Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,668 members, 7,955,434 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 05:31 AM

How Do You Stop Breast Milk Production? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Do You Stop Breast Milk Production? (10000 Views)

Pls Help! We Want To Stop Breast Feeding Our Baby. / My Aunty Gave Me Her Breast Milk To Drink: Right Or Wrong? / What Age Did You Stop Bed Wetting? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do You Stop Breast Milk Production? by PrettyCindy(f): 4:59pm On Jan 28, 2013
Mothers in the house please come to my aid ooooo!
When you wanted to stop nursing your baby, was there some kind of food or fruit or herbs you took?

From what i have gathered, its always painful and can take as long as 2 to 3 weeks for the milk to completely dry up. How then did you bear that terrible pain and ache?

Anyone with tips on food or fruit i should take (aside from google's own), please share.

Thanks.
Re: How Do You Stop Breast Milk Production? by Nobody: 5:37pm On Jan 28, 2013
Hi Cindy ,

I didn't use anything, of-course there'd be engorgement and the pain but it only last for bout 3days until I started to feel relieved and the bosom size deflated...

Another option is cabbage.... OMG! It works like magic... Don't use it for long .. Probably your br east will over dry.. very effective.

I know some people use medications but I didn't ... I'm sure somebody will tell you the name .

Goodluck.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Stop Breast Milk Production? by Seun(m): 5:43pm On Jan 28, 2013
I suspect that it will be easier when the baby is old enough to be weaned according to medical best practices (1 year).
Re: How Do You Stop Breast Milk Production? by PrettyCindy(f): 5:49pm On Jan 28, 2013
@Jidegirl, thanks. Please how does the cabbage work?

@ Seun, my baby is 1 year and 1 month old. Abi i no try?
Re: How Do You Stop Breast Milk Production? by Nobody: 5:49pm On Jan 28, 2013
^^^ are you sure you're a man? grin

He's actually right... It'll be easier but how many working moms br eastfed their kids for a whole year ?
Re: How Do You Stop Breast Milk Production? by Nobody: 5:52pm On Jan 28, 2013
PrettyCindy: @Jidegirl, thanks. Please how does the cabbage work?

@ Seun, my baby is 1 year and 1 month old. Abi i no try?

Shred fresh juicy cabbage into layers and place layers on your br east and wear your bra on top grin... best to do it on weekends you're not working. I will ask my friend again to be sure I'm right... She used it cos she had more milk production.
Re: How Do You Stop Breast Milk Production? by Seun(m): 5:53pm On Jan 28, 2013
@PrettyCindy: you try! (or you lie!)
Re: How Do You Stop Breast Milk Production? by ifyalways(f): 6:03pm On Jan 28, 2013
I honestly dont know but there are drugs,ask your Gyn.
Re: How Do You Stop Breast Milk Production? by PrettyCindy(f): 7:18pm On Jan 28, 2013
ifyalways: I honestly dont know but there are drugs,ask your Gyn.

So i heard. The thing is, 'they' said the drugs have long term side effects. It may be false though but am not willing to take any risk, that is why i want to find out if there are natural stuffs i can take or use.
Jidegirl already mentioned cabbage. If it truly works, then thats natural enough for me.
Re: How Do You Stop Breast Milk Production? by PrettyCindy(f): 7:20pm On Jan 28, 2013
jidegirl12:

Shred fresh juicy cabbage into layers and place layers on your br east and wear your bra on top grin... best to do it on weekends you're not working. I will ask my friend again to be sure I'm right... She used it cos she had more milk production.

Pleassssssse find out from her ASAP. Thanks.
Re: How Do You Stop Breast Milk Production? by greatgod2012(f): 8:33pm On Jan 28, 2013
I dont use any drug for it, d engorgement/pain is no more than 3 days or maximum........5 days.......endure it......its one of d prices of motherhood.
However, this hints will help to reduce d engogement faster.....

- reduce your intake of liquids during d period, if you can, avoid drinking of tea and eating of pap completely for d period.

- use a very tight bra always....for d whole period, dont remove d bra, except u want to have your bath, use it morning, noon, eve and night, even, when you want to make love with your hubby during d period, explain to him, dont remove d bra.......it helps d bossoms not to be further engoged and also helps to dry d milk in it faster. You can even wear 2 tight bras, if you can.......dis system is what i use and it walks like magic for me, i have never taken any drug as regards this for all my children.
May God help us all.
Re: How Do You Stop Breast Milk Production? by Nobody: 12:28am On Jan 29, 2013
PrettyCindy:

Pleassssssse find out from her ASAP. Thanks.

Cook the cabbage till its soft... place it warm on your br east for 20mins... Good luck
Re: How Do You Stop Breast Milk Production? by blank(f): 9:40am On Jan 29, 2013
This is what worked for me. I started reducing how long he suckled and increased the time between feedings. I substituted with cereal. I didn't mean to wean him but that was what happened. He stopped sucking by himself. I did not have that painful engorgement. It just happened.

My advice is that you do not do it suddenly. Do it gradually and you won't have discomfort.
Re: How Do You Stop Breast Milk Production? by PrettyCindy(f): 4:00pm On Jan 29, 2013
Jidegirl and Blank, thanks.
Re: How Do You Stop Breast Milk Production? by heavensown: 4:26pm On Jan 29, 2013
blank: This is what worked for me. I started reducing how long he suckled and increased the time between feedings. I substituted with cereal. I didn't mean to wean him but that was what happened. He stopped sucking by himself. I did not have that painful engorgement. It just happened.

My advice is that you do not do it suddenly. Do it gradually and you won't have discomfort.

I was going to say just that. I did the same. Started reducing the frequency gradually until I stopped completely and my baby did not even notice neither did I feel any pain. Babies have a way of weaning themselves off it once they are over a year. Just reduce how often you breastfeed from say, three times a day to twice, then once, once in two days, 3 days etc until your baby is fully weaned.
Re: How Do You Stop Breast Milk Production? by drnoel: 9:20pm On Jan 29, 2013
nice
Re: How Do You Stop Breast Milk Production? by Hotstepper(f): 8:25am On Jan 30, 2013
Mine was a different case. I was planning on stopping him gradually nd he took me by surprise and stopped by himself den come the wahala. I had to pump the milk every 3 days for just once nd after dat left it ( usually just sleep without bra so the milk flows off). In about a week plus, da milk dried up. Some people use cabbage nd some ppl just use hot water when they go to bath.
Re: How Do You Stop Breast Milk Production? by PrettyCindy(f): 5:10pm On Jan 30, 2013
Thank you all so much for your contributions.

I will have to do it gradually like most of you said. I will stop nursing him at nights first then gradually reduce the daily feedings to once - twice daily. Then once daily to once in two days etc etc. I believe i will be able to do it this way.

I will buy the cabbage and still try it to see its effect.

Thanks once again.
Re: How Do You Stop Breast Milk Production? by roled: 1:49pm On Feb 08, 2013
Medical practitioner can't stop the flow of breast milk.na wa o
Re: How Do You Stop Breast Milk Production? by Mavor: 4:48pm On Feb 08, 2013
Tell your man to suck it all out.
Re: How Do You Stop Breast Milk Production? by snthesis(m): 4:41pm On May 30, 2013
[b][/b]
Mavor: Tell your man to suck it all out.
lolz

(1) (Reply)

Health And Wealth: What A Herbalist Won't Tell You That Do Wonders (photo) / Could My Dirty Past Be Haunting Me? Please Help Before I Go Crazy / Who Will Your Son First Buy Car For ,his Wife Or The Mother ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.