Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,658 members, 7,820,309 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:52 PM

Scammers Use Bulk SMS To Customize Bank Alerts - Beware - Phones (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Scammers Use Bulk SMS To Customize Bank Alerts - Beware (26460 Views)

A New Trick Scammers Use To Divert Your Phone Account Balance / Etisalat Now Charge 2.00 For Sms To Other Network / Ever Sent A Dirty Sms To The Wrong Person? What Happened Thereafter ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Scammers Use Bulk SMS To Customize Bank Alerts - Beware by Revolva(m): 2:55pm On Jan 14, 2013
bigass: [size=16pt]Na today?it is very simple. stop giving out the number associated with your account to your clients. my mtn is associated with account but i give out glo, if i receive alerts on this glo then you be thief![/size]
Truth that's a nice idea
Re: Scammers Use Bulk SMS To Customize Bank Alerts - Beware by feelxp(m): 4:14pm On Jan 14, 2013
U were so lucky dat d driva didn't deliver it b4 u check ur acct 4 confirmation. U 4 don enta one chance. U shd av reported d mata 2 d police so dat an officer can pose as d driver 2 deliver d ipad.
Re: Scammers Use Bulk SMS To Customize Bank Alerts - Beware by infohenry(m): 4:29pm On Jan 14, 2013
ochukoccna: @ venorite,that was a close call yet this scam isn't new
I first read about it in The PUNCH about 2 years back
Also for you to want to sell an iPad,I believe you should have a smartphone which should deliver email alerts (of bank transactions) real time to you
Also move with your ATM card to check your balance too seeing commuinication(phone&email) have their off days many times in 9ja
Lastly,if you had the time,you would have put a little more effort alongside using the driver along with 9ja men in black to nail the fraudster
Even when he bails himself,e for eat detention beans,be out of circulation for a while &spend money bail himself.
Dont even go there better the way he handled it since he wil not be there to settle police to arrest the guy, this is nigerian police we are talking about not metropolitan police.
Re: Scammers Use Bulk SMS To Customize Bank Alerts - Beware by mascot87(m): 6:24pm On Jan 14, 2013
Whenever you receive an alert on your phone,to know if it is scam or not PLEASE check the message center number. I have been using this to track scammers a long time ago.
Re: Scammers Use Bulk SMS To Customize Bank Alerts - Beware by franksunny(m): 8:27pm On Jan 14, 2013
[quote
author=luluosas]OP, thank God your iPad was not lost to this useless
scammer.
Yes, you can send a customize messages using free sms on the net with
any name you like.
Please, next time you get any alert of deposit into your account, the
authentic sms alert from your bank will display the amount deposited, by
who and your current balance. But, a scam sms alert will only say so so
and so amount was deposited into your account by so so and so without
showing your current balance. Reasons that they don't have access to
your account. Please be very careful next time.
However, I want you to report him to EFCC right away so that his likes
will be a thing of the past in Nigeria. already some bankers are partnering with this scammers, let be more careful [/quote]
Re: Scammers Use Bulk SMS To Customize Bank Alerts - Beware by ikennahill: 2:41am On Jan 15, 2013
venorite: It started like this, I posted an advert for an iPad for. Sale on nairaland. I got a message on whatsapp from one individual claiming to be interested in the iPad.
After little deliberation we agreed on 84k and I will take care of transport.

He claims to stay in Aba so he requested for my account number which I sent to him. Few minutes later, I got a message from gtbank or so I thought of a deposit of 84k in my account. Having carried out many biz online, I proceeded to peace park in Onitsha to send the iPad to Aba. After deliberating with the driver, I gave him the scams name and phone number.

I left the park and headed for main market to get anoda phone and pay in some money for some one and I checked my account and low and behold, I found out that I have been scammed. I went straight to Gtbank and meet a customer care representative who told me that no payment was made into my account that yesterday.

I proceeded and called the driver but his number was switched off. After couple of tries at interval, I sent him a message telling him not to deliver the iPad to the person that was suppose to pick it up. He called me back and told me he switched off his phone cos the scam has been calling him on phone asking about his whereabouts. I explained to him and he said okay. I then proceeded to call the ikechukwu to be sure If he paid in any money into my account and he claimed he did.

I asked him to send the teller picture to a friend since I didn't have access to internet and she said he sent something but she couldn't see the names on the teller. She also said he sent her a teller number so I collected the teller number and called Gtactive and the lady I spoke with said she will send their port harcourt rd Aba branch an email cos he said that was where he paid in. She said I would receive another alert in 30mins if the money was actually paid in.

She also said that before an alert would be sent to someone, the money must have been credited into the person's account. This morning the driver called me and told me that the boy has been threatening him with EFCC asking him to deliver the iPad to him. After much waiting, I called the driver few mins past 5pm and he told me he was at the park.

So I went there and picked it up. He also showed me the messages the boy has been sending him threatening him with EFCC. I later learnt that you can customize and message using bulk SMS and that was how the boy customized the GTbank alert message he sent to me. It's a pity my iPad cannot upload pictures cos its still on version 5.1, if not I would have uploaded the gtbank credit alert I got. He claimed his name is Daniel Ikechukwu and his phone number is 07068080177.

I also googled his number and found out that his number has been listed as a number belonging to a scammer on nairaland.pls go to the link to see his other aliases and numbers...https://www.nairaland.com/1147706/nairalands-largest-scammer-observation...

so pls beware, our dear nairaland is full of scammers though there are some good ones have done business with.
pls share on facebook,we need to expose these evil men and save innocent citizens
Re: Scammers Use Bulk SMS To Customize Bank Alerts - Beware by odun99(f): 2:48pm On Oct 07, 2017
femi4:
Guy, I can never be in your shoe cos u r not smart enough.
If you have been receiving credit alert, you ll know that the text message suppose include your acc balance. Abi na NGN 0.00 dey your account ni
THINGS don change Bro. Someone scammed a friend last week with something similar. The alert updated his bank account with the credit o. Just exactly what a bank will send. The best bet is to check your balance

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Upgrade 4.0.4 For Tecno P3, N3, And Other Gingerbread Device now available / Twitter Limits The Number Of Posts Users Can Read Per Day / Confirmed : Innjoo Lagos Office Has Been Shut Down By NCC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.