Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,164 members, 7,953,623 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 08:59 PM

What Is Being Born Again All About? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Is Being Born Again All About? (794 Views)

How Can One Identify A True Born Again Christian? / Divorce Rates Amongst Born-again Christians Compared To Other Groups / Do Catholics Believe in Being Born Again? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is Being Born Again All About? by Jezuspoa: 1:10pm On Dec 26, 2012
I have been thinking about it,over time emphasis is laid on confessing Jesus as lord of your life! What happens after then? I remember some said i would be a new creature but after the prayer i remained the same, what became new then?
Plz xtains only shud contribute to the thread!
Re: What Is Being Born Again All About? by Nobody: 2:11pm On Dec 26, 2012
Jezuspoa: I have been thinking about it,over time emphasis is laid on confessing Jesus as lord of your life! What happens after then? I remember some said i would be a new creature but after the prayer i remained the same, what became new then?
Plz xtains only shud contribute to the thread!

Good afternoon sir,

Being born again simply implies baptism. Or may be it's not that simple. I guess some Christians are still grappling with the 'concept' of born again because some persons have so mystify it that instead of looking at the true meaning of the word 'born again' we tend to look at the attitude and behaviour of people. A born again Christian is one who is convinced that Jesus Christ is Lord and master, have accepted him into his life, and also ready to do what he has commanded him/her to do. After which the individual must be born of water and the holy spirit.

Three elements are involved and they are:

1) One must be born of water
2) One must be baptized in the spirit
3) One must accept Jesus as Lord and Master.

In order to get to (1) and (2) it is very important to be convinced about (3) cause it does not make much sense if one is baptized of water and the spirit without accepting Christ. Hence in the grand scheme of things, the acceptance of Jesus comes first before baptism (both water and the spirit).

This is explained by Jesus himself in the gospel of John:

John3:3-8
3 There was a Jewish leader named Nicodemus, who belonged to the party of the Pharisees. 2 One night he went to Jesus and said to him, “Rabbi, we know that you are a teacher sent by God. No one could perform the miracles you are doing unless God were with him.” 3 Jesus answered, “I am telling you the truth: no one can see the Kingdom of God without being born again.” 4 “How can a grown man be born again?” Nicodemus asked. “He certainly cannot enter his mother's womb and be born a second time!”
5 “I am telling you the truth,” replied Jesus, “that no one can enter the Kingdom of God without being born of water and the Spirit. 6 A person is born physically of human parents, but is born spiritually of the Spirit. 7 Do not be surprised because I tell you that you must all be born again.[b] 8 The wind blows wherever it wishes; you hear the sound it makes, but you do not know where it comes from or where it is going. It is like that with everyone who is born of the Spirit.”

You should realize that before you get baptized of water and the spirit, you need to be favourably disposed. There is no magic involved. The fact that the 'pastor' prayed over you does not imply that you would have this 'special' feeling. What is needed is your disposition and your conviction. Once you are convinced, you would be enthusiastic about living a spirit filled life. It is about knowing what is right and doing what you know is right.

Being renewed has to do with your firm resolution of not going back to a life of sin. If indeed you feel renewed but you do not act it, then it would be self deceit. I have seen a number of persons who got baptized both of water and the spirit, they claim to speak in tongues but their lives are nothing to write home about. When you are born again, it implies that you are a matured Christian cause then you have received the gifts of the spirit. You can be likened to a soldier (soldier for Christ). You are ready to do all for him. Note that doing all for him excludes allowing yourself to be guided by the greed of an individual.

Thank you!
Re: What Is Being Born Again All About? by Image123(m): 6:51pm On Dec 26, 2012
I'm not a Xtain but a Christian. you may try this thread link though.
https://www.nairaland.com/1129662/must-born-again
Re: What Is Being Born Again All About? by Goshen360(m): 11:13pm On Dec 26, 2012
Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which lives and abides forever. - 1 Peter 1:23.

Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. - John 3:5

Simply put, you hear or read/study the word of God. Then the Spirit of God convict you of the world of sin, you turn away from the world of sin unto God, you are baptized by immersion into water, water baptism and baptize with the Holy Spirit. Hence, you are born again! Continue in the word of God and the Spirit of God. It's a beginning of a journey to new life, a life in Christ.
Re: What Is Being Born Again All About? by Jezuspoa: 11:46am On Dec 28, 2012
Goshen360: Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which lives and abides forever. - 1 Peter 1:23.

Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. - John 3:5

Simply put, you hear or read/study the word of God. Then the Spirit of God convict you of the world of sin, you turn away from the world of sin unto God, you are baptized by immersion into water, water baptism and baptize with the Holy Spirit. Hence, you are born again! Continue in the word of God and the Spirit of God. It's a beginning of a journey to new life, a life in Christ.
thanks

(1) (Reply)

God Hates Weeping And Begging / Announcing: Ummaland — The New Social Network Focused On Islamic Education / Why Do New Generation Churches Replace Pews With White Plastic Chairs?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.