Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,770 members, 7,809,967 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:01 PM

Doctor Emigrating To America Via The USMLE Route - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Doctor Emigrating To America Via The USMLE Route (2017 Views)

Doctor Emigrating To America Via The USMLE Route / Take The Usmle And Other InternationalExams Here In Nigeria / Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Doctor Emigrating To America Via The USMLE Route by Anaphylaxis(m): 1:58pm On Jan 19, 2013
Hello. This is from a naija doc to colleagues who are currently practicing medicine in the US or about to.

I've never really been crazy about plying my trade abroad but with recent happenings I have decided to give it a try.

I'm 3 yrs post MBBS and I've had my primaries for about a year now but securing a residency spot has become a herculian task. One of my consultants in med school said the best time for a doctor to try his luck abroad is either immediately after NYSC or after Part 1 fellowship exams. That way he won't lose much should things not work out and he decides to come back to the country.

I'm not among those who believe that one must travel out of the country to become accomplished in one's profession, but the truth is destinies differ for different people . Some doctors will be better of leaving this country while others wil be making a big mistake in doing so.

For me the only countries I'd consider working as a doctor in are Canada & the US. It is for this reason that I ask my esteemed colleagues for their opinion as I attempt the USMLE. My friends, some of whom are in the US, have been telling me to give it a shot & I know a couple of folks who have gone that route and are very happy with it.

Any doctor familiar with the Nigerian situation will understand how things are so there's no need to go into all that. This step for me,far from being borne out of frustration,is about exploring other options.

Please, tell me what you think about the whole thing. viz; the exam, the opportunities. what are those issues that nobody ever tells you about only for you to find out for yourself with a rude shock?

The comments of informed people esp medics are highly welcomed. Please derailers back of.

1 Like

Re: Doctor Emigrating To America Via The USMLE Route by Nobody: 10:50pm On Jan 19, 2013
Your best option is to come to the U.S by applying to med-school. There are many Nigeria doctors here who studied in Nigeria but practice in the U.S. I don't really understand the process but you will have to seat for an exam which enables the school to admit you for specialization in a particular medical field. I know of a school that admits a lot of foreigners into their medical programs. The school is called East Carolina University.

You will not regret doing it because medical practitionals earn between $100k and $170k per year in the U.S.
Re: Doctor Emigrating To America Via The USMLE Route by holysmoke(m): 11:23pm On Jan 19, 2013
I don't live in America but from the little I know of it the cost of med school is nothing like what is obtainable in Nigeria. Students take loans to study which they pay off over time. You're still better of writing the qualifying examinations in Nigeria. Have you checked their websites ? I think you should.
Re: Doctor Emigrating To America Via The USMLE Route by Anaphylaxis(m): 11:32pm On Jan 19, 2013
Thanks guys. Going to med school is not a consideration for me at all. All the folks I know of who are currently in the states did so by just writing the qualifying exams. I can say I know a fair share of the theory . I just need more people who have " been there and done that " to say it as it is. Thanks all the same.
Re: Doctor Emigrating To America Via The USMLE Route by claremont(m): 11:58am On Jan 20, 2013
Your thread will be better off in the health section, not here.
Re: Doctor Emigrating To America Via The USMLE Route by dremmy: 2:41pm On Sep 26, 2013
Your best bet would be to emigrate to the US via the public health route (MPH). In the process of doing the 2 years MPH, you would sit and go for USMLE lessons and take the exams. A friend of mine did his MPH at John Hopkins (dont mind the name, easy to enter if you have the cash to pay school fees) and the recommendations of professors in preventive medicine got him good jobs which he retained till he entered residency.
The only thing you have to bear in mind is that program directors value the USMLE scores (esp Step 1) when considering IMGs.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Best Diet For Managing Stomach Ulcer / Diffrence between A Fake Milk And Original Milk Spark Arguments Among Nigerians / The 3 Week Diet- Can You Really Lose 20 Pounds In 3 Weeks?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.