Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,973 members, 7,817,865 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:33 PM

Why Do Goalkeepers Spit Into Gloves? - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Why Do Goalkeepers Spit Into Gloves? (17755 Views)

Top 10 Goalkeepers Of All Time / 10 Best African Goalkeepers Of All Time. / The Greatest And The Best Goalkeepers Of All Time (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Goalkeepers Spit Into Gloves? by oloriooko(m): 6:10am On Feb 04, 2013
I have noticed this gross and irritating act where football goalkeepers spit into their gloves whenever they are preparing to defend their goals.

Is it an unconscious spontaneous action or just one dirty habit developed by many of them unknowingly

I think this is unhygienic and very irritating cos I do not believe it helps hold the ball firmly rather it should make it slippery

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Goalkeepers Spit Into Gloves? by Nobody: 6:20am On Feb 04, 2013
I guess it's a superstitious belief that such an action will bring good luck to the team.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Goalkeepers Spit Into Gloves? by thorpido(m): 8:11am On Feb 04, 2013
They spit because it helps to improve grip.
When I used to keep,I discovered another method.I pour coca-cola on my gloves.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Goalkeepers Spit Into Gloves? by oloriooko(m): 9:40am On Feb 04, 2013
@ thorpido

They spit because it helps to improve grip.
does it mean the gloves are slippery or what?

shocked shocked shocked
Re: Why Do Goalkeepers Spit Into Gloves? by Afam4eva(m): 6:07pm On Feb 04, 2013
thorpido: They spit because it helps to improve grip.
The bolded sounds more plausible.
Re: Why Do Goalkeepers Spit Into Gloves? by redcliff: 6:12pm On Feb 04, 2013
[size=14pt]TO increase the friction and for better grip of the ball cos most times when a shot is fired it comes with sand and its a tad slippery. (in a dry way)[/size]

1 Like

Re: Why Do Goalkeepers Spit Into Gloves? by Nobody: 6:12pm On Feb 04, 2013
oloriooko:
I think this is unhygienic and very irritating cos I do not believe it helps hold the ball firmly rather it should make it slippery
undecided Na u dey wash jersey after match? grin

On a serious note though, interesting observation
Anyways, from yahoo answers

to make them sticky...
depends on the type of glove you have. if you have something with good foam (3mm latxex and up) that AREN'T specifically for water, you want to wash them in luke warm water with mild soap (either laundry, dish or hand) and just rub that in until they look cleaner... squeeze them dry (don't wring them out) and let them air dry... i put them between a towel and walk on it.... it dries them and gets additional dirt out. you can then put a dry towel on an air vent and leaves the gloves on top of that... they will probably dry in 12 hours.

before playing put a bit of water (not so they are soaked through!) on them, [b]and spit as needed during the game. [/b]if your using a glove that is meant for wet conditions (IE aquatec or some similar model) soak them thouroughly about 15 minutes prior to game time, and put a good bit more on at half.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Goalkeepers Spit Into Gloves? by dridowu: 6:12pm On Feb 04, 2013
I will call eenyeama now....................., d guy no gri pik my call

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Goalkeepers Spit Into Gloves? by OluEmmaAss: 6:15pm On Feb 04, 2013
Perhaps to reduce d impact of shots on their palms.
Re: Why Do Goalkeepers Spit Into Gloves? by jhydebaba(m): 6:15pm On Feb 04, 2013
Go and ask FIFA embarassed embarassed

1 Like

Re: Why Do Goalkeepers Spit Into Gloves? by ignis: 6:18pm On Feb 04, 2013
When has Nairaland turned to Google?
Why would one come on a forum as this and be asking irrelevant questions? SMH

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Goalkeepers Spit Into Gloves? by Kingslaw(m): 6:18pm On Feb 04, 2013
What is the next story?
Re: Why Do Goalkeepers Spit Into Gloves? by nnamanis(m): 6:19pm On Feb 04, 2013
They usually spit on their gloves because they know that this mumu topic will make the front page!!

6 Likes

Re: Why Do Goalkeepers Spit Into Gloves? by 80million1: 6:23pm On Feb 04, 2013
i think it's a reflex action.
Re: Why Do Goalkeepers Spit Into Gloves? by Nobody: 6:23pm On Feb 04, 2013
Its to enhance friction and grip but more of superstition or conditioned reflex reaction.

Some keepers do it when the are about to go for aerial balls from the flanks like corners or crosses from the wings,they believe it helps to prevent the ball from slipping off their hands.some do it out of superstition,they saw other older goalies doing it when they were still learning and it stuck,same way some players will touch the grass and make a sign of the cross or touch their lips or some players and goalies who try to touch the ball and kiss it just before penalty kick.
Re: Why Do Goalkeepers Spit Into Gloves? by 1Dray(m): 6:24pm On Feb 04, 2013
Hmmm... U go fear na. Some question...
Re: Why Do Goalkeepers Spit Into Gloves? by momodub: 6:33pm On Feb 04, 2013
simply for grips
Re: Why Do Goalkeepers Spit Into Gloves? by Capnd143(m): 6:35pm On Feb 04, 2013
Its topics like this that make front page, while educating and interesting articles go unviewed. To seun; nairaland needs moderation rebranding!

Nairaland is turning into nigeria with 2 much favouritism and the leaders(mods) are corrupt!
OK. . . . . 3 years ban 4 me!. Starts crying!

1 Like

Re: Why Do Goalkeepers Spit Into Gloves? by mysticgal(f): 6:35pm On Feb 04, 2013
they need to reduce the saliva in their mouth.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Goalkeepers Spit Into Gloves? by cheddarking(m): 6:40pm On Feb 04, 2013
Let me the google the [url=answer]http://lmgtfy.com/?q=why+do+goalkeepers+spit+in+their+gloves%3F[/url] for you
Re: Why Do Goalkeepers Spit Into Gloves? by Adanyebe(m): 6:42pm On Feb 04, 2013
because they dont want to end up lying on the ground with their bodies rubbing the spit and mucus on the grass.... nice practice for hygiene

1 Like

Re: Why Do Goalkeepers Spit Into Gloves? by Nobody: 6:46pm On Feb 04, 2013
simply to increase grip. here is the basis: Leather has more friction when it is wet and vice versa. more friction means less probability of the ball slipping off but not like that Emenike's shot against CIV smiley

1 Like

Re: Why Do Goalkeepers Spit Into Gloves? by Nobody: 6:47pm On Feb 04, 2013
Table Leg :

No ... You are wrong, moro...n!

I believe you can make your point without being insulting. I'llhave to report your comment to the mods.

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Goalkeepers Spit Into Gloves? by rico73(m): 6:59pm On Feb 04, 2013
#80million:
#80million:
#80million:
reflex ke! Ok o!
Re: Why Do Goalkeepers Spit Into Gloves? by oboy3(m): 6:59pm On Feb 04, 2013
Haaaaaa.....let me think.......erm.......erm...hmmm.................uhnnn
Dont know,dont care
Re: Why Do Goalkeepers Spit Into Gloves? by Ninilowo(m): 7:10pm On Feb 04, 2013
Kingslaw: What is the next story?

Tonto Dikeh on the Loose grin
Re: Why Do Goalkeepers Spit Into Gloves? by ayobase(m): 7:13pm On Feb 04, 2013
ignis: When has Nairaland turned to Google?
Why would one come on a forum as this and be asking irrelevant questions? SMH

U saw this as an irrelevant question?

When did u just this train of "irrelevant questions"?

U better thank God that this is one better off!
Re: Why Do Goalkeepers Spit Into Gloves? by Asis(m): 7:15pm On Feb 04, 2013
Yea apart from helping them have a firm grip,am thinking there could b a psychological thing attached..
Re: Why Do Goalkeepers Spit Into Gloves? by Francheezy(m): 7:25pm On Feb 04, 2013
me tinks fifa sed players shldnt sp!t 0n d fl0oR aga!n, x0 keepers sp!t 0n de!r gl0ves while d 0daz p0uR spit int0 d water bottle nd make 0daz dr!nk it

(1) (2) (Reply)

What Nneka Ogwumike Is Saying About USA Basketball Decision, FIBA Denial / Osi Umenyiora Celebrates His 39th Birthday Today / Cristiano Ronaldo has now scored against 170 DIFFERENT teams in his career.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.