Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,722 members, 7,816,972 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:42 PM

12 Tips To Overcome Laziness - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / 12 Tips To Overcome Laziness (14377 Views)

12 Tips On How To Improve Your Workplace Relationship Jobseekers! / How Can One Overcome Social Anxiety? / Negligence/laziness At Luth (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

12 Tips To Overcome Laziness by egift(m): 9:43am On Jan 31, 2013
What is laziness?

It is the desire to be idle, to do nothing and resist effort.

It is a state of passivity and of letting things stay as they are.

Sometimes, we enjoy being a little lazy, such as after working hard for several hours, or on a very cold or warm day, but if this state occurs too often, something has to be done about it.

In order to perform our chores and work efficiently, and to live a full, active and successful life, we must learn how to overcome laziness.
Simple tips for overcoming laziness:

1) Break down a task into smaller tasks
We often avoid tasks because we find them too big, too overwhelming, too tiring, or taking too much of our time.

Breaking a task into several smaller tasks can solve this problem. Then, each one will not seem so difficult or intimidating. Instead of having one big task, we will have a series of small tasks, which do not require too much effort.

This approach can be applied not only to tasks, but also to goals and everything else we have or need to do. This will tend to melt much of the laziness and inner resistance we often experience.

2) Rest sleep and exercise
In some cases, laziness is due to being tired and lacking energy. If this is true in your case, you need to give yourself the rest and sleep you need, and also give your body enough exercise and fresh air.

3) Motivation
In some cases, the reason for laziness is due to lack of motivation. You can strengthen your motivation through affirmations, visualization and thinking about the importance of performing your task or chore or achieving your goal.

4) Have a vision of what and who you want to be
Frequently reflecting on the person we want to be, the goals we want to achieve, and the life we want to live, can motivate us to act.

5) Think about benefits
Think about the benefits you will gain if you overcome your laziness and take action, instead of thinking about the difficulties or obstacles. Focusing on the difficulties of the task or action lead to discouragement, avoidance of taking action and to laziness. It is important that you focus your mind and attention on the benefits, not on the difficulties.

6) Thinking about the consequences
Think about what will happen, if you succumb to laziness, and don’t perform your task or chore. Thinking about the consequences, if you do not act, can also push you to take action.

7) Doing one thing at a time
Focus on doing one thing at a time. If you feel you have a lot to do, you will probably feel overwhelmed and let laziness overcome you, instead of you overcoming laziness.

cool Visualization
Your imagination has a great influence on your mind, habits and action. Visualize yourself performing the task easily, energetically and enthusiastically. Do so before starting with a task or goal, and also when you feel lazy, or when your mind whispers to you to abandon what you are doing.

9) Repeat affirmations
Tell yourself:
“I can accomplish my goal.”
“I have the energy and motivation to act and do whatever I want or have to do.”
“Doing things makes me stronger.”
“Doing things makes things happen.”

10) Regards a task as an exercise
Consider each task as an exercise to make you stronger, more decisive and more assertive.

11) Procrastination
Avoid procrastination, which is a form of laziness. If there is something you have to do, why not do it right now and get through with it? Why let it stay nagging at the back of your head?

12) Learn from successful people
Watch successful people, and how they do not let laziness win. Learn from them, talk with them and associate with them.

Overcoming the habit of laziness is achieved through a series of daily actions and activities, when you choose to act, instead of remaining passive. Every time you overcome your laziness you get stronger. Every time you choose to act, you increase your ability to win, achieve goals and improve your life.

More at http://nairametro.com/12-tips-to-overcome-laziness/

19 Likes

Re: 12 Tips To Overcome Laziness by stacomaster(m): 2:50pm On Jan 31, 2013
*Yawns*

3 Likes

Re: 12 Tips To Overcome Laziness by BlackPeni5: 2:50pm On Jan 31, 2013
OK....I tried all these but I'm still lazy.

3 Likes

Re: 12 Tips To Overcome Laziness by siobahn: 2:52pm On Jan 31, 2013
k
Re: 12 Tips To Overcome Laziness by alaladakosta(f): 2:53pm On Jan 31, 2013
thanks so so,been looking for a tip like this,am not lazy but i procastinate alot.the only thing i dont procastinate on is SEX.lol grin

3 Likes

Re: 12 Tips To Overcome Laziness by go4value(m): 2:54pm On Jan 31, 2013
space not for sale
Re: 12 Tips To Overcome Laziness by Nobody: 2:56pm On Jan 31, 2013
11) Procrastination
Avoid procrastination, which is a form of laziness. If there is something you have to do, why not do it right now and get through with it? Why let it stay nagging at the back of your head?
Re: 12 Tips To Overcome Laziness by freezzz: 2:57pm On Jan 31, 2013
13) Stay off Nairaland cool

5 Likes

Re: 12 Tips To Overcome Laziness by Pankaj1106(m): 2:57pm On Jan 31, 2013
Thanks for sharing these tips regarding the laziness...I use some of them when I feel Lazy..

1 Like

Re: 12 Tips To Overcome Laziness by OluEmmaAss: 3:00pm On Jan 31, 2013
The greatest antidote to laziness is to picture what it will cost u. With poverty n misery staring him in d face, even d laziest man would work for 15 straight hours.

4 Likes

Re: 12 Tips To Overcome Laziness by Havilah93(m): 3:00pm On Jan 31, 2013
with NL, its difficult to stay 'un-lazy'
Re: 12 Tips To Overcome Laziness by paul234(m): 3:04pm On Jan 31, 2013
last to comment
Re: 12 Tips To Overcome Laziness by Codedrock(m): 3:06pm On Jan 31, 2013
No 13.
Dont let anything on earth hinder you whenever you are planing to do something

1 Like

Re: 12 Tips To Overcome Laziness by Nobody: 3:07pm On Jan 31, 2013
The only time most Nigerians are not lazy is when they are busy with their blackberry phones.who gets tired of pinging anyways ? grin
Re: 12 Tips To Overcome Laziness by Nobody: 3:08pm On Jan 31, 2013
egift: What is laziness?

It is the desire to be idle, to do nothing and resist effort.

It is a state of passivity and of letting things stay as they are.

Sometimes, we enjoy being a little lazy, such as after working hard for several hours, or on a very cold or warm day, but if this state occurs too often, something has to be done about it.

In order to perform our chores and work efficiently, and to live a full, active and successful life, we must learn how to overcome laziness.
Simple tips for overcoming laziness:

1) Break down a task into smaller tasks
We often avoid tasks because we find them too big, too overwhelming, too tiring, or taking too much of our time.

Breaking a task into several smaller tasks can solve this problem. Then, each one will not seem so difficult or intimidating. Instead of having one big task, we will have a series of small tasks, which do not require too much effort.

This approach can be applied not only to tasks, but also to goals and everything else we have or need to do. This will tend to melt much of the laziness and inner resistance we often experience.

2) Rest sleep and exercise
In some cases, laziness is due to being tired and lacking energy. If this is true in your case, you need to give yourself the rest and sleep you need, and also give your body enough exercise and fresh air.

3) Motivation
In some cases, the reason for laziness is due to lack of motivation. You can strengthen your motivation through affirmations, visualization and thinking about the importance of performing your task or chore or achieving your goal.

4) Have a vision of what and who you want to be
Frequently reflecting on the person we want to be, the goals we want to achieve, and the life we want to live, can motivate us to act.

5) Think about benefits
Think about the benefits you will gain if you overcome your laziness and take action, instead of thinking about the difficulties or obstacles. Focusing on the difficulties of the task or action lead to discouragement, avoidance of taking action and to laziness. It is important that you focus your mind and attention on the benefits, not on the difficulties.

6) Thinking about the consequences
Think about what will happen, if you succumb to laziness, and don’t perform your task or chore. Thinking about the consequences, if you do not act, can also push you to take action.

7) Doing one thing at a time
Focus on doing one thing at a time. If you feel you have a lot to do, you will probably feel overwhelmed and let laziness overcome you, instead of you overcoming laziness.

cool Visualization
Your imagination has a great influence on your mind, habits and action. Visualize yourself performing the task easily, energetically and enthusiastically. Do so before starting with a task or goal, and also when you feel lazy, or when your mind whispers to you to abandon what you are doing.

9) Repeat affirmations
Tell yourself:
“I can accomplish my goal.”
“I have the energy and motivation to act and do whatever I want or have to do.”
“Doing things makes me stronger.”
“Doing things makes things happen.”

10) Regards a task as an exercise
Consider each task as an exercise to make you stronger, more decisive and more assertive.

11) Procrastination

12) Learn from successful people
Watch successful people, and how they do not let laziness win. Learn from them, talk with them and associate with them.

Overcoming the habit of laziness is achieved through a series of daily actions and activities, when you choose to act, instead of remaining passive. Every time you overcome your laziness you get stronger. Every time you choose to act, you increase your ability to win, achieve goals and improve your life.

More at http://nairametro.com/12-tips-to-overcome-laziness/

Maybe you need to redefine laziness because I'm lazy to read this boring self knowledge bs.
Re: 12 Tips To Overcome Laziness by Nobody: 3:09pm On Jan 31, 2013
I'm leaving my footprints on the sands of time
Re: 12 Tips To Overcome Laziness by dopeJemi: 3:10pm On Jan 31, 2013

Get ur Beats by Dre Headset(not d cheap one), pLay ur favourite songs and begin ur chores or Tasks and u'lL be done sooner dan expected

1 Like

Re: 12 Tips To Overcome Laziness by abeldav(m): 3:12pm On Jan 31, 2013
Pankaj1106: Thanks for sharing these tips regarding the laziness...I use some of them when I feel Lazy..

They are really effective,as a matter of fact what makes you hardworking is the fact that you follow these rules even without knowing cool

Re: 12 Tips To Overcome Laziness by KINGwax(m): 3:14pm On Jan 31, 2013
Abeeegggiiiiii

1 Like

Re: 12 Tips To Overcome Laziness by Uceegal: 3:16pm On Jan 31, 2013
@op,tanx 4 ur points,though d r easily said than done bt I wl try dem ds tym especialy wen I feel lazy
Re: 12 Tips To Overcome Laziness by Mayowura: 3:18pm On Jan 31, 2013
Am sure the op is carrying out these tips.
If not, gbagbe e jor!
Mo ra ye time fun tips oshi!
Nice work.
Re: 12 Tips To Overcome Laziness by JOYCEOUS(f): 3:34pm On Jan 31, 2013
paul234: last to comment
FYM
Re: 12 Tips To Overcome Laziness by Goldenheart(m): 3:54pm On Jan 31, 2013
Okay thanks !!!
Re: 12 Tips To Overcome Laziness by Clemzy16(m): 4:01pm On Jan 31, 2013
I'm a lazy-freak. Also, i don't quite agree with No 2. I thought sleeping too much is the main symptom of laziness.
Re: 12 Tips To Overcome Laziness by warrior101: 4:04pm On Jan 31, 2013
~Bluetooth:
The only time most Nigerians are not lazy is when they are busy with their blackberry phones.who gets tired of pinging anyways ? grin

Cram it with walnuts, ugly. I have BB Torch (among other gadgets) and i barely use it... Only jobless nincompoop like you, ping and ping like your life depend on it... Don't be a learner.
Re: 12 Tips To Overcome Laziness by vislabraye(m): 4:09pm On Jan 31, 2013
alala dakosta: thanks so so,been looking for a tip like this,am not lazy but i procastinate alot.the only thing i dont procastinate on is SEX.lol grin

Even when it comes to that, you're still lazy. Afterall, someone will be on you doing the grinding while you just open lazily and squeeze ya face.
Re: 12 Tips To Overcome Laziness by vislabraye(m): 4:12pm On Jan 31, 2013
Major symptoms of lazy people are: Love for sleep, love for food and love for sex.
Re: 12 Tips To Overcome Laziness by Egbagirl(f): 4:23pm On Jan 31, 2013
warrior101:

Cram it with walnuts, ugly. I have BB Torch (among other gadgets) and i barely use it... Only jobless nincompoop like you, ping and ping like your life depend on it... Don't be a learner.

shocked shocked shocked cool down my broda. No be fight na. Laugh and continue on ur way. E never reach dat level. smiley
Re: 12 Tips To Overcome Laziness by warrior101: 4:29pm On Jan 31, 2013
Egba girl:

shocked shocked shocked cool down my broda. No be fight na. Laugh and continue on ur way. E never reach dat level. smiley

Thanks babe but.................................. PHUCK YOU! I WON'T DO WHAT YOU TELL ME. PHUCK YOU! I WON'T DO WHAT YOU TELL ME. PHUCK YOU! I WON'T DO WHAT YOU TELL ME. PHUCK YOU! I WON'T DO WHAT YOU TELL ME.

@Op ~ Nice one. Keep it up. grin tongue
Re: 12 Tips To Overcome Laziness by yuzedo: 4:35pm On Jan 31, 2013
*Yawn* Too lazy to read this.... cool
Re: 12 Tips To Overcome Laziness by born2boink(m): 4:40pm On Jan 31, 2013
alala dakosta: thanks so so,been looking for a tip like this,am not lazy but i procastinate alot.the only thing i dont procastinate on is SEX.lol grin
wow...... Wish we could meet.

1 Like

Re: 12 Tips To Overcome Laziness by Jochebed7(f): 4:50pm On Jan 31, 2013
i really should print this and paste where i can see it often. gr8 points

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Seven Up Bottling Company Sacks 4 Mangers For Stealing / Building A Career In Investment Banking: Please Advice / Bilkis Rafiu, A 35-Year-old female vulcanizer in Kwara State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.