Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,847 members, 7,810,260 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:23 AM

Amitabh Bachchan.... Bollywood Icon - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Amitabh Bachchan.... Bollywood Icon (2702 Views)

Million Dollar Memory:Amitabh & Dharmendra Recreate Sholay Scenes 40 Years After / Everything Bollywood / Bollywood Hot Babes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Amitabh Bachchan.... Bollywood Icon by BeingAkorede(m): 10:14pm On Jan 03, 2013
Born Amitabh Harivansh Bachchan on 11 October 1942 an Indian film actor. He first gained popularity in the early 1970s as the "angry young man" of Hindi cinema, and has since appeared in over 180 Indian films in a career spanning more than four decades. Bachchan is widely regarded as one of the greatest and most influential actors in the history of Indian cinema. So total was his dominance of the movie scene in the 1970s and 1980s that the late French director Francois Truffaut called him a "one-man industry”.

Bachchan go on to become the second and last superstar of Bollywood. No actor has seen the superstardom which was enjoyed by Rajesh Khanna and Bachchan.

Amitabh Bachchan has won numerous major awards in his career, including three National Film Awards as Best Actor - a record he shares with Kamal Haasan and Mammootty - and fourteen Filmfare Awards. He is the most-nominated performer in any major acting category at Filmfare, with 37 nominations overall.

In addition to acting, Bachchan has worked as a playback singer, film producer and television presenter. He also had a stint in politics in the 1980s.

However, he has received both the Padma Shri and the Padma Bhushan civilian awards from the Indian government.

Re: Amitabh Bachchan.... Bollywood Icon by AbdulAdam56(m): 11:22pm On Jan 03, 2013
This guy is a legend.
Re: Amitabh Bachchan.... Bollywood Icon by BeingAkorede(m): 11:45pm On Jan 03, 2013
Abdul Adam56: This guy is a legend.

Do you really know Amitabh Bachachan?
Re: Amitabh Bachchan.... Bollywood Icon by BeingAkorede(m): 3:44pm On Jan 04, 2013
Furthermore, Mr Amitabh (a.k.a Senior Bachchan, Big B) was born in Allahabad,Uttar Pradesh, in north central India. His father, Harivansh Rai Bachchan, was a Hindi poet and his mother,Teji Bachchan, was a Sikh from Faisalabad (now in Pakistan).
Bachchan was initially named Inquilaab, inspired from the phrase made famous during the
Indian independence struggle, Inquilab Zindabad, which means "long live revolution". However, at the suggestion of fellow poet Sumitranandan Pant, Harivansh Rai changed the name to Amitabh which means, "the light that would never go off." Though his
surname was Shrivastava, his father had adopted the pen-name Bachchan (meaning "child-like" in colloquial Hindi), under which he published all his works.

It is with this last name that Amitabh debuted in films, and, for all public purposes, it has become the surname of all members of his family. Bachchan's father died in 2003 and his mother in 2007.

Amitabh Bachchan is married to actress Jaya Bhaduri. They have two children, Shweta Nanda and Abhishek Bachchan. Abhishek is also an actor and is married to actress Aishwarya Rai.
Re: Amitabh Bachchan.... Bollywood Icon by ferhyntorlah(f): 4:00pm On Jan 04, 2013
BeingAkorede:

Do you really know Amitabh Bachachan?

Every ardent watcher of Indian movies must surely know "Amtab". He is the father of Bollywood. Remember the film: Ammar Akbar Anthony?

He is a legend!

1 Like

Re: Amitabh Bachchan.... Bollywood Icon by BeingAkorede(m): 6:10pm On Jan 04, 2013
ferhyntorlah:

Every ardent watcher of Indian movies must surely know "Amtab". He is the father of Bollywood. Remember the film: Ammar Akbar Anthony?

He is a legend!

ya, exactly.... Apart from being an actor, he is truely a great man.
Re: Amitabh Bachchan.... Bollywood Icon by BeingAkorede(m): 8:34pm On Jan 11, 2013
Below is an excerpt from his Facebook fan page

Amitabh Bachchan
FB 84 - The University of Mumbai decorates me with another citation .. does a survey and voting for most iconic figure .. and with 99.5 % they inputs they decorate me ... most humbled and gracious .. a lovely evening with the learned in the field of education ..32 minutes ago · · 3,666 · Like · 367 Comments ·
Re: Amitabh Bachchan.... Bollywood Icon by BeingAkorede(m): 3:33pm On Mar 11, 2013
Television career

In 2000, Bachchan hosted India's adaptation of the British television game show, Who Wants to Be
a Millionaire? entitled, Kaun Banega Crorepati. As it did in most other countries where it was adopted, the program found immediate success. He has hosted all but one of the seasons of the show.
Bachchan hosted KBC till November 2005, when he fell ill. At that time he was admitted to Lilavati Hospital's ICU once more, to undergo surgery for diverticulitis of the small intestine.
Voice
Bachchan is known for his deep,
baritone voice. He has been a narrator, a playback singer, and presenter for numerous programmes.

Renowned film director Satyajit Ray was so impressed with Bachchan's voice that he decided to use Bachchan as the narrator in his 1977 Shatranj Ke Khilari (The Chess Players).
In 2005, Bachchan lent his voice to the Oscar-winning French documentary March of the Penguins, directed by Luc Jacquet.
Re: Amitabh Bachchan.... Bollywood Icon by naffysa(f): 5:18pm On Mar 11, 2013
A great actor

1 Like

Re: Amitabh Bachchan.... Bollywood Icon by jessshiny(f): 11:39am On Mar 13, 2013
ya amitabh is a great guy,,good actor,,especialy his movie mard nd kabhi kishi kabi gham,,nd many others,and his son abishek nd d wife aishiwarya rai re great actors too,keep it up guys.

1 Like

Re: Amitabh Bachchan.... Bollywood Icon by BeingAkorede(m): 10:36pm On Mar 13, 2013
excerpted from his fb page right now

FB 146 - Fooling around before the shoot with ShahRukh ..

Re: Amitabh Bachchan.... Bollywood Icon by BeingAkorede(m): 9:21pm On Jun 03, 2013
Amitabh Bachchan

FB 228 -Before all else ... may I just thank all those that have
wished Jaya and me for our anniversary - the 40th ! It has been an overwhelming gesture of goodwill and love, and both Jaya and I wish to thank you all from the bottom of our hearts for it .. we cherish all that you do for us, and shall forever be grateful for it ... thank you ..

2 minutes ago
Re: Amitabh Bachchan.... Bollywood Icon by Lucasbalo(m): 6:27am On Jun 04, 2013
He is a legend. I grew up watching his movies at corona cinema.

1 Like

Re: Amitabh Bachchan.... Bollywood Icon by BeingAkorede(m): 9:21pm On Aug 17, 2013
Amitabh Bachchan

FB 304 -A well wisher turns 100 years today 18th August .. but ...she suffers from Alzheimers, and the only name she remembers is mine ..her family wanted me to do a video wish for her .. I did ..it has been most satisfying to receive her response ... here it is :

"Subject: RE: My grandma turns 100 Words cannot express our gratitude to you mr bachchan The smile on my grandmas face is truly a priceless one. Your words brought magic to her eyes Which no one of us could do, no matter our family ties. Such is your impact on her life We thank you as a family and wish you every success in whatever your strive. Thank you once again. "
Re: Amitabh Bachchan.... Bollywood Icon by BeingAkorede(m): 2:28pm On Sep 12, 2013
Bollywood legend Amitabh Bachchan was the guest of honour at a reception hosted by British Prime Minister David Cameron's wife, Samantha Cameron at their official residence for a charity initiative for diabetes.

The reception, held behind the famous black door of 10, Downing Street which has been home to the British Prime Ministers forover 275 years, was to mark the sixth anniversary of the Leicester-based charity 'Silver Star'.

When Amitabh Bachchan met British PM David Cameron and his wife

(1) (Reply)

2013 Deadly Prophecies By 3 Men Of God For Celebrities / Jermiah Gyang: I Am An Android Enthusiast / Wizkid Insults Blogger On Twitter, Calls Him A Brat

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.