Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,008 members, 7,956,744 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 05:59 PM

Rhodiesworld With Yet Another Star Chat With Ime Essien (okon - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Rhodiesworld With Yet Another Star Chat With Ime Essien (okon (1055 Views)

Pictures Of Ime Bishop's Wife And Daughter / Ime Bishop Shares Lovely Family Photos / Ime Bishop Umoh A.K.A Okon, Adorable Wife And Daughter (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Rhodiesworld With Yet Another Star Chat With Ime Essien (okon by rhodiesworld(f): 10:58pm On Jan 23, 2013
Exclusive Interview with Okon-Lagos Star Actor…Ime Essien Umoh (A.K.A ) “Bishop”

RW : Who is Bishop ( THE REAL YOU )?

Bishop: * laugh* There is nothing "unreal" about me anyways. My formal name is Ime Essien Umoh. I am a Philosopher and an actor.

RW : You act so ignorant in your movies when I know you are a well informed university graduate and a man of great exposure in modern city life. What's the secret?

Bishop: For me, it's the grace of God. It is God and God alone that blesses the works of one's hands. The secret for me is God. Talents apart, you need God because you may be sooooo funny but you don`t get endeared to the hearts of the people.

RW: Very true...When was your first movie and at what point did you discover comedy is the way for you to entertain better...?

Bishop: I knew way back from childhood that I have a good sense of humour. I was indeed the comedian of my Primary School. People got electrified in laughter whenever and in whatever I said. My first movie was "Dance In The Forest"

RW: Do you sometimes have to bring in lines into your script and say things naturally your own way or everything you say is always according to script?

Bishop: I get a movie script, read the lines and when it does not appeal to my sense of humour, I tailor it to suit what will make me laugh. I think my sense of humour may be a universal yard-stick for measuring humour, hence that.

RW: Moving-on, If you are given two scripts, one for a role of CEO in a company with lines that will have you speak good English and the other a comedy character, which will you go for?

Bishop: The comedy script.

RW: Your fans will like to know your reason for selecting comedy script.

Bishop: Because it's all about them, they appreciate me more when I brew humour.

RW: Performing in school back in the days and when you had your first tape-rolling action! Two different experiences, how was it facing the camera for the first time?

Bishop: I had no issues with facing the camera even as a professional!

RW: You have done a lot of movies, which one in your opinion do your fans relate to you with the most?

Bishop: Okon Lagos and before then it was Uyai ( an indigenous movie in Ibibio language) and my character was "Cafenol"

RW: Now that you mention Okon-Lagos, you just took the name out of my mouth because that is one of your most talked about movie. What do you as the actor that played the character "Okon" see as to what makes the character very popular?

Bishop: The character is popular simply because it has been endeared to the hearts of many. Bishop as an actor breathed in life into the character of "Okon" and made it very nice and appreciable. Okon is endeared to many across the world because it has redifined humour in the light of the use of Akwa Ibom language as a yardstick. It is a pointer to the fact that the Warri kind of comedy, nice though, can favourably swim in competition with comedy or humour which is made in Akwa Ibom.

RW: Going into character when speaking english and you in a character were you speak your native language, which of the two brings out your best?

Bishop: Both. I attempt communication in English, the English way and Ibibio, the Ibibio way.

RW: Well said! Which of the known directors would you say know how to bring out the best in you?

Bishop: Desmond Elliot and Lancelot Imasuen

RW: Emem Isong, a well known movie producer in Nigeria, I observed is one producer that has handled a lot of movies that you featured. Any special reason why you work with her most times and how would you rate her professional input in any production ?

Bishop: Emem brought me to limelight. I work with her because she's very professional.

FAN ZONE: Your fan from London sent in this comment by name DEBBiE CUDJOE » "Bishop I have a comment and question. I really like your movies, especially Okon-Lagos. It was hilarious, well, I didn't understand the language but was able to figure out what the movie was all about. I want to say keep it up and hope to see more of your movies too"

Bishop: Hello Debbie. I appreciate your being my fan.

Now Question from Debbie in London: » BISHOP, how do you cope with your normal life and screen activities please I will like to know ?

Bishop: Hi Debbie, my life is dual..*laugh*. The life I lead on set and on screen is thinly de marketed. I mean there is a thin or thick line depending on how you perceive it, the demarcation between me on set and off-set me.

RW: We understand you were in Jara studio some days ago as their first star guest for 2013. That is an indication of a very busy schedule having to shuttle between movie location and some exclusive interview. How do you manage your time in bringing your daily activities on a balanced scale?

Bishop: I do balance my life and schedules. You have to device a means of striking a balance between your professional and domestic life, else you'll fail.

RW: What are the positive changes you would love to see in the Nigerian movie industry in 2013 as a key player?

Bishop: A marriage of Hollywood and Nollywood. I want to see high quality movies with visual and sound advancement. Also to see nominations and winnings of Oscar in Nollywood films.

RW: In your Opinion, does the professional acting fee currently paid by movie makers really go down well with you actors. What are the changes you will like to see in that area?

Bishop: It does not go down well because if it does, an actor can conveniently do two or three movies a year. Bumper pay packages that can make nollywood actors truly live the celebrity life, very comfortably in the strictest sense of it.

RW: Some people are of the opinion that, the Nigeria music video quality is of international standard than what the movie industry is currently having. What's your reaction to this claim?

Bishop: It's not far away from the truth. Revolution has long hit the music industry and movie is yet to catch the fire.

RW: We have officially come to the end of this exclusive interview with RhodiesWorld. What should your fans around the world expect from you this year regarding your movies?

Bishop: For my teeming fans, first of all I want them to know I love them all. They are the reason I'm here and a celebrity. As far as satisfying and continually thrilling them is concerned, where I walk, I'll run and where I ran, I'll fly. I owe them a lot and in whatever I do. It’s all about them.

RW: We would like you to sign out by giving your fans names of at least 2 of your latest movies that will thrill them and also serve as your autograph to all your fans around the world.

Bishop: With all pleasure and in no particular order ; Okon Goes To School, In the Cupboard and A wish.

RW: Its been a pleasure chatting with you. From all of us in RhodiesWorld.com, we say thank you for your time and we look forward to having you on our star chat in the future ...

http://www.rhodiesworld.com/index.php/personalities/item/560-rhodiesworld-with-yet-another-star-chat-with-ime-essien-okon-lagos

(1) (Reply)

Graphic Photo: How Charly Boy's Cousin, Was Murdered / Drake Leads BET Awards Nominations With 12 Nods / Dr Sid Proposes To Long Time Girlfriend Simi Osomo In Venice.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.