Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,482 members, 7,812,494 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 02:13 PM

Sec Sch Leavers,come Here For Some Career Advise. - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Sec Sch Leavers,come Here For Some Career Advise. (1677 Views)

Advice For Secondary School Leavers Who Are Interested In Studying Accounting / Career Advise- Ican / Cibn/cimuk/ Icsan / Job For Young School Leavers And Ond Holders (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sec Sch Leavers,come Here For Some Career Advise. by Roseey0(f): 4:18am On Feb 02, 2013
Back then in secondary school,we only heard about 3 courses; law,medicine and engineering. So most of us fashioned our careers towards that but now we know better.

I created this thread for young secondary school leavers with little or no clue of other relevant courses in universities,not just Law,Medicine and Engineering. You can state the subjects you enjoyed while in sec school with your dreams and aspiritions,so that our experienced seniors in nland can help us with courses that could best realize our drms and potentials and if possible,the best schools to apply.

I welcome you all,i will go ist.
Re: Sec Sch Leavers,come Here For Some Career Advise. by Roseey0(f): 4:44am On Feb 02, 2013
I enjoyed art subjects while in school,presently i model,act and present shows(not the big ones sha) but my drm presently is to be one of the best fashion designers the world has ever know. I said presently becos i once thought of taking up presenting as a career.

I come up with designs that my tailor dont comprehend,so after she must have done her part,i refurbish with my needle and thread and it come out so unique and beautiful that people ask me who designed it. So she advised i pursue a career in that direction. I have thought about it and have seen its an area i will enjoy.

My questions
1. Am presently applying to study English and literary studies in a university,i want to know if its relevant to my dreams of being in the fashion industry 2moro.
2. If its not,what other course can i pursue
3. I know i will be in a fashion sch one day,so i want to know if there is a good fashion school in Nigeria.
And if i can substitute my university education with the fashion school.

Over to you nlanders for advice
Re: Sec Sch Leavers,come Here For Some Career Advise. by Capnd143(m): 5:18pm On Feb 03, 2013
While in school i loved physics like die, biology like pie, i but hated math a little like tie. But i interms of extra curricular activities; the only thing i seem to like is sci-techs, i learnt nothing about computers in high but new a lot about it, i did stuff like "stealing cookies", hacking windows, activating and dislodging keyloggers while in sec school. I just knew html syntax by source viewing sites and learning 4rm it ,b4 i got accustomed to w3schools.com! I just like the techies and the comps and anything that involves logical reasoning but hated math! Now Nairalanders what do u think i should go 4?
Re: Sec Sch Leavers,come Here For Some Career Advise. by Roseey0(f): 6:01am On Feb 05, 2013
70 views still no response
Re: Sec Sch Leavers,come Here For Some Career Advise. by Capnd143(m): 11:57am On Feb 05, 2013
They are looking 4 topics like "Tonto dikeh gets new tatoo". "obj gives gej smack down" etc. Laughs in swahili. And chinese . . . .hachungi chunhongki kiki wong fu
Re: Sec Sch Leavers,come Here For Some Career Advise. by Roseey0(f): 2:33pm On Feb 06, 2013
^^ cheesy
Not a good thing for us all.
Re: Sec Sch Leavers,come Here For Some Career Advise. by movicy(m): 11:45pm On Feb 06, 2013
Am a scientist,i like attending biology lecture mostly,but things changed when i score biology=D7 in my waec,i always like 2 b a microbiologist,i like researching,can i contd in dat field again wit a good grade in ssce cert biology or i shuld obtain anoda waec form?Hell no !av lost my father nd my moda is nt financially sufficient,i av 2 move and i tink life contd,i had obtain jamb,can chemical engr b my alternative ? i like research and i hate maths but our teachers make some subject hard 4 student most of times,i want 2 b in a career i will neva regret and pipu always say its medicine,shuld medicine b a do or die course 4 me ? no no no,how i which i can become a microbiologist
Re: Sec Sch Leavers,come Here For Some Career Advise. by Coldfaya(m): 1:43pm On Feb 07, 2013
Roseey0: I enjoyed art subjects while in school,presently i model,act and present shows(not the big ones sha) but my drm presently is to be one of the best fashion designers the world has ever know. I said presently becos i once thought of taking up presenting as a career.

I come up with designs that my tailor dont comprehend,so after she must have done her part,i refurbish with my needle and thread and it come out so unique and beautiful that people ask me who designed it. So she advised i pursue a career in that direction. I have thought about it and have seen its an area i will enjoy.

My questions
1. Am presently applying to study English and literary studies in a university,i want to know if its relevant to my dreams of being in the fashion industry 2moro.
2. If its not,what other course can i pursue
3. I know i will be in a fashion sch one day,so i want to know if there is a good fashion school in Nigeria.
And if i can substitute my university education with the fashion school.

Over to you nlanders for advice

u present,u have designs in ur head which when u grab fabrics needles, it comes out good n catches d eye n
U want to study English!
To me ur case is simple; u already know u r blessed so the Fashion/Entertainment industry is waiting for u to step in.
Ok here's my lil take;
In todays world, ur passion n talent takes u beyond where d course u study in School can take u.
English or performing/theatre arts will be good for u so as to train u into becoming a better presenter as u'll b thought the basics of presentation.
My advice is; if u r not in d uni yet, enroll urself into a fashion school while waiting for addmission, buh if already in school, u can use ur holidays n breaks in d fashion school.
Re: Sec Sch Leavers,come Here For Some Career Advise. by Coldfaya(m): 1:47pm On Feb 07, 2013
Capnd143: While in school i loved physics like die, biology like pie, i but hated math a little like tie. But i interms of extra curricular activities; the only thing i seem to like is sci-techs, i learnt nothing about computers in high but new a lot about it, i did stuff like "stealing cookies", hacking windows, activating and dislodging keyloggers while in sec school. I just knew html syntax by source viewing sites and learning 4rm it ,b4 i got accustomed to w3schools.com! I just like the techies and the comps and anything that involves logical reasoning but hated math! Now Nairalanders what do u think i should go 4?

Y not go into apply to study somtin related to comps u like. Info tech/Software engr/or comp engr. Wat do u think
Re: Sec Sch Leavers,come Here For Some Career Advise. by Capnd143(m): 2:12pm On Feb 07, 2013
Cold faya:

Y not go into apply to study somtin related to comps u like. Info tech/Software engr/or comp engr. Wat do u think
working on it bro!
Re: Sec Sch Leavers,come Here For Some Career Advise. by Roseey0(f): 10:35pm On Feb 09, 2013
Cold faya:

u present,u have designs in ur head which when u grab fabrics needles, it comes out good n catches d eye n
U want to study English!
To me ur case is simple; u already know u r blessed so the Fashion/Entertainment industry is waiting for u to step in.
Ok here's my lil take;
In todays world, ur passion n talent takes u beyond where d course u study in School can take u.
English or performing/theatre arts will be good for u so as to train u into becoming a better presenter as u'll b thought the basics of presentation.
My advice is; if u r not in d uni yet, enroll urself into a fashion school while waiting for addmission, buh if already in school, u can use ur holidays n breaks in d fashion school.
Thanks for your contribution
i guess i will stick to this for now.
Re: Sec Sch Leavers,come Here For Some Career Advise. by Roseey0(f): 10:42pm On Feb 09, 2013
movicy: Am a scientist,i like attending biology lecture mostly,but things changed when i score biology=D7 in my waec,i always like 2 b a microbiologist,i like researching,can i contd in dat field again wit a good grade in ssce cert biology or i shuld obtain anoda waec form?Hell no !av lost my father nd my moda is nt financially sufficient,i av 2 move and i tink life contd,i had obtain jamb,can chemical engr b my alternative ? i like research and i hate maths but our teachers make some subject hard 4 student most of times,i want 2 b in a career i will neva regret and pipu always say its medicine,shuld medicine b a do or die course 4 me ? no no no,how i which i can become a microbiologist
Best thing dear,rewrite weac again to make your biology, sorry about your dad,God rest his soul. You will do well as a mcrobiologist. God will see you through. Amen
Re: Sec Sch Leavers,come Here For Some Career Advise. by Roseey0(f): 10:43pm On Feb 09, 2013
More opinions are welcomed Nairalanders
Re: Sec Sch Leavers,come Here For Some Career Advise. by Coldfaya(m): 11:03am On Feb 11, 2013
Roseey0:
Best thing dear,rewrite weac again to make your biology, sorry about your dad,God rest his soul. You will do well as a mcrobiologist. God will see you through. Amen

Good one. U might wanna explore other options like nursing science since u like biology. U become a professional nurse; they do very well also. Nurses r always in demand n mk good money. Buh if u so convinced about mcb, den go for it buh trust me mcb is not too viable in Nig. Best wishes.
Re: Sec Sch Leavers,come Here For Some Career Advise. by Nmeri17: 9:13pm On Aug 21, 2013
You give career advice BEFORE senior secondary school not after.By the end of their secondary education they've already choosed and decided what it is they want to do wid their lives.By ss2 i was still as confused AF lol.
Re: Sec Sch Leavers,come Here For Some Career Advise. by jidowu(m): 11:05am On Aug 23, 2013
I would gladly advice science students to go for courses in the built environment like architecture, building, quantity survey, estate management, urban and regional planning, land survey and geoinformatics cos they are all vibrant and professional courses on their own,its just an advice thou
Re: Sec Sch Leavers,come Here For Some Career Advise. by Nobody: 10:50pm On Aug 24, 2013
Hi guys I never knew such a thread like this ever existed on nairaland.
Mine is a pathetic story but all the same I am glad that I am on the right path again to follow and do what I know how to best.
During my sec school like the op said, the career messages being preached to us was just that stated by her and I fell for it. As a new dude from sec school I did well in both my jamb and my post jamb as a science student. But I was denied admission to study medicine. I was given zoology, though I love the course cos it's scientific in nature but it ain't the kind of science that entice me. So guys I have identified myself and my personality, and after my second year now, I just have to go back to my dream which is Geology, it's a field i love with passion, talk about those floating rocks(pumice) et al and I won't be caught unaware. I love geology cos it is scientific and it deals with the earth. I love studying my maps very well as a kid and I had read most things about geography since my primary school cos it doesn't bore me at all. So my advice to u guys is to follow up ur dreams, there is joy achievement and success in doing what u love doing, that's the only thing that can make to be at the top of ur career.
Re: Sec Sch Leavers,come Here For Some Career Advise. by Roseey0(f): 7:10am On Oct 06, 2013
Nmeri17: You give career advice BEFORE senior secondary school not after.By the end of their secondary education they've already choosed and decided what it is they want to do wid their lives.By ss2 i was still as confused AF lol.
You already said you were confused even up to ss2,that is the reason why its for sch leavers. Cos atleast by then,you wont be confused as to the subjects you enjoyed in sch,what you have always dreamt of,then we can help you put the piece together.

This is to encourage everyone,its not too late to take up your life long drm. You have to be happy doing whatever is it you end up to become in life.
Re: Sec Sch Leavers,come Here For Some Career Advise. by Roseey0(f): 7:13am On Oct 06, 2013
Am happy you picked up immediately. Its for your own good,in future,no matter the stress, u will still be happy you are helping the world.

Keep it up@ Peterjosh.

1 Like

Re: Sec Sch Leavers,come Here For Some Career Advise. by Roseey0(f): 7:18am On Oct 06, 2013
jidowu: I would gladly advice science students to go for courses in the built environment like architecture, building, quantity survey, estate management, urban and regional planning, land survey and geoinformatics cos they are all vibrant and professional courses on their own,its just an advice thou
Young sch leavers,i hope you are taking note of these. There are lots of professional courses people are neglecting.

Lets hear the subjects you enjoyed,your drms and aspirations. Someone here may help you. You shouldn't jst follow the crowd,stand out today and be different.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Working Principles And Installation Of An Outdoor Feeder Pillar / 77RRI Nigerian Army Shortlisted Candidates 2018/2019 For Pre-screening / Cibn:is There Any Training Center In Ikorodu?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.