Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,248 members, 7,818,856 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:43 AM

Catholic Church Pulls Out Of CAN! - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Catholic Church Pulls Out Of CAN! (38522 Views)

Catholic Church Cautions El-Rufai Over Religious Bill / A List Of False Teachings In The Roman Catholic Church / Catholic Church Collapses In Enugu, Five Dead (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Catholic Church Pulls Out Of CAN! by stormm: 12:27pm On Jan 23, 2013
Monsignor Christopher Ajala, Administrator of Catholic Diocese of Abeokuta, has highlighted the reason the Catholic Church suspended its activities in the Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN), national body.

Speaking at a press conference to mark the 15th anniversary of the diocese in Abeokuta yesterday, Ajala declared that the Christian umbrella body was too close to government.

He alleged that the Pastor Ayo Oritsejafor-led CAN had derailed from the objectives of the body, adding that the Catholic Bishops Conference was not comfortable with the development, hence its decision to pull out.

His words: “The Catholic Church took their stand before the purchase or the aircraft was donated to him. But what the Catholic Bishops Conference is complaining about is about the way they are running the national CAN now that is not meeting the objectives and the goals of CAN and the forefathers of CAN.

“CAN is now being run as part of the government and we said no. Because they (government) will dictate to us what to do and they will not take our advice seriously. The Catholic Church decided to withdraw from the activities of CAN at national level; we are still part of the state. We made our stand clear in November, last year, and by December, the man bought a jet. I don’t know how he got it but the president was there on that day the jet was delivered to him.

“So, what we are saying is that our religious leaders should be honest, upright and they should also be the conscience of this nation. If you are bought, the masses of this country are finished. If you can use money to buy our religious leaders, then there is no hope for the common man. That is the Catholic Church’s stand. We are supposed to speak for the people to correct the wrongs in the society and assist every government to know the will of God for them and we still stand by that.”

Ajala equally warned that the emergence of a Northern president in the 2015 general election may not be the ultimate solution to the Boko Haram insurgency in Nigeria.

“You mentioned that if a Northern president is elected that this will stop, I doubt it. It is very clear now that it’s not the northern leaders that are responsible. If an Emir could be attacked, the Sultan also could be attacked. So, it’s not just a northern leader leading us; that’s not the issue. This group has its own objectives and we should be united in fighting them. Northerners and southerners should be united in fighting this evil.”

http://www.mothertessie.com/news/pulled-can-catholic-church/

68 Likes

Re: Catholic Church Pulls Out Of CAN! by pictures: 1:24pm On Jan 23, 2013
Oritsejafor was given a jet to make his work easier at his level ,I don't
know the main reason why these people are pulling out of CAN. Nobody has showed
evidence that the jet was solely bought by the govt. Oritsejafor
has single handedly lambasted Boko Haram without fear and risking his life ,he
should be highly commended for standing for Northern christians.
Okay , they want him to carry placard and be condemning govt all the time like
Bakare. Show me the difference between now and all past govts. None.
Now that it is south's turn to rule Nigeria, they are pulling out of CAN.
If there are issues with Oritsejafor's style of leadership ,
there are proper avenue of dialogue within the ministers in CAN to settle their grievances.

53 Likes 1 Share

Re: Catholic Church Pulls Out Of CAN! by ijawkid(m): 1:30pm On Jan 23, 2013
grin

3 Likes

Re: Catholic Church Pulls Out Of CAN! by italo: 2:18pm On Jan 23, 2013
@ Pictures.

The Catholic Church doesn't like the way CAN is being run and has suspended their activities with CAN. They are not being confrontational, they simply don't want to be a part of it at the national level for now.

What is your problem with that?

If you think CAN is okay the way it is, then why don't you ignore their decision and carry on with the other thousands of "churches" that are part of it?

115 Likes

Re: Catholic Church Pulls Out Of CAN! by goldfish80(m): 2:21pm On Jan 23, 2013
CATHOLIC. FOR. LIFE!!!

69 Likes

Re: Catholic Church Pulls Out Of CAN! by caesaraba(m): 2:22pm On Jan 23, 2013
Ah! Finally. Thank God!

Proudly Roman Catholic.

32 Likes

Re: Catholic Church Pulls Out Of CAN! by Kzinne: 2:23pm On Jan 23, 2013
Jonathan or Abacha? Who would u pick?
Re: Catholic Church Pulls Out Of CAN! by bluejeff(m): 2:24pm On Jan 23, 2013
Nice move.

2 Likes

Re: Catholic Church Pulls Out Of CAN! by begwong: 2:26pm On Jan 23, 2013
pictures: Oritsejafor was given a jet to make his work easier at his level ,I don't
there are proper avenue of dialogue within the ministers in CAN to settle their grievances.
which work to be made easier?
Globe trotting around the world?

15 Likes

Re: Catholic Church Pulls Out Of CAN! by IYANGBALI: 2:27pm On Jan 23, 2013
caesaraba: Ah! Finally. Thank God!

Proudly Roman Catholic.
Glory to Jesus jare

10 Likes

Re: Catholic Church Pulls Out Of CAN! by IleIfe2(m): 2:27pm On Jan 23, 2013
Kzinne: Jonathan or Abacha? Who would u pick?

people that criticise Jonathan don't go missing. so, Jonathan for me. kiss kiss

9 Likes

Re: Catholic Church Pulls Out Of CAN! by vizboy(m): 2:27pm On Jan 23, 2013
I stand for there back jare

1 Like

Re: Catholic Church Pulls Out Of CAN! by IYANGBALI: 2:27pm On Jan 23, 2013
begwong:
which work to be made easier?
Globe trotting around the world?
don't mind the hediot

3 Likes

Re: Catholic Church Pulls Out Of CAN! by fankasibe: 2:27pm On Jan 23, 2013
Good idea, i think BOTTLE is bigger than CAN.

5 Likes

Re: Catholic Church Pulls Out Of CAN! by chyseth(m): 2:28pm On Jan 23, 2013
sincerely i dont think this is the right thing to do. we re already losing the battle if we can not fight from a common front. i think this is more of personal concerns that can be addressed in an executive meeting with all concerned, unless such has been done and it did not yield any positive result. in that case to your tent oh isreal

3 Likes

Re: Catholic Church Pulls Out Of CAN! by intelligen(m): 2:28pm On Jan 23, 2013
How does dat improve d living standards of d common man on d street...?jst asking o

2 Likes

Re: Catholic Church Pulls Out Of CAN! by Pygru: 2:28pm On Jan 23, 2013

11 Likes

Re: Catholic Church Pulls Out Of CAN! by devour129: 2:28pm On Jan 23, 2013
I AM A CATHOLIC YES I AM,AM PROUD TO BE A CATHOLIC.............................dancing azonto waiting for Anglicans to come tru(was born an Anglican but married into catholic)tired of all these get rich quick pple

15 Likes

Re: Catholic Church Pulls Out Of CAN! by EmmaUG: 2:29pm On Jan 23, 2013
IYA NGBALI: Glory to Jesus jare
honour to mary

47 Likes

Re: Catholic Church Pulls Out Of CAN! by EmmaUG: 2:29pm On Jan 23, 2013
IYA NGBALI: Glory to Jesus jare
Honor to mary

22 Likes

Re: Catholic Church Pulls Out Of CAN! by Eneze1(f): 2:29pm On Jan 23, 2013
hmmmmmmmmmm
Re: Catholic Church Pulls Out Of CAN! by peckhamboi: 2:29pm On Jan 23, 2013
Well done to the Catholic Church, one of the only few true churches left in Nigeria.

21 Likes

Re: Catholic Church Pulls Out Of CAN! by Freezle(m): 2:30pm On Jan 23, 2013
i really dont know what to say about them pulling out so i keep shut in this crucial time

2 Likes

Re: Catholic Church Pulls Out Of CAN! by cleric(m): 2:32pm On Jan 23, 2013
I am not a Roman Catholic but I totally support their decision. It is nice to know that a church still knows what is right amidst misguided decision makers.

28 Likes

Re: Catholic Church Pulls Out Of CAN! by daywatcher: 2:33pm On Jan 23, 2013
Oh shit...does the pope know about this?

1 Like

Re: Catholic Church Pulls Out Of CAN! by Pygru: 2:33pm On Jan 23, 2013
peckhamboi: Well done to the Catholic Church, one of the only few true churches left in Nigeria.

em emmm...
Re: Catholic Church Pulls Out Of CAN! by IYANGBALI: 2:33pm On Jan 23, 2013
italo: @ Pictures.

The Catholic Church doesn't like the way CAN is being run and has suspended their activities with CAN. They are not being confrontational, they simply don't want to be a part of it at the national level for now.

What is your problem with that?

If you think CAN is okay the way it is, then why don't you ignore their decision and carry on with the other thousands of "churches" that are part of it?
don't mind them,I don't know why some people here always like to bring sentiment into their arguements,the catholic church as far as this issue is concerned has taken the right decision,take it or leave CAN under Orisa je efo has been politicised and that is very very baaaaaaad.

9 Likes

Re: Catholic Church Pulls Out Of CAN! by Andrew3(m): 2:33pm On Jan 23, 2013
Freezle: i really dont know what to say about them pulling out so i keep shut in this crucial time

Pulling out of CAN means they aint christians. cool

5 Likes

Re: Catholic Church Pulls Out Of CAN! by tunapawizzy: 2:33pm On Jan 23, 2013
pictures: Oritsejafor was given a jet to make his work easier at his level ,I don't
who be this mumu

4 Likes

Re: Catholic Church Pulls Out Of CAN! by nagoma(m): 2:33pm On Jan 23, 2013
I have always had the confidence that the true chistians will raise their hands and voices in the end. The present CAN is the religious wing of the PDP as indicated by the catholic church. The Anglicans should not delay. They can't live with untruth.

7 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Female Pastor Ends Prayer As Member Asks For Anointing To Open Own Church / 2019 Election: Prophet Joshua Iginla Issues Fresh Prophetic Warning! / Prophetess Mummy B: Bobrisky Should Repent Or Be Incurably Sick, God Warns

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.