Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,577 members, 7,820,076 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:23 AM

Three ATM PIN Codes To Avoid - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Three ATM PIN Codes To Avoid (19175 Views)

Anyone Can Withdraw Money Without Knowing Your ATM PIN / Sort Codes For Nigerian Banks / Zip Codes For Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Three ATM PIN Codes To Avoid by Satama(m): 6:12am On Dec 27, 2012
Nigerian's, please pay serious attention to this. Don't use these three ATM PIN codes
Yahoo! editors have selected this article as a favorite of 2012. It first appeared on Yahoo! Finance in September and was one of the most popular stories of the month. Readers joked about people who use the most common PIN codes, and shared how they came up with their own. "My pin number is my post office box number from my time in the Air Force 30 years ago on a base that no longer exists," wrote user Nick. "Feel free to hack that."

If you lost your ATM card on the street, how easy would it be for someone to correctly guess your PIN and proceed to clean out your savings account? Quite easy, according to data scientist Nick Berry, founder of Data Genetics, a Seattle technology consultancy.

Berry analyzed passwords from previously released and exposed tables and security breaches, filtering the results to just those that were exactly four digits long [0-9]. There are 10,000 possible combinations that the digits 0-9 can be arranged into to form a four-digit code. Berry analyzed those to find which are the least and most predictable. He speculates that, if users select a four-digit password for an online account or other web site, it's not a stretch to use the same number for their four-digit bank PIN codes.

What he found, he says, was a "staggering lack of imagination" when it comes to selecting passwords. Nearly 11% of the 3.4 million four-digit passwords he analyzed were 1234. The second most popular PIN in is 1111 (6% of passwords), followed by 0000 (2%). (Last year SplashData compiled a list of the most common numerical and word-based passwords and found that "password" and "123456" topped the list.)

Berry says a whopping 26.83% of all passwords could be guessed by attempting just 20 combinations of four-digit numbers (see first table). "It's amazing how predictable people are," he says.

We don't like hard-to-remember numbers and "no one thinks their wallet will get stolen," Berry says.

Days, Months, Years

Many of the commonly used passwords are, of course, dates: birthdays, anniversaries, year of birth, etc. Indeed, using a year, starting with 19__, helps people remember their code, but it also increases its predictability, Berry says. His analysis shows that every single 19__ combination be found in the top 20% of the dataset.

"People use years, date of birth — it's a monumentally stupid thing to do because, if you lose your wallet, your driver's license is in there. If someone finds it, they've got the date of birth on there. At least use a parent's date of birth [as a password]," says Berry.
Somewhat intriguing was #22 on the most common password list: 2580. It seems random, but if you look at a telephone keypad (or ATM keypad), you'll see those numbers are straight down the middle — yet another sign that we're uncreative and lazy password makers.

The Least Predictable Password

The least-used PIN is 8068, Berry found, with just 25 occurrences in the 3.4 million set, which equates to 0.000744%. (See the second table for the least popular passwords.) Why this set of numbers? Berry guesses, "It's not a repeating pattern, it's not a birthday, it's not the year Columbus discovered America, it's not 1776." At a certain point, these numbers at the bottom of the list are all kind of "the lowest of the low, they're all noise," he says.

A few other interesting tidbits from Berry:

-The most popular PIN code (1234) is used more than the lowest 4,200 codes combined.
- People have even less imagination in choosing five-digit passwords — 28% use 12345.
- The fourth most popular seven-digit password is 8675309, inspired by the Tommy Tutone song.
-People love using couplets for their PINs: 4545, 1313, etc. And for some reason, they don't like using pairs of numbers that have larger numerical gaps between them. Combinations like 45 and 67 occur much more frequently than 29 and 37.
- The 17th most common 10-digit password is 3141592654 (for those of you who are not math nerds, those are the first digits of Pi).

3 Likes

Re: Three ATM PIN Codes To Avoid by gulfer: 7:09am On Dec 27, 2012
Interesting!
Re: Three ATM PIN Codes To Avoid by Adufaye(m): 7:14am On Dec 27, 2012
2long
Re: Three ATM PIN Codes To Avoid by Caseless: 7:42am On Dec 27, 2012
I use the serial number i saw on my mom's cooking pot which was made in china and bought by my mother in 1985 as my pin....

Feel free to hack that.

5 Likes

Re: Three ATM PIN Codes To Avoid by Caseless: 7:47am On Dec 27, 2012
Adufaye: 2long
poor reading culture, typical of nigerians.

U can jst read the story half-way, it cud help u knw..

7 Likes

Re: Three ATM PIN Codes To Avoid by Caseless: 7:47am On Dec 27, 2012
BluntAF!
Re: Three ATM PIN Codes To Avoid by Lachynos2k2(m): 9:22am On Dec 27, 2012
rushin to change my pin asap

1 Like

Re: Three ATM PIN Codes To Avoid by Iaz93: 9:22am On Dec 27, 2012
Ok...
Re: Three ATM PIN Codes To Avoid by Iaz93: 9:23am On Dec 27, 2012
Lachynos2k2: rushin to change my pin asap
Re: Three ATM PIN Codes To Avoid by Nobody: 9:24am On Dec 27, 2012
Lol, lazy a s s people, their money needs to be stolen.
Re: Three ATM PIN Codes To Avoid by Nobody: 9:24am On Dec 27, 2012
Satama: Nigerian's, please pay serious attention to this. Don't use these three ATM PIN codes
Yahoo! editors have selected this article as a favorite of 2012. It first appeared on Yahoo! Finance in September and was one of the most popular stories of the month. Readers joked about people who use the most common PIN codes, and shared how they came up with their own. "My pin number is my post office box number from my time in the Air Force 30 years ago on a base that no longer exists," wrote user Nick. "Feel free to hack that."

If you lost your ATM card on the street, how easy would it be for someone to correctly guess your PIN and proceed to clean out your savings account? Quite easy, according to data scientist Nick Berry, founder of Data Genetics, a Seattle technology consultancy.

Berry analyzed passwords from previously released and exposed tables and security breaches, filtering the results to just those that were exactly four digits long [0-9]. There are 10,000 possible combinations that the digits 0-9 can be arranged into to form a four-digit code. Berry analyzed those to find which are the least and most predictable. He speculates that, if users select a four-digit password for an online account or other web site, it's not a stretch to use the same number for their four-digit bank PIN codes.

What he found, he says, was a "staggering lack of imagination" when it comes to selecting passwords. Nearly 11% of the 3.4 million four-digit passwords he analyzed were 1234. The second most popular PIN in is 1111 (6% of passwords), followed by 0000 (2%). (Last year SplashData compiled a list of the most common numerical and word-based passwords and found that "password" and "123456" topped the list.)

Berry says a whopping 26.83% of all passwords could be guessed by attempting just 20 combinations of four-digit numbers (see first table). "It's amazing how predictable people are," he says.

We don't like hard-to-remember numbers and "no one thinks their wallet will get stolen," Berry says.

Days, Months, Years

Many of the commonly used passwords are, of course, dates: birthdays, anniversaries, year of birth, etc. Indeed, using a year, starting with 19__, helps people remember their code, but it also increases its predictability, Berry says. His analysis shows that every single 19__ combination be found in the top 20% of the dataset.

"People use years, date of birth — it's a monumentally stupid thing to do because, if you lose your wallet, your driver's license is in there. If someone finds it, they've got the date of birth on there. At least use a parent's date of birth [as a password]," says Berry.
Somewhat intriguing was #22 on the most common password list: 2580. It seems random, but if you look at a telephone keypad (or ATM keypad), you'll see those numbers are straight down the middle — yet another sign that we're uncreative and lazy password makers.

The Least Predictable Password

The least-used PIN is 8068, Berry found, with just 25 occurrences in the 3.4 million set, which equates to 0.000744%. (See the second table for the least popular passwords.) Why this set of numbers? Berry guesses, "It's not a repeating pattern, it's not a birthday, it's not the year Columbus discovered America, it's not 1776." At a certain point, these numbers at the bottom of the list are all kind of "the lowest of the low, they're all noise," he says.

A few other interesting tidbits from Berry:

-The most popular PIN code (1234) is used more than the lowest 4,200 codes combined.
- People have even less imagination in choosing five-digit passwords — 28% use 12345.
- The fourth most popular seven-digit password is 8675309, inspired by the Tommy Tutone song.
-People love using couplets for their PINs: 4545, 1313, etc. And for some reason, they don't like using pairs of numbers that have larger numerical gaps between them. Combinations like 45 and 67 occur much more frequently than 29 and 37.
- The 17th most common 10-digit password is 3141592654 (for those of you who are not math nerds, those are the first digits of Pi).

Hian!!
Re: Three ATM PIN Codes To Avoid by paranorman(m): 9:25am On Dec 27, 2012
Interestin... So d dude collected data,hypothesized,analysed dem data,made inference. What posible methodology/statistical tool could he hav used? Statisticians alone.
Re: Three ATM PIN Codes To Avoid by Slickest(m): 9:27am On Dec 27, 2012
I used d year judas was born...feel free 2 hack dat!
Re: Three ATM PIN Codes To Avoid by rman: 9:28am On Dec 27, 2012
Indepth analysis, interesting article.

1 Like

Re: Three ATM PIN Codes To Avoid by Trut(m): 9:29am On Dec 27, 2012
PortHarcourtBoy:

Hian!!

Must you quote this long story?

7 Likes

Re: Three ATM PIN Codes To Avoid by billionman: 9:30am On Dec 27, 2012
PortHarcourtBoy:

Hian!!

I think you need some psychological analysis to be carried out on you.
Re: Three ATM PIN Codes To Avoid by Gabrielsylar(m): 9:31am On Dec 27, 2012
Lenne give y'all ma pin 5632
Thanks
Re: Three ATM PIN Codes To Avoid by dominique(f): 9:31am On Dec 27, 2012
I don't think anyone in his right mind will use those codes. There was a time I used the birth date of my parents, dem neva born you well to hack into that tongue.
Re: Three ATM PIN Codes To Avoid by PHIPEX(m): 9:31am On Dec 27, 2012
Can't believe my PIN is this predictable... *runs off to the ATM to change PIN* shocked
Re: Three ATM PIN Codes To Avoid by Trut(m): 9:31am On Dec 27, 2012
My ATM code is my girl friend's year of birth. Feel free to hack it cheesy
Re: Three ATM PIN Codes To Avoid by rman: 9:32am On Dec 27, 2012
grin grin grin grin grin
Lachynos2k2: rushin to change my pin asap

A member of the 1234 group.....
Re: Three ATM PIN Codes To Avoid by Nobody: 9:33am On Dec 27, 2012
Pple using 1234,1111 or 0000 should be arrested for aiding and abeting criminals it is simply foolish.jst take ur time to come up with great codes.i have a lot of codes which i write on a piece of paper and keep where only i know cus i nid dem for yahoo mail,gmail,my university online accout,atm,nairaland,facebook,twitter etc.i change my atm pin n any oda pin anytime i feel like it.it may b a little stressful to keep track but i enjoy it.

1 Like

Re: Three ATM PIN Codes To Avoid by Nobody: 9:34am On Dec 27, 2012
Just have your account details at your finger tips. If you loose your card, call customer care to put a hold on your account. That can be achieved on one Minute. Also follow the above step for further security measure. I would also advice for one to change his pin every three months.
Re: Three ATM PIN Codes To Avoid by a1solution: 9:38am On Dec 27, 2012
Change ur ATM pin every month. Its better.
Re: Three ATM PIN Codes To Avoid by Nextworldnx(m): 9:41am On Dec 27, 2012
i smiled reading this... u aint gonna get my pin even if u permutate and combinate from now to infinity Mr. professor. U know why? ....Cos i know how to work my way around with numbers. tongue
Re: Three ATM PIN Codes To Avoid by Nobody: 9:47am On Dec 27, 2012
My pin is a combination of the last two digits of my mum's date of birth and that of my sister's. Feel free to hack that wink

1 Like

Re: Three ATM PIN Codes To Avoid by godstino(m): 9:47am On Dec 27, 2012
My pin is very simple tho not on d list..mine is ****,,,som1 shud plz tell dem to add it to the list of d commonly used passwords.
Re: Three ATM PIN Codes To Avoid by FlyboyZee: 9:49am On Dec 27, 2012
I'm not a sexist, but my guess is 80-90% of people that use easy-to-remember & easily hackable pins are women of which 60-70% are Nigerian women.

No source, no stats, no observation. Just thinking aloud. Mu he he! mu he he!! mu he he!!!
Re: Three ATM PIN Codes To Avoid by Adufaye(m): 9:54am On Dec 27, 2012
caseless: poor reading culture, typical of nigerians.

U can jst read the story half-way, it cud help u knw..
i did,bt it was 2long....mayb bcus am usin a fone
Re: Three ATM PIN Codes To Avoid by knockturnal(m): 9:55am On Dec 27, 2012
PortHarcourtBoy:

Hian!!
Portharcourtidiot!
Re: Three ATM PIN Codes To Avoid by OCcool: 9:56am On Dec 27, 2012
Are u well at all? Did u have 2 quote d whole page just 2 write 'hian'? Nonsense! @portharcourtboy

1 Like

Re: Three ATM PIN Codes To Avoid by Clefcentfelix(m): 9:58am On Dec 27, 2012
paranorman: Interestin... So d dude collected data,hypothesized,analysed dem data,made inference. What posible methodology/statistical tool could he hav used? Statisticians alone.
was also wondering

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Tips And Tricks To Earn On Fiverr As A Nigerian / 7 Figures In One Year: A Nairalander’s Success Tips / Tailoring/sewing Materials

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.