Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,651 members, 7,809,459 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:00 AM

Your First Nations Cup - Sports (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Your First Nations Cup (6511 Views)

Asuquo Ekpe Is Dead (He Scored Nigeria's First Nations Cup Goal) / African Under 17 Nations Cup: Golden Eaglets trashed Gabon, qualifies. / European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Your First Nations Cup by 80million1: 6:24pm On Feb 04, 2013
Senegal 92, i guess.
Re: Your First Nations Cup by jhydebaba(m): 6:26pm On Feb 04, 2013
My first nations cup was Senegal '92. I was young then but I could remember I asked questions from the adults that were around that why did players raise their hands up any time the ball gets out of play cheesy I remembered vividly how we lost to Ghana in the semis and the great YEKINI's goal against cameroun in the third place match. I also watched the final match between Ghana and Ivory Coast which ended with an historic penalty shoot out, I remembered 1 of the fans fainted and fell from the stands.
I have been following the eagles since then cheesy up super eagles of Nigeria.
Re: Your First Nations Cup by Nobody: 6:31pm On Feb 04, 2013
Mine is Maroc 88...i had gone to fetch water with my uncle and i was trying to be home early for the nigeria vs cameroun match,we were trying to be home before kickoff when the whole achara lay out enugu erupted,it was Sam Okwarajis goal.
Re: Your First Nations Cup by Nightshift(m): 6:40pm On Feb 04, 2013
My first Nations cup was in 1984. What we normally do in my family when Nigeria was playing were: tune to NTA , put the TV volume on mute mode, tune to Radio Nigeria's live commentary by the late Ernest Okonkwo(may God bless his soul)and Tolu Fatoyimbo. Increase the radio volume and enjoy the match!! Ernest Okonkwo was entertainment and history combined - never a dull moment listening to his football commentary on(FRCN)Radio Nigeria .
Re: Your First Nations Cup by wakeupgian(m): 6:54pm On Feb 04, 2013
Maroc '88
Re: Your First Nations Cup by femi4: 7:00pm On Feb 04, 2013
First Nations cup experience was SENEGAL 92.........with the final producing the longest penalty shoot out of the tournament between Ghana and CIV with Ivory coast emerging as the winner for the first and only time in their history
Re: Your First Nations Cup by pak: 8:21pm On Feb 04, 2013
MAROC 88

Remember watching it in my popsi's parlour. My parents were out of town then due to work related commitments.

So one of my uncles used to come home with a lot of friends to watch the game.

Lovely memories . . . . .I can remember manfred heoner's team was built around four players.

Rufai in goal
Keshi in Midfield
Okwaraji in midfield
and Henry Nwosu in attack

I remember Okwaraji's thunder against Cameroun (that clip was a staple on Nigerian TV till the mid nineties)

I remember yekini's goal against Kenya

I remember Rufai's wonder saves against Egypt

I remember Rufai's wonder penalty saves against algeria

I remember Keshi's thunder free kick that hit the cross bar in the final

I remember Henry Nwosu's disqualified goal in the final

. . .and sadly, I remember Emmanuel Kunde's penalty that beat Rufai for the cup cry
Re: Your First Nations Cup by Kaxmytex(m): 8:22pm On Feb 04, 2013
Re: Your First Nations Cup by Mization(m): 8:27pm On Feb 04, 2013
Iyfe Namikaze: i wonder how this made it to front page angry
Just because una manage win cote d' vore,person no go hear word again. Smh.. Imagine ''why do goalkeeper spit on their glooves'' made it to front page.. But me don dey post better thread that can enlighten and inspire nairalanders but it never made it to even backyard page.
I'm soo tempted to say ''thunder fire all this mods'',but i will refrain from writing such.
Sorry bro, just left ur page here on Nairaland and found almost nothing there, Or do u have another account here that u posted all those enlightening topics on
Re: Your First Nations Cup by OkikiOluwa1(m): 8:36pm On Feb 04, 2013
I Started watching AFCON since the early '90s but I have a vivid account from Ghana/Nigeria 2000. I remebered some matches in the S/Africa '96 competition which S/Africa eventually won. I m still convinced in my heart that if Nigeria was at that competition, we lld have won it. The same with Burkina Faso (which my dad's older brother 'Baba Tunde-Ifa' of blessed memories would love to call Orobokina Faso). Back to Ghana Nigeria 2000, Nigeria destroyed Tunisia 4-2, had a tough 0-0 against Congo DR (them get one rastaman goalkeeper wey dey catch all our ball) & tore Morocco 2-0 in the last group game.
Julius Agahowa scored a sweet winning goal in extra time against Senegal in the Quarter Final match. Jay Jay Okocha was sent off for elbowing a senegalese player early in that match while Senegal had taken the early lead. Emmanuel Amunike scored the equalizer in the dieing minute of the game. That was his last match for the Super Eagles cos he got injured somehow after scoring the goal.
In the Semi Final match, two quick goals from Tijani Babangida drowned S/Africa. The Final match was against Cameroun. I hated their players like shittt, especially Rigobert Song, Patrick Mboma & Samuel Eto'o. Eto'o & Mboma struck two early goals for Cameroun but trust the magic feet of Jay Jay Okocha. He dazzled, dribble the Camerounians diff kinda dribbles like show me your number, kolo & yomi ni pata (taking the ball through a players opened legs), skillboro, leg over, 360 degrees, zagallo & other improvised skills from the most talented midfielder ever in the World. Nigeria equalized the two earlier goals but lost painfully on penalties. It was that yeye Lefree (Referee wey no count that Ikpeba's penarity (penalty) & also Ikpeba, not knowing that his penalty had crossed the line. Cos he didn't jubilate, he was reacting as if he had lost the spot kick.
In the tourney of Mali 2002, I followed from start to finish, Senegal got their revenge & defeated Nigeria 2-1 in the Semi Final. This match made me dislike for a while, Salif Diao for scoring the winning goal for Senegal, Ike Shorunmu for slipping when he was supposed to catch the ball played by Diao comfortably & also for bad positioning when the 1st Senegalese goal was scored via a corner in the 1st half. Nigeria later won bronze in that tourney.
Tunisia 2004, Egypt 2006, Ghana 2008 till date are still fresh. So, make I rest here. Hopefully, Nigeria ll win this S/Africa 2013 AFCON so that I can come back & update this post. Up Eagles, gbàgbé òsì kí o jeun lo (forget the worries & enjoy your life).
Re: Your First Nations Cup by dayokanu(m): 9:01pm On Feb 04, 2013
My first nations cup I followed was Maroc 88.

Even though I remember watching the Golden Eaglets win in 1985 Just highlight of the final game on NTA) I didnt watch 1986 Nations cup cos Nigeria didnt qualify but I remembered watching the World cup in 1986 and Maradona Hand of God, Canada 87, Chile 87 etc

In Maroc 88 I remembered our first game 3-0 vs kenya. I remembered players like Folorunsho Okenla my fave Sam Okwaraji Yekini, Demola Adeshina , Peter Rufai Stephen keshi, Sunday Eboigbe etc

The second match vs Cameroun We were the underdog earlier in the game Okwaraji fired a rocket into the camerounian net I thought at that time that the Camerounian keeper flew out of the post to dodge the shot but Cameroun equalised later.

Third game vs Egypt I didnt watch cos there was no Light.

Semi final vs Algeria Okwaraji scored for us via a wicked deflection, Ademola Adeshina was sent off for 2 yellow card offence and Omokaro levelled the man advantage by his wicked tackle.

In the final Nigeria vs Cameroun henry Nwosu scored a nice header but was flagged for offside, Later Eboigbe brought down Milla in our box and Emmanuel Kunde dispatched the penalty.

Ndubuisi Okosieme had a chance to level but ran with the ball for over 30yrs and shot wide.

After the match I was very sad, I felt we were cheated cos I thought the foul of Milla was on the edge of the box
Re: Your First Nations Cup by vanstanzy(m): 9:12pm On Feb 04, 2013
Yeah, it was in 1980 when i bought my first private jet. winkgrin grin grin
Re: Your First Nations Cup by Maxymilliano(m): 9:31pm On Feb 04, 2013
So Mumini Alao passed out from Iganmode Grammar School in Ota kiss I came into that hood in 1993 from Igbaja Boys in Surulere but finished from AUD in 1995 as I couldn't get a slot into IGS.

My first nations cup memory was at Maroc'88 though on a black and white TV. I remembered our final game against Cameroun and how Henry Nwosu header was disallowed, I remembered our game against Algeria in the knock out stage that ended in a penalty shoot-out, I recalled vividly how the nigerian commentator kept on repeating 'Isa Shofoluwe, you must score this'. Funny I must say, I also recollect how dodo mayana rose to the occasion to save a deciding penalty from a dude named 'Belloumi' or something. Raba Madja was a constant threat then.

Algiers 90 was not a bad adventure either, we were white washed at the opening game by the host country 5 - 1, but we later made our way into the final and met with the same country but the margin was slim.

Senegal 92 was also not bad, my man of the tournament was Alen Ghormeny, not sure I got the spelling right, the ivory coast goal keeper. Our third place match against Cameroun was not without comic as Aloy Agu was seeing crawling to drag a goal bound ball from entering the net. Yekini impressed me then.

1994 is also another memory I can't forget easily, our first game against Gabon ended 3 - 0 in our favour. The only baptism of fire came in the semis against Ivory Coast where a certain Michel Basole scored first for the ivorien but which we equalized, he scored the second again and that was when I knew we were in trouble, thanks for the late equalizer that pushd the game into extra time and penalty shoot out before we came out victorious.

The final game against Zambia was not what I expected considering the tragedy that befell the Zambian team and claimed bulk of their national team player. I anticipated a stroll in the park victory for the eagles

Amuneke was the star of the game but there was constant threat from the trio of Kalusha Bwalya, Kenneth Malitoli and Elijah Litana despite the head injury he sustained from Amuneke's boot that warrant bandaging.

It was fun though but hope the current set of eagles will go the whole length to surprise doubting thomas like me...
Re: Your First Nations Cup by shadrach77: 9:33pm On Feb 04, 2013
my first nations cup was maroc 88. I remembered the late Samuel Okwaraji scoring a beautiful goal against Cameroun. Back in those days, only 8 teams participated in the nations cup so the who tournament starts from the Quarter final stage and it was more interesting back then. Peter Rufai was one of the best goalkeepers in Africa then. I remember him catching Lakhdar Belounmi's penalty during the shoot out in the semis. Then bright Omokaro sending an Algerian player out of the tournament through a brutal tackle when we were one player down. He was thus nicknamed 10-10. Sadly, this period was the beginning of Issa Hayatou's reign and the refree tried to appease him by robbing us in the final when Henry Nwosu scored a legitimate goal which was ruled offside. The refree later awarded Cameroun a dubious penalty kick. I felt really sad after the match. It took me two days to get over the loss angry angry angry
Re: Your First Nations Cup by stagger: 9:37pm On Feb 04, 2013
dayokanu: My first nations cup I followed was Maroc 88.

Even though I remember watching the Golden Eaglets win in 1985 Just highlight of the final game on NTA) I didnt watch 1986 Nations cup cos Nigeria didnt qualify but I remembered watching the World cup in 1986 and Maradona Hand of God, Canada 87, Chile 87 etc

In Maroc 88 I remembered our first game 3-0 vs kenya. I remembered players like Folorunsho Okenla my fave Sam Okwaraji Yekini, Demola Adeshina , Peter Rufai Stephen keshi, Sunday Eboigbe etc

The second match vs Cameroun We were the underdog earlier in the game Okwaraji fired a rocket into the camerounian net I thought at that time that the Camerounian keeper flew out of the post to dodge the shot but Cameroun equalised later.

Third game vs Egypt I didnt watch cos there was no Light.

Semi final vs Algeria Okwaraji scored for us via a wicked deflection, Ademola Adeshina was sent off for 2 yellow card offence and Omokaro levelled the man advantage by his wicked tackle.

In the final Nigeria vs Cameroun henry Nwosu scored a nice header but was flagged for offside, Later Eboigbe brought down Milla in our box and Emmanuel Kunde dispatched the penalty.

Ndubuisi Okosieme had a chance to level but ran with the ball for over 30yrs and shot wide.

After the match I was very sad, I felt we were cheated cos I thought the foul of Milla was on the edge of the box

We were robbed countlessly in that tournament.

1) Roger Milla's equalizer against us in the 2nd group game was a clear offside.
2) The penalty awarded to Cameroun that gave them the cup was a soft one. Roger Milla confessed years later he actually enhanced his fall and that the referee had been conned. I believe that was the first years of the simulated dives and con tactics that modern day footballers now use (e.g. Drogba's dive that won the freekick that Tiote scored).
3) In today's game, Henry Nwosu's goal would have stood because Yekini who was offside was not interfering with play. Sweet header that completely caught out Joseph-Antoine Bell in goal for Cameroun. That referee I think was later banned by CAF. Can't recall his name again: is it Idrissa Sarr or Idrissa Ba?
Re: Your First Nations Cup by logica(m): 9:49pm On Feb 04, 2013
dayokanu:
The sound of that shot still haunts me. It was a very loud thump. The only other Nigerian who delighted me by taking such long range shots was Osaro Obabaifo. It's been long I saw an Eagle score long range till the goal by Emenike yesterday.
Re: Your First Nations Cup by Eklektika(m): 10:43pm On Feb 04, 2013
I remember d 1st African Cup of Nations I watched was Maroc 88. In those days,it used 2 b affectionately called CAN. I remember Sunday Eboigbe,Yisa Sofoluwe,Sam Okwaraji,d Afro-haired Peter Rufai,Henry Nwosu et al. I remember d Malian Ref,Idrissa Saar who inexplicably disallowed Henry Nwosu's beautifully headed goal against Cameroun. Emmanuel Kunde converted a penalty afta Roger Milla was fouled. I rememba Sam Okwaraji's spectacular thunderbolt against Cameroun in d group stage. And dat tension-soaked Semi-final against Algeria wich 9ja won 9-8 on penalties. I remember it was afta dat competition dat d Vice-President named d Green Eagles Super Eagles cos he said d silver was worth its weight in gold.
I remember dat bleak Friday evning dat Alloy Agu n his defence let in 5 goals in d opening match of Algeirs 90. Emma Okocha scored 9ja's only goal afta tucking d ball in 4rm a corner. Dan Amokachi,d 17yr old rookie 4rm Rancher Bees,Uche Okechukwu,Bright Omokaro,Elastic Friday Elaho,Rashidi Yekini,et al. D likes of Cheriff El-Quazzani,dat curly-haired,mustachioned negroid Algerian spotting #14,Rrrrrrrrrabah Madger,Djamel Menad who scored dat long-range beauty against Alloy Agu. D Nations Cup I enjoyed most was Tunisia 94. 9ja came 2 d tournament wit a fearsome squad. They dispatched Gabon 3-0 wit Yekini scoring twice n Mutiu Adepoju scoring d oda,drew 0-0 wit Egypt,beat Zaire 2-0,(Yekini scored twice) n den dat epic semi-final clash wit d den defending champions,Ivory Coast who had just beaten Ghana 2-1 in a thrilling quaterfinal game. Michael Bassole scored off a corner b4 Ben Iroha scored off an Okocha stylish pass. Bassole struck again b4 Yekini finished off Finidi's gr8 run on d right. 9ja won on penalties wit Yekini scoring d final kick. Rememba dat Amokachi dance? Elijah Litana put Zambia ahead off a Bwalya corner kick in d 3rd minute but Amuneke equalized in d 5th minute. In d 25th minute,he controlled an Oliseh long range pass on his knees,dashed in2 d box n beat James Phiri wit a precise shot. It was enof 2 win 9ja d trophy.
Re: Your First Nations Cup by neksummi(m): 8:04am On Feb 05, 2013
I first nations cup was Senegal 92.
Re: Your First Nations Cup by lashane: 6:09pm On Feb 05, 2013
My first nations cup was Algiers '90. The professional players had issues with the FA and then boycotted the competition. The head of the cabal was the present coach Steven Keshi. It paved way for the infusion of local players like Dan Amokachi, Uche Okechukwu etc Yekini being a humble man joined the team.Coached by the greatest Technical Adviser we ever had in the person of Clemens Westerhof. We suffered a disgraceful defeat(5-1) to the host team Algeria in the first match which was mashalled by one of africa's best Raber Madjer and Menad. Unbelievably thou, the team re-surged back into the competition with tremendous performances,defeating Zambia in the semis but once again falling to Algeria by a lone goal in the final. I enjoyed every bit of it as i went through football rules and tutelage by my elder ones, and till date i remain an ardent lover of the sport.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Arsenal Target Wigan’s Victor Moses / See What Happened In Merrybet Shop / Rasheedat Ajibade Scores & Provides An Assist In Atletico Madrid's 4 - 1 Victory

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.