Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,665 members, 7,820,339 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:19 PM

plane freaks - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / plane freaks (1986 Views)

World's First Solar-powered Plane. / Photos Of Windowless Plane That Allows Passengers To What They Like / A Car Saves A Plane With A Landing Gear Failure (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

plane freaks by robby1(m): 9:27pm On Mar 03, 2008
How come no one talks about planes here? Or is nairaland the wrong place for such discussions?
I love planes, i mean the big big ones, and i hope to fly one one day and if i make enough money to manage a small plane (the type that can land on grass like the cessnas and mooney bravo's), i will get one.
Are there people here like me, i mean the real fraky onesthat can watch landing planes for 6 hours withouth getting bored?
Re: plane freaks by Nobody: 8:38am On Mar 04, 2008
Watching planes land and take off for 6 hours, wow.

You're referring to STOL planes - Short Take Off and Landing.

Google "Plane Spotters", that should produce quite a lot, probably a forum or too as well.
Re: plane freaks by fotodaddy: 8:41am On Mar 04, 2008
ol boy, there is no one like you here o!!! You are own your own. Notice this is the AUTO section not the plane section. duuuuuu undecided
Re: plane freaks by Nobody: 8:42am On Mar 04, 2008
R_o_b_b_y, here's one right up your street. . .

http://planespotters.com/
Re: plane freaks by robby1(m): 11:48am On Mar 04, 2008
Siena:

Watching planes land and take off for 6 hours, wow.

You're referring to STOL planes - Short Take Off and Landing.

Google "Plane Spotters", that should produce quite a lot, probably a forum or too as well.
i was wondering if there were any naija peeps intrested in such. i know airliners.net(probably the most popular)

fotodaddy:

ol boy, there is no one like you here o!!! You are own your own. Notice this is the AUTO section not the plane section. duuuuuu undecided

Yes its auto section, but the description includes planes if i am not mistaken. i checked before posting.

@ sienna,, thanks, i'll check that out.

i watch planes landing from my room window, into london city airport almost everyday. its quite nice
meanwhile, i am still waiting for more people.
Re: plane freaks by manuelstud: 12:47pm On Mar 04, 2008
, sorry mate, i dont share ur hobby, but i sure do admire it, best of luck mate, cheers
Re: plane freaks by SeyiJay(m): 3:46pm On Mar 20, 2008
R_o_b_b_y, i feel u. Glad to hav a "plane freak" on board. Ignore those saying this is an 'autos' thread. Anything that has wheels and can outrun your legs should qualify here. Used to be xtremly fascinated by planes esp. the 747s. Imagine a massive metal of some 300 tons lifting at crazy speeds of up to 1200km/h [ave.] at an alt. of 35,000ft. Real cool.! I'm always dazed when i happen to witness some goog landing with that beautiul landing 'screech' on the runway. can't enjoy any film without a good deal of aerobatic display.
Have you happened to watch fighters like the F18 Tomcat or similar landing on an aircraft carrier esp. on a wide screen? with all the attendant sound efx, u get the bumps all over ya, Fill me.
Re: plane freaks by fotodaddy: 3:56pm On Mar 20, 2008
ol boy I wouldnt want to be stuck on a deserted island with o!!! grin

I fear what will happen everytime a plane flies over head!!! cheesy

But is all good!! IAnd I guess you are right. Perhaps Seun can rename this the All things mechanical section!!! Cos bikers are here, right?? So why not plane freaks!! And before you now it I can start showing off with my RC heli and truck etc!!

Seun Take note!!!
Re: plane freaks by iice(f): 4:23pm On Mar 20, 2008
I loff planes. . .
I used to hang out in the airports and watch them land and take off like you
I also used to hang out in the hangers, watch the repairs, cleaning and stocking.
Re: plane freaks by Gamine(f): 4:26pm On Mar 20, 2008
ive Always been amazed by planes.

Even though i know the whole aerodynamics thingy

i will watch in awe as a plane takes off and lands!

We used to have this LEGO plane and helicopter
quite big

i dont wanna fly one though shocked lipsrsealed

Love em!
Re: plane freaks by fotodaddy: 4:45pm On Mar 20, 2008
Gamine, you don come here again!!! grin

Its like you just love all things mechanical sha!! Well thats great!! To see a woman who like mechanical stuff.

Keep it up. Remeber what I told you, if you need specific info then ask me. There's also a very nice internet site www.howstuffworks.com you should check out.

Also if you like these things then you will flip over the RC model plance, helicopters trucks and cars. Just google them and see. Thats like the next level after a bike. cheesy
Re: plane freaks by Gamine(f): 4:50pm On Mar 20, 2008
Lol

im an Engineer afterall tongue

Anyways, im not too into it

i am just amazed at Mans ingenuity smiley
Re: plane freaks by Teejay07(m): 12:27am On Mar 21, 2008
robby,

I love watching planes too. Infact, I live in an area that is close to the airport. I watch planes take off and land for hours. Ihear all the sound they make. The acceleration and whining sound when they take off. The deceleartion and screech when they land. Its cool. I get see see all the planes, their markings e.t.c.
Re: plane freaks by Ivvie: 8:07pm On Mar 21, 2008
|
Re: plane freaks by Gamine(f): 9:02pm On Mar 22, 2008
@Ivvie

Hmm
im listening
Watching smiley
Re: plane freaks by Ivvie: 10:31pm On Mar 22, 2008
|
Re: plane freaks by Gamine(f): 8:20pm On Mar 23, 2008
Oh well.

One thing i do know is

Air Power rests at the apex of the first triad of victory,
for it combines Mobility, Flexibility, and Initiative.
Re: plane freaks by ofans(m): 10:40am On Mar 27, 2008
im an aircraft engineer, and i will be glad to explain any question you may have concerning aircraft, flight dynamics, stability etc
Re: plane freaks by Teejay07(m): 12:36am On Mar 28, 2008
ofans,

please start by explaining the principle that holds a plane up in the sky. Thus, negating the law of gravity. The venturri principle, or something of sort. I have read it somewhere before and could not understand the whole gibberish.
Re: plane freaks by ofans(m): 11:18am On Mar 28, 2008
@teejay07
hi, im not sure what your understanding is, but since you mentioned venturi principle i will assume that you are clued up with the basic principles.
like all things an aeroplane has weight, a force which always acts in a vertical direction towards the center of the earth. whilst the aeroplane is in level flight, the weight is balanced by the lift force, which is generated aerodynamically by the flow of air over the wings. the production of lift force by an aerofoil(wing) is explained by bernoulli's principle- A fluid in motion has energy: static pressure energy and dynamic pressure anergy(energy due to motion).Daniel benoulli showed that for an ideal fluid: total energy in a steady streamline flow remains constant ie presure energy (static)+ kinectic energy= constant total energy. the energy can change from one form to the other, but the total energy will remain thesame.if the pressure energy decreases( lower static pressure) then the kinectic energy must increase (higher velocity of flow)-high flow velocity gives a low static pressure'- also known as venturi effect.

if you cut an aircraft wing crossectionally, the section you will see is called an aerofoil. an aerofoil has a cambered surface. increasing the camber on the upper surface causes the airflow over it to accelerate more and to generate more lift at thesame angle of attack(since a higher velocity means a lower static pressure)

in a layman's term lift is generated by the air that travels over the wing, the wing is designed in a way that ensures that the air that travel on the top surface of the wing travel faster than the ones that flows under the wing. these differences in speed of airflow is the origin of the lift force.
hope this explains
Re: plane freaks by Teejay07(m): 8:48pm On Mar 28, 2008
ofans,

this should do for now. I am still trying to digest some of the points u made here.
Re: plane freaks by Yink99(m): 10:13pm On Mar 28, 2008
I love airplanes also. I can watch airplanes take off and land for hours at a time. I even have my kids loving airplanes also. I've studied different types of aircrafts through the years, i.e. 747's, 757's, 767's, 777's (my favorite), DC 10's, MD11's, MD 80's, A380, A330, A319, A320, DC9, 727's (my old favorite). With reservations, I also have to know what equipment the airline is using. I love airplanes, so the best online viewing of airplanes take offs and landings in the world is: www.flightlevel350.com

Yink99
Re: plane freaks by mohammedmuz: 12:47pm On Apr 16
I am aerophilic; keen interest in aircrafts.

(1) (Reply)

SOLD..........2005 NISSAN ALTIMA SL W/LEATHER / Toyota Corolla 2001 Model / Registered Infiniti Jeep For Sale N800k - (08161178354)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.