Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,423 members, 7,826,652 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 05:40 PM

Soyinka Takes Osun Groove Water For Brazilian Worshippers - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Soyinka Takes Osun Groove Water For Brazilian Worshippers (1746 Views)

Yoruba Name Not For Your Daughter - Brazilian Officials Tell Couple / T.B Joshua Named 'Yoruba Man Of The Decade', Soyinka 'Yoruba Man Of The Year' / Traditional Worshippers Day Declared In Osun State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Soyinka Takes Osun Groove Water For Brazilian Worshippers by OsunIfe: 4:28pm On Jan 19, 2013
http://leadership.ng/nga/articles/45457/2013/01/19/soyinka_takes_osun_groove_water_brazilian_worshippers.html

Sat, 19/01/2013 - 6:03am | SEFIU AYANBIMPE

Nobel laureate, Prof. Wole Soyinka, in a bid to unite worshippers of the world acclaimed Osun Osogbo Festival with diaspora counterparts in the Caribbean, yesterday scooped the spiritual Osun water into a container with a view to transferring same to worshippers in Brazil.

Soyinka, who is a United Nations Educational Scientific and Cultural Organisation (UNESCO)ambassador, in addition visited the groove to inspect the conditions of the tourist sites’ relics and natural resources within the groove.

[b]He said that the Yorubas in the Diaspora, who are worshippers of Osun, only use symbolic water in a bowl to depict the Osun River in Brazil during festival.

He said he promised the worshippers that in his next visit to the South American country, he would bring them water from Osun River, so as to confer originality to the ‘spiritual essence of water’ during festival.

“I am taking Osun Osogbo water samples to Brazil for the Osun worshippers. We have a lot of black people there and many of them are devotees of Osun, Sango, Obatala, Ogun, Yemoja and other deities.

”When I visited the worshippers in Brazil, I found out that they have preserved Yoruba culture, from the liturgies to some of the prayers and even the processions of the devotees. I saw the Iyalorisa of Osun. I saw a bowl of water, which was symbolic of Osun River and I promised them that I would bring them the actual water from Osun.

“I came to see how the work is going on here because there is a lot of restoration here and there is always a conflict of ideas when projects like this is being done. In making sure that one element in a preserved place like this does not clash with another element and to see how we can harmonise it.”

Over 50 million Yoruba descents are said to be living in the Diaspora including West Africa, North, South and with the largest concentration in Central America and the Caribbean. [/b]

Soyinka, who went round the Osun groove in company of Senator Sola Adeyeye, observed that some of the relics, art and cultural artefacts need constant maintenance and restoration so that they may retain their tourist attractions.

The Commissioner for Home Affairs, Tourism and Culture, Mr Sikiru Ayedun, told journalists that the government of Mr. Rauf Aregbesola is leaving no stone unturned in making sure that the state becomes the major tourist destination of the country.

2 Likes

Re: Soyinka Takes Osun Groove Water For Brazilian Worshippers by braine(m): 4:31pm On Jan 19, 2013
Ok
Re: Soyinka Takes Osun Groove Water For Brazilian Worshippers by PaulJohn1: 4:34pm On Jan 19, 2013
Yes boss.

This your hair style..... I bow cheesy
Re: Soyinka Takes Osun Groove Water For Brazilian Worshippers by PAGAN9JA(m): 4:44pm On Jan 19, 2013
May PAganism spread around the world. ASE!

1 Like

Re: Soyinka Takes Osun Groove Water For Brazilian Worshippers by PaulJohn1: 4:54pm On Jan 19, 2013
... We have a lot of black people there and many of them are devotees of Osun, Sango, Obatala, Ogun, Yemoja and other deities.

Two states named after gods! grin

1 Like

Re: Soyinka Takes Osun Groove Water For Brazilian Worshippers by Akanbiedu(m): 5:52pm On Jan 19, 2013
Ogun state is not from the ogun you are talking about.
Re: Soyinka Takes Osun Groove Water For Brazilian Worshippers by warlei(m): 5:54pm On Jan 19, 2013
i am proud of yoruba culture. Show me a yoruba man who doesnt worship olorun and olodumare. We have been worshiping them before the white man told us olorun is their own God.and they demonise esu.i am proud of the good sides of yoruba religion.

2 Likes

Re: Soyinka Takes Osun Groove Water For Brazilian Worshippers by adeoluwaeboni: 11:08pm On Jan 19, 2013
cool
Re: Soyinka Takes Osun Groove Water For Brazilian Worshippers by jogrin0(m): 11:12pm On Jan 19, 2013
grin grin grin

Re: Soyinka Takes Osun Groove Water For Brazilian Worshippers by adeoluwaeboni: 11:19pm On Jan 19, 2013
jogrin0: grin grin grin

What's funny? undecided
Re: Soyinka Takes Osun Groove Water For Brazilian Worshippers by AfroBlue(m): 3:35am On Jan 20, 2013
real good documentary on water

i've been hearing for years about afro-brazilians keeping the customs

Water: The Great Mystery

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/water-great-mystery/
Re: Soyinka Takes Osun Groove Water For Brazilian Worshippers by Nobody: 4:35am On Jan 20, 2013
I like this man but I just hate his idol worshiping juju ways
I pray he Gives his life to Christ before he dies
Re: Soyinka Takes Osun Groove Water For Brazilian Worshippers by PaulJohn1: 5:00am On Jan 20, 2013
^^
Amen
Re: Soyinka Takes Osun Groove Water For Brazilian Worshippers by tpia5: 8:38am On Jan 20, 2013
Paul John:

They are named after rivers, just like nigeria itself.

Please try to be enlightened.
Re: Soyinka Takes Osun Groove Water For Brazilian Worshippers by PAGAN9JA(m): 12:52pm On Jan 20, 2013
babyosisi: I like this man but I just hate his idol worshiping juju ways
I pray he Gives his life to Christ before he dies

you are in bad luck. before he gives up idolatory, you will convert to traditional religion. i promise you that.
Re: Soyinka Takes Osun Groove Water For Brazilian Worshippers by PAGAN9JA(m): 12:52pm On Jan 20, 2013
tpia@:

They are named after rivers, just like nigeria itself.

Please try to be enlightened.

dont lie. The rivers are named after Gods.

1 Like

Re: Soyinka Takes Osun Groove Water For Brazilian Worshippers by tpia5: 8:26pm On Jan 20, 2013
^sometimes, a river really is, just a river.

the state of Mississippi is also named after a river.

likewise, lagos means lagoon, and kaduna is named for the river kaduna.
Re: Soyinka Takes Osun Groove Water For Brazilian Worshippers by PAGAN9JA(m): 6:08pm On Jan 21, 2013
tpia@:
^sometimes, a river really is, just a river.

the state of Mississippi is also named after a river.

likewise, lagos means lagoon, and kaduna is named for the river kaduna.

that doesnt change the fact that the rivers are named after GODS.

1 Like

Re: Soyinka Takes Osun Groove Water For Brazilian Worshippers by lekkie073(m): 7:06pm On Jan 21, 2013
Paul John:

ògún god of thunder is different from ò g ù n the state.
Re: Soyinka Takes Osun Groove Water For Brazilian Worshippers by PAGAN9JA(m): 7:16pm On Jan 21, 2013
lekkie073: ,
ògún god of thunder is different from ò g ù n the state.

The state is named after a river which is named after a God.
Re: Soyinka Takes Osun Groove Water For Brazilian Worshippers by lekkie073(m): 7:36pm On Jan 21, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

The state is named after a river which is named after a God.
which god? i believe u r not refering to thegid if thunder....their pronunciation is different o
Re: Soyinka Takes Osun Groove Water For Brazilian Worshippers by tpia5: 11:46pm On Jan 21, 2013
pagan

The rivers preceded the gods, unless you want to argue otherwise.

And as was pointed out, one of the rivers is not the deity.
Re: Soyinka Takes Osun Groove Water For Brazilian Worshippers by anonymous6(f): 11:56pm On Jan 21, 2013
well that's good of him, interesting smiley
Re: Soyinka Takes Osun Groove Water For Brazilian Worshippers by PAGAN9JA(m): 6:40pm On Jan 22, 2013
lekkie073:
which god? i believe u r not refering to thegid if thunder....their pronunciation is different o

Its still derived from the same thing!
Re: Soyinka Takes Osun Groove Water For Brazilian Worshippers by PAGAN9JA(m): 6:58pm On Jan 22, 2013
tpia@:
pagan

The rivers preceded the gods, unless you want to argue otherwise.

And as was pointed out, one of the rivers is not the deity.

are you dey craze? THe Gods existed way before the materialistic river did!

that is just a pronounciation difference. after all, what other meaning does Osun have?
Re: Soyinka Takes Osun Groove Water For Brazilian Worshippers by lekkie073(m): 10:40am On Jan 23, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

are you dey craze? THe Gods existed way before the materialistic river did!

that is just a pronounciation difference. after all, what other meaning does Osun have?
i doubt if u know anything about yoruba history. osun state is named after d osun river which is also named after d goddess osun. ogun state is named after d ogun river which is not named after d god of iron( ogun). ogun river derived its name from ogun which(charm). if u r a yoruba linguist u will definitely know the difference between ogun, god of iron and ogun, charm.
now u r very dumb by saying the gods preceeded d rivers all rivers are created from time immemorial. river niger which yorubas call odo oya was named after sango's wife oya who immediately after d demise of sango entered d river and was not seen again. naming rivers after gods is symbolic. it does not mean the particular god created that river. r u learning, mr pagan whatsoeva?
Re: Soyinka Takes Osun Groove Water For Brazilian Worshippers by PAGAN9JA(m): 8:58am On Jan 24, 2013
lekkie073:
i doubt if u know anything about yoruba history. osun state is named after d osun river which is also named after d goddess osun. ogun state is named after d ogun river which is not named after d god of iron( ogun). ogun river derived its name from ogun which(charm). if u r a yoruba linguist u will definitely know the difference between ogun, god of iron and ogun, charm.
now u r very dumb by saying the gods preceeded d rivers all rivers are created from time immemorial. river niger which yorubas call odo oya was named after sango's wife oya who immediately after d demise of sango entered d river and was not seen again. naming rivers after gods is symbolic. it does not mean the particular god created that river. r u learning, mr pagan whatsoeva?

ok then please explain to me what this Ogun Charm is all about

and plz dont act stu.pid and put words into my mouth. I never mentioned the Creator Force Olodumare. we all are aware that the creation of the river was due to the influence of Olodumare, the Creator Force.I too am well aware of the fact that the rivers are symbolically named after Gods. Hweverm, this does not mean that the Gods came after the rivers. for example, Shango, the force Destruction/war,etc., has existed forever, Hoever it is the Yorubas who named this Spiritual Force as Shango , after their King . (possibly). This God of Destruction and war had a different Yoruba name before that. just remember this. so tit is just the name that changes, however the Spiritua Force remains forever. Shango is called Mithras by the Ancient Persians or Mercury by the GReeks. It is all the same thing.

i hope you are learning mrs lekkie whatsoever. .
Re: Soyinka Takes Osun Groove Water For Brazilian Worshippers by lekkie073(m): 2:51pm On Jan 24, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

ok then please explain to me what this Ogun Charm is all about

and plz dont act stu.pid and put words into my mouth. I never mentioned the Creator Force Olodumare. we all are aware that the creation of the river was due to the influence of Olodumare, the Creator Force.I too am well aware of the fact that the rivers are symbolically named after Gods. Hweverm, this does not mean that the Gods came after the rivers. for example, Shango, the force Destruction/war,etc., has existed forever, Hoever it is the Yorubas who named this Spiritual Force as Shango , after their King . (possibly). This God of Destruction and war had a different Yoruba name before that. just remember this. so tit is just the name that changes, however the Spiritua Force remains forever. Shango is called Mithras by the Ancient Persians or Mercury by the GReeks. It is all the same thing.
i hope you are learning mros lekkie whatsoever. .
p
yoruba is a language dats problematic when u dont understand d phonetical melody dat goes with words
ogun(god of iron and war) has the 'do' and 'mi' on the vowels respectively
ogun(the state) has do do respectively so is ogun which is charm
Re: Soyinka Takes Osun Groove Water For Brazilian Worshippers by PAGAN9JA(m): 3:01pm On Jan 24, 2013
lekkie073: p
yoruba is a language dats problematic when u dont understand d phonetical melody dat goes with words
ogun(god of iron and war) has the 'do' and 'mi' on the vowels respectively
ogun(the state) has do do respectively so is ogun which is charm

ok that is fine, but what is this charm you talk about?

(1) (Reply)

In Azande Tribe, Boys Become Wives / What Does Kpeku Mean Not Kpekus But Kpeku / Yoruba: Ekuro/okuro Lalabaku Ewa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.