Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,766 members, 7,824,216 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 05:10 AM

Is God Interested In Football? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is God Interested In Football? (1405 Views)

Is GOD GOOD TO YOU THIS YEAR / Where In The Bible Did Jesus Mentioned He Is God / Is "God" Of The Old Testament Satan? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is God Interested In Football? by nep2ra(m): 11:41am On Jan 31, 2013
It's very common to see footballers gather round to pray for a win before a match. Also common is footballers looking up to the sky and raising their hands or forefingers upwards in a gesture of gratitude to a deity when they score. Same goes for Muslim footballers who bow down in obedience when they score a goal. Some make the sign of the cross and it's not unusual to hear players or teams boast that God will give them victory in a match.

If all these players and teams lay claim to God supporting them, does it mean God is partial or has a favourite team. Is God interested in football or sports for that matter?
Re: Is God Interested In Football? by Nobody: 11:45am On Jan 31, 2013
Lololol. Some topics are just hilarious.

1 Like

Re: Is God Interested In Football? by nep2ra(m): 11:46am On Jan 31, 2013
Reyginus: Lololol. Some topics are just hilarious.

I'm glad you found humour in it.
Re: Is God Interested In Football? by saintvc(m): 2:18pm On Jan 31, 2013
yeah, GOD CREATED FOOTBALL
Re: Is God Interested In Football? by nep2ra(m): 2:27pm On Jan 31, 2013
saintvc: yeah, GOD CREATED FOOTBALL

Oh my God! undecided
Re: Is God Interested In Football? by Ubenedictus(m): 2:30pm On Jan 31, 2013
nep2ra:

Oh my God! undecided
hahahahaha, una no go kill me with laugh, amen.
Re: Is God Interested In Football? by manmustwac(m): 3:06pm On Jan 31, 2013
nep2ra: It's very common to see footballers gather round to pray for a win before a match. Also common is footballers looking up to the sky and raising their hands or forefingers upwards in a gesture of gratitude to a deity when they score. Same goes for Muslim footballers who bow down in obedience when they score a goal. Some make the sign of the cross and it's not unusual to hear players or teams boast that God will give them victory in a match.

If all these players and teams lay claim to God supporting them, does it mean God is partial or has a favourite team. Is God interested in football or sports for that matter?
I sometimes think the same thing myself, two teams huddled together in a circle on both sides of the pitch, praying for the same God to help their team win the match. Since both teams are religious which team dose God support is it the team with the highest amount of Christians that pay their tithes every week, or the team that pays their 1st fruit 2nd fruit and 100th fruit, the team with the most players that go to church every Sunday midweek and end of the month church service or the team that reads their bible on a regular basis? The answer is none of the above. In REALITY the team that wins is the team that has planned, prepared, has the best players and can work very well together as a unit.

You can even use football to look at the state of the nigerian economy. We have the worst players all greedy and selfish not willing to work together as a team to help our country progress and depending on prayers like our football players. Prayers will not guarantee any team (especially nigeria) success in this nations cup or aany football competition. Prayers are nothing but superstition.

1 Like

Re: Is God Interested In Football? by Dogohson: 3:49pm On Jan 31, 2013
God is merciful to whom He chose to have mercy
Re: Is God Interested In Football? by Nobody: 4:16pm On Jan 31, 2013
Dogohson: God is merciful to whom He chose to have mercy

Very poor philosophy, dont you think?
Re: Is God Interested In Football? by nep2ra(m): 5:01pm On Jan 31, 2013
manmustwac: I sometimes think the same thing myself, two teams huddled together in a circle on both sides of the pitch, praying for the same God to help their team win the match. Since both teams are religious which team dose God support is it the team with the highest amount of Christians that pay their tithes every week, or the team that pays their 1st fruit 2nd fruit and 100th fruit, the team with the most players that go to church every Sunday midweek and end of the month church service or the team that reads their bible on a regular basis? The answer is none of the above. In REALITY the team that wins is the team that has planned, prepared, has the best players and can work very well together as a unit.

You can even use football to look at the state of the nigerian economy. We have the worst players all greedy and selfish not willing to work together as a team to help our country progress and depending on prayers like our football players. Prayers will not guarantee any team (especially nigeria) success in this nations cup or aany football competition. Prayers are nothing but superstition.

Now this is what I call an intelligent contribution!
Re: Is God Interested In Football? by Nobody: 6:03pm On Jan 31, 2013
Their prayer shouldn't be to win matches, rather, to be free from injury and play to their maximum ability. That I think is fair.
Re: Is God Interested In Football? by vanbonattel: 6:42pm On Jan 31, 2013
Its in the money, men of God like TB Joshua even recieves visions from his god after soccer matches and claims he got the vision before the match.
Re: Is God Interested In Football? by nep2ra(m): 7:25pm On Jan 31, 2013
Reyginus: Their prayer shouldn't be to win matches, rather, to be free from injury and play to their maximum ability. That I think is fair.

Quite fair and sensible, I agree.
Re: Is God Interested In Football? by nep2ra(m): 7:29pm On Jan 31, 2013
van bonattel: Its in the money, men of God like TB Joshua even recieves visions from his god after soccer matches and claims he got the vision before the match.

I don't see how this is helpful. Everyone knows the outcome of a football match after it is played.
Re: Is God Interested In Football? by ijawkid(m): 7:52pm On Jan 31, 2013
If God answered the prÀye®s of football teams then nigÉria shoÙld have lifted up the world cup uncountable times...grin.......God does not take sides in football....infact God has no business with football matches........gringringringrin.....

And I hate it when our 9ja boys pray before playing any match........prayers do not play the match,humans do.................let them stop praying,practice more and give in there all..............

1 Like

Re: Is God Interested In Football? by Boomark(m): 8:29pm On Jan 31, 2013
^^Exately!

Footballers are on their own including those that are predicting and see vision for them.

*except me* wink
Re: Is God Interested In Football? by Paschal007: 9:03pm On Jan 31, 2013
Lol funny thread. Me thinks God is an Arsenal fan, i mean look at the way we're sacrificing all our best players. See how those that calls themselves red devils are winning. Our football is not of this world. cool

1 Like

Re: Is God Interested In Football? by nep2ra(m): 9:14pm On Jan 31, 2013
Paschal007: Lol funny thread. Me thinks God is an Arsenal fan, i mean look at the way we're sacrificing all our best players. See how those that calls themselves red devils are winning. Our football is not of this world. cool

Hahahahahahahaha...
Re: Is God Interested In Football? by nep2ra(m): 9:15pm On Jan 31, 2013
ijawkid: If God answered the prÀye®s of football teams then nigÉria shoÙld have lifted up the world cup uncountable times...grin.......God does not take sides in football....infact God has no business with football matches........gringringringrin.....

And I hate it when our 9ja boys pray before playing any match........prayers do not play the match,humans do.................let them stop praying,practice more and give in there all..............

Well said!
Re: Is God Interested In Football? by ijawkid(m): 9:32pm On Jan 31, 2013
Paschal007: Lol funny thread. Me thinks God is an Arsenal fan, i mean look at the way we're sacrificing all our best players. See how those that calls themselves red devils are winning. Our football is not of this world. cool

grin grin grin grin...lol
Re: Is God Interested In Football? by Ubenedictus(m): 12:40am On Feb 01, 2013
hahaha, i get ur drift.
Re: Is God Interested In Football? by tpia5: 1:25am On Jun 27, 2013

yes, devils like you always feel you're winning the battle even when you have lost the war.

(1) (Reply)

Fire For Fire: 36 Witches Found Dead Same Day In Lagos Street! / Help!!! I Need To Be Spiritually Balanced. / Nigeria Catholic Church Amends Age Long Tradition Due To EBOLA

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.