Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,356 members, 7,819,276 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:38 PM

Catch Me If You Can (5 biggest sports fraudsters) - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Catch Me If You Can (5 biggest sports fraudsters) (952 Views)

Nigeria’s Biggest Sports Party – Celebrity Fans Challenge 2015 / Biggest Sports Joke Ever! / Your Biggest Sports Blunder: Make Us Laugh (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Catch Me If You Can (5 biggest sports fraudsters) by redcliff: 9:56am On Jan 21, 2013
Personally, have always been intrigued with fraud of any kind. Maybe it was my days interning with an investment bank and witnessing the variety of cases even from some of the most honest people I knew (or at least so I thought). Growing up, I always dreamt about how I would be a great basketball player. I never could jump high enough, I couldn’t guard enough and I couldn’t think fast enough, so the coach dumped me. My fate always made me think twice about the athletes that do extraordinary things such as His airness, Michael Jordan, Usain Bolt, Michael Phelps and even Messi now. How come they are extraordinary at what they do and I am… well, yeah, me.

Let’s leave me for a sec and talk about how we look up to these sportsmen and idolize them. And then at some point on the road, the prowess in sportsmanship we place on such a high pedestal crashes to the ground. We find out it’s all a hoax

Ben Johnson

The year was 1988, the stage was set, the venue was Seoul, capital of South Korea, event was the Olympics, the task ahead was the 100m finals, add a purpose minded coach ready to win at all cost, and a great student willing to take in all the teachings.
This was a battle royale. A battle of cultures between the proud Americans versus their gentle Canadian neighbours.
Alas, Ben Johnson was too fast for his own good. When one looks at the race, it was clear Ben had to have been on something, how could he have beaten the rest of the pack as such when he wasn’t smoking whatever it is Usain Bolt’s mum plants in her backyard?
Ben was all the glory and then shame.

Marion Jones, her Ex and her second Ex

This is some Bonny and Clyde stuff, except that there were three Clydes(Two of the Clydes were caught for doping, but not Marion, (hence my assertion that women make better fraud perpetuators than their male counterparts). I have to be frank, had Marion not been stopped she would have gold medals even in gymnastics. She could run, she could jump, she could play basketball but she could not hide the substance properly. How sad. There should be money back guarantee from her supplier.
The teethy Belizean-American did make a comeback as a basketball player on the female team of the Tulsa Shock after going broke, confessing on the preferred confession medium (Oprah).

Diego and the hand

Argentina and the UK have always fought, well, over a tiny island called Falkland, but nothing was like the battle in 1986. In one epic World Cup quarter finals match Diego went from scoring the most fraudulent goal in the history of soccer through the famed hand of God to scoring the most brilliant goal in football history. Period. How? By dribbling through nearly everyone on the English team.

Tiger woods

This is a strange sporting fraud, as Tiger’s fraud had little or nothing to do with sports, but the image he cut for us all. Poster boy and stuff. Rated by far and all, as the best black male DNA/stock/royal oats out there at his peak. Every parent’s dream for their daughter. A Sportsman, Rich man, Gentleman etc. We took all of Tiger into our lives via the multiple endorsements from Nike, Gatorade, KPMG etc and so did 29 other women take all of his Tiger too literally.
Tiger was caught red handed cheating with more than 29 women and his wife promptly took HALF (you need to have watched Eddie Murphy RAW to understand the word HALF better

Lance Armstrong

Oh Lance, how could you? If you had been a Nigerian politician, Only God knows how much you would have stolen by now. You won seven times and didn’t even consider sharing titles with your teammates at the US Postal office sponsored team. Little wonder, they snitched. Those guys deserve some award for their silence over the years. How do you think they felt having to explain their loss year in year out to their wives and kids. Daddy is just not good enough to beat

Lance.

Ten years. Ten whole years.

Somewhere in between, I am sure it felt like he wasn’t really using anything other than a cold glass of Glucose D. Hey, the fact that we don’t know what you are using doesn’t mean we believe you are not using. I quote a Forbes report I read recently: You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time,” said Abraham Lincoln, “but you can not fool all of the people all of the time”.
In 1997, Lance even conquered testicular, brain and lung cancer all at the same time to win the Tour de France (better known as Tour de Lance) again in 1999. Hey Guys, Wait a minute DID LANCE ARMSTRONG EVEN HAVE TESTICULAR CANCER or was that part of the scam too.

Usain Bolt, Le Bron James, Phelps, at this point on the road, I DON’T CARE ANYMORE. JUST PLEASE, DON’T GET CAUGHT. I don’t know if my heart can take anymore.

-Contributor

Source

(1) (Reply)

Arsenal Won’t Win Any Trophy, Until The New Royal Baby Becomes King – TB Joshua / TB Joshua Wants Arsene Wenger To Come To Synagogue / Discuss Football With Pigin In Piginfootballfans

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.