Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,741 members, 7,824,139 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:11 AM

Asian Companies' Exploitations - Its High Time The Goverment Intervened. - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Asian Companies' Exploitations - Its High Time The Goverment Intervened. (862 Views)

Goverment Will Not Take Care Of You If You Dont Yourself / It's High Time We All Dream BIG Again / Average Salary For University Graduate In Goverment Sector (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Asian Companies' Exploitations - Its High Time The Goverment Intervened. by GlorifiedTunde(m): 3:30pm On Jan 02, 2013
Seriously it has become grandly terrible; almost choking one out!

How do you explain a firm earning nothing less than a milli $$ monthly and underpaying the indigenous work force while the expats (occupying managerial and supervisory roles) earn the chunk while contributing less; worst of it is that they ain't intellectually sounder. How can the colour of our own skin be a disadvantage to us in our own LAND?

1 Like

Re: Asian Companies' Exploitations - Its High Time The Goverment Intervened. by Businesstools(m): 7:07pm On Jan 03, 2013
I think the Union is in a better position to address the issue.If you keep waiting for the government,you may wait till Thy Kingdom Come.
Re: Asian Companies' Exploitations - Its High Time The Goverment Intervened. by GlorifiedTunde(m): 7:51am On Jan 04, 2013
Businesstools: I think the Union is in a better position to address the issue.If you keep waiting for the government,you may wait till Thy Kingdom Come.

And What Union Will That Be? Trade/Labour

Those guys are just propagandists.

If the government really cares, it should personally pass and enforce laws to favour indigenous workers. Take for instance, I heard Ghana insisted that Glo makes Ghanians in charge after six months, else they pack their things and leave and it worked out.

I think what we need is a coalition of shortchanged workers and then a massive protest, I do not believe this union dudes anymore sad
Re: Asian Companies' Exploitations - Its High Time The Goverment Intervened. by eledalo: 1:23pm On Jan 04, 2013
while what you say is sometimes true, I find that it's hard to find competent Nigerians to fill managerial roles, so sometimes (larger) companies need to bring in expats. they are paid to do the important job of managing the company operations as well as expat allowances.
So while you think they just lounge around looking 'expaty' any gbese is on their head. Inability to meet production or business development targets set by owners results in sack and visa wahala.
Besides that do you think people get to managerial position so they can be paid peanuts?
Re: Asian Companies' Exploitations - Its High Time The Goverment Intervened. by GlorifiedTunde(m): 4:03pm On Jan 04, 2013
eledalo: while what you say is sometimes true, I find that it's hard to find competent Nigerians to fill managerial roles, so sometimes (larger) companies need to bring in expats. they are paid to do the important job of managing the company operations as well as expat allowances.
So while you think they just lounge around looking 'expaty' any gbese is on their head. Inability to meet production or business development targets set by owners results in sack and visa wahala.
Besides that do you think people get to managerial position so they can be paid peanuts?

I don't agree with you. For instance where I am, the expats thrive on our own skills and information; gather it and make it look like they did the job. In the first instance, they're scared most time of employing experts because they want to be able to suppress indigenous workers. Our guys are very very good, smart and proactive...but they won't let it show. They cut you off when they think you're posing threat cos u know too much. Are you telling me in a company of about 250 staffs there cannot be a singe impressive Nigerian? I don't think so ...
Re: Asian Companies' Exploitations - Its High Time The Goverment Intervened. by Nobody: 4:06pm On Jan 04, 2013
Glorified_Tunde:

I don't agree with you. For instance where I am, the expats thrive on our own skills and information; gather it and make it look like they did the job. In the first instance, they're scared most time of employing experts because they want to be able to suppress indigenous workers. Our guys are very very good, smart and proactive...but they won't let it show. They cut you off when they think you're posing threat cos u know too much. Are you telling me in a company of about 250 staffs there cannot be a singe impressive Nigerian? I don't think so ...

[size=15pt]On point[/size]
Re: Asian Companies' Exploitations - Its High Time The Goverment Intervened. by Nobody: 10:42pm On Jan 04, 2013
Well.....we all need to look inward. Definitely, we have well qualify Nigerians that can work at the management level or technical level in all fields. But, the question is, those few Nigerian at the top dont allow or want other Nigerians to be employed or rise to those levels. Instead, they prefer to have a white person at the position.
I have more than 3 examples of these and the last one happened to a friend of mine last year. He was recruited from a company in Europe to come and work in Naija and take over from a white person. The niaja HR guy paid him half of what they are paying the white guy with less benefit (that half is still a lot of money). Even when the white man complained about these, the HR lady just told him that Nigerian are treated differently compare to a white guy. Racism in ur own country or might be the HR lady just dey beef the guy cos she thought the money is too much for the guy.
So, let look inward too. The fact is not always the Asia or the White man fault but it comes down to the way we Naija treat our self sometimes
Re: Asian Companies' Exploitations - Its High Time The Goverment Intervened. by GlorifiedTunde(m): 9:15am On Jan 05, 2013
alutaa: Well.....we all need to look inward. Definitely, we have well qualify Nigerians that can work at the management level or technical level in all fields. But, the question is, those few Nigerian at the top dont allow or want other Nigerians to be employed or rise to those levels. Instead, they prefer to have a white person at the position.
I have more than 3 examples of these and the last one happened to a friend of mine last year. He was recruited from a company in Europe to come and work in Naija and take over from a white person. The niaja HR guy paid him half of what they are paying the white guy with less benefit (that half is still a lot of money). Even when the white man complained about these, the HR lady just told him that Nigerian are treated differently compare to a white guy. Racism in ur own country or might be the HR lady just dey beef the guy cos she thought the money is too much for the guy.
So, let look inward too. The fact is not always the Asia or the White man fault but it comes down to the way we Naija treat our self sometimes

VERY TRUE! And that's what they keep using against us...our own HR. Its like they pay them to suppress other indigenous workers. If campaigns can be made against this, at least if we have Nigerians in the board and management role, it will be reduced.
Re: Asian Companies' Exploitations - Its High Time The Goverment Intervened. by Nobody: 11:46am On Jan 05, 2013
I wish this topic can be put on the front page by the moderator......

Just sad that we Nigerians are the architect of this unjust situation.

Frankly, have you ever see an expatriate that want to go back to his country after spending time in Nigeria? They made X3 of their salary, live in service apartment in Ikoyi, official car with driver etc etc. Why will they want to go back to their country.

Does it mean that we dont have Nigerian qualify to do the job?

Also, the few Nigerian at the management levels doesnt want other Nigerian to rise to that position. or what will you say to this situation where at the director level at a company in Nigeria, there was 5 white guy and 2 nigerians. At the end of the year when it was time to give out bonus, the white guy suggested that all the factory people should be given a salary raise. The Nigerians at the board objected saying that by giving the low income earner a raise, they will not be diligent again and they will be expecting the company to do the same next year. They told other white guy that its a naija thing and advised the board against giving the low income earner a raise.

What do you say to that. A nigerian manager objecting to giving low income factory workers that are nigerian like him a raise. Do you expect those white guy to respect us again?

2 Likes

Re: Asian Companies' Exploitations - Its High Time The Goverment Intervened. by zoedicus: 1:36pm On Jan 05, 2013
uhm, i'm so sorry to say this o. Get me the job first and then i will worry latter about underpayment.
The words of a jobless man.!
Re: Asian Companies' Exploitations - Its High Time The Goverment Intervened. by GlorifiedTunde(m): 4:44pm On Jan 05, 2013
zoedicus: uhm, i'm so sorry to say this o. Get me the job first and then i will worry latter about underpayment.
The words of a jobless man.!

Eeeya, God will do it my brother smiley
Re: Asian Companies' Exploitations - Its High Time The Goverment Intervened. by GlorifiedTunde(m): 4:47pm On Jan 05, 2013
alutaa: I wish this topic can be put on the front page by the moderator......

Just sad that we Nigerians are the architect of this unjust situation.

Frankly, have you ever see an expatriate that want to go back to his country after spending time in Nigeria? They made X3 of their salary, live in service apartment in Ikoyi, official car with driver etc etc. Why will they want to go back to their country.

Also, the few Nigerian at the management levels doesnt want other Nigerian to rise to that position. or what will you say to this situation where at the director level at a company in Nigeria, there was 5 white guy and 2 nigerians. At the end of the year when it was time to give out bonus, the white guy suggested that all the factory people should be given a salary raise. The Nigerians at the board objected saying that by giving the low income earner a raise, they will not be diligent again and they will be expecting the company to do the same next year. They told other white guy that its a naija thing and advised the board against giving the low income earner a raise.

What do you say to that. A nigerian manager objecting to giving low income factory workers that are nigerian like him a raise. Do you expect those white guy to respect us again?

That's why policies should come directly from the government; so we do not depend on any manager to favour us. When there are policies about how such companies are managed, staff remuneration etc, issues will be resolved. I personally believe such companies should have their incomes accessed and books audited...nothing bad if they give their workers a raise or bonuses; they actually make a lot of money. We NEED TO VANGUARD A PROTEST.

It has never been done, the government might just listen undecided
Re: Asian Companies' Exploitations - Its High Time The Goverment Intervened. by Deceptionlove: 2:52pm On Oct 24, 2020
I wish this topic can be put on the front page by the moderator......

It's just sad that we Nigerians are the architect of this unjust situation.

(1) (Reply)

Fake ASUU Twitter Handle!!! / Promotion Dilemma / Salaries Of Parastatals For Level 8

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.