Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,502 members, 7,819,818 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:56 AM

Your Future As A Software Developer - Programming (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Your Future As A Software Developer (16097 Views)

Are You A Software Developer Or Software Companies With Beta Solution? / Interview Questions For A Software Developer ! / What Makes A Good Software Developer? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Your Future As A Software Developer by Nobody: 6:39pm On Jan 30, 2013
laykhorn:
I'll take that in good faith but when nxt you come across my username, dont EVER interfere when in such discussions except if they were directed to you... Now 2buff! Do u stil mind to answer my question?

To trail off a bit...

At the end of the day, the knowledge you acquire in school is not what will move you on in life.
It is the time you spend in your room and what you do there that determines this.
The paper you get from school simply serves as a "foot in the door" to get into an interview for the position you are aiming for.
Think of it as Resume SEO grin, so it is still important to get the paper.
What happens after the "come for interview" stage is all you.

After school, if you are just starting out, what you can SHOW your prospective employers that you have been doing matters a lot more than just talking.
As a fresh graduate, there was never any interview I went to where I didn't go with my laptop to give my employers a hands-on demo of what I have done, mostly on my own time, ranging anywhere from Web applications to OpenGL 3D visualizations depending on the job. This showed that I wasn't just someone who went to school, collected paper and wants to work. It showed that this was actually my passion, and more importantly, it left an impression of you in their minds.

Coming back to the question...
In my opinion, being good with software is easier to achieve independently than being good with electronics.
The number 1 reason being that electronics, and anything hardware, requires MONEY. You have to buy tools, resistors, solders, wires etc....and then a computer to program your PICs.
Whereas with software, all you need is a computer. Everything else is available for free from the internet.

So it just made sense to me to go into something that afforded me the advantage of using and learning about these hardware stuff while I was at school, but not taking me totally off the intended path.
I sensed then that if I didn't avail myself of the opportunity then, I would never be inclined to know anything about electronics.
Even though I never actually used it, I wouldn't be lost today if someone started talking about it.

But that's just me. Maybe you would prefer something of a software/business hybrid at school or something if hardware really isn't your thing.

2 Likes

Re: Your Future As A Software Developer by kaboninc(m): 6:57pm On Jan 30, 2013
Billyonaire:

Why would anyone study computer science or computer engineering at this age and time. These knowledge are all over the internet. I think the problem is that people study in order to work for other people, when you start studying courses because you wanna use it for personal financial growth then you will know better. How long can one work for anyone, anyfirm anyway. It pays to think outside the box.

I disagree with you on the bold part. Computer Science is much more than that. Its complex and diverse encompassing all fields.

1 Like

Re: Your Future As A Software Developer by AjanleKoko: 7:23pm On Jan 30, 2013
2buff:

I think what Wallie meant was different when he said industry.

The "software industry" (Industry X) is nothing but a tool that serves other prominent industries (Industry Y...e.g oil and gas, Energy, Healthcare, etc).
Seeing as X is easily outsourced, it is better to be more aligned and well versed in Y, so you are not expendible.

It is good to be true to your passion and start out with X so you are not totally lost (like a core business guy), but you would be doing yourself all kinds of favors if you 'step up' to Y.
By doing so, you may find yourself in more of an advantage than the simple-minded "business guy" if you play your cards right.
That is the stuff Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, and The FaceBook guy (I forget his name) are made of.

When a business-minded TECHY (techie meaning anything practical, not just software) is at the helm of most organizations, that organization is in a better position to succeed.
E.g Less likely to make stupid promises to clients that really can't be done because you have an accurate idea already how long things will take, hence risking bad relations with the client etc.

I'd differ on the bolded.
Steve Jobs, Bill Gates, and the Facebook Guy grin are not necessarily businessmen-coders.
They're all creators. None of them have MBAs, and all of them didn't finish college.

And regarding my response to Wallie . . . I was trying to point out that Indians have moved beyond the code-monkey paradigm. They've built the likes of Infosys, Wipro, TechMahindra, Tata, and so on. Very successful enterprises.
Re: Your Future As A Software Developer by Harry4cas(m): 8:05pm On Jan 30, 2013
Good Thread! *OMG SMH* i dont understand a phrase in this software thang tho i av passion 4 comp.sci will be putting that as my jamb couse to study.... just love the comment and hope that someday in no future time that i can be able to contribute immensely to this kinda topic.
Re: Your Future As A Software Developer by Nobody: 8:16pm On Jan 30, 2013
AjanleKoko:

I'd differ on the bolded.
Steve Jobs, Bill Gates, and the Facebook Guy grin are not necessarily businessmen-coders.
They're all creators. None of them have MBAs, and all of them didn't finish college.

Not quite actually. Have you actually watched their documentaries?
The lack of an MBA does not mean the lack of business sense. Some things come natural to some people and can be learned from the school of hard knocks.

Steve Jobs was anything but just a creator. He was a very business minded "techologist", making deals, always trying to be one step ahead, and just generally being very ruthless.

The FaceBook guy (anyone gonna tell me his name? grin ) got Mentored into being heavily business minded by one other guy that was also a software entrepreneur so he could be mentally equipped to make some big moves, otherwise he would have ended up just like any other "l33t" coder with an idea but poor/inefficient execution.

Bill Gates was anything but just a coder. He saw an opportunity, capitalized on it, made big steps besides just technical stuff. It ain't easy to penetrate a market as hard as Microsoft did, especially when competing with a fellow as ruthless as Jobs was.

You make it sound like all these guys did was sit around in their room coding and waiting for magic to happen.
Read some more about these gentlemen and you'll see they needed to employ that extra edge that is not too common with most geeks to do what they did. cheesy
Re: Your Future As A Software Developer by Nobody: 9:01pm On Jan 30, 2013
Omerian Consult:

Embedded Systems (ES)is the future! It's all about digitalizing everything around us. It cuts across every field of life. And u can digitize anything - door, toothbrush, even your cloth. An ES is any device into which a programmed IC (brain) has been put. You have sure seen d migration to digital fuel pumps. Everything around us will soon be ES with web and mobile support.

I was once with an ES firm as a Business Development Manager. We did about 60 very unique projects.
ES experts in d house should contact me as I run a Business Consulting firm that seeks, among other things, to turn IT guys to technopreneurs.
Oludayo 08132232989, 08188360168

I will have to agree very much with you.
The reason why software makes a lot of sense in other parts of the world is because there is already much of the hardware infrastructure to support it.
In a place like nigeria where there isn't much of an already pre-established hardware infrastructure, it would require the truly innovative folks to cover all bits of that end as well, both hardware and software.
Re: Your Future As A Software Developer by creativeEngr: 9:23pm On Jan 30, 2013
kambo: hmm... Thoughtful. I once read some write up sometime ago along the same lines. The essay generatd a flame war wth respondents affirming/disaffirmg tht software dev is a no future occupation. Theyre actually two sides to this issue. One side considers software dev as a calling,and decampment into management as treacherous infidelity. Like the man in your example, management may pay more (and management frwns on older employees still doing "grunt work" aka programming ) but if these folks really had their way programming wud be it. The other side, are more pragmatic, or more enterprenueral . They'll ditch programming for the next big thing (higher pay perks status) . To them its all abt wats in it for me?. Truth is it depends on ones priorities, financial incentives, job prospects, technical depth and so on. In a company that creates mundane typical software in an equally typical industry, that services a blase market innovation and research may b unwelcome the devs there will hav to move over to the busness side to hold down their jobs. This kind of companies are rife. On ther hand, those who work in the truly tech companies can retain and groom their passion with less fear of castigation. But this kinda companies are either elitist old concerns or raring juvenile startups. Think ibm,google, microsoft,fog creek,fb etc. Here industry changing machines are being created. A phd is a must have to work on the most interesting projects. Voracious intelligence and allegiance to the software cult is the currency for earning your colleagues respect. People at this level are self-actualized money aint the primary motivation, actually this bunch dont dream management. They consult, create startups to pursue an interest network with other geeks so they could stay employable or retire into teaching technology. Fact is this sets seem to shrinking and are threatened with extinction cuz as they automate more and more the less tech manpower the industry needs. Their efficient tools is leading to job losses. E.g the efficiency of wordpress and its likes created by uber geeks make professional website creation by novices possible threatening jobs/revenue of professional web designers. Similar trends are occuring in accounting etc. But IMO such companies arent here, naija, and most developers arent on that level here. There's no incentive to aspire so high if there's no industry demanding or appreciating ur skills. Mere "java/c++" programming is hard enuff wt no gaurantee of job security / stability so i guess most people ditch the idealism and go for the career security even if it means retiring from programming!

Clap clap clap. @kambo. Your piece was intellectually refreshing. I can only add that the "priority" of most Africans is survival, survival and survival. This influences all we see around us, our attitudes and approach to life. In societies where the basics of food, clothing and shelter aren't an issue, the mind is Absolutely FREE to explore.

Until our society grows beyond the survival mentality, all the vices we see around will persist and our ability to innovate will be seriously threatened.

People aspire and are satisfied with different things in life - fame, money, etc but for a true programmer is more interested in solving problems, private research, coding, etc - things you cannot dare for so long on an empty stomach. This is the real plight of the true programmer in Africa.
Re: Your Future As A Software Developer by Nobody: 9:30pm On Jan 30, 2013
creativeEngr:

Clap clap clap. @kambo. Your piece was intellectually refreshing. I can only add that the "priority" of most Africans is survival, survival and survival. This influences all we see around us, our attitudes and approach to life. In societies where the basics of food, clothing and shelter aren't an issue, the mind is Absolutely FREE to explore.

Until our society grows beyond the survival mentality, all the vices we see around will persist and our ability to innovate will be seriously threatened.

People aspire and are satisfied with different things in life - fame, money, etc but for a true programmer is more interested in solving problems, private research, coding, etc - things you cannot dare for so long on an empty stomach. This is the real plight of the true programmer in Africa.

Omo belle first Oh grin

3 Likes

Re: Your Future As A Software Developer by newmaonza: 10:04pm On Jan 30, 2013
2buff:

To trail off a bit...

At the end of the day, the knowledge you acquire in school is not what will move you on in life.
It is the time you spend in your room and what you do there that determines this.
The paper you get from school simply serves as a "foot in the door" to get into an interview for the position you are aiming for.
Think of it as Resume SEO grin, so it is still important to get the paper.

After school, if you are just starting out, what you can SHOW your prospective employers that you have been doing matters a lot more than just talking.
As a fresh graduate, there was never any interview I went to where I didn't go with my laptop to give my employers a hands-on demo of what I have done, mostly on my own time, ranging anywhere from Web applications to OpenGL 3D visualizations depending on the job. This showed that I wasn't just someone who went to school, collected paper and wants to work. It showed that this was actually my passion, and more importantly, it left an impression of you in their minds.

In my opinion, being good with software is easier to achieve independently than being good with electronics.
The number 1 reason being that electronics, and anything hardware, requires MONEY. You have to buy tools, resistors, solders, wires etc....and then a computer to program your PICs.
Whereas with software, all you need is a computer. Everything else is available for free from the internet.

So it just made sense to me to go into something that afforded me the advantage of using and learning about these hardware stuff while I was at school, but not taking me totally off the intended path.
I sensed then that if I didn't avail myself of the opportunity then, I would never be inclined to know anything about electronics.
Even though I never actually used it, I wouldn't be lost today if someone started talking about it.

But that's just me. Maybe you would prefer something of a software/business hybrid at school or something if hardware really isn't your thing.
sounds like Peter
Re: Your Future As A Software Developer by Nobody: 10:06pm On Jan 30, 2013
Peter who?
Re: Your Future As A Software Developer by newmaonza: 10:08pm On Jan 30, 2013
2buff: Peter who?
Piiro ,, shey na u dey yarn dis kwali
Re: Your Future As A Software Developer by Nobody: 10:10pm On Jan 30, 2013
new maonza: Piiro ,, shey na u dey yarn dis kwali

At all O. Na Canada I dey
Re: Your Future As A Software Developer by newmaonza: 10:14pm On Jan 30, 2013
2buff:

At all O. Na Canada I dey
Na Jebba street i dey, whatz up

1 Like

Re: Your Future As A Software Developer by kambo(m): 5:33am On Jan 31, 2013
fact is on a more serious note most of the advice given here is disaster and nonsense.
for the guy that wants to make tech enterprenuers out of developers what do you mean!
- you want to make them into business men. do you guys know that software is a calling and a field?
okay the word field has been thrown around for so long,so let me explain.
a field is like trying to drink the ocean! - you will never drink it all up but you will
sure do well if you can gulp a lake full in your life time.
you cannot be drinking the ocean and eating the forest (another field) at the same time.
you can only b and do one!
i mean do it very well.
The comments here can lead to dastard influence - most of you guys should go sleep or
come back in 10 years to comment.
fact, softwre development WILL NEVER BECOME A LAYMAN'S AFFAIR. NEVER.
even if they write tools that can produce ms office - complete with ms word,excel, etc-
at a press of a button , developers will only use to write more MILLIONS OF LINES OF CODE!!
@poster, please re-read the histories of all major software startups thoroughly.
there's isnt enough hours in a day to implement a really decent software.
do you know that using present technology that one really innovative software can
take you 5 - 10 years to code!! where is the time to go learn the business side?
see.
Bill gates. - correction.
Gates wasnt thinking of writing or selling operating systems.
He was a techy, But he met the creator of the then selling os cp/m - garry kindall.
kindal had a phD in c.s - note this. he trained fully in his field , this phD knowledge
gave him the intellectual capital to make contributions that would change the face
of OS history forever!!
(and to think a poster here is wondering what the value of a C.S degree is! angry angry
)
when kindall's company got into full operation - BUSINESS GUYS took over the handling
of the business SIDE!!
- kindall still continued to make innovations and expand on the cp/m Os until his death.
- the business side will be learned on the job! -
first come to market with the bacon - not empty handed.
bring the pig to market and sell -
By the time you're making sells in the hundreds of thousands of usd or selling to
1,000 people, you'd know by trial and error what the business side is.

Gates hired a Business expert to run the business side when microsoft got off the ground.

>> Google:
Sergey and larry page - honed their technical skills.
When google went of the ground the hired a business guy,with strong technical backgrounds, Eric Smidth or so (last name wrong)
. Without the product, page rank,they'd be no google.
sergey and larry didnt go get mba's to run the business. which is what most of the
poster's here will be thinking of doing.
note, as you have 10years+ in programming , so the business guy will be having on the business side , a 1 or 2 year mba programmme wont impart that experience.

>> facebook.
zuckerberg, liaised , had a track record of innovating.
his previous app, synaptic caught microsoft attention , so much that they wanted to
hire him.
(people here a posting , immediate pragmatism over dreaming-!!
note while synaptic was intensely practical - its a practically that was borne out
fantasy - fantasy cuz zuckerberg was thinking in an untypical manner,
much in the same way the guy that sold a pixel for a dollar was thinking.
this defeats the "useful to society viewpoint" because that viewpoint says
that if you dont have immediate value from your coding you should change.
this is bunkum. explore your fantasy- it may have future pragmatic value.
in the 19th century- a mathematician , Hardy , said they were carrying out
research that had no "practical value",
guess what? - that no "practical value " mathematics formed the bedrock for
modern day cryptographic systems!!
heard of Markov, a mathematician, he toyed with a mathematical tool for
making smarter random guesses, guess what?, that toy tool he invented
is so indispensible in finance, economics, biology etc that
a crater on the moon was named after him!. what if he discarded the idea for
want of "pragmatic value"!)
what you should say is - innovate but engage in practical immediate jobs - for
immediate pay.

>> you heard of the story of youtube etc.
some of the programmers there were standford graduates,
you've heard of paypal! the lead programmer that created the paypal application
core is a russian,
you've heard of intuit(makers of turbo tax,quickbooks) - the core programmer who single handed coded the application was a stanford undergraduate.
what's the point here. stanford, harvard, yale,M.I.T (how come they produce
some of the most innovative minds in software history)
i'll tell you- the students here are not trained in java! or made to take java certifications! they are not taught how to be immediately practical -
they're taught to innovate to the max!! (pragmatic - near-time- usefulness is suspended)
so that they think futuristically ahead of the low scanning majority.
we need more innovators in software.
there are still software's not yet made!!
and tonnes more to maintain.
you mentioned steve wozniak- his singhing intellect propelled apple to the height
of the industry,spawned extreme innovation that eclipsed the competition making them
play catch up - but then steve couldnt care less about an MBA or accounting statements
why! he was sold out to the technical side- how was he deficiency resolved!!
by balancing it out with a guy who could handle the business side.
answer: steve jobs.
point. programmers need to team up - the synergy of two experts complementing each
other has been the secret to success not one trying to play both roles.
infact, read - eric sink , joel of software, the best brains should be given the most
conducive environment to work in. the utter most best.
joel says the programmers have it all set up for them to work in, right down to the chairs they sit on? why?! cuz their brains create the product.
infact the manager in the company mentioned is a dummy like most managers.
they despise programmers and techies and try to coerce them away from their calling!
at microsoft , it is rumoured that the programmers there have executive offices.
at google - technical departments are headed by programmers /technical distinguished engineers.
Its only in nigeria this trash and disdain for programming talent will bubble and its
apparent in this sick replies i see posted here.
please guys grow up.
The nigerian industry is plagued with nonsense mediocre products. and ignoramus managers try to dictate how software should be done all because they got a stinking paper (Mba,msc)
from where?! some ivy league or such.

last example:
heard of xerox . the copier machine manufacturer?
xerox started out a product creatd by a nerd- he was a nerd and that was his nitch.
he had an idea . no marketing/business acumen.
inventor met uber marketer, who help make the copier profitable and appealing.
the inventor could never take the place of the marketer or vice versa.
the worked as a team.
geeks, need to work with a partner who can handle the business side while the
produce the bacon.

13 Likes

Re: Your Future As A Software Developer by lordZOUGA(m): 7:56am On Jan 31, 2013
@kambo please tell them oh... People have to decide first whether they want to be a programmer or a business man...
Re: Your Future As A Software Developer by Nov1ce(m): 8:17am On Jan 31, 2013
Billyonaire:

Why would anyone study computer science or computer engineering at this age and time. These knowledge are all over the internet.
Now thats just an ignorant statement!
Computer Science is actually more of a theoritical approach, it's becos programming is likeable that people who dont have formal degrees are able to do it!
I would not regard an NIIT programmer as a Computer Scientist becos it's way more than coding!
I mean, the guy wld prbably not know the slightest thing about algorithm runtimes!
Do you think google stands on just the lines and syntax of python, C++ and Java??

1 Like

Re: Your Future As A Software Developer by delkuf(m): 8:20am On Jan 31, 2013
[quote
author=2buff]

To trail off a bit...

At the end of the day, the knowledge you acquire in school is not what
will move you on in life.
It is the time you spend in your room and what you do there that
determines this.
The paper you get from school simply serves as a "foot in the door" to
get into an interview for the position you are aiming for.
Think of it as Resume SEO grin, so it is still important to get the
paper.

After school, if you are just starting out, what you can SHOW your
prospective employers that you have been doing matters a lot more than
just talking.
As a fresh graduate, there was never any interview I went to where I
didn't go with my laptop to give my employers a hands-on demo of what I
have done, mostly on my own time, ranging anywhere from Web applications
to OpenGL 3D visualizations depending on the job. This showed that I
wasn't just someone who went to school, collected paper and wants to
work. It showed that this was actually my passion, and more importantly,
it left an impression of you in their minds.

In my opinion, being good with software is easier to achieve
independently than being good with electronics.
The number 1 reason being that electronics, and anything hardware,
requires MONEY. You have to buy tools, resistors, solders, wires
etc....and then a computer to program your PICs.
Whereas with software, all you need is a computer. Everything else is
available for free from the internet.

So it just made sense to me to go into something that afforded me the
advantage of using and learning about these hardware stuff while I was
at school, but not taking me totally off the intended path.
I sensed then that if I didn't avail myself of the opportunity then, I
would never be inclined to know anything about electronics.
Even though I never actually used it, I wouldn't be lost today if
someone started talking about it.

But that's just me. Maybe you would prefer something of a
software/business hybrid at school or something if hardware really isn't
your thing.[/quote]Longest time man, as is evry thing
Re: Your Future As A Software Developer by adexsimply(m): 12:52pm On Jan 31, 2013
2buff:

Not quite actually. Have you actually watched their documentaries?
The lack of an MBA does not mean the lack of business sense. Some things come natural to some people and can be learned from the school of hard knocks.

Steve Jobs was anything but just a creator. He was a very business minded "techologist", making deals, always trying to be one step ahead, and just generally being very ruthless.

The FaceBook guy (anyone gonna tell me his name? grin )[size=14pt] MARK ZUCKERBERG [/size] got Mentored into being heavily business minded by one other guy that was also a software entrepreneur so he could be mentally equipped to make some big moves, otherwise he would have ended up just like any other "l33t" coder with an idea but poor/inefficient execution.

Bill Gates was anything but just a coder. He saw an opportunity, capitalized on it, made big steps besides just technical stuff. It ain't easy to penetrate a market as hard as Microsoft did, especially when competing with a fellow as ruthless as Jobs was.

You make it sound like all these guys did was sit around in their room coding and waiting for magic to happen.
Read some more about these gentlemen and you'll see they needed to employ that extra edge that is not too common with most geeks to do what they did. cheesy
Re: Your Future As A Software Developer by adexsimply(m): 1:14pm On Jan 31, 2013
@kambo... u ve said it all..
i even think its very difficult for a programmer to digress into other occupations..its just not possible cos u will have that feeling "am not doing the ryt thing!!"
Re: Your Future As A Software Developer by Nobody: 3:07pm On Jan 31, 2013
@kambo @Zouga and others

You don't have to agree. What I am talking about is hard to see right now at your level.
It will become more apparent as you progress in your career. Read books, like "The Business of Software" by Eric Sink.

When swimming with sharks, you need to think like one. You don't have to be one, but you very much need to think like one.
Letting someone "handle all your business" without any intelligent oversight from you is a risky and wreckless move.
Employee mentality. Don't be a victim.

If you are smart enough to develop software, you should be smart enough to read up a thing or 2 about certain aspects of business so you can see certain things coming.
Nobody is saying you should be a pure business man (that would be a sad waste of talents). We're not talking extremes here.
Be a business-minded Techie.
Re: Your Future As A Software Developer by lordZOUGA(m): 3:29pm On Jan 31, 2013
2buff: @kambo and @Zouga

You don't have to agree. What I am talking about is hard to see right now at your level.
It will become more apparent as you progress in your career. Read books, like "The Business of Software" by Eric Sink.

When swimming with sharks, you need to think like one. You don't have to be one, but you very much need to think like one.
Letting someone "handle [b]all [/b]your business" without any intelligent input from you is a risky and reckless move. Employee mentality.
If you are smart enough to write code, you should be smart enough to read up a thing or 2 about certain aspects of business so you can see certain things coming.

what did that facebook guy do? he made a web app, people liked it and started using it. when it became apparent it was going to be epic, he made a company out of it and invited the business guys to help him out. (correct me if I am wrong)

what I am trying to say is that you have to develop a nice product first before you start thinking business. you have to offer something nice.

at my level? do you own a software company?

1 Like

Re: Your Future As A Software Developer by Nobody: 3:34pm On Jan 31, 2013
lordZOUGA:

what did that facebook guy do? he made a web app, people liked it and started using it. when it became apparent it was going to be epic, he made a company out of it and invited the business guys to help him out. (correct me if I am wrong)

what I am trying to say is that you have to develop a nice product first before you start thinking business. you have to offer something nice.

A nice product can only be developed if you have a mind for the problem you are developing it for.
Facebook is a social app, everyone is involved in the social sphere. Most solutions are business solutions, requiring you to have a frame of reference to the business problem itself before you can create a solution for it.

Whichever way you want to look at it, it is imperative for uber-geeks to extend their realm of consciousness to other things than just C++ and Java.
The business world (i.e. MONEY) cares not for that, it cares for solutions.
Re: Your Future As A Software Developer by lordZOUGA(m): 3:50pm On Jan 31, 2013
2buff:

A nice product can only be developed if you have a mind for the problem you are developing it for.
Facebook is a social app, everyone is involved in the social sphere. Most solutions are business solutions, requiring you to have a frame of reference to the business problem itself before you can create a solution for it.

Whichever way you want to look at it, it is imperative for uber-geeks to extend their realm of consciousness to other things than just C++ and Java.
The business world (i.e. MONEY) cares not for that, it cares for solutions.
I agree with you that I should have a mind for the problem I am developing for, which is why (I do not know for you though) if I am to develop a software that predicts daily stock market evaluations(or something..) I must have a stock broker on my team. I do not have to know everything..

for developers, it should be all about algorithms, architectures, state machines, etc...
Re: Your Future As A Software Developer by newmaonza: 10:45pm On Jan 31, 2013
2buff: @kambo @Zouga and others

Letting someone "handle all your business" without any intelligent oversight from you is a risky and wreckless move.
Employee mentality. Don't be a victim.

If you are smart enough to develop software, you should be smart enough to read up a thing or 2 about certain aspects of business so you can see certain things coming.
Nobody is saying you should be a pure business man (that would be a sad waste of talents). We're not talking extremes here.
Be a business-minded Techie.
Boy Whatz really wrong being an employee ? I also wanna ask You what your Priorities are, If itz really to make Money and be stupendously rich then please stop Soft-ware Development and start thinking figures like an ALABA boy or Dangote, You really cant beat this dudes at their thing, another question i will like to ask You is that when You build that wonderful business of yours,are you not going to employ Victims(employees) in it or are you gonna be the chairman, accountant, lawyer, soft ware developer, clerk................................. I just smell FEAR in You

1 Like

Re: Your Future As A Software Developer by Nobody: 10:51pm On Jan 31, 2013
new maonza: Boy Whatz really wrong being an employee ? I also wanna ask You what your Priorities are, If itz really to make Money and be stupendously rich then please stop Soft-ware Development and start thinking figures like an ALABA boy or Dangote, You really cant beat this dudes at their thing, another question i will like to ask You is that when You build that wonderful business of yours,are you not going to employ Victims(employees) in it or are you gonna be the chairman, accountant, lawyer, soft ware developer, clerk................................. I just smell FEAR in You

Meh. This is just food for thought for those who have reached the level I keep talking about.
If you are having fun, by all means keep having fun. No point of view is bad.
Re: Your Future As A Software Developer by lordZOUGA(m): 12:10am On Feb 01, 2013
2buff:

Meh. This is just food for thought for those who have reached the level I keep talking about.
If you are having fun, by all means keep having fun. No point of view is bad.
like that other guy said, you sound like you are spooked about something..
Re: Your Future As A Software Developer by Nov1ce(m): 6:27am On Feb 01, 2013
*hidden*
Re: Your Future As A Software Developer by Nov1ce(m): 6:27am On Feb 01, 2013
new maonza: Boy Whatz really wrong being an employee ? I also wanna ask You what your Priorities are, If itz really to make Money and be stupendously rich then please stop Soft-ware Development and start thinking figures like an ALABA boy or Dangote, You really cant beat this dudes at their thing, another question i will like to ask You is that when You build that wonderful business of yours,are you not going to employ Victims(employees) in it or are you gonna be the chairman, accountant, lawyer, soft ware developer, clerk................................. I just smell FEAR in You
I feel you jooor...
Cause everybody is getting into all these entrepreneural crap as if being employed is an abomination, go check out IBM and Coke's longstanding employees, they are doing far better than most people who claim to be self-employed.
Some people are bright and effective but they need to be told exactly what to do, try leaving those people to themselves and they'll be completely clueless!
If you play your cards right either as an employee or employer, you'll have more than enough perks on retirement!
Re: Your Future As A Software Developer by Nobody: 7:52am On Feb 01, 2013
@all what i think the poster is emphasising on is BALANCE between been a tech as well as having some business acumen to some extent. For instance, am "forced" to learn java over python becos of andriod but at the same time, thinking "on what idea will my andriod knowledge achieve" thus we should have balance.
Re: Your Future As A Software Developer by WhiZTiM(m): 1:28pm On Feb 01, 2013
@Kambo, LordZouga, ...et al. I am standing behind your responses! Nice one!
... Kambo, good piece you wrote... I love it!

@2buff... First of all, lemme stroke you a bit.

LordZouga asked you if you own a software company?... So here is the problem summary statement...
QUESTION: 2buff has a Software company?
ANSWER: (1) no... or..
..................(2) if yes, it must be a very small one or a startup company.
PROOF: 2buff writing articles on nairaland...

..lol. Jokes aside....

Ehmm....
First of all, good programmers are professional businessmen in the binary world... But may not be such in the real world.

2ndly, Dangote spends a minimum of 18 hours at work every weekday... <source: an MTV interview with Dangote>
.... Bill Gates and Paul Allen were more of great programmers than businessmen.... That was why when Microsoft was plunging into the real business world, they hired Steve Ballmer who has been managing the company's business till date... Steve Ballmer is a workaholic... Believe it or not, you cannot run business at maximum throughput while programming your core systems efficiently...
....like Zouga said, bring up the software first before business....
... Mark Zuckerberg doesn't have that time again to spend writing silly software to run Facebook... Before this stage, he took the pains of creating its primitives.

... What I am saying in essence, business is an entirely separate field from programming.
....Business runs the cash flow. Programming runs the service.... That is why, you see the differences in Academic syllabus.

.... For entrepreneurship, in cases where you want a mega company, there must exist some point in space were you have to choose programming or business....
Mathematically speaking...
lim(business expertise)-> infinity... programming expertise-> 0
....it's a hypothesis, so feel free to prove me wrong.
Re: Your Future As A Software Developer by kambo(m): 6:51pm On Feb 01, 2013
@2buff (thanks 4 spicy up the section wt ur post) as a programmer, tryng to create a product one thing u'll notice is There isnt enough time in a year! A year has about 8750 hrs. A product may require 5000+ development time, coding, testing, fine tuning. Thats almost a year. So wat do i say, hit the streets and start to sell, most solo developers in naija hav no funding to hire hands (lawyers etc), you'll learn dynamically as you make your mistakes. (this is how eric sink learnt), by the time your selling your 3rd/4th product or starting a company u'd hav picked up some ideas of business gotten lawyer buddies and friends and developed a sense of direction but it starts from making the hit solo green eyed and wet behind the ears. I'm talking of 1man programmer enterprenuer here. For guys starting full blown gigs, i.e making a programming idea into a corporate entity like facebook, google etc. Stick with your technical side and hire best of breed ceo's analyst lawyers also carvort wt big boys in the industry. You'll need their insight and support (zuckerberg was taken under the wings of peter theil , founder of paypal, the character played by timberlake in the movie, *forgotten his name*, contributed also to making facebook take off, the financial ground work was laid by eduardo saverin (somebody help wt the names) so zucker boy had a full team to rob minds with ) . The value of the combined team knowledge compensates for the programmers business knowledge shortfall. Besides a programmer who wants to make money the corporate route make far more than the solo coder. Paul graham, built a product with 2 other programmers, sold the product to yahoo for millions, retired from the rat race got into venture capitalism, all business acumen needed to succeed has come from the streets rather than from a formal school taught programme. Dan brinklin, creator of visicalc, the app that turned apple from a toy to a major domo, lost his opportunity by failing to patent his innovation u may say because he businness savvy but not so fast , his co-developer, that wrote the editor and assembler on the system he used was a harvard mba! . As an mba he was supposed to be conversant wt the legal implication of not building a thorn bush around their creation. So what am i really saying! Some programming ideas can only b fully realized by the owner of that idea, when bricklin talked to other programmers abt his plan , most didnt see the big deal about it. Bricklin,zuckerg, shawn fannings, had to work their behind off to create a working prototype only then , with intense marketing, meetings etc did the business side take. Note:: shawn fannings, creator of napster, is a hard core enterprenuer. How did he get the spirit? From his experience with napster. None of these guys deserted their technical talent by trying to get a business degree. And theyre still innovating (paul graham is creating a new dialect of lisp, fannings has created so many tech startups) the mba/ thing is usually the path of the corporate coder. Because of management pressure (and contempt for programmers) and job loss threat from outsourcing. Corporation building programmers (like zuckerberg, paul graham, joel (founder of fog creek), eric sink, bezos) . Learn on the street and from their non techie teams(lawyers, accountants , industry vets etc).

1 Like

Re: Your Future As A Software Developer by Wallie(m): 5:54pm On Feb 06, 2013
kambo: @2buff (thanks 4 spicy up the section wt ur post) as a programmer, tryng to create a product one thing u'll notice is There isnt enough time in a year! A year has about 8750 hrs. A product may require 5000+ development time, coding, testing, fine tuning. Thats almost a year. So wat do i say, hit the streets and start to sell, most solo developers in naija hav no funding to hire hands (lawyers etc), you'll learn dynamically as you make your mistakes. (this is how eric sink learnt), by the time your selling your 3rd/4th product or starting a company u'd hav picked up some ideas of business gotten lawyer buddies and friends and developed a sense of direction but it starts from making the hit solo green eyed and wet behind the ears. I'm talking of 1man programmer enterprenuer here. For guys starting full blown gigs, i.e making a programming idea into a corporate entity like facebook, google etc. Stick with your technical side and hire best of breed ceo's analyst lawyers also carvort wt big boys in the industry. You'll need their insight and support (zuckerberg was taken under the wings of peter theil , founder of paypal, the character played by timberlake in the movie, *forgotten his name*, contributed also to making facebook take off, the financial ground work was laid by eduardo saverin (somebody help wt the names) so zucker boy had a full team to rob minds with ) . The value of the combined team knowledge compensates for the programmers business knowledge shortfall. Besides a programmer who wants to make money the corporate route make far more than the solo coder. Paul graham, built a product with 2 other programmers, sold the product to yahoo for millions, retired from the rat race got into venture capitalism, all business acumen needed to succeed has come from the streets rather than from a formal school taught programme. Dan brinklin, creator of visicalc, the app that turned apple from a toy to a major domo, lost his opportunity by failing to patent his innovation u may say because he businness savvy but not so fast , his co-developer, that wrote the editor and assembler on the system he used was a harvard mba! . As an mba he was supposed to be conversant wt the legal implication of not building a thorn bush around their creation. So what am i really saying! Some programming ideas can only b fully realized by the owner of that idea, when bricklin talked to other programmers abt his plan , most didnt see the big deal about it. Bricklin,zuckerg, shawn fannings, had to work their behind off to create a working prototype only then , with intense marketing, meetings etc did the business side take. Note:: shawn fannings, creator of napster, is a hard core enterprenuer. How did he get the spirit? From his experience with napster. None of these guys deserted their technical talent by trying to get a business degree. And theyre still innovating (paul graham is creating a new dialect of lisp, fannings has created so many tech startups) the mba/ thing is usually the path of the corporate coder. Because of management pressure (and contempt for programmers) and job loss threat from outsourcing. Corporation building programmers (like zuckerberg, paul graham, joel (founder of fog creek), eric sink, bezos) . Learn on the street and from their non techie teams(lawyers, accountants , industry vets etc).

I'm a little late getting back to this thread!

@Kambo, can you please “throw” some carriage returns in your post to make it easier to read? I skipped your first post but decided to read this because I think you made some interesting points but the post is very hard to follow.

Anyway, I think you’re trying to say that one should stick to what he/she does best? I agree up to a certain extent. You also seem to state that being a software developer is mutually exclusive from being an entrepreneur? Are these your positions?

Personally, I think entrepreneurs are just people with varying skill sets that try to build a company out of an idea. However, before your idea becomes a successful company, you need to develop it which is where your skill set will come into play! If you do not have the requisite skill set, you partner or hire those that have it.

Having said that, almost all the techies that Kambo listed have the ability to code or, at the very least, develop the needed algorithm. Their ability to code does not make them software developers but it gives them the ability to develop their product or service up to a point (prototype) before getting “real” software coders involved.

@AJ
I do agree that some companies in India are now more than code-monkeys but for the most part, they do lack specific industry knowledge except if they’ve worked on similar projects in the past.

For example,
1. Patent Software – I will still need to give Indian programmers specific instructions to develop software that can navigate US and European patent laws.
2. Air traffic control software – they will most likely need specific instructions.
3. Obamacare Software – even though they might have generic knowledge about the healthcare industry, they will still need specific instructions.

A code-monkey, to me, is someone that you need to give specific set of instructions or pseudocode to before they can execute a task! They lack the requisite knowledge to implement a solution except to convert instructions to lines of code.

People that do the “manual aspect” of coding (converting instructions to syntax) can be easily replaced but not the person that gives the instructions because that requires industry specific knowledge.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Interview Questions For A Software Developer ! / What Programming Languages Do You Know? / Career Guides: Things I wish I had known earlier in d software development space

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 155
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.