Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,227 members, 7,818,772 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:17 AM

Why You Shouldn't Drink Before Bedtime - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Why You Shouldn't Drink Before Bedtime (27106 Views)

Amazing Drink Before Going To Bed That Will Melt Your Belly Fat Almost Instantl / Reasons Why You Shouldn't Drink Water While Eating / Reason Why You Shouldn't Drink Water While Eating (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why You Shouldn't Drink Before Bedtime by Nobody: 5:30pm On Jan 29, 2013
Let's have a lil' chat on one of the most consumed chemical on earth. Yes! It's alcohol. It comes in different forms but its effect remains the same. At first gulp of a green bottle it gives us EUPHORIA,then we go into EXCITEMENT as we empty the second bottle, then CONFUSION, STUPOR, COMA and with further intake the ultimate happens, DEATH! Those are the 6 stages of alcohol effect on our body.
For its euphoric effect most of us love this chemical...especially on those evening hang outs...hmmm grin . Have you really thought about it's other effect when taken less than 4 hours before bed
Read on then...let's start with...

* SNORING
Even if you're 'non-snorer', alcohol before bedtime can make you produce this nasty noise at night.
How does it do it? Well,alcohol reduces the resting tone of the muscles at the back of your throat and relaxes your tongue,which can fall back to obstruct your airway during sleep. As you try to force air through these tissues they vibrate and so produce the snore.
For snorers ,alcohol before bed worsens it.

* OBSTRUCTIVE SLEEP APNEA
This is a disorder in which the upper airway narrows or closes during sleep. The resulting apnea (stoppage of breathing) awakens the person, who then resumes breathing and falls asleep again.
Alcohol before bed can further relax the muscles of the airway and worsen the narrowing. Consequently,the person is deprived of peaceful sleep at night.

* POOR S"EXUAL RESPONSE
Like i wrote earlier on,alcohol is both a nervous system depressant and a muscle relaxant.

In men,
alcohol before bed can lead to difficulty in getting and maintaining an e"rection. It's true that alcohol, in the euphoric or excitement stage, increases our s"exual urge but when it's time for real action,then the wahala comes!
And in long term,it can cause full-blown e"rectile dysfunction.
However, moderate intake,can help someone overcome poor e"rection or quick e"jaculation caused by anxiety. Though its not a good idea to build your s"ex life around alcohol...addiction and other side effect can result.

For women,
alcohol before bed can cause reduced lubrication,difficulty in achieving o"rgasm or o"rgasm that is less intense. And it's also much difficult to achieve pregnancy.

* POT BELLE AND OVERWEIGHT
As we become less active towards the night, our metabolic rate also lessens. Thus major quantity of the alcohol consumed during this period will likely be converted to fats. These fats get deposited within and around your internal organs,other body parts and also within your abdominal wall. This leaves you with pot belle, overweight and increased risk of heart,liver,kidney and intestinal diseases!

* SOAR THROAT AND INFECTION
Some people take alcohol to relief the pain of soar throat. unfortunately, this's temporal. And they're also ignorant of the fact the alcohol actualy causes and worsens soar throat.

Alcohol irritates and dries the tissues of throat. It also decreases the function of the immune cells within the throat tissuses, therefore raises your risk of getting throat infection and other infections of the oral cavity.

* NOCTURIA, NIGHT SWEAT, DEHYDRATION AND HANG OVER
It's normal to urinate 2 times or less in the night. One of the end product of alcohol metabolism is water,and with the diuretic effect of alcohol you will most likely urinate more often at night. Alcohol can also cause night sweat. All these can combine to cause dehydration.

Don't forget...hang over will say ' good morning' the next day.

* INSOMNIA
It may be suprising,but the truth is that alcohol before bed can cause insomnia.
An average adult needs about 7.5-8 hours of sleep in a day to stay healthy. For some reasons, some people can't get this quantity of sleep in a day. So some, especially insomniacs, resort to taking alcohol to induce sleep and probably make it last longer. Initially, this might appear to work but it's diverstating in the long run.
To undertand how alcohol cause insomnia let's learn some facts about sleep.

Two main states and 6 stages characterise a normal sleep...
# Non-rapid eye movement(NREM)sleep
aka quiet sleep: stage 1-4

# Rapid eye movement (REM) sleep
aka active sleep: stage 5-6, most dreams occur at this stage.

To have a good sleep you need to a balanced alternation between these two stages.

Alcohol consumed 1-3 hours before bedtime interfers with sleep hormones and disrupts the sleep cycle (REM sleep seems more affected,it shortens it). The person is awaken by dream,the urge to urinate,sweat,breathlessness,dehydration etc but he finds it difficult returning to sleep. And the sedate effect of the alcohol must have faded by then.
In addition,the person may develop tolerance to the sedative effect of the alcohol while the disruptive effect continues,hence insomnia continues!

10 Likes

Re: Why You Shouldn't Drink Before Bedtime by onila(f): 5:34pm On Jan 29, 2013
hmmm thanks

I am glad I dont drink smiley
Re: Why You Shouldn't Drink Before Bedtime by Nobody: 5:42pm On Jan 29, 2013
onila: hmmm thanks

I am glad I dont drink smiley
even red wine?
Re: Why You Shouldn't Drink Before Bedtime by onila(f): 5:53pm On Jan 29, 2013
centje: even red wine?

yea even wine smiley

but I will drink wine occassionally like in someone's house or event but its never in my house
Re: Why You Shouldn't Drink Before Bedtime by Nobody: 6:03pm On Jan 29, 2013
onila:

yea even wine smiley

but I will drink wine occassionally like in someone's house or event but its never in my house
ah...you drink a lil nah grin unless it's non alcoholic wine.
Moderate intake is good tho' buh not near bedtime or in ill-health.

...but just wondering why NEVER in your house
Re: Why You Shouldn't Drink Before Bedtime by onila(f): 6:09pm On Jan 29, 2013
centje: ah...you drink a lil nah grin unless it's non alcoholic wine.
Moderate intake is good tho' buh not near bedtime or in ill-health.

...but just wondering why NEVER in your house

maybe bcus i never buy wine on my own

whenever i drink wine its in some friends house or event

my fridge is filled with coke n sprite grin

i dont like beer or brandy. . i have a sweet tooth. .i find beer n brandy bitter
Re: Why You Shouldn't Drink Before Bedtime by Nobody: 6:45pm On Jan 29, 2013
Ill drink to that!

4 Likes

Re: Why You Shouldn't Drink Before Bedtime by HumbledbYGrace(f): 7:12pm On Jan 29, 2013
SniperInADiaper: Ill drink to that!
cheesy cheesy cheers
Re: Why You Shouldn't Drink Before Bedtime by Nobody: 7:40pm On Jan 29, 2013
onila:

i dont like beer or brandy. . i have a sweet tooth. .i find beer n brandy bitter
lol...smirnoff ice is sweet lipsrsealed anyway don't try to taste. Stick to softs buh remember they still have their own side effects... wink

1 Like

Re: Why You Shouldn't Drink Before Bedtime by Nobody: 7:43pm On Jan 29, 2013
HumbledbYGrace: cheesy cheesy cheers

SniperInADiaper: Ill drink to that!

Cheers to weight gain grin

1 Like

Re: Why You Shouldn't Drink Before Bedtime by Nobody: 8:27pm On Jan 29, 2013
centje:

Cheers to weight gain grin

I'm fat anyway.wouldn't matter.

3 Likes

Re: Why You Shouldn't Drink Before Bedtime by onila(f): 1:04am On Jan 30, 2013
SniperInADiaper:

I'm fat anyway.wouldn't matter.
grin
Re: Why You Shouldn't Drink Before Bedtime by onila(f): 1:06am On Jan 30, 2013
centje: lol...smirnoff ice is sweet lipsrsealed anyway don't try to taste. Stick to softs buh remember they still have their own side effects... wink

oh tnks, i will try smirnoff some day

I always see it around
Re: Why You Shouldn't Drink Before Bedtime by phransix147(m): 5:26pm On Jan 30, 2013
Alomo, Ogidigba, Ori Malu nko?

2 Likes

Re: Why You Shouldn't Drink Before Bedtime by FXKing2012(m): 5:27pm On Jan 30, 2013
Alcohol,tobacco, caffeine are all drugs that should be banned, they are very harmful to the body.
Re: Why You Shouldn't Drink Before Bedtime by Aifey(m): 5:29pm On Jan 30, 2013
People are bein deceived n wantin others 2think 4them when they hav their head. Everytin done is xx has a side effect. Sexx, alchol, coke, smirnof, relaxin, eatin etc. Just like everydrug even Vitamin syrup n blood or multivitamin capsules they all have some negativ effect.

2 Likes

Re: Why You Shouldn't Drink Before Bedtime by Sarky(m): 5:29pm On Jan 30, 2013
huh! Tales...

Wht elz cn get me HIGH if nt alcohol? Mayb I'll switch 2 ''Indian hemp'' or ''Cocaine''. @ OP. Huh
Re: Why You Shouldn't Drink Before Bedtime by plainmirror(m): 5:43pm On Jan 30, 2013
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I
drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass
& think about the workers in the brewery and all
of their hopes & dreams. If I didn't drink this
beer, they might be out of work & their dreams
would be shattered. Then I say to myself, 'It is
better that I drink this beer & let their dreams
come true than to be selfish and worry about my
liver.

34 Likes

Re: Why You Shouldn't Drink Before Bedtime by yuzedo: 5:45pm On Jan 30, 2013
What about Alomo, Ogidiga or Monkey-Tail? undecided

1 Like

Re: Why You Shouldn't Drink Before Bedtime by yuzedo: 5:46pm On Jan 30, 2013
plainmirror: Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I
drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass
& think about the workers in the brewery and all
of their hopes & dreams. If I didn't drink this
beer, they might be out of work & their dreams
would be shattered. Then I say to myself, 'It is
liver.
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Why You Shouldn't Drink Before Bedtime by Duke007(m): 5:49pm On Jan 30, 2013
onila:

I always see it around

.Don't go near smirnoff.As a Non-alcoholic,l drank just one can last year and was knock out completely by it.l managed to drink home and went straight to bed.l woke at 8am d next day.As 4 me,there is nothg like low alcohol level
Re: Why You Shouldn't Drink Before Bedtime by Duke007(m): 5:50pm On Jan 30, 2013
onila:

I always see it around

.Don't go near smirnoff.As a Non-alcoholic,l drank just one can last year and was knock out completely by it.l managed to drive home and went straight to bed.l woke at 8am d next day.As 4 me,there is nothg like low alcohol level
Re: Why You Shouldn't Drink Before Bedtime by Truckpusher(m): 5:51pm On Jan 30, 2013
Alcohol doesn't kill you as long as you get your weekly glass of fresh brea/st milk. wink wink wink
Re: Why You Shouldn't Drink Before Bedtime by ARareGem(f): 5:54pm On Jan 30, 2013
plainmirror: Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass & think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes & dreams. If I didn't drink this beer, they might be out of work & their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, 'It is
liver.

grin You really have me laughing. Continue deceiving yourself. grin
Re: Why You Shouldn't Drink Before Bedtime by begwong: 5:59pm On Jan 30, 2013
onila:

u will b appalled when u see the analysis of sugar callories in those soft drinks u are taking.
The u.k govt is proposing a hike in taxes on such drinks now(obesity palaver on its populace)
Re: Why You Shouldn't Drink Before Bedtime by Nobody: 5:59pm On Jan 30, 2013
This is me reporting from a beer palour. But before i listen to this anti-beer OP, let me first finish my one carton
Re: Why You Shouldn't Drink Before Bedtime by plainmirror(m): 6:00pm On Jan 30, 2013
ARareGem:

grin You really have me laughing. Continue deceiving yourself. grin
Do i look lyk awilo lokomba for your Ơ̴̴̴̴͡.̮Ơ̴̴̴͡?
A®ε Ʊ a learner?
Re: Why You Shouldn't Drink Before Bedtime by Nobody: 6:05pm On Jan 30, 2013
centje: Let's have a lil' chat on one of the most consumed chemical on earth. Yes! It's alcohol. It comes in different forms but its effect remains the same. At first gulp of a green bottle it gives us EUPHORIA,then we go into EXCITEMENT as we empty the second bottle, then CONFUSION, STUPOR, COMA and with further intake the ultimate happens, DEATH! Those are the 6 stages of alcohol effect on our body.
For its euphoric effect most of us love this chemical...especially on those evening hang outs...hmmm grin . Have you really thought about it's other effect when taken less than 4 hours before bed
Read on then...let's start with...

* SNORING
Even if you're 'non-snorer', alcohol before bedtime can make you produce this nasty noise at night.
How does it do it? Well,alcohol reduces the resting tone of the muscles at the back of your throat and relaxes your tongue,which can fall back to obstruct your airway during sleep. As you try to force air through these tissues they vibrate and so produce the snore.
For snorers ,alcohol before bed worsens it.

* OBSTRUCTIVE SLEEP APNEA
This is a disorder in which the upper airway narrows or closes during sleep. The resulting apnea (stoppage of breathing) awakens the person, who then resumes breathing and falls asleep again.
Alcohol before bed can further relax the muscles of the airway and worsen the narrowing. Consequently,the person is deprived of peaceful sleep at night.

* POOR S"EXUAL RESPONSE
Like i wrote earlier on,alcohol is both a nervous system depressant and a muscle relaxant.

In men,
alcohol before bed can lead to difficulty in getting and maintaining an e"rection. It's true that alcohol, in the euphoric or excitement stage, increases our s"exual urge but when it's time for real action,then the wahala comes!
And in long term,it can cause full-blown e"rectile dysfunction.
However, moderate intake,can help someone overcome poor e"rection or quick e"jaculation caused by anxiety. Though its not a good idea to build your s"ex life around alcohol...addiction and other side effect can result.

For women,
alcohol before bed can cause reduced lubrication,difficulty in achieving o"rgasm or o"rgasm that is less intense. And it's also much difficult to achieve pregnancy.

* POT BELLE AND OVERWEIGHT
As we become less active towards the night, our metabolic rate also lessens. Thus major quantity of the alcohol consumed during this period will likely be converted to fats. These fats get deposited within and around your internal organs,other body parts and also within your abdominal wall. This leaves you with pot belle, overweight and increased risk of heart,liver,kidney and intestinal diseases!

* SOAR THROAT AND INFECTION
Some people take alcohol to relief the pain of soar throat. unfortunately, this's temporal. And they're also ignorant of the fact the alcohol actualy causes and worsens soar throat.

Alcohol irritates and dries the tissues of throat. It also decreases the function of the immune cells within the throat tissuses, therefore raises your risk of getting throat infection and other infections of the oral cavity.

* NOCTURIA, NIGHT SWEAT, DEHYDRATION AND HANG OVER
It's normal to urinate 2 times or less in the night. One of the end product of alcohol metabolism is water,and with the diuretic effect of alcohol you will most likely urinate more often at night. Alcohol can also cause night sweat. All these can combine to cause dehydration.

Don't forget...hang over will say ' good morning' the next day.

* INSOMIA
It may be suprising,but the truth is that alcohol before bed can cause insomia.
An average adult needs about 7.5-8 hours of sleep in a day to stay healthy. For some reasons, some people can't get this quantity of sleep in a day. So some, especially insomniacs, resort to taking alcohol to induce sleep and probably make it last longer. Initially, this might appear to work but it's diverstating in the long run.
To undertand how alcohol cause insomia let's learn some facts about sleep.

Two main states and 6 stages characterise a normal sleep...
# Non-rapid eye movement(NREM)sleep
aka quiet sleep: stage 1-4

# Rapid eye movement (REM) sleep
aka active sleep: stage 5-6, most dreams occur at this stage.

To have a good sleep you need to a balanced alternation between these two stages.

Alcohol consumed 1-3 hours before bedtime interfers with sleep hormones and disrupts the sleep cycle (REM sleep seems more affected,it shortens it). The person is awaken by dream,the urge to urinate,sweat,breathlessness,dehydration etc but he finds it difficult returning to sleep. And the sedate effect of the alcohol must have faded by then.
In addition,the person may develop tolerance to the sedative effect of the alcohol while the disruptive effect continues,hence insomia continues!

K
Re: Why You Shouldn't Drink Before Bedtime by ujchief(m): 6:09pm On Jan 30, 2013
If you drink, you sleep.
When you sleep, you don't sin,
When you don't sin, you go to heaven.

So let's all drink and go to heaven!

Cheers!

1 Like

Re: Why You Shouldn't Drink Before Bedtime by emandman: 6:09pm On Jan 30, 2013
onila:

I always see it around

Dat guy cntje wan spoil u.....
Re: Why You Shouldn't Drink Before Bedtime by ujchief(m): 6:11pm On Jan 30, 2013
Kayusfity:

K

Eeeddiiooottt!!!

These are the dum'b fvcks that made Nl have a million I'd's

5 Likes

Re: Why You Shouldn't Drink Before Bedtime by LagosBoi2(m): 6:12pm On Jan 30, 2013
I don tell you, take weed plus ice cream instead.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

575 New COVID-19 Cases, 163 Discharged And 9 Deaths On July 6 / Saidu Ahmed Is Dead! NEMA North East Coordinator Dies In Borno / COVID-19: We Are Struggling With Bed Spaces In Lagos - NCDC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.