Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,734 members, 7,955,785 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 03:07 PM

I Want To Keep For Nigeria~ Carl Ikeme - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / I Want To Keep For Nigeria~ Carl Ikeme (747 Views)

Carl Ikeme Shares Photo With His Daughter / Carl Ikeme With His Wife & Two Children (Photo) / Carl Ikeme, Super Eagles Goalkeeper Set To Replace Enyeama (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

I Want To Keep For Nigeria~ Carl Ikeme by manuch(m): 9:28pm On Jan 14, 2013
I Want To Keep For Nigeria

In-form Wolves keeper Carl Ikeme is keeping his international options open for approaches from Nigeria or England.

The 26-year-old has been in outstanding form for his club this season.

Ikeme hails from Castle Bromwich in Birmingham but his father is Nigerian.

Six years ago he was included in Bertie Vogts’ first provisional Super Eagles squad – a 37-man list that also included Villa’s Gabby Agbonlahor and Albion’s Peter Odemwingie, then with Lille, and former Wolves team-mate Seyi Olofinjana.

Ikeme’s career then stalled somewhat, having to play second-fiddle to Matt Murray and Wayne Hennessey, and even third-fiddle when Marcus Hahnemann was at the club, leading to a succession of short-term loan moves.
But Ikeme is now in the form of his life.

And although he may be some way off a call from Roy Hodgson, Nigeria coach Stephen Keshi has very little back-up to long-standing goalkeeper Vincent Enyeama who, at the age of 30, already has 70 caps after 11 years as national No.1.

“A call up by Nigeria is the next step really, that’s the next level,” Ikeme told the Sunday Mercury. “If the call came I would be interested in it, obviously.

“I’ve not gone one way or the other. The Nigeria thing came up a few years ago and so everyone has associated me with Nigeria, but I’ve not decided on anything. It’s just a case of waiting and seeing how my career goes really. I’ll just see where I end up.

“But if Nigeria did call me, I’d seriously consider it. My dad’s side of the family are all from Nigeria. I was over there last summer. I do still see a lot of them.

“They called Gabby up with me but he was always more hopeful of England because he was playing in the Premier League. England are the stronger footballing nation.

(1) (Reply)

What Drogba Told Me In South Africa — Oboabona / An Open Letter To Arsenal Manager(arsene Wenger) From A Sad Fan / Arsenal Fans Drove Gervinho Out Of The Club

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.