Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,327 members, 7,811,965 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 02:52 AM

What Is So Special About January 1st? - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / What Is So Special About January 1st? (14507 Views)

What Is So Hard About January? / Read About JANUARY, Derivation Of The Word "JANUARY" And The Gregorian Calender / What Is So Special About December? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is So Special About January 1st? by k2039: 4:45pm On Dec 31, 2012
At about 12.00 am later tonight most people will rejoice and congratulate each other, in fact some will create a big feast for the day.

Logically, january 1st is only the first day of a calendar year.
I don't see any spectacular difference between the first day and any other day of a calendar year, except that the former is the first and also a public holiday. Besides it's not the only public holiday in the year.

After the first day of the year, everything remains as it was(politically, environmentally etc), so I don't see the big deal.
I know some will talk about resolutions, but is it reasonable to wait till the end of the year to make a resolution.

IMHO I think new year is overrated, I will love to hear from nairalanders, what's so special about the first day of a year or what's so special about the new year.

19 Likes

Re: What Is So Special About January 1st? by Nobody: 4:49pm On Dec 31, 2012
Our Earth sojourn to mount Revolution
Re: What Is So Special About January 1st? by Mynd44: 5:09pm On Dec 31, 2012
Midnight 1st of January is the most annoying time of the year. Seriously how is it different from all the other days? And yet some over religious people will start running to church so they they as in church at that momment and then got back to what they are doing. I will rather sleep in my house or watch TV

8 Likes

Re: What Is So Special About January 1st? by onila(f): 5:12pm On Dec 31, 2012
i have missed you all smiley

back from a ban smiley

4 Likes

Re: What Is So Special About January 1st? by baibijayyahoo(f): 5:13pm On Dec 31, 2012
k2039, lemme guess diz will make front page! bt trust me u knw d ans to ur qst! u jus feel like posting sumfin: wsnt wrng ws i?

3 Likes

Re: What Is So Special About January 1st? by k2039: 5:18pm On Dec 31, 2012
baibijay@yahoo.:
k2039, lemme guess diz will make front page! bt trust me u knw d ans to ur qst! u jus feel like posting sumfin
[color=soyouquotedme]Trust me, I don't know, after seeing the madness going on all over the world now, I'm confuse, maybe I'm missing something here.
www.nairaland.com/1147242/new-year-2013-
countdown-celebrations
@Onila, welcome sweety, I have not seen some pictures in a while, I should have thought as much that it was a ban,

@Mynd_44 we are on the same page on this.
[/color]
Re: What Is So Special About January 1st? by k2039: 5:29pm On Dec 31, 2012
Mynd_44: Midnight 1st of January is the most annoying time of the year. Seriously how is it different from all the other days? And yet some over religious people will start running to church so they they as in church at that momment and then got back to what they are doing. I will rather sleep in my house or watch TV

[color=soyouquotedme]@bolded, Exactly what I told my friend yesterday. In my words I told her that's my definition of stupidity. [/color]
Re: What Is So Special About January 1st? by Emusan(m): 5:31pm On Dec 31, 2012
Why will i not happy? When this very Earth carried my life rotate and revolved the sun with a lot of heat, harmattan, cold and rains. I need to thank God oooo

4 Likes

Re: What Is So Special About January 1st? by k2039: 5:34pm On Dec 31, 2012
Emusan: Why will i not happy? When this very Earth carried my life rotate and revolved the sun with a lot of heat, harmattan, cold and rains. I need to thank God oooo

[color=soyouquotedme]So you have to wait till the end of the year to thank God.

I don't see the logic. Every single day has contributed to the said year, so why not thank God daily.
[/color]

7 Likes

Re: What Is So Special About January 1st? by Nobody: 5:42pm On Dec 31, 2012
Alcohol and midnight kisses. grin Too bad TableGuy is so far away. My gay kisses would be all over him. kiss
Re: What Is So Special About January 1st? by Mynd44: 6:07pm On Dec 31, 2012
k2039:

[color=soyouquotedme]@bolded, Exactly what I told my friend yesterday. In my words I told her that's my definition of stupidity. [/color]
I call it Hypocrisy at its biggest form

1 Like

Re: What Is So Special About January 1st? by Nobody: 6:40pm On Dec 31, 2012
the day is special cos you're still high from the hangover on the eve sad
Re: What Is So Special About January 1st? by TimePiece(f): 6:56pm On Dec 31, 2012
I was just chatting about this topic a few minutes ago.
My opinion, nothing special!
It's just a change in the calender that people liken to the beginning of a new world. undecided
And down her in my dear country, it becomes an opportunity to dish out another round of drama

3 Likes

Re: What Is So Special About January 1st? by Nobody: 8:08pm On Dec 31, 2012
joeydozzy: the day is special cos you're still high from the hangover on the eve sad

nah thats just you tongue
Re: What Is So Special About January 1st? by azpekuliar: 8:18pm On Dec 31, 2012
onila: i have missed you all smiley

back from a ban smiley

Where you banned for your virginity? grin

4 Likes

Re: What Is So Special About January 1st? by Nobody: 8:23pm On Dec 31, 2012
It's the first day of a new year preceding the last day of a previous year.

1 Like

Re: What Is So Special About January 1st? by trolling(m): 8:23pm On Dec 31, 2012
it's a day dedicated to Janus, a pagan god, and that's where january is derived from

4 Likes

Re: What Is So Special About January 1st? by ask4double(m): 8:25pm On Dec 31, 2012
azpekuliar:

Where you banned for your virginity? grin
ur signature... Pl change it I beg U....pls

5 Likes

Re: What Is So Special About January 1st? by NEROSKY(m): 8:25pm On Dec 31, 2012
whch kind question be dat
Re: What Is So Special About January 1st? by DANILSA(m): 8:27pm On Dec 31, 2012

back from a ban smiley
YOUNG VIRGIN WE MISS YOU SO MUCH, WELCOME BACK. grin grin grin
Re: What Is So Special About January 1st? by billionman: 8:27pm On Dec 31, 2012
Nothing

1 Like

Re: What Is So Special About January 1st? by Goldie20: 8:31pm On Dec 31, 2012
We having a celebration, love to stay Higggggh.. cheesy
Re: What Is So Special About January 1st? by mascot87(m): 8:31pm On Dec 31, 2012
@Poster : Ask ur self What's so special about expecting new things in ur life?
Re: What Is So Special About January 1st? by Osama10(m): 8:32pm On Dec 31, 2012
Nothing special, just the beginning of another day/month.
Re: What Is So Special About January 1st? by sammmiey1: 8:33pm On Dec 31, 2012

back from a ban smiley
wot did u ryt dat got u banned fella?
Re: What Is So Special About January 1st? by Nobody: 8:35pm On Dec 31, 2012
Just another day. Nothing at all special about it.

Thank the ancient Romans for putting the date in spotlight in their celebrating it for their god Janus.

1 Like

Re: What Is So Special About January 1st? by Nobody: 8:39pm On Dec 31, 2012
GEJ will remove subsidy again
Re: What Is So Special About January 1st? by lavita2(f): 8:39pm On Dec 31, 2012
Well, to me January 1st presents a new beginning. A chance to look back and say 'oh, I messed last year and I am going to improve this year'. It presents a renewed strength and vigour to pursue that dream of mine. I look forward to 2013. Have a properous year Fellow Nairalanders. wink

5 Likes

Re: What Is So Special About January 1st? by UyiIredia(m): 8:41pm On Dec 31, 2012
It's special because it means you saw the year through. You weren't a casualty figure that year
Re: What Is So Special About January 1st? by REMMEI(m): 8:41pm On Dec 31, 2012
@OP. . Maybe you should ask yourself this...what's so special about your birthday which i know deep inside of you,you do rejoice when the day comes..what's so special about each month and the days in it?..maybe you will ask again,what's so special about living life?.. In my humble opinion,there's something special about everything,you just have to figure it out yourself..

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE..

10 Likes

Re: What Is So Special About January 1st? by pendusky(m): 8:42pm On Dec 31, 2012

back from a ban smiley
lol,? Hehege... Welcome bk. Hope say d mod did some kinda last hr sweeping...
Re: What Is So Special About January 1st? by ubong560(m): 8:44pm On Dec 31, 2012
Nothing spectacular in particular in the cellular of Jan. 1st. It's just an opportunity to thank the Lord for giving the grace to see another year.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Happy Birthday Oam4j! / Top Events That Rocked Nigeria And Nairaland / Insecure, Narcissistic People More Likely To Post On Facebook – Report

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.