Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,702 members, 7,809,667 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:48 PM

Veteran Sports Journalist Deacon Ayo Ositelu Dead? - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Veteran Sports Journalist Deacon Ayo Ositelu Dead? (10067 Views)

Sports Journalist Felix Okugbe Is Dead - Naij.com / See The Moment A BBC Journalist Begged Enyeama Before He Left The Camp..photo / Godwin Spiff Sagbama Is Dead - Veteran Sports Journalist (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Veteran Sports Journalist Deacon Ayo Ositelu Dead? by Maxymilliano(m): 8:52am On Jan 10, 2013
I just got this on the facebook wall of Kayode Tijani 1 hour ago via Twitter ·

I can confirm now that Deacon AYO OSITELU is indeed DEAD! Spoke to his Wife. He was watching TV with her and next he was dead. Am in SHOCK!

https://m.facebook.com/1037846471/timeline/story
Re: Veteran Sports Journalist Deacon Ayo Ositelu Dead? by semid4lyfe(m): 9:00am On Jan 10, 2013
He also confirmed it on twitter

Re: Veteran Sports Journalist Deacon Ayo Ositelu Dead? by aloyzin: 9:04am On Jan 10, 2013
R.I.P If this true
Re: Veteran Sports Journalist Deacon Ayo Ositelu Dead? by ojoko1(m): 9:04am On Jan 10, 2013
RIP to him...
Re: Veteran Sports Journalist Deacon Ayo Ositelu Dead? by mikkyangel(m): 9:10am On Jan 10, 2013
RIP
Re: Veteran Sports Journalist Deacon Ayo Ositelu Dead? by Apesin001: 9:11am On Jan 10, 2013
R.I.P. to the Dead
Re: Veteran Sports Journalist Deacon Ayo Ositelu Dead? by yoged(m): 9:17am On Jan 10, 2013
R I P. Remembering his nice sport programme on eko fm between 7:15am to 7:30am back dem. I don't miss it even if am gonna late for sch.
Re: Veteran Sports Journalist Deacon Ayo Ositelu Dead? by Nobody: 9:18am On Jan 10, 2013
any time i see any headline on NL that starts with 'veteran....' i know it about nothing else but death!

1 Like

Re: Veteran Sports Journalist Deacon Ayo Ositelu Dead? by Maxymilliano(m): 9:19am On Jan 10, 2013
He was a journalist of almost 40 years standing. Formerly Group Sports Editor of The Punch newspaper, he rose up to become Editor of Sunday Punch and left the Punch stable in 1987 to venture into private publishing business.

He wrote columns for many newspapers including Concord and The Guardian and has celebrated many years of uninterrupted column writing.

He was at a point member of the Editorial Board of The Guardian Newspaper and the first Nigerian print journalist to receive the National Sports Merit Award and was also appointed as the Executive Secretary of Ejigbo Local Government Area by Tinubu in 2004.
Re: Veteran Sports Journalist Deacon Ayo Ositelu Dead? by honeric01(m): 9:28am On Jan 10, 2013
Eeya, i use to enjoy this man's football analyses on match days.

RIP sir.
Re: Veteran Sports Journalist Deacon Ayo Ositelu Dead? by tessyade: 9:28am On Jan 10, 2013
One of the few sports journalist/analyst i knew from childhood. May his soul rest in perfect peace.
Re: Veteran Sports Journalist Deacon Ayo Ositelu Dead? by feminineA: 9:46am On Jan 10, 2013
R.I.P
Re: Veteran Sports Journalist Deacon Ayo Ositelu Dead? by omenziate(m): 9:53am On Jan 10, 2013
R.I. P
Re: Veteran Sports Journalist Deacon Ayo Ositelu Dead? by otokx(m): 9:58am On Jan 10, 2013
one of those things
Re: Veteran Sports Journalist Deacon Ayo Ositelu Dead? by ypzilanti: 10:05am On Jan 10, 2013
RIP. Seemed like a nice man, and I enjoyed reading his write ups. A pretty good writer, unlike most so-called journalists we have now. None of us is meant to be here forever, thank God for his life, and that he made an impact in his profession. I hope he had such impact in his personal life too.
Re: Veteran Sports Journalist Deacon Ayo Ositelu Dead? by ichommy(m): 10:28am On Jan 10, 2013
R I P
Re: Veteran Sports Journalist Deacon Ayo Ositelu Dead? by Reference(m): 11:03am On Jan 10, 2013
vault & gardens:
For further enquiries and Prices of our Vaults Contact:

VAULTS AND GARDENS LTD(PRIVATE CEMETERY)
Federal Radio Corporation of Nigeria (FRCN) Close,
Off Federal Secretariat road, Ikoyi, Lagos.
08099930509ns
joseph@vaultsandgardens.com
www.vaultsandgardens.com

This is not nice.
Re: Veteran Sports Journalist Deacon Ayo Ositelu Dead? by Reference(m): 11:08am On Jan 10, 2013
Used to watch him back then on match day when the Eagles were super, before DSTV turned sportscasting on its head.

Very gentle and knowledgeable. Great guy. Fortitude to his family and friends. Another big loss.
Re: Veteran Sports Journalist Deacon Ayo Ositelu Dead? by Limaoscar: 11:31am On Jan 10, 2013
This is not nice.
Not Nice is probably too mild. Most despicable thing in print ever in 2013.
This is why i now believe that most of us Nigerians have lost values for life and perhaps this also informs all the heart-less decapitation,Rapes, assasinations,Money launderings looting, back-stabbing etc going on in that Country.

1 Like

Re: Veteran Sports Journalist Deacon Ayo Ositelu Dead? by deluckiest(m): 11:32am On Jan 10, 2013
R.I.P Deacon Ositelu
Re: Veteran Sports Journalist Deacon Ayo Ositelu Dead? by gistme24(m): 11:41am On Jan 10, 2013
i always made sure i read his lawn tennis column in the guardian newspaper. he knew and loved his tennis. may his soul find eternal peace .
Re: Veteran Sports Journalist Deacon Ayo Ositelu Dead? by tomzman: 12:12pm On Jan 10, 2013
R.I.P
Re: Veteran Sports Journalist Deacon Ayo Ositelu Dead? by brixton: 12:14pm On Jan 10, 2013
RIP Sir, his son was my senior in ISL
Re: Veteran Sports Journalist Deacon Ayo Ositelu Dead? by ghettodreamz(m): 12:24pm On Jan 10, 2013
Bintin Laye

Ki Oba edumare ba wa te eni to koja lo si afefe ire ooo, amin.

cry cry cry cry cry cry cry
Re: Veteran Sports Journalist Deacon Ayo Ositelu Dead? by oyestephen(m): 12:42pm On Jan 10, 2013
R.I.P sir.....I sincerely hope, you would be resting in the bosom of Abraham by now...
Re: Veteran Sports Journalist Deacon Ayo Ositelu Dead? by Nobody: 12:43pm On Jan 10, 2013
Can't believe it. Didn't look like one to die so soon. No be few days ago I read him last in Guardian? shocked
Re: Veteran Sports Journalist Deacon Ayo Ositelu Dead? by scopusng(m): 12:48pm On Jan 10, 2013
Rest in peace. Was he watching Nigeria vs Cape verde march that was useless? I knew it that match could kill somebody.
Re: Veteran Sports Journalist Deacon Ayo Ositelu Dead? by ukpaku: 2:02pm On Jan 10, 2013
it serve him wright
Re: Veteran Sports Journalist Deacon Ayo Ositelu Dead? by A40(m): 2:30pm On Jan 10, 2013
I actually know his son personally. Dude must be gutted! Really really sad news mehn! Sun re Baba
Re: Veteran Sports Journalist Deacon Ayo Ositelu Dead? by MAYOWAAK: 4:59pm On Jan 10, 2013
He is one of the very few erudite sports journalists produced in Nigeria. I grew up watching and listening to him and Pa Fabio Olanipekun on NTA and other channels. What a loss! I pray God gives his family the fortitude to bear the irreparable loss. Adieu Arena!
Re: Veteran Sports Journalist Deacon Ayo Ositelu Dead? by yogun(f): 5:00pm On Jan 10, 2013
picture pls

(1) (2) (Reply)

Court Stops Sports Minister, Pinnick From Conducting NFF Executive Election / CPAN Chess League Season 3 Comes To An End In Style (pictures) / 100℅ Bet9ja Sure Booking Code For Today's Match

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.