Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,355 members, 7,957,955 topics. Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2024 at 05:40 AM

Fire Razes Alaafin Of Oyo’s Palace - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Fire Razes Alaafin Of Oyo’s Palace (991 Views)

Wives Of Alaafin Of Oyo Take A Selfie Together / Adeyeye Ogunwusi Visits Alaafin Of Oyo / Alaafin Of Oyo Celebrates His 77th Birthday With Youngest Wife (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fire Razes Alaafin Of Oyo’s Palace by thirdeye(m): 5:31pm On Jan 09, 2013
The palace of the Alaafin of Oyo, Oba Lamidi Adeyemi has been gutted by fire. The inferno razed down about 21 rooms of the ancient palace.

According to the Media Assistant of the monarch, Alhaji Azeez Fehintola, the fire started around 6am Wednesday and razed uncontrollably before the arrival of fire fighters one hour later.

"Immediately I got here and saw the extent of the damage done to the palace by this early morning conflagration, I could not but break down into tears."

The fire, which broke out from electrical surge, started around 6 a.m and was contained after about three hours.

“The fire-fighters came at some minutes past seven and battled it till it was finally put out. Every part of the affected apartments were completely razed.

It was a really sad day for the ayabas because many of their property were destroyed. They keep their monies in the palace, Plasma television, jewellery, clothes, bags and many other valuables yet to be ascertained”, he said.

Mostly affected parts are the flats of Princess Folasade (Iyaa Meta), Princess Rukayat, and Princess Abibat.

It was gathered that some undisclosed amount of money was burnt.

Besides, some rooms known as Ile Ori, Ile Ifa where artifacts are stored, plasma television, clothes, shoes, jewellery and bags were destroyed by the raging fire.

Though no life was lost nor anyone injured, queens wore forlorn looks.

The monarch did not grant any interview as he was not in the mood to entertain any questions.

http://www.naijapundit.com/news/fire-razes-alaafin-of-oyo-s-palace
Re: Fire Razes Alaafin Of Oyo’s Palace by PAGAN9JA(m): 5:46pm On Jan 09, 2013
WOW OMGS! THIS IS SAD! cry
Re: Fire Razes Alaafin Of Oyo’s Palace by ifyalways(f): 9:44pm On Jan 09, 2013
Sad news.
Btw, what is Ayaba?
Re: Fire Razes Alaafin Of Oyo’s Palace by birdman(m): 3:44am On Jan 10, 2013
Id think artifacts would be better kept undecided. Btw Ayaba would mean queens, or wives of the king
Re: Fire Razes Alaafin Of Oyo’s Palace by ifyalways(f): 12:41pm On Jan 10, 2013
^ really? Thanks.

Is that the general Yoruba word/term or is it like an Ogbomosho dialect?
Re: Fire Razes Alaafin Of Oyo’s Palace by birdman(m): 3:16am On Jan 11, 2013
ifyalways: ^ really? Thanks.

Is that the general Yoruba word/term or is it like an Ogbomosho dialect?

Ayaba would be a merging of Aya Oba, so I doubt its specific to any one dialect - I am not from Oyo and we still use the term. I'm sure some Yoruba language warrior can clear that up definitively cheesy

(1) (Reply)

What Migration Has Caused These Nigerians In Canada / Checkout This Picture Of Ancient Northern Nigeria / Pictorial Tour Of Ibo Land (check Out This Lovely Places )

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.