Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,380 members, 7,822,787 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 04:53 PM

Interesting Ballon D'or Analysis - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Interesting Ballon D'or Analysis (543 Views)

FIFA Ballon D'or 2014 Awards On 12th January 2014 / 2013 FIFA Ballon D'or On Monday, 13th January 2014 / Messi, Ribery & Ronaldo On 23-man Ballon D'or Shortlist (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Interesting Ballon D'or Analysis by Nobody: 6:22pm On Jan 08, 2013
This Ballon D'Or stuff is quite puzzling to me.
Now I'm not trying to degrade Messi's achievment, but the logic that is given for his successive wins is very confusing.
In 2010, Wesley Sneijder led his team to Serie A title, Champions League win, and World Cup Final, but Messi won the award for 'outstanding play and service to his team.'
Last year, when Ronaldo broke all the La Liga records for goals, and scoring against every team, Messi won again because Barcelona won La Liga, and 'individual records don't matter'.
This year, Ronaldo leads him team to a La Liga title, and takes Portugal to the semi's at the Euro's, yet Messi wins because of his individual record for calendar goals in a year.
Now I'm not saying Messi is undeserving of the award, but if the logic and critera is going to change every year for what makes a season exceptional, why does anyone bother to show up?
~ Amata

NB: I have included only one of the names of the OP to prevent some fraudulent nairalanders from spamming his fb page.

1 Like

Re: Interesting Ballon D'or Analysis by sholatech(m): 6:56pm On Jan 08, 2013
All these are individual opinion. The organisers have been transparent enough to show how EVERYONE Voted. That is factual than all these subjective analysis
Re: Interesting Ballon D'or Analysis by montelik(m): 7:16pm On Jan 08, 2013
Hence why I wish the Ballon D'Or was separated from the WPOTY. The unification of all the awards is what has highlighted this discrepancy. In previous years the same problems you identified have always existed, particularly WPOTY which is open to politics, campaigning and has become more of a popularity contest. But the presence of multiple awards in earlier years using different criteria meant it was less annoying and there was greater room for recognition.
Re: Interesting Ballon D'or Analysis by babyboy3(m): 7:53pm On Jan 08, 2013
careytommy: This Ballon D'Or stuff is quite puzzling to me.
Now I'm not trying to degrade Messi's achievment, but the logic that is given for his successive wins is very confusing.
In 2010, Wesley Sneijder led his team to Serie A title, Champions League win, and World Cup Final, but Messi won the award for 'outstanding play and service to his team.'
Last year, when Ronaldo broke all the La Liga records for goals, and scoring against every team, Messi won again because Barcelona won La Liga, and 'individual records don't matter'.
This year, Ronaldo leads him team to a La Liga title, and takes Portugal to the semi's at the Euro's, yet Messi wins because of his individual record for calendar goals in a year.
Now I'm not saying Messi is undeserving of the award, but if the logic and critera is going to change every year for what makes a season exceptional, why does anyone bother to show up?
~ Amata

NB: I have included only one of the names of the OP to prevent some fraudulent nairalanders from spamming his fb page.

It was Messi that broke Gerd Mullers goal scoring record not Ronaldo

In 2010 Wesley Sneijder wasnt the Inter Milan captain, Gabby Milito scored so many goals

At WC 2010 Diego Forlan was player of the tournament

(1) (Reply)

Results - EPL, La Liga, Serie A, And Bundesliga / I'll Quit,if No Trophies-mourinho / Why Shinji Kagawa May Never Fit Into Moyes' Plans

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.