Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,501 members, 7,823,168 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 05:36 AM

Any Pediatricians Or Neonatologist In The House? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Any Pediatricians Or Neonatologist In The House? (1764 Views)

Nigeria Only Has 600 Pediatricians – Paediatric Association of Nigeria / Hello PEDIATRICIANS In The House !!!!!! / Nigeria Has 600 Pediatricians For 40million Children (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Any Pediatricians Or Neonatologist In The House? by Nobody: 4:02am On Feb 29, 2008
Any pediatrician or Neonatologist in the house? I want to gain more insights into these two fields. for example, requirements to get into the fields, into the med school. after med school, how was your residency and internship. Basically, your experience in either field. . . what you face working as a Ped or Neo or what you're facing trying to get the degree . . .Kind of experience you had with a patient. . .

If there's any Ped or Neo here that's in Florida, it'll even be better, so i can know what am getting into. i know i have to work hard, but i need this info to become familiar with the Med Field. thanks kiss
Re: Any Pediatricians Or Neonatologist In The House? by kathyekiti: 5:40am On Feb 29, 2008
hi,
I have friends who are pediatricians. Unfortunately, not in Florida. Would you like me to give them your email?
Re: Any Pediatricians Or Neonatologist In The House? by Nobody: 5:44am On Feb 29, 2008
kathyekiti:

hi,
I have friends who are pediatricians. Unfortunately, not in Florida. Would you like me to give them your email?
hi, if i could get in contact with them, that'll be great. i'll put my email here for some mins. . . . i'll really like to know more about this field from a personal experience, not from what am being fed on a search engine smiley

and nice to meet another ekiti or from ekiti
Re: Any Pediatricians Or Neonatologist In The House? by kathyekiti: 5:50am On Feb 29, 2008
which ekiti are you?
Re: Any Pediatricians Or Neonatologist In The House? by Nobody: 5:57am On Feb 29, 2008
kathyekiti:

which ekiti are you?
am originally from Ikun-Ekiti, but my family stay at Ado-Ekiti too smiley
Re: Any Pediatricians Or Neonatologist In The House? by kathyekiti: 2:24am On Mar 01, 2008
Hi,
I missed your email address. Send me an email and I will send you hers.
Re: Any Pediatricians Or Neonatologist In The House? by Nobody: 3:58am On Mar 01, 2008
LOL. . . sorry i erased it. ok, i'll try to send the email now. thanks a bunch.
i guess there's no Peds/Neo in the house. . **signs**
Re: Any Pediatricians Or Neonatologist In The House? by kathyekiti: 6:08am On Mar 01, 2008
don't worry, in a few years, you will come back and representsmiley
Re: Any Pediatricians Or Neonatologist In The House? by Nobody: 7:35pm On Mar 01, 2008
kathyekiti:

don't worry, in a few years, you will come back and representsmiley
thanks. . . i know so, because i too know there is nothing impossible when you have Jesus as a Saviour kiss
Re: Any Pediatricians Or Neonatologist In The House? by almondjoy(f): 8:39am On Mar 02, 2008
Any field that has to do with children is a fantastic field. No lifting, less risk of contracting adult type disease (because you almost, always know what the children have) and they children are so precious even as teenagers. All you can do is love them and want to help them out because they are so helpless. sad

I know many Nigerian Pediatricians, not in Florida though.  But I have only worked with one Nigerian, Yoruba Neonatologist. For some reason Nigerians and other minority countries do not like Neonatology as much as they do other fields.  I guess because it requires a whole lot of discipline and a high level of accountability. It is really a very sensitive area and the patients are very delicate, being as young as 23 weeks.  Most Nigerians do not have the stomach for that I guess. Most are in the stage of making money and not really interested in professional advancement for now.  In neonatology, it is mandatory you keep up and that becomes a lifestyle on its own with too many sacrifices to make.

Both fields are equally rewarding. Once you deal with children, you will NEVER deal with adults. They are less complicated and more loveable.

Google both and see a weath of info available to you.

If you specialize in Neonates, you can handle Pediatric patients.  If you only specialize in Pediatrics, you may need additional training to deal with Neonates.

Neonates=babies who are 0-28days old including premature babies.

Pedriatics=I month old infants-19 year olds, including teenagers.

I prefer to work with Neonates! cool I work with neonatologists in my department, but only on the pharmarceutical consultancy end of it.  I do not do direct patient care or bed side care. Gosh no!

Goodluck!

Some helpful links:

http://neonatology.mc.duke.edu/

http://www.aamc.org/students/cim/pub_pediatrics.htm
Re: Any Pediatricians Or Neonatologist In The House? by amsky(m): 6:06pm On Mar 02, 2008
Almondjoy, hi

What do you think bed side care and patient care? I thought it was way better and easier. undecided
Re: Any Pediatricians Or Neonatologist In The House? by almondjoy(f): 9:13pm On Mar 02, 2008
amsky:

Almondjoy, hi

What do you think bed side care and patient care? I thought it was way better and easier. undecided

It has to do with your personality.  Some people are more interactive than others. You have to have a special gift to be able to serve at the bed side. I personally could not do that since I love to do my own thing. I prefer educational  conferences and research areas of health care. Limited interaction with patients. Too much drama!

If is only easy for people who like to do such things.  I really don't. So I work behind the scenes away from it all.
Re: Any Pediatricians Or Neonatologist In The House? by Nobody: 10:37pm On Mar 02, 2008
@almondjoy
thanks jare kiss. . .i love any career that has to do with taking care of babies. i love them with passion.

but there are also pediatricians that only specialize in taking care of babies less than one year. . .
Re: Any Pediatricians Or Neonatologist In The House? by almondjoy(f): 1:47am On Mar 03, 2008
morenike09:

@almondjoy
thanks jare kiss. . .i love any career that has to do with taking care of babies. i love them with passion.

but there are also pediatricians that only specialize in taking care of babies less than one year. . .

Yes.  That is where neonatology comes in.  A pediatrician can go on to specialize in neonates i.e. perinatal neonatal medicine and stick to that population of kids if he or she wants. Yes, neonatology is a fantastic field to be in. Nothing over 10pounds! cool
Re: Any Pediatricians Or Neonatologist In The House? by Nobody: 1:14am On Mar 04, 2008
thanks. . . i know what am getting into. . . i have the life of a tiny lil fragile body in my hands. . and i too know that it's going to get tough. . . but it'll be all worth it. . smiley

i love these two fields mostly b/c i dnt have to deal with anyone more than 20 years. . .although i'll have to interact with the patient's family and family members, but not a big deal. nothing to worry abt . . or not a lot to worry abt
Re: Any Pediatricians Or Neonatologist In The House? by almondjoy(f): 11:12am On Mar 04, 2008
morenike09:

thanks. . . i know what am getting into. . . i have the life of a tiny little fragile body in my hands. . and i too know that it's going to get tough. . . but it'll be all worth it. . smiley

i love these two fields mostly b/c i dnt have to deal with anyone more than 20 years. . .although i'll have to interact with the patient's family and family members, but not a big deal. nothing to worry about . . or not a lot to worry about

Goodluck! You will really enjoy that field. kiss

(1) (Reply)

Omotola Looks Great With Make Up, But How About Without MakeUp / HIV Positive? Take Black Seed Oil Everyday. / Help! Continous Running Nose

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.