Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,786 members, 7,810,049 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:22 PM

The Ways Of A Bini(edo) - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Ways Of A Bini(edo) (21443 Views)

"Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake / Similarities Between Yoruba And Bini (edo) Dancers / Is This Really A Display Of A Bini [edo] Or A Yoruba Cultural Attire? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Ways Of A Bini(edo) by bokohalal(m): 12:50am On Dec 28, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

True. While unable to speak the language I know some aspects of the Bini culture through books and what my parents and relatives told me. I know for a fact that Binis have identify clans within them based on their greeting, usually from the father's side. I will talk more on this. A question though: Attimes I greet my maternal relatives (they greet 'lamogun') with my paternal side's greeting ('lavbieze'), is this wrong ?
That is the right thing to do. You should not greet your maternal relatives at any time with their greeting. You only greet your father's greeting to everyother Edo person way older than you. If a married woman then your husband's and the children of that marriage logically follow suit. It is not however unusual to find little OGUOMWANDIAS, who due to impression, greeting like their benefactor. They normally should greet their birth family greeting if different from the benefactor's. It makes for better integration into the family. They however revert to their natural greeting on return.

1 Like

Re: The Ways Of A Bini(edo) by truthseeker777: 12:30am On Dec 29, 2013
Wa dor mo o!!! I know this thread has been idle for a while. I need sound feedback. What will you advice us whose State of Origin is Benin and we don't know how to speak it; should we continue the generation of non-speaking binis by marrying outside the state, or should we look for a bini-speaking spouse to bridge this gap. Like in my case, Dad is Benin, Mum is Yoruba, born and brought up in Lagos (now u get the picture), the few Benin lines I know are my personal effort undecided (Hey! Wen commenting, don't blame my Popsi o) ... Just imagine, I know sabi speak bini, I come go marry from East or North, I don dilute the next generation of binis. Thanks in advance for your kind contributions. This is my very first post on Nairaland so be nice to me. I wish Nairaland has Sheke or water to pour me.

2 Likes

Re: The Ways Of A Bini(edo) by rabzy: 12:24pm On Dec 30, 2013
truthseeker777: Wa dor mo o!!! I know this thread has been idle for a while. I need sound feedback. What will you advice us whose State of Origin is Benin and we don't know how to speak it; should we continue the generation of non-speaking binis by marrying outside the state, or should we look for a bini-speaking spouse to bridge this gap. Like in my case, Dad is Benin, Mum is Yoruba, born and brought up in Lagos (now u get the picture), the few Benin lines I know are my personal effort undecided (Hey! Wen commenting, don't blame my Popsi o) ... Just imagine, I know sabi speak bini, I come go marry from East or North, I don dilute the next generation of binis. Thanks in advance for your kind contributions. This is my very first post on Nairaland so be nice to me. I wish Nairaland has Sheke or water to pour me.

Who to marry is a personal decision, i believe you should marry someone that would give you happiness and build a good home with, where he comes from is immaterial. Both my parents are Esan and i married a yoruba girl whose mother is from Imo. I speak Esan and i speak yoruba fluently too, my baby cant talk yet but would most likely speak English better than any other language, she would understand yoruba but most likely not speak it well and she would probably not understand or speak Esan at all.
I based these assumptions on present circumstances, if i want to make her speak my language, then she would have to go and live with my parents and am not sure i would do that.

So Societal dynamics has made all cultures lose a bit of themselves and take in others, minorities like us are worse off in this aspect.
Re: The Ways Of A Bini(edo) by bokohalal(m): 12:47pm On Dec 31, 2013
NRI PRIEST:

But do you have yam deities,yam legends,yam chieftaincy titles? I wanna know how deep yam culture is in Benin. Like in Anambra,a huge yam barn is an evidence of wealth. A woman doesn't go into a barn and you can't go in there at night. We also have titles given to people for theeir success in yam farming,like Ezeoba,diji,okotalukwe,olua olie.

The Edos do not worship food( this is not meant as a derogation of those that so do). A huge yam barn in any society will be viewed as a sign of wealth. The issue of yam being more respected in Edoland,than other crops,, is the uses to which it is put in worshipping our imported gods. Also, yam harvest is celebrated during the UGIE EMA ORHO ( not IGUE,per Uyiredia). The AKABA festival is performed by many Edo communities during this period.
Not all yam specie come to maturity at the same time. My understanding is that a particular yam is preferred during the festival.
Re: The Ways Of A Bini(edo) by OdenigboAroli(m): 7:05pm On Dec 31, 2013
bokohalal:

The Edos do not worship food( this is not meant as a derogation on those that so do). A huge yam barn in any society will be viewed as a sign of wealth. The issue of yam being more respected in Edoland,than other crops,, is the uses to which it is put in worshipping our imported gods. Also, yam harvest is celebrated during the UGIE EMA ORHO ( not IGUE,per Uyiredia). The AKABA festival is performed by many Edo communities during this period.
Not all yam specie come to maturity at the same time. My understanding is that a particular yam is preferred during the festival.

What sprung the comment about Edo not worshiping food ? I'm confused,here. And what make you think we don't use yam to offer sacrifices to the gods ? You sound like you are running into defence. I just wanna know how deep the yam culture is in Edo and from the information offered so far I have come to the conclusion that yam isn't significant in Edo culture. Unlike Igboland where we have so many proverbs dedicated to yam,folktales,songs. Well,I can go further but I will cease because you are getting aggressive.
Re: The Ways Of A Bini(edo) by bokohalal(m): 7:56pm On Dec 31, 2013
Odenigbo Aroli:

What sprung the comment about Edo not worshiping food ? I'm confused,here. And what make you think we don't use yam to offer sacrifices to the gods ? You sound like you are running into defence. I just wanna know how deep the yam culture is in Edo and from the information offered so far I have come to the conclusion that yam isn't significant in Edo culture. Unlike Igboland where we have so many proverbs dedicated to yam,folktales,songs. Well,I can go further but I will cease because you are getting aggressive.
Funny guy.
Re: The Ways Of A Bini(edo) by OdenigboAroli(m): 10:56pm On Jan 01, 2014
bokohalal:
Funny guy.

Hilarious boy.
Re: The Ways Of A Bini(edo) by PhysicsQED(m): 12:11am On Jan 02, 2014
NRI PRIEST:
But do you have yam deities

bokohalal:
The Edos do not worship food

Odenigbo Aroli:
What sprung the comment about Edo not worshiping food ? I'm confused,here.

bokohalal:
Funny guy.
Re: The Ways Of A Bini(edo) by OdenigboAroli(m): 12:53am On Jan 02, 2014
Oba bini don enter grin
Re: The Ways Of A Bini(edo) by rabzy: 2:00pm On Jan 03, 2014
Odenigbo Aroli: Oba bini don enter grin

You know you are damn funny...na real oba benin. I just wonder if this guy was not around with his vast knowledge of Benin history and traditions (though he is quite good in so many others), a lot of stuffs would have been forced down our throat by other Cultural warriors. But what i appreciate most than his thoroughness is his sincerity, candidness and lack of prejudice.

So well done PhysicsNerd.
Re: The Ways Of A Bini(edo) by Deiok(m): 2:07pm On Jan 03, 2014
Wa ruo osa, ma vbe la ukpo-ogbon, ukpo ni ma la na gha mase nor gberah oo.
Re: The Ways Of A Bini(edo) by bokohalal(m): 2:13pm On Jan 03, 2014
Deiok: Wa ruo osa, ma vbe la ukpo-ogbon, ukpo ni ma la na gha mase nor gberah oo.

Ise,gedegbe!
Re: The Ways Of A Bini(edo) by eddy42k(m): 9:18pm On Jan 03, 2014
bokohalal: On my father's side it is La'Umogun.

my brodaaa La Umogun u are my bro, we also greet same which side u be
Re: The Ways Of A Bini(edo) by bokohalal(m): 10:07pm On Jan 05, 2014
eddy42k:

my brodaaa La Umogun u are my bro, we also greet same which side u be
There is the Edo joke that says 'de Oba no bie rue nu na tue lamogun?
My family trace from Oba Eresoyen. The Evbiemwen branch of The Benin Royal Family. Never lived on the street.

1 Like

Re: The Ways Of A Bini(edo) by cyrilamx(m): 2:02pm On Jan 10, 2018
Lagiesan...it hurts me that Bini youths can't speak or are indifferent to speaking bini language. Parents are mainly at fault, Benin city being a cosmopolitan city is being taken over by "pidgin" English. It has gotten to a situation that I instant feel elated when I hear somebody speak bini in Benin city. Parents and bini youths have fallen for the illusion of English language being a superior tongue to the great disservice to their mother tongue.
For me I have no apology speaking bini even in buses, at times to the consternation of non-binis. The only encouragement we have now is the unrelenting effort of OBA Ewuare II in resuscitating the learning, teaching and speaking of bini and also a lot of Binis in Europe love speaking their language.
Re: The Ways Of A Bini(edo) by SicilianMafia: 3:09pm On Jan 10, 2018
Nice Thread @Bokohalal

You are a real son of the soil!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Ways Of A Bini(edo) by Konquest: 11:16am On Jan 28, 2019
"Oba of Benin Visits Ooni Of Ife, Arrives in Grand Style"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXvXupQwaz0[20:27]
Apr 28, 2018 - Uploaded by Ebal Blog
LANDMARK VISIT OF OBA OF BENIN TO OONI OF IFE.

"OBA OF BENIN SHARES REASON FOR HIS VISIT TO OONI OF IFE"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUmrS2lrjPc[20:33]
May 3, 2018 - Uploaded by GoldMyneTV

"Benin Empire History"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrJzT5AjezI[32:45]
Oct 29, 2015 - Uploaded by Goldenark Records

"Greetings to Oba of Benin"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tETwwOyi9zg[2:51]
Apr 6, 2017 - Uploaded by Oduware Iyamu

"Greetings and Salutation in Edo Language HD"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeOh5UqcFgk[13:21]
Jan 18, 2017 - Uploaded by Wells Lion TV
Greetings and Salutation in Edo Language HD.
The Coronation Of The 69th Oba of Great Benin 1st ...

"Oba of Benin 1year Coronation Anniversary - Captain Hosa Okunbor"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNA_AMlFzfU[11:37]
Oct 28, 2017 - Uploaded by airLIVE Tv
Watch how Oba of Benin showers Captain
Hosa Okubor with prayers.

"Oba of Benin forces native doctors to revoke curses on trafficked victims"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhI_OkDbuW0[15:13]
Mar 9, 2018 - Uploaded by Nigeria Got News

"How To Speak Benin Language"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCTfKO0Vl7s[7:02]
Jul 8, 2016 - Uploaded by Damilola Ayomiposi
Learning how to speak Benin language with Godstar.

^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^
Interesting videos. grin
Re: The Ways Of A Bini(edo) by Konquest: 1:34pm On Jan 28, 2019
bokohalal:
Delauhe is also for Yorubas that migrated to Edoland and became Binis.
Uhe is the Bini for Ife.
^^^^^
^^^^^
Very interesting, so the people of Usen Town in Ovia South-East LGA and Egbeta in Ovia South West
LGA of Edo State who have Yoruba ancestry are are now fully Bini?

I thought they had a dual Yoruba and Edo heritage?

"List of Towns and Villages in Ovia South-East LGA, Edo State"
https://nigeriazipcodes.com/6283/list-of-towns-and-villages-in-ovia-south-east-lga/

Cc: Olu317

"Elawure of Usen pays thank you visit to Gov. Adams Oshiomhole"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szuC28a68zw[1:58]
Mar 12, 2016 - Uploaded by Independent Television and Radio

Omosede Igbinedion visits Usen and other Wards in Ovia South West LGA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdLeKYNMqbA[4:41]
Mar 19, 2015 - Uploaded by Independent Television and Radio

"Roses Sister's Club of Benin at the burial ceremony of late Mrs Modupe Ehigie Fabode at Usen Town"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jImYeiy2D0[14:01]
Jun 28, 2017 - Uploaded by Juliet Ehihon
Re: The Ways Of A Bini(edo) by sundayerhun(m): 8:07pm On Jan 29, 2019
Nice thread
Re: The Ways Of A Bini(edo) by Binikingdowm: 3:04pm On Oct 05, 2019
Laitose is my family greeting
Re: The Ways Of A Bini(edo) by Olu317(m): 6:19am On Oct 06, 2019
bokohalal:

There is the Edo joke that says 'de Oba no bie rue nu na tue lamogun?
My family trace from Oba Eresoyen. The Evbiemwen branch of The Benin Royal Family. Never lived on the street.

Awesome!
Re: The Ways Of A Bini(edo) by sotall(m): 9:31pm On Oct 10, 2019
Learnt a lot

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Are The Ilajes, Aworis, Egbas, Ijebus, Ikales And Eguns Really Yoruba? / That Akwa -ocha Must Leave On / Dark Skinned Biracial People

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.