Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,729 members, 7,809,784 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:53 PM

The Myth About The Left Hand - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Myth About The Left Hand (1128 Views)

Why It Is Offensive To Give/Receive With Your Left Hand? / The Myth About Wall Geckos / Giving And Recieving With The Left Hand. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Myth About The Left Hand by Nobody: 5:28pm On Jan 15, 2013
I went to buy something today and when I wanted to collect my balance, I stretched out my left hand to collect it because I am left handed. The woman refused to give me my balance and insisted I collect it with my right hand. I had to oblige because she is elderly. I am puzzled. What exactly is the myth surrounding the left hand and do you believe in this myth?
Re: The Myth About The Left Hand by anonymous6(f): 11:34pm On Jan 21, 2013
it is considered disrespectful and I heard to some muslims it is considered disrespectful because that is the hand used for washing the behind

1 Like

Re: The Myth About The Left Hand by tpia5: 11:40pm On Jan 21, 2013
One track minds.
Re: The Myth About The Left Hand by 190: 11:10pm On Apr 27, 2013
shocked shocked
Re: The Myth About The Left Hand by tpia5: 12:25am On Apr 28, 2013
God will deliver nigerians and online jujuists, from their satanic mindsets.
Re: The Myth About The Left Hand by MuyiGL: 12:36am On May 29, 2013
poshdiva: I went to buy something today and when I wanted to collect my balance, I stretched out my left hand to collect it because I am left handed. The woman refused to give me my balance and insisted I collect it with my right hand. I had to oblige because she is elderly. I am puzzled. What exactly is the myth surrounding the left hand and do you believe in this myth?

I have had to struggle with this all my life, as I am left-handed too. I just do as they please for the sake of peace. Of course only for when I'm giving or collecting money. But when I'm eating or writing, I couldn't care less what anybody says or does. That's for their pocket.

Luckily I have understanding parents who don't see anything wrong. My dad was born left handed and he went through hell with his mother till he changed. He says it affects him till this day. So the moment he realized I was left-handed too, he let me be. And he ensured that no teachers in school changed me.

I've learnt to be proud of who I am and how I was born. Seriously a lack of exposure is the reason for all these stupidity. People only need to watch TV everyday, or read the news to see great people who are left-handed; Obama, Clinton, Nadal, Messi, Babyface.... the list is endless.

Even in the Bible, a book Nigerians hold so dearly, we have Ehud and Gideon who were heroes of their time. Only Ehud was able to kill the enemy king because he was left-handed. And also the whole tribe of Benjamites was left-handed.

What surprises me is that there are people of our own generation who still think like that. I have given up trying to argue with them or please them. I am the owner of my life. People are just narrow-minded. That's the only explanation
Re: The Myth About The Left Hand by Eri8: 1:34am On May 29, 2013
My grandmother to this day gets mad at the fact I'm left handed lol. Soriously though I think people need to get over the fact that not everybody is going to be right handed and the same.

(1) (Reply)

Imagine You Were This Dog (pics) / Photo: Look At What This 6 Yoruba Women Did To Arik Ait / Why Do Yoruba Guys Hate When Pple Flaunt Their Wealth

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.