Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,205 members, 7,818,701 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:07 PM

Ie8 Passes The Acid2 Test - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Ie8 Passes The Acid2 Test (977 Views)

Senate Passes Bill On Yahoo Boys. / IE8 Problem, Please I Need A Solution To This (RESOLVED) / Statcounter Browser Trends May 2013: IE8 Drops Below 10% (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ie8 Passes The Acid2 Test by naijafan(m): 10:09am On Mar 06, 2008
After MS released Beta 1 of Internet Explorer 8, I downloaded it and first thing that came to mind was to run the Acid2 test on it.
This i did and it passed. Promptly, I downloaded Beta 3 of Firefox 3. acid3 test results are attached below.

Re: Ie8 Passes The Acid2 Test by naijafan(m): 10:41am On Mar 06, 2008
the webstandards guys said they are coming up with another test. Acid3 test is supposed to focus on 'ECMAScript and DOM'.

At least, the dudes that complain about CSS compliance disparities would have a reason to keep their mouth shut lipsrsealed

To run the Acid 2 test on your current web browser, visit this link. http://www.webstandards.org/action/acid2/

To download IE8, follow this link. http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/ie/ie8/readiness/Install.htm
Re: Ie8 Passes The Acid2 Test by my2cents(m): 11:42am On Mar 06, 2008
Unless you are able to revert back to IE7 or an earlier version, I would personally advise against installing it - I am sure there will be many bugs to fix and you don't want it to overtake your system when what you should really be doing is making sure your code works for IE7/FF2.

Should you play with it? Sure, but on some kind of a test platform (that is, if installing it will override your previous IE installations). Should you rely on it while doing your web development? I would probably hold off on it till it launches officially.

As always, my 2 cents.
Re: Ie8 Passes The Acid2 Test by naijafan(m): 3:40pm On Mar 06, 2008
Agreed. But from the snapshot above, there is an 'Emulate IE7' button on the toolbar. THis requires a restart of the application and switches to the IE7 rendering engine. So its absolutely safe to play with.

THis beta 1 is actually meant for web developers and designers according to Microsoft and it comes with some tool close to firebug. Personally, i'll recommend it because its not to early to start writing HTML+CSS that conforms to web standards.

I'm an early adopter anyway
Re: Ie8 Passes The Acid2 Test by my2cents(m): 4:19pm On Mar 06, 2008
THis beta 1 is actually meant for web developers and designers according to Microsoft and it comes with some tool close to firebug. Personally, i'll recommend it because its not to early to start writing HTML+CSS that conforms to web standards.
Though from my experience, IE7 is closer to FF with respect to web standards, let's hope this is the case as IE in general has a way of coming up with IE-specific stuff that makes us web developers always hv to add an "else" statement/css hack in our code angry

In my opinion though, any self-respecting web developer should use FF for development (due to it's guaranteed support for web standards and many plug-in tools, among others) and then verify that their code works in IE, but that's just me cool
Re: Ie8 Passes The Acid2 Test by naijafan(m): 4:26am On Mar 07, 2008
my2cents:

Though from my experience, IE7 is closer to FF with respect to web standards, let's hope this is the case as IE in general has a way of coming up with IE-specific stuff that makes us web developers always hv to add an "else" statement/css hack in our code angry
Your statement sounds as tho FF is a valid reference as regards web standards undecided FF2 only had greater CSS complaince compared to IE7. FF2 fails the Acid2 test, which means that you cant write complex HTML+CSS without a bit of hacking to get the desired results.

my2cents:

In my opinion though, any self-respecting web developer should use FF for development (due to it's guaranteed support for web standards and many plug-in tools, among others) and then verify that their code works in IE, but that's just me cool
This thread was not started as a battle between IE7 and FF2. It's just to let you know that both FF3 and IE8 now fully conform to HTML+CSS standards officially. So, where does using FF for development and verifying if it works in IE come in

@all
IE8 beta 1 currently has problems in rendering non-standard pages correctly. This is expected in a first beta version but it has the option to emulate IE7 for normal web browsing. Hopefully, beta 2 should take care of that mess. By the way. . . FF3 beta 1 had lots of issues too which made it nearly unusable on most sites.
Re: Ie8 Passes The Acid2 Test by my2cents(m): 5:13am On Mar 07, 2008
dude,

whether it is acid test or base test, or whatever comes in b/w on the pH scale cool, there is no denying that generally speaking, FF is better than IE. If for no other reason, the fact that it has numerous plug-ins that make life easier for a web developer. Heck, it even has a plug-in to enable me run IE from within its shell so that I never have to launch IE itself cheesy

Any "battle" you reference is started by you. I was only saying that as FF is better than IE from a web development (and in fact other) standpoint. I, and many others that I know, if it were possible, wouldn't touch IE with a 10-foot pole but only do so as 80% of the internet population use it for browsing. Again, no "battle" intended. Just stating it as it is.
Re: Ie8 Passes The Acid2 Test by naijafan(m): 7:46am On Mar 07, 2008
Dear troublemaker,

My first post. . .
naijafan:

After MS released Beta 1 of Internet Explorer 8, I downloaded it and first thing that came to mind was to run the Acid2 test on it.
This i did and it passed. Promptly, I downloaded Beta 3 of Firefox 3. acid3 test results are attached below.

My second post. . .
naijafan:

the webstandards guys said they are coming up with another test. Acid3 test is supposed to focus on 'ECMAScript and DOM'.

At least, the dudes that complain about CSS compliance disparities would have a reason to keep their mouth shut lipsrsealed

To run the Acid 2 test on your current web browser, visit this link. http://www.webstandards.org/action/acid2/

To download IE8, follow this link. http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/ie/ie8/readiness/Install.htm

Can you see that quoted line in boldface?
That, my dear friend, is the point of this thread. CSS compliance as regards IE8 and FF3.
Dont turn it into a fanboy battlezone please. There a tools to create a thread that compares FF with IE if you please. Thanks.
Re: Ie8 Passes The Acid2 Test by my2cents(m): 12:06pm On Mar 07, 2008
Last post, it was "Battle". Now it is "Fanboy". Who is a fan and of whom? Do I sense some hidden feelings? LMAO! One thing is for sure though - I sincerely pray I have a reason to keep my mouth shut for real. I am tired of writing CSS conditional statements for IE7.

Oh well, as they say, the proof is in the pudding with respect to IE8, again, regardless of test. I clearly remember the brouhaha over IE7 when it first came out and the frustration I went through at the time in terms of "re-CSSifying" the site for a company i was working for at the time. The site looked good on IE7 beta but was totally jacked up when the official product came out.

I just pray that, whenever it is, the time comes when *all* browsers follow the standards set by the W3C to the Tee (sic)
Re: Ie8 Passes The Acid2 Test by bakenda(m): 12:18pm On Mar 07, 2008
Take off the gloves.
Is it another battle of the browsers?
IE is notorious for non-standards compliance,
but hopefully with the latest release,things
will fall into place.
Re: Ie8 Passes The Acid2 Test by naijafan(m): 12:21pm On Mar 07, 2008
@my2cents
Thanks for coming back on point.

Yea, i knw how it feels having to hack CSS to make it work on IE. If one judges by Microsoft's recent behaviour, one could safely assume that IE8 would make a difference in that aspect. Currently, there are no changes to the way it handles DOM. That's still sad.

@bakenda
No sir. Its not another battle of the browsers. We're not talking about Microsoft's past either. OK?
Re: Ie8 Passes The Acid2 Test by my2cents(m): 1:13pm On Mar 07, 2008
naijafan, so does that mean I am officially in the fanboy club now? cool

Seriously though, I don't think I was off-point. C, after a lady has been raped, it doesn't matter if the next man or men in her life swear a blood oath that they will never hurt her. She has been violated once and it can take ages to heal and regain the trust of a man again.

I know, the analogy is a little out there, but hopefully you get my point - I have been "raped' by IE going as far back as IE3, back when netscape was the standard. I have been promised that each subsequent release of IE will be better than the next. But each time, 9 times out of 10, I get screwed by something else. IE has left a bad taste in my (and I am sure, others) mouth, that's all.

I will go with the brouhaha of IE8 for now. As they say though, the proof will be in the pudding.
Re: Ie8 Passes The Acid2 Test by my2cents(m): 9:02pm On Mar 10, 2008

(1) (Reply)

Comment On Naijawebmasters.com Needed / Got My Blog Approved By Google Adsense Within Three Days! / I Need Help With Fbml Welcome Page Tab

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.