Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,746 members, 7,809,844 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:56 PM

Android Gurus Get In Here. - Technology Market - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Technology Market / Android Gurus Get In Here. (1215 Views)

Mini Importation Gurus Please Help / My Fellow Android Gurus........help!!!!!!! / Pinterest Secret Boards: Get An Invite From Online Marketing Gurus. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Android Gurus Get In Here. by Nobody: 10:25am On Jan 13, 2013
Hi guys, am on the verge of getting a droid. I need a hand, I wanna know how to go about downloading .apk files from the internet to my PC for subsequent installation on my device. I'm a rookie and ain't tech savy so please take your time to spell it out for me. more like the dummies guide to downloading .apk files to a PC thing thanks.
Re: Android Gurus Get In Here. by electricity: 12:13pm On Jan 13, 2013
CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Okay, first what you need to do is go into Settings> Security, you should see an option for "Unknown Sources", tick it. It'll say some bla bla nonsense, click OK. Download any .apk file of your choice from anywhere you so please. Even a website with guaranteed viruses, don't worry nothing can harm your phone except you! Anyways, I usually do a Google search for the app name and the latest version for example "Titanium Backup Pro 5.3.2" then I download then use bluetooth or USB to transfer to my phone.
Speaking of USB, when you first plug your phone in you won't see it on your computer. DONT PANIC! Just slide down the status bar. There should be a notification for "USB Connection". Click it. An interface will open (It sometimes opens automatically once you plug in your phone). At the bottom of this interface there should be a button to "Mount SD" or "Connect Mass Storage" or something like that. Click on it and your phone will appear as a storage device on your computer.
Mind you, some hosting sites give the files names that sometimes doesn't end with ".apk". The file won't install on your phone if you try to open it. All you have to is rename it ending with .apk

Any questions?
Re: Android Gurus Get In Here. by Nobody: 12:18pm On Jan 13, 2013
Thanks buddy. The thing is, I hardly come across any site that lists apk applications for downloading. For example the google play store only gives an install only prompt. How do i now get the raw .apk file ? You could post some sites for me thanks.
Re: Android Gurus Get In Here. by electricity: 12:42pm On Jan 13, 2013
You can install from the Play Store and still keep your apks but you'll need to root your phone. Once your phone is rooted, use any file explorer (My fav is Solid Explorer but it's no longer free so I use AntTek Explorer). Go into Root>data>app . They're all there. Because I can do this, I always download from the play store unless I need a cracked app. As I said just Google app name and version you need.

I used to have a blog I visited regularly that gave me apps but after they stopped posting the latest update I stopped going there, can't remember the name now. As you search Google you'll find apps and where you got the .apk from you can just keep going back there. There are lots of them blogs out there.
Just did a search for a random app and "apkcracks.net" , "getapk.co", "androidfamily.net" even 4shared came up.

By the way what phone do you use and what Android version is it running? Go to Setting>About Phone
Re: Android Gurus Get In Here. by Nobody: 1:57pm On Jan 13, 2013
Not a phone a tablet, wifi only . By the way, is mini usb the same as otg cable ? The tablet is onda v701 . It comes with a mini usb port and cable and it is 3g cabale via external dongle. Does this mean I can connect my modem to it via the mini usb cable and it will work or do I need to get an OTG cable ?
The reason why I need to download the .apk file is cos the tab cannot browse for now by itself so, I am talking of a direct download to a PC and then transffering to the droid tab for installation.
So, direct download of raw .apk file coming first before installation is the crux here. Sorry for being so dull. And please try to answer all my questions.
Re: Android Gurus Get In Here. by electricity: 6:25pm On Jan 13, 2013
Since your Android tablet is not a very common model you might have trouble finding information about rooting it.
Anyway, if your tablet really is USB otg compatible it means that you can plug a mouse and a keyboard to it with the otg cable and it will work. Haven't done this before on my own but that's what people mainly use the otg cable for.
I also haven't tried using an external dongle before but I am sure the other end of the mini USB cord that you have (the end that connects to the computer) is for input into devices and is not shaped to receive other devices....long story, Guess you need the otg cable.

Before you start downloading apks just make sure Unknown Sources is ticked in your Security Settings. Download your apks to your computer then plug your mini USB, mount storage and copy-paste.
Re: Android Gurus Get In Here. by Nobody: 6:33pm On Jan 13, 2013
kkk. I get your drift but, I tried the sites you said and couldn't find any sites to actually download the apk file. The ones I saw kept dribling me.its frustrating.
Re: Android Gurus Get In Here. by Nobody: 6:35pm On Jan 13, 2013
What does "Market: Google play" mean ? does itt mean i can download directly from google play to the tab ?
Re: Android Gurus Get In Here. by Nobody: 6:38pm On Jan 13, 2013
These sounds like chinese but please check it out. Hi just purchased a Onda v701 yesterday and was experiencing the same problems as many of you with the play store - Error 101 when trying to download apps etc.. spent today googling and have managed to get it running as it should and without all the chinese stuff they bundle in. I take no credit for the programs used i have just put it all together so its easy to understand and leaving you with a great tablet....

First off we need the files so download the following 3

Firmware - Onda V701 1.5[OFFICIAL] (1 file)

Root+Gapps - ROOT and Google APPS (2 files)

You should now have the following .zip files

g12refM708A2SPI_v701_1.5
root
gapps-ics-20120429-signed

Now copy/drag+drop them to your sd-card as they are, now its time to flash it, please ensure you have atleast 50% battery to be safe.

With the tablet switched off boot to Recovery Mode ( holding down the home + power buttons until you see the white android )

Using the volume keys up/down and the power button to select do the following in order

wipe data/factory reset - wipe cache partition - wipe media partition

Now select - apply update from sdcard then select g12refM708A2SPI_v701_1.5.zip when it has finished select reboot, when the tablet loads it will
be in chinese unlock and press the blue button that pops up then press the settings button (blue box with sliders) now go down the left hand menu
to the symbol [A] white box black A, and select, now on the right press the top menu choice and select your language and then make sure you

change the time to your time zone! Now switch off the tablet again.

Again boot to recovery mode and select- apply update from sdcard then select- root.zip when done reboot.

Now goto your apps screen and you will see SuperUser and Root Explorer, select Root Explorer and grant SuperUser permissions.

You will now see a list of files, go down to and select- sdcard then select - external_sdcard and you will now see file-
gapps-ics-20120429-signed.zip Press and hold until a menu pops up and choose Extract All, once done select Goto Extracted, then select the file

gapps-ics-20120429-signed then - system then - app You will now see a list of apps, in the top right corner of screen press

the menu button (3 dots) and select Multi-select and then press Select All then Copy.

Now the back button (curved arrow bottom left of screen) you need to press this 6 times and then select System then app, you can now press

Paste... once done power off the tablet and power back on as normal, check your apps and you will now see Play Store.... Enjoy.

You now have your Onda v701 Dual-core running as it should be and a bargin at the price, enjoy!
Re: Android Gurus Get In Here. by electricity: 8:58pm On Jan 13, 2013
Guitarlife: What does "Market: Google play" mean ? does itt mean i can download directly from google play to the tab ?

Only if your tablet is connected to the internet. But since it's not just download .apks
Re: Android Gurus Get In Here. by electricity: 9:06pm On Jan 13, 2013
Guitarlife: kkk. I get your drift but, I tried the sites you said and couldn't find any sites to actually download the apk file. The ones I saw kept dribling me.its frustrating.

Lol. Are you talking about clicking on a link that sends you to a file sharing site that asks you to wait a few seconds to download the file? Haha! Thats normal procedure. Many of these blog sites can't afford their own servers to host these files so they have to link you somewhere else. Bear with it grin. Are you not the one that wants to download free apps?

If that is too stressful for you, I would suggest downloading a torrent of like 1000 apps. But then I always prefer searching the Google Play Store website for the apps that I really like then doing a Google search for the app's apk
Re: Android Gurus Get In Here. by Nobody: 9:19pm On Jan 13, 2013
maybe the droid is not for every body after all. How do I spend a lifetime searching for applications and trying to install them ? This is unbe-furking-lievable.
Re: Android Gurus Get In Here. by electricity: 9:42pm On Jan 13, 2013
Guitarlife: maybe the droid is not for every body after all. How do I spend a lifetime searching for applications and trying to install them ? This is unbe-furking-lievable.

You're the one that doesn't have wireless internet access and went to buy a wifi tablet. If you were using an iPad the process to get apps on it would be 10x more stressful (and risky!). With internet access all you have to do is open the Play Store app and click Download.
Re: Android Gurus Get In Here. by odume10: 10:02pm On Jan 13, 2013
anyone rooted and upgraded a Samsung galaxy sgh-i777 successfully? pls i need step-by-step guide on d best way to do that. a lot of methods online that sound too cumbersome for a beginner like me. an still on custom Rom 2.3.4 i think.
thanks
Re: Android Gurus Get In Here. by Nobody: 12:23am On Jan 14, 2013
odume10: anyone rooted and upgraded a Samsung galaxy sgh-i777 successfully? pls i need step-by-step guide on d best way to do that. a lot of methods online that sound too cumbersome for a beginner like me. an still on custom Rom 2.3.4 i think.
thanks
hope someone would respond to this

(1) (Reply)

Scraps thing that gives U Money back / Brand New Hp 650, Intel Dual Core, 320/4G, Bag, Win 8 @ 69k / Playstation 3 For Sale With 6 Games Included In Abuja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.