Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,822 members, 7,810,148 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:47 PM

How Can I Reclaim My Belgian Citizenship? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / How Can I Reclaim My Belgian Citizenship? (1432 Views)

How Do I Reclaim My Money From Discovery Air / Nigerian Man Used Me For Money And Citizenship / Illegal Immigrants In The US Will Be Entitled Citizenship (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Can I Reclaim My Belgian Citizenship? by adolmax: 12:36pm On Feb 04, 2013
good day nairalanders,
plz i have an issue bothering me,i was born in belgium to nigerian parents in 1986,i was able to skool till i was 6 years old (i have my birth certificate and pictures to prove that) b4 coming back to naija.
now i am tried of naija and will like to knw if i am still entitled to citizenship, and if i am what are the procedures it will take to reclaim my citizenship. i will like to have help from all corners.
thanks
Re: How Can I Reclaim My Belgian Citizenship? by omega25red(m): 4:13pm On Feb 04, 2013
You might want to contact the Belgian consulate if there is one in your area. They should be able to give you all the info you will need.
Would you by any chance have the passport you used to return to Nigeria? because if you do then you have have really good proof that you are who you say you are otherwise it would take months (maybe) for them to go dig up your birth record and take finger prints to use for comparison. Wish you good luck.
Re: How Can I Reclaim My Belgian Citizenship? by optimusprime2(m): 10:10am On Feb 08, 2013
Omegared is right, the process would be a whole lot easier if you have the Passport you used to return to Nigeria from Belgium.
Asides your Birth-Certificate, you should also have documentary proof to show you(and your parents) lived in Belgium for over 5yrs- in your case you could show your report cards from school, since you schooled there, and possibly hospital sheets/bills.
But coming to think of it, you should have done this like yesterday, issues like this get stickier as time passes because you will be assumed to have embraced Nigerian Nationality by now.
Anyway contact either of the Belgium embassies ASAP- ones @ Lagos the other is @Abuja.
Goodluck Mate.
Re: How Can I Reclaim My Belgian Citizenship? by Nobody: 9:27pm On Feb 12, 2013
Hello OP,

I just called the Belgium Consulate in Toronto on your behalf.
As per the consulate, one of your parents has to be a Belgian citizen in order for you to claim the Belgian Citizenship.
This rule applies even if you were born in Belgium.

If you have further questions, you can post them here and I will get answers from the consulate for you.
The Belgium consulate number in Toronto is 416-944-1422

Or you can send them your questions to toronto@diplobel.fed.be

Thanks,

(1) (Reply)

Hotels In Aba,abia State. / A Nairalander's Visit To University Of Ibadan Zoological Garden(photos) / Canada Wants 1 Million More Immigrants Over Next 3 Years

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.