: “Tell the daughter of Zion, ‘Behold, your King is coming to you, lowly, and sitting on a donkey, a colt, the foal of a donkey.’ ” So the disciples went and did as Jesus commanded them. They brought the donkey and the colt, laid their clothes on them, and set Him on them. And a very great multitude spread their clothes on the road; others cut down branches from the trees and spread them on the road. Then the multitudes who went before and those who followed cried out, saying: “Hosanna to the Son of David! ‘Blessed is He who comes in the name of the Lord!’ Hosanna in the highest!”

Now consider the following;

Was Jesus riding one or both animals?

Do you know why this story appears at all in Matthew? It there a chance Matthew was simply setting the scene up so that it looked like the fulfillment of prophecy but was a bit careless with his facts?
Re: How Did Jesus Get Into Jerusalem: On One Or Two Donkeys? by JeSoul(f): 3:49pm On Feb 19, 2008
angry angry angry angry are you serious? angry angry angry angry you are no longer borderline crazy, this is full blown insanity! making up controversies where there is none. You are obsessed and need to get something checked!
Re: How Did Jesus Get Into Jerusalem: On One Or Two Donkeys? by Horus(m): 4:09pm On Feb 19, 2008

Ass's Colt

behold, thy King cometh, sitting on an ass’s colt. (John 12:15, in part)

If you Christians want to worship something, why don’t you worship the ass? After all, it was the ass that bore the Messiah Jesus’ weight and delivered him to the city of Jerusalem. The palms on the other hand, were merely laid on the ground to be stepped on and crumbled.
Re: How Did Jesus Get Into Jerusalem: On One Or Two Donkeys? by 4Him(m): 5:02pm On Feb 19, 2008
therationalist . . . why dont you try riding two horses at once then come tell us how nice the experience was.
Re: How Did Jesus Get Into Jerusalem: On One Or Two Donkeys? by therationa(m): 5:07pm On Feb 19, 2008
4Him:

therationalist . . . why don't you try riding two horses at once then come tell us how nice the experience was.

Don't know about horses. Donkeys are rather milder tempered than horses. So with some luck I think I can pull it off with two donkeys (one of which has got to be a colt - less bad tempered than his mother). Not even Jesus could have done it on horses. smiley
Re: How Did Jesus Get Into Jerusalem: On One Or Two Donkeys? by 4Him(m): 5:19pm On Feb 19, 2008
therationa:

Don't know about horses. Donkeys are rather milder tempered than horses. So with some luck I think I can pull it off with two donkeys (one of which has got to be a colt - less bad tempered than his mother). Not even Jesus could have done it on horses. smiley

grab an ass and a colt and give it a shot. smiley
Re: How Did Jesus Get Into Jerusalem: On One Or Two Donkeys? by bawomolo(m): 5:26pm On Feb 19, 2008
you are no longer borderline crazy, this is full blown insanity! making up controversies where there is none. You are obsessed and need to get something checked!

why don't u just admit, u are a blind sheep and have nothing to counter the opening post.

1 Like

Re: How Did Jesus Get Into Jerusalem: On One Or Two Donkeys? by 4Him(m): 5:31pm On Feb 19, 2008
bawomolo:

why don't u just admit, u are a blind sheep and have nothing to counter the opening post.

the opening post is not particularly sane . . . i mean you have to prove to me that it is possible to ride an ass and a colt AT THE SAME TIME before i even decide to counter it.
What say you?
Re: How Did Jesus Get Into Jerusalem: On One Or Two Donkeys? by bawomolo(m): 5:34pm On Feb 19, 2008

the opening post is not particularly sane . . . i mean you have to prove to me that it is possible to ride an ass and a colt AT THE SAME TIME before i even decide to counter it.
What say you?

isn't that what was written in the bible wink
Re: How Did Jesus Get Into Jerusalem: On One Or Two Donkeys? by 4Him(m): 5:35pm On Feb 19, 2008
bawomolo:

isn't that what was written in the bible wink

there is nothing to suggest that Christ rode BOTH the ass and the colt AT THE SAME TIME.
Re: How Did Jesus Get Into Jerusalem: On One Or Two Donkeys? by bawomolo(m): 5:39pm On Feb 19, 2008

there is nothing to suggest that Christ rode BOTH the ass and the colt AT THE SAME TIME.

then y insert it into the bible then. was Matthew inspired by the devil??

1 Like

Re: How Did Jesus Get Into Jerusalem: On One Or Two Donkeys? by 4Him(m): 5:40pm On Feb 19, 2008
bawomolo:

then y insert it into the bible then. was Matthew inspired by the devil??

u're confused. If i ask that you get me two cars, does that mean i am driving both at once?
Re: How Did Jesus Get Into Jerusalem: On One Or Two Donkeys? by bawomolo(m): 5:45pm On Feb 19, 2008
u're confused. If i ask that you get me two cars, does that mean i am driving both at once?

no jesus rode both the colt and the ass like a medieval love-vendor

Mark 11:7
And they brought the colt to Jesus, and cast their garments on him; and he sat upon him.

John 12:14
And Jesus, when he had found a young ass, sat thereon.

so which one is it??
Re: How Did Jesus Get Into Jerusalem: On One Or Two Donkeys? by 4Him(m): 5:47pm On Feb 19, 2008
bawomolo:

no jesus rode both the colt and the ass like a medieval love-vendor

Mark 11:7
And they brought the colt to Jesus, and cast their garments on him; and he sat upon him.

John 12:14
And Jesus, when he had found a young ass, sat thereon.

so which one is it??

a colt is defined as a young male horse under the age of 4 . . . you're begining to sound desperate.
Re: How Did Jesus Get Into Jerusalem: On One Or Two Donkeys? by bawomolo(m): 5:49pm On Feb 19, 2008
a colt is a young ass . . . you're begining to sound desperate.

please enlighten me, how do u know a colt is a young ass??

Jesus commanded them And brought the ass, and the colt, and put on them their clothes

the colt and ass are differentiated here.
Re: How Did Jesus Get Into Jerusalem: On One Or Two Donkeys? by 4Him(m): 5:53pm On Feb 19, 2008
bawomolo:

please enlighten me, how do u know a colt is a young ass??

if you looked at a dictionary u wouldnt be asking such a question.

skyone:

Jesus commanded them And brought the ass, and the colt, and put on them their clothes

the colt and ass are differentiated here.

an ass is different from a colt/young ass. the bible writers knew what they meant.
Re: How Did Jesus Get Into Jerusalem: On One Or Two Donkeys? by bawomolo(m): 5:55pm On Feb 19, 2008
an ass is different from a colt/young ass. the bible writers knew what they meant.

why put a cloak on both of them for jesus to ride??
Re: How Did Jesus Get Into Jerusalem: On One Or Two Donkeys? by 4Him(m): 5:58pm On Feb 19, 2008
bawomolo:

why put a cloak on both of them for jesus to ride??

That they put a cloak on both of them does not mean he rode both at once.
Re: How Did Jesus Get Into Jerusalem: On One Or Two Donkeys? by bawomolo(m): 5:59pm On Feb 19, 2008
That they put a cloak on both of them does not mean he rode both at once

and how do u know this.
Re: How Did Jesus Get Into Jerusalem: On One Or Two Donkeys? by 4Him(m): 6:02pm On Feb 19, 2008
bawomolo:

and how do u know this.

because neither of the gospel writers indicated that he rode BOTH AT ONCE.
Re: How Did Jesus Get Into Jerusalem: On One Or Two Donkeys? by bawomolo(m): 6:05pm On Feb 19, 2008
because neither of the gospel writers indicated that he rode BOTH AT ONCE.

but isn't it possible that a man with infinite powers such as jesus rode both at once?? what makesu think the gospel of mark and john are exact
Re: How Did Jesus Get Into Jerusalem: On One Or Two Donkeys? by therationa(m): 6:15pm On Feb 19, 2008
It says in the bible (Matt) that He rode on THEM

They brought the donkey and the colt, laid their clothes on them, and set Him on them
Re: How Did Jesus Get Into Jerusalem: On One Or Two Donkeys? by 4Him(m): 6:25pm On Feb 19, 2008
bawomolo:

but isn't it possible that a man with infinite powers such as jesus rode both at once?? what makesu think the gospel of mark and john are exact

Dont you think such a feat would have warranted special mention? It takes a miracle to ride an ass and a much smaller colt AT THE SAME TIME dont you think?

therationa:

It says in the bible (Matt) that He rode on THEM

They brought the donkey and the colt, laid their clothes on them, and set Him on them

I expect you to not just be able to ask questions but to be able to think things through urself. Can you ride an ass and a smaller colt at the same time?
Re: How Did Jesus Get Into Jerusalem: On One Or Two Donkeys? by therationa(m): 6:30pm On Feb 19, 2008
4Him:

Dont you think such a feat would have warranted special mention? It takes a miracle to ride an ass and a much smaller colt AT THE SAME TIME don't you think?

I expect you to not just be able to ask questions but to be able to think things through yourself. Can you ride an ass and a smaller colt at the same time?

So which version is wrong? Matt's?

and set Him on them. While it does not say he rode both, He was set on both(THEM). If you do not accept the version of events as narrated in Matt as plausible, the Matt is wrong. PERIOD.
Re: How Did Jesus Get Into Jerusalem: On One Or Two Donkeys? by Wordsmith(m): 6:31pm On Feb 19, 2008
Dude, seriously there's no need answering these two. . .it's a waste of time. . .heck, cooking a pot of beans ala ewa goin is more beneficial. . .
Re: How Did Jesus Get Into Jerusalem: On One Or Two Donkeys? by 4Him(m): 6:42pm On Feb 19, 2008
therationa:

So which version is wrong? Matt's?

and set Him on them. While it does not say he rode both, He was set on both(THEM). If you do not accept the version of events as narrated in Matt as plausible, the Matt is wrong. PERIOD.

its not about Matthew being wrong but about you two hypocrites struggling desperately to read errors into his gospel.
that Matthew mentioned "them" does not mean he wanted to say that Christ rode on both animals at ONCE.
you can think rationally, excercise ur brain.

A colt is much smaller than an Ass . . . it would take a feat of genius for a man to ride 2 animals of different sizes at once.

Wordsmith:

Dude, seriously there's no need answering these two. . .it's a waste of time. . .heck, cooking a pot of beans ala ewa goin is more beneficial. . .

i know . . . this two dudes like to make a lot of inconsequential noise. For once i decided to waste a bit of time pushing their own "questions" up their noses.
Re: How Did Jesus Get Into Jerusalem: On One Or Two Donkeys? by therationa(m): 6:49pm On Feb 19, 2008
4Him:

its not about Matthew being wrong but about you two hypocrites struggling desperately to read errors into his gospel.
that Matthew mentioned "them" does not mean he wanted to say that Christ rode on both animals at ONCE.
you can think rationally, excercise your brain.

A colt is much smaller than an Ass . . . it would take a feat of genius for a man to ride 2 animals of different sizes at once.

i know . . . this two dudes like to make a lot of inconsequential noise. For once i decided to waste a bit of time pushing their own "questions" up their noses.

I give up. I have seen far better christian apologetical defenses to this than I have seen from you. checkout http://www.apologeticspress.org/articles/595, you might learn a few.
Re: How Did Jesus Get Into Jerusalem: On One Or Two Donkeys? by Nobody: 6:51pm On Feb 19, 2008
(Matthew 21:2-7) - "Go into the village opposite you, and immediately you will find a donkey tied there and a colt with her; untie them, and bring them to Me. “And if anyone says something to you, you shall say, ‘The Lord has need of them,’ and immediately he will send them.”

There is no contradiction.

Matthew 21:2-7 tells us that there was both a donkey and a colt (a colt is a young donkey).
Mark and Luke focus on the colt only and mention that no one had ever sat upon it.
Mark and Luke are focusing on this detail while Matthew focuses on the prophetic fulfillment (Matthew 21:4-5).

Logically, if there are two animals, then there is also, at least, one animal. To say there was one does not mean there weren't two. This is not a verbal game. It is an issue of logic.
The fact that Mark and Luke mention one colt does not mean there is a contradiction anymore than saying that Frank and Joe came to my house last night but today I tell a friend about what Joe said last night and don't mention Frank.

[i]Zechariah 9:9 [/i]is the scripture that Matthew refers to. It says, "Rejoice greatly, O daughter of Zion! Shout in triumph, O daughter of Jerusalem! Behold, your king is coming to you; he is just and endowed with salvation, humble, and mounted on a donkey, even on a colt, the foal of a donkey."

We can see that Matthew is simply including both animals as was prophesied in Zechariah.

Why would both be needed if Jesus only rode one into Jerusalem? The simple answer is that the colt was young and still attached to the mother, and vice versa. They would travel together as a mother and offspring naturally would among many animal species.
Re: How Did Jesus Get Into Jerusalem: On One Or Two Donkeys? by 4Him(m): 6:55pm On Feb 19, 2008
therationa:

I give up. I have seen far better christian apologetical defenses to this than I have seen from you. checkout http://www.apologeticspress.org/articles/595, you might learn a few.

My intention was not to put up a defence but to expose you for your inability to think outside your preconcieved notions of the bible being riddled with confusion and errors.
Re: How Did Jesus Get Into Jerusalem: On One Or Two Donkeys? by bawomolo(m): 8:32pm On Feb 19, 2008

Dont you think such a feat would have warranted special mention? It takes a miracle to ride an ass and a much smaller colt AT THE SAME TIME don't you think?

don't u think there's a possibility such event may not have been recorded. again the passage said jesus sat on both of them. this is just one of the few confusing passages in the bible. y are u guys dodging the contradiction thread??
Re: How Did Jesus Get Into Jerusalem: On One Or Two Donkeys? by 4Him(m): 8:58pm On Feb 19, 2008
bawomolo:

don't u think there's a possibility such event may not have been recorded. again the passage said jesus sat on both of them. this is just one of the few confusing passages in the bible. y are u guys dodging the contradiction thread??

there is no dodging any contradiction. . . it is a matter of making sense. Can you ride two animals of differing sizes AT THE SAME TIME?
This passage isnt confusing except to those who are desperate to read confusion into it . . .

If a horse owner told his wife he rode his hors[b]es[/b] to the market does that mean he rode ALL 50 horses (for example) AT ONCE?

Again we see the deciet and hypocrisy that is the hallmark of athiests like you . . . were did any of the gospels tell you that Jesus "sat on BOTH OF THEM"?
Re: How Did Jesus Get Into Jerusalem: On One Or Two Donkeys? by bawomolo(m): 9:25pm On Feb 19, 2008
there is no dodging any contradiction. . . it is a matter of making sense. Can you ride two animals of differing sizes AT THE SAME TIME?

unlike white jesus, i do not possess such mystical powers so why ask me??

why was jesus sitting on both of them. for fun??

Again we see the deciet and hypocrisy that is the hallmark of athiests like you . . . were did any of the gospels tell you that Jesus "sat on BOTH OF THEM"?

what hypocrisy?? i posted the contradictory thread and u guys are hardly anywhere to be found

(1) (2) (Reply)

Photos Of Praying Mood In Both Islam And Christian Religion.. / Unmasking The Anti-Christ Pastors And Bishops Of The Present Day Church / Why Did Jesus Come???

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.