Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,216 members, 7,818,731 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:21 PM

Text Message Across Networks To Cost N4 - NCC - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Text Message Across Networks To Cost N4 - NCC (9273 Views)

RIM's upcoming flagship phone, Blackberry Z10 To Cost £480 (Approx. N119,000) / Cheapest Call Rate Across Networks / Airtel Slashes Call Tariff To All Networks To N12 Per Minute (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Text Message Across Networks To Cost N4 - NCC by Maxymilliano(m): 10:13pm On Jan 24, 2013
The NCC announced the directive on Thursday.

Any person subscribed to any of the Nigerian GSM networks must not be charged more than N4 for short message service, sms, sent to other networks, the Nigerian Communications Commission, NCC , said on Thursday.

The NCC set a price cap of N4 per message for all domestic Off-Net Short Messaging Service, SMS, with effect from February 5.
Josephine Amuwa, the Director, Legal and Regulatory Services of the Commission made this known in a statement made available in Lagos.

Ms. Amuwa said that this had been communicated to the operators since January 3, adding that it would, however, not place a price cap on international SMS.

“There was a general recognition that the cost of SMS is too high, especially in view of the interconnection rate of N1.02 for SMS as determined by the Commission in 2009.

“In accordance with the powers conferred on the Commission under Sections 4 and Chapter V11 of the Nigerian Communications Act (NCA), 2003, the Commission hereby sets a price cap of N4 for Off-net SMS.

“The new rate shall be implemented within 30 days from the date of the directive,” Ms. Amuwa said.

She said the operators had proposed a price cap ranging between N5 to N10 per message for Off-Net SMS.

The Director said that the Commission would not set a cap for international SMS for now, since interconnect rates for international SMS were outside its control.

According to her, international SMS are terminated through international carrier service providers in various jurisdictions.

She said that the considerations were based on the interest of striking a balance between sustaining operators’ profitability and ensuring consumer satisfaction.

Ms. Amuwa said that the Commission would monitor compliance by operators, adding that failure would result to sanctions provided by Section 111 of the NCA 2003.

NAN

http://premiumtimesng.com/news/117030-no-text-message-across-nigerian-networks-must-cost-more-than-n4-ncc.html

2 Likes

Re: Text Message Across Networks To Cost N4 - NCC by onatisi(m): 11:33pm On Jan 24, 2013
this is a good and welcome development

1 Like

Re: Text Message Across Networks To Cost N4 - NCC by braine(m): 11:58pm On Jan 24, 2013
Awesome. Now I'll stop avoiding sending SMSes to that chic with the Glo number grin
But who sends SMSes these days?
Re: Text Message Across Networks To Cost N4 - NCC by Maxymilliano(m): 12:49am On Jan 25, 2013
Great news, for once NCC is doing more than just collecting fines.

2 Likes

Re: Text Message Across Networks To Cost N4 - NCC by ebamma(m): 6:51am On Jan 25, 2013
Instead of telling them to reduce their call tariffs,who gives a damn about sms this days

1 Like

Re: Text Message Across Networks To Cost N4 - NCC by mikeeze(m): 6:53am On Jan 25, 2013
braine: Awesome. But who sends SMSes these days?
I do

11 Likes

Re: Text Message Across Networks To Cost N4 - NCC by FlyboyZee: 6:53am On Jan 25, 2013
Na now dem dey wake up?
After all these bad sharp guys (telcos) don obtain belleful na im dem come dey cut down on prices.
I go vex o.

1 Like

Re: Text Message Across Networks To Cost N4 - NCC by Flye: 6:56am On Jan 25, 2013
So the interconnection rate is as low as N1.03k nawa o and we pay as high as N7.00 to N10 this peaple are realy cheating us. Any NCC good step be planning for call charge cap.

1 Like

Re: Text Message Across Networks To Cost N4 - NCC by Nobody: 6:56am On Jan 25, 2013
I just hope these service providers will make these SMSes to all networks not only to customers in their network
Re: Text Message Across Networks To Cost N4 - NCC by Smartjeezy(m): 6:56am On Jan 25, 2013
Nice one...
Re: Text Message Across Networks To Cost N4 - NCC by hydoo(m): 6:57am On Jan 25, 2013
Omg instead of call tarriff ur busy on sms,,,I blame jonathan sha
Re: Text Message Across Networks To Cost N4 - NCC by babarazy: 6:57am On Jan 25, 2013
I dont send text message. I prefer calling.
Re: Text Message Across Networks To Cost N4 - NCC by fittty(m): 6:57am On Jan 25, 2013
Great!

2 Likes

Re: Text Message Across Networks To Cost N4 - NCC by jpcomrade: 6:58am On Jan 25, 2013
This is long overdue, same initiative is expected on internet and voice calls,these network providers are very happy to operate in Nigeria because of porous economic policies of government and indifference to citizens' welfare.

1 Like

Re: Text Message Across Networks To Cost N4 - NCC by alexy147(m): 6:59am On Jan 25, 2013
Nice one though but we look anxiously forward to making new regulations for call tarrifs..

1 Like

Re: Text Message Across Networks To Cost N4 - NCC by Rooneyboy(m): 7:00am On Jan 25, 2013
I smell something fishy here , seems the network providers hv stopped dropping egunje hence the sudden annoyance.

Gradually ,gradually things go dey better for we country.

1 Like

Re: Text Message Across Networks To Cost N4 - NCC by Onlinebiz2012: 7:00am On Jan 25, 2013
[img]http://learnweek.com/?r=trimmy[/img] Thats very good of them [img]http://learnweek.com/?r=agbeniga[/img]
Re: Text Message Across Networks To Cost N4 - NCC by Paulfish: 7:00am On Jan 25, 2013
e go bam 0..
Re: Text Message Across Networks To Cost N4 - NCC by miteolu(m): 7:01am On Jan 25, 2013
NCC should work on data plan & improvement of internet. All these 3G,4G na lie.

5 Likes

Re: Text Message Across Networks To Cost N4 - NCC by simongonner: 7:04am On Jan 25, 2013
haha so hapi,na nw i go show dat grl say am caring..i go full her inbox wit testis sori texts

2 Likes

Re: Text Message Across Networks To Cost N4 - NCC by Toktee(m): 7:05am On Jan 25, 2013
I go see wetin mtn go do now,all criminals

1 Like

Re: Text Message Across Networks To Cost N4 - NCC by Toktee(m): 7:06am On Jan 25, 2013
I go see wetin mtn go do now,all these criminals
Re: Text Message Across Networks To Cost N4 - NCC by hassymo5(m): 7:06am On Jan 25, 2013
NCC why go for SMS,, pls na CALLS wuna suppose takle!!!!
Re: Text Message Across Networks To Cost N4 - NCC by braine(m): 7:06am On Jan 25, 2013
miteolu: NCC should work on data plan & improvement of internet. All these 3G,4G na lie.

Where in the post did they talk about 3G and 4G?
Re: Text Message Across Networks To Cost N4 - NCC by tomsongz(m): 7:07am On Jan 25, 2013
Who iz responsible 4 da regulation of ashaaoww prices,we need there help o coz as at last year
1 round=600
2 round=1100
Express(all night)=5000
but ryt now it has been doubled or even tripled
1 round=1000
2 round=2000
Express(all night)=7500
So we r beging gudluck 2 pls setup a pannel 2 look into da mata

1 Like

Re: Text Message Across Networks To Cost N4 - NCC by docjuli(m): 7:08am On Jan 25, 2013
Well done NCC. Hahaha, soon all these bulk sms vendors will start crying; it was cyber cafe operators.

NCC how far with that fine from GSM owners due to bad network? Pls share with us after all na peson wey wia shoe know wia e dey pain am.

Dear NCC pls, I have been charged at each time extra 2 seconds. pls monitor calls and thei charges.

cheers.
Re: Text Message Across Networks To Cost N4 - NCC by kpozite(m): 7:09am On Jan 25, 2013
Just in time for valentine. But I prefer reduction in call tariffs. Is NCC afraid of these guys (telecoms)?

1 Like

Re: Text Message Across Networks To Cost N4 - NCC by Ola0711: 7:10am On Jan 25, 2013
hydoo: Omg instead of call tarriff ur busy on sms,,,I blame jonathan sha
u are a big fool..blame jona 4 what...i know when ur father dies u wld blame jonathan..ode lasan

3 Likes

Re: Text Message Across Networks To Cost N4 - NCC by Koljos(m): 7:10am On Jan 25, 2013
Maki dem 5n sometin do wit etisalat, na 50k dey stil dey charge per sec, on dre easy clip tariff. Nd 30k to etisalat

1 Like

Re: Text Message Across Networks To Cost N4 - NCC by mafioso47(m): 7:10am On Jan 25, 2013
hydoo: Omg instead of call tarriff ur busy on sms,,,I blame jonathan sha
you blame Jonathan Nawa to you ooo
Re: Text Message Across Networks To Cost N4 - NCC by mrkels(m): 7:13am On Jan 25, 2013
They tried, but they should have done this when millions of nigerians still use the sms feature. Its no news now that more than half the people with smartphones do not call more than twice a day and some do not text at all or do it 1 in a whole month unlike before. Nice move though, I hope they do more, expecially to foriegn companies coming to exploit nigerians like mtn. The right body should also open a case file on Dstv lipsrsealed

3 Likes

Re: Text Message Across Networks To Cost N4 - NCC by Nobody: 7:15am On Jan 25, 2013
tomsongz: Who iz responsible 4 da regulation of ashaaoww prices,we need there help o coz as at last year
1 round=600
2 round=1100
Express(all night)=5000
but ryt now it has been doubled or even tripled
1 round=1000
2 round=2000
Express(all night)=7500
So we r beging gudluck 2 pls setup a pannel 2 look into da mata

Maybe they now pay VAT to the ministry of women affairs. grin

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Tecno Phones With 3GB & 4GB RAM In Nigeria - Latest & Specs / 9 Years And The 9 Factors to Indicate 9mobile May Fly High / How To Resume UC Browser 'link Expired' Downloads

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.