Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,225 members, 7,822,153 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 07:26 AM

CSS Cheats And Tricks(Learn and Teach) - Webmasters (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / CSS Cheats And Tricks(Learn and Teach) (3730 Views)

Joomla And Drupal Users Only Come And Teach/learn / Latest Free Browsing Cheats / Wordpress Help Zone - Tutorials, Answers, and Tricks. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: CSS Cheats And Tricks(Learn and Teach) by adewasco2k(m): 5:06pm On Feb 04, 2013
adewasco2k: I just want to add something, every single website i try to build(just practicing) eve if i manage to get it as i want on the front end...the back end is always very ugly wink if anybody view the source they will be like who is this learner sad i am still learning i know but i wish to get my codes organized and fine.
i am try to upload a page i did few day back for you guys to see that at least i am learning fast....will update the post when i upload it....just a page though. thanks guys.

updated
see this links:
http://wasconet.com/learn/learning2.html
http://wasconet.com/learn/learning.html

and mind you guys my site is just wordpress with a theme. i did absolutely little coding on it.
Re: CSS Cheats And Tricks(Learn and Teach) by adewasco2k(m): 5:14pm On Feb 04, 2013
GraphicsPlus:

Positioning can really be confusing to every beginner. Relative positioning simply takes its position from the parent container. But absolute positioning takes its position from your browser window. For instance, if you position something absolutely and do ctl -, u wil discover that the thing wil just jump out of the page and position itself at the edge of ur browser window.

So if u must use absolute positioning, then u must position the parent of that thing to relative.

With positioning, u can use-
top:2px;
bottom:2px;
or
right:2px;
left:2px;

U can use positioning to position your div, image or anything to any place in your web page.

You are a good teacher bro. the guys that i have always met on this will always give me complicated answers....i think i so much understand it now. that means if i keep a DIV inside another DIV and i give the inner DIV a positioning of absolute, then it can even get out of the parent DIV. cool
Re: CSS Cheats And Tricks(Learn and Teach) by DualCore1: 6:52am On Feb 05, 2013
What does it profit a CSS tutorial to start up without explaining the "box model" concept? Is that not the heart of CSS? sad

Nice work, keep it up smiley
Re: CSS Cheats And Tricks(Learn and Teach) by antontech(m): 7:44am On Feb 05, 2013
learning css too.pls the gurus can also contribute important characters in css pls....
Re: CSS Cheats And Tricks(Learn and Teach) by GraphicsPlus(m): 7:57am On Feb 05, 2013
^What do u mean by important characters in css? Can u be more specific? Becos every thing in css seems to be important.
Re: CSS Cheats And Tricks(Learn and Teach) by ace1(m): 4:43pm On Feb 05, 2013
@GraphicsPlus, @Dual_Core and @yawa-ti-de;

* How can i center a full-sized background image and make it responsive at the same time. I normally do

background: url() #color no-repeat;
background-position: center top;

* I'm currently working on a responsive site now using grids with CSS media queries for 1024px, 768px and 480px screens. Since @media queries only work with browsers that support CSS3, how do I achieve same on older browsers that don't support CSS Media queries?
Re: CSS Cheats And Tricks(Learn and Teach) by yawatide(f): 6:37pm On Feb 05, 2013
1) This is a site that I always refer to, for responsive web design (RWD) inspiration: http://mashable.com/

2) Responsive Design and background images: http://elliotjaystocks.com/blog/better-background-images-for-responsive-web-design/ - I will probably be learning from you as I have just started reading up on RWD. I am currently reading up on OOCSS. After I am done, I will move on to RWD.

3) Given that mobile device browsers are generally webkit (with the exception of windows phone...but who cares for them, right? tongue ), I would say you have browsers that support CSS3 covered.

Good luck, and do share what you've learned.
Re: CSS Cheats And Tricks(Learn and Teach) by GraphicsPlus(m): 7:56pm On Feb 05, 2013
To get a full perfect background image that will cover the whole body, do this.

body {background:url(bg.jpg) no-repeat;
background-size: cover;}

But since 'background-size' is css3, u hav to debug it. So,
-moz-background-size:cover;
-webkit-background-size:cover;
background-size:cover;

When u are styling with @media queries, do this:

body {background:url(bg.jpg) no-repeat center center;
-moz-background-size:100%;
-webkit-background-size:100%;
background-size:100%;}

Make sure that u convert all ur pixels to percentage in @media query. change padding, margins and widths from px to %. Set heights to auto. Change ur font-size from px to em.

Go somewhere in ur css and do this:
img {max-width:100%;}
This will make ur images to render at whatever size they want, as long as they ar narrower than their containing element. But if they happen to be wider than their container, then the 'max-width:100%;' directive forces the images' widths to match the width of their container.
Re: CSS Cheats And Tricks(Learn and Teach) by ace1(m): 10:37pm On Feb 05, 2013
yawa-ti-de:
1) This is a site that I always refer to, for responsive web design (RWD) inspiration: http://mashable.com/

2) Responsive Design and background images: http://elliotjaystocks.com/blog/better-background-images-for-responsive-web-design/ - I will probably be learning from you as I have just started reading up on RWD. I am currently reading up on OOCSS. After I am done, I will move on to RWD.

3) Given that mobile device browsers are generally webkit (with the exception of windows phone...but who cares for them, right? tongue ), I would say you have browsers that support CSS3 covered.

Good luck, and do share what you've learned.

Thanks for the links you dropped, I'll look them up. I'm also reading up stuff too. I'm using a collection of css codes from http://www.responsivegridsystem.com for this project. it allows up to 12 responsive column grids.the one from http://responsive.gs allows up to 24 column grids. I just take what I want and edit the media queries to fit

GraphicsPlus: To get a full perfect background image that will cover the whole body, do this.

body {background:url(bg.jpg) no-repeat;
background-size: cover;}

But since 'background-size' is css3, u hav to debug it. So,
-moz-background-size:cover;
-webkit-background-size:cover;
background-size:cover;

When u are styling with @media queries, do this:

body {background:url(bg.jpg) no-repeat center center;
-moz-background-size:100%;
-webkit-background-size:100%;
background-size:100%;}

Make sure that u convert all ur pixels to percentage in @media query. change padding, margins and widths from px to %. Set heights to auto. Change ur font-size from px to em.

Go somewhere in ur css and do this:
img {max-width:100%;}
This will make ur images to render at whatever size they want, as long as they ar narrower than their containing element. But if they happen to be wider than their container, then the 'max-width:100%;' directive forces the images' widths to match the width of their container.

Thank you very much for your input. I appreciate it. Any need adding height: auto to the img class?
Re: CSS Cheats And Tricks(Learn and Teach) by X3n(m): 3:05pm On Feb 06, 2013
this is actually a wonderful thread. I've bin in d webdesign field 4 some yrs now. I must confess CSS is so powerful nd sweet.
Re: CSS Cheats And Tricks(Learn and Teach) by X3n(m): 3:14pm On Feb 06, 2013
I tink we shld focus more on Responsive Web Designing. I'm still a novice in dat aspect, but 4rm d little I've researched I tink its based on usin % instead of pixcels. As I research further, I'll share in this thread nd I suggest dat any1 who knws more abt it shld also enlighthen us.
I will lyk 2 add a lil tin 2 d xplanation of relative positioning, wen u relatively position an element, nd use d 'top' 'left' right' 'down', d element will tke its position relative to the normal flow of d page.
Re: CSS Cheats And Tricks(Learn and Teach) by adexsimply(m): 2:41pm On Feb 27, 2013
X3n: I tink we shld focus more on Responsive Web Designing. I'm still a novice in dat aspect, but 4rm d little I've researched I tink its based on usin % instead of pixcels. As I research further, I'll share in this thread nd I suggest dat any1 who knws more abt it shld also enlighthen us.
I will lyk 2 add a lil tin 2 d xplanation of relative positioning, wen u relatively position an element, nd use d 'top' 'left' right' 'down', d element will tke its position relative to the normal flow of d page.
You Share What you know and we follow
Re: CSS Cheats And Tricks(Learn and Teach) by veetubes: 8:39am On Mar 29, 2013
adexsimply: You Share What you know and we follow

you can use a css3 generator to generate your css styles without worrying much about css
Re: CSS Cheats And Tricks(Learn and Teach) by jeffsmith1: 12:49pm On Mar 29, 2013
wow this is hilarious and simply amazing indeed cheesy
Re: CSS Cheats And Tricks(Learn and Teach) by Nmeri17: 9:39am On Jan 29, 2015
adexsimply:
i'll just list some common ones

1)Floated layout misbehavior
2)Centering a layout e.g margin:auto;
3)it totally ignores top-margin if compatibility mode is turned on
4)staircase effect..i.e using <ul>,<li> for navigation
5)inabilty to have elements with small heights
6) at times Border-Radius does not work at all.etc
I experienced ALL of this and even thought there was a problem with my code. very very very frustrating angry wondering how I can rectify it?? sad

that 3D text effect seems nice shocked but its too time consuming. rather stick to using graphics softwares cool

(1) (2) (Reply)

40,000 Page Views Earning $30 With Adsense Is It Right / Good Dating And Group Chat Scripts / 5 Simple Steps To Choose A Domain Name For Your Blog

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.