Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,774 members, 7,810,006 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:38 PM

Please Help: Intraocular Pressure Too High - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Please Help: Intraocular Pressure Too High (1516 Views)

Energy Drinks Cause High Blood Pressure, Doctor Warns / Natural Ways Of Reducing High Blood Pressure. / My Cholesterol Levels Are Too High: I Need Help (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please Help: Intraocular Pressure Too High by obynook: 11:10pm On Jan 07, 2013
Am really disturbed here! am still imagining how I will spend my next 6 months!!!

Ok, this is my story:

I decided to run teeth and eye check ups today to ensure am fit for work ahead this year (this is my first time of running teeth and eye checks).

Went to the dental clinic, the doctor quickly checked my teeth and told me i have no issue but recommended I go for cleaning. I happily took my card and folder for cleaning. Immediately the student nurse finished cleaning and advising me on the best way to take care of my teeth, I rushed to the eye clinic.

The doctor started checking my eyes after he asked some questions for vital signs. I told him I just came for checkup that am not experiencing any issue.

After he tested my right eye for its pressure, I noticed a depressed look on his face. He tested the left twice and retested the right too.

He looked up and told me my eye pressure is high. The pressure in both eyes is 22 and the normal range is 10 - 21 mmHg. He also mentioned that the 'back of my eye is somehow' (quoting him verbatim). He also said that I am a glaucoma suspect!!!!!! He booked me for an appointment in 6 months to follow up on the pressure and declined giving me any medication.

Am seriously worried, having high eye pressure at 26!!!!

Please doctors, medical practitioners, other experienced pals, is there anything i can do to reduce this pressure without medication? Am disturbed!

A brief history about self to assit:

Profession: Programmer
Lifestyle: Drink Occasionally, do not smoke.
Previous eye issue: None, except one a playmate hit me with a mango seed some 13 years ago which gave me a red eye which cleared days after.
Blood Pressure (was tested in the hospital today): 115/75
Family history: Dad and mum uses glasses for long and short sight. No other eye condition. Grandparents (paternal) use glases, maternal doesnt. None of my aunties and uncles has glaucoma.

Will be glad if this makes frontpage for maximum attention. Thanks
Re: Please Help: Intraocular Pressure Too High by obynook: 9:12am On Jan 08, 2013
No response cry
Re: Please Help: Intraocular Pressure Too High by abmoslincoln: 3:50pm On Jan 09, 2013
Anything that slows or blocks the flow of this fluid out of the eye will cause pressure to build up in the eye. This pressure is called intraocular pressure (IOP). In most cases of glaucoma, this pressure is high and causes damage to the optic nerve.
Open-angle (chronic) glaucoma is the most common type of glaucoma.
The cause is unknown. An increase in eye pressure occurs slowly over time. The pressure pushes on the optic nerve.
Open-angle glaucoma tends to run in families. Your risk is higher if you have a parent or grandparent with open-angle glaucoma. People of African descent are at particularly high risk for this disease.
Angle-closure (acute) glaucoma occurs when the exit of the aqueous humor fluid is suddenly blocked. This causes a quick, severe, and painful rise in the pressure in the eye.
Angle-closure glaucoma is an emergency. This is very different from open-angle glaucoma, which painlessly and slowly damages vision.
If you have had acute glaucoma in one eye, you are at risk for an attack in the second eye, and your doctor is likely to recommend preventive treatment.
Dilating eye drops and certain medications may trigger an acute glaucoma attack.
Congenital glaucoma is seen in babies. It often runs in families (is inherite

It is caused by abnormal eye development.
Secondary glaucoma is caused by:

Drugs such as corticosteroids
Eye diseases such as uveitis
Systemic diseases
Trauma
Re: Please Help: Intraocular Pressure Too High by abmoslincoln: 3:53pm On Jan 09, 2013
The goal of treatment is to reduce eye pressure. Treatment depends on the type of glaucoma that you have.
If you have open-angle glaucoma, you will probably be given eye drops. You may need more than one type. Most people can be treated successfully with eye drops. Most of the eye drops used today have fewer side effects than those used in the past. You may also be given pills to lower pressure in the eye.
Other treatments may involve:
Laser therapy called an iridotomy
Eye surgery if other treatments do not work
Acute angle-closure attack is a medical emergency. Blindness will occur in a few days if it is not treated. If you have angle-closure glaucoma, you will receive:
Eye drops
Medicines to lower eye pressure, given by mouth and through a vein (by IV)
Some people also need an emergency operation, called an iridotomy. This procedure uses a laser to open a new pathway in the colored part of the eye. This relieves pressure and prevents another attack.
Congenital glaucoma is almost always treated with surgery. This is done using general anesthesia. This means the patient is asleep and feels no pain.
If you have secondary glaucoma, treatment of the underlying disease may help your symptoms go away. Other treatments may be needed.
Re: Please Help: Intraocular Pressure Too High by obynook: 6:49am On Jan 10, 2013
@abmoslincoln, Thanks. I really wish one can tell me any natural eye pressure reduction technique.

(1) (Reply)

Is There A Cure For Hearing Problem Associate With Ringing / These Are The Dangers Of Eating Late At Night / Do Not Use If Pregnant Or Breastfeeding,

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.