Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,959 members, 7,821,377 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:10 PM

Does Anyone Not Know What Cognitive Dissonance Is? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Does Anyone Not Know What Cognitive Dissonance Is? (1425 Views)

7 Things You May Not Know About #goodfriday / The Issue Of Witches/wizards/and Emere That You Did Not Know About / Does Anyone Believe That 3am Is Really The Evil/demon Hour? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does Anyone Not Know What Cognitive Dissonance Is? by tpaine: 11:54pm On Mar 10, 2008
Does anyone not know what Cognitive Dissonance is?
Re: Does Anyone Not Know What Cognitive Dissonance Is? by tpaine: 11:28am On Mar 17, 2008
ah agh. Does no one know what this is about?
Re: Does Anyone Not Know What Cognitive Dissonance Is? by Nobody: 1:29pm On Mar 17, 2008
Cognitive dissonance is a psychological state that describes the uncomfortable feeling between what one holds to be true and what one knows to be true. Similar to ambivalence, the term cognitive dissonance describes conflicting thoughts or beliefs (cognitions) that occur at the same time, or when engaged in behaviors that conflict with one's beliefs. In academic literature, the term refers to attempts to reduce the discomfort of conflicting thoughts, by performing actions that are opposite to one's beliefs.

In simple terms, it can be the filtering of information that conflicts with what one already believes, in an effort to ignore that information and reinforce one's beliefs. In detailed terms, it is the perception of incompatibility between two cognitions, where "cognition" is defined as any element of knowledge, including attitude, emotion, belief, or behavior. The theory of cognitive dissonance states that contradicting cognitions serve as a driving force that compels the mind to acquire or invent new thoughts or beliefs, or to modify existing beliefs, so as to reduce the amount of dissonance (conflict) between cognitions. Experiments have attempted to quantify this hypothetical drive. Some of these have examined how beliefs often change to match behavior when beliefs and behavior are in conflict.

Social psychologist Leon Festinger first proposed the theory in 1957 after the publication of his book When Prophecy Fails, observing the counterintuitive belief persistence of members of a UFO doomsday cult and their increased proselytization after the leader's prophecy failed. The failed message of earth's destruction, purportedly sent by aliens to a woman in 1956, became a disconfirmed expectancy that increased dissonance between cognitions, thereby causing most members of the impromptu cult to lessen the dissonance by accepting a new prophecy: that the aliens had instead spared the planet for their sake.[1]

Maintaining conflicting principles (e.g. logically incompatible beliefs) or rejecting reasonable behavior to avoid conflict can be increasingly maladaptive (non-beneficial) as the gap being bridged widens, and popular usage tends to stress the maladaptive aspect. Cognitive dissonance is often associated with the tendency for people to resist information that they don't want to think about, because if they did it would create cognitive dissonance, and perhaps require them to act in ways that depart from their comfortable habits. They usually have at least partial awareness of the information, without having moved to full acceptance of it, and are thus in a state of denial about it. This "irrational inability to incorporate rational information" is perhaps the most common perception of cognitive dissonance, and this or another example of extreme maladaption would appear to be underlying many conceptions of the term in popular usage.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cognitive_dissonance
Re: Does Anyone Not Know What Cognitive Dissonance Is? by Nobody: 1:35pm On Mar 17, 2008
But you make the mistake of confusing the christian beliefs with other relegions or theories. The basis of our religion is FAITH. Not by sight or reason, but absolute belief and trust in God. How else can we explain the death and resurection of Christ, the Blessed trinity, the pregnant Virgin and others.

We believe in God and the power behind his ressurection, and thats it. Your cognitive dissonance or not!!!
Re: Does Anyone Not Know What Cognitive Dissonance Is? by Scopium: 1:44pm On Mar 17, 2008
[size=13pt]@ poster
You are online all you had to was to do the research by yourself. Well there you have it, a-z.[/size]
Re: Does Anyone Not Know What Cognitive Dissonance Is? by tpaine: 1:45pm On Mar 17, 2008
Ujujoan:

But you make the mistake of confusing the christian beliefs with other relegions or theories. The basis of our religion is FAITH. Not by sight or reason, but absolute belief and trust in God. How else can we explain the death and resurection of Christ, the Blessed trinity, the pregnant Virgin and others.

We believe in God and the power behind his ressurection, and thats it. Your cognitive dissonance or not!!!

Are you saying that your belief system need NOT be founded on fact?  What is there is factual evidence that Jesus NEVER existed?  As an article of FAITH you would still be right in maintaining your belief and faith?
Re: Does Anyone Not Know What Cognitive Dissonance Is? by tpaine: 1:47pm On Mar 17, 2008
Scopium:

[size=13pt]@ poster
You are online all you had to was to do the research by yourself. Well there you have it, a-z.[/size]

Does the subject of my post suggest that I did not know? I was simply using a literary device to start a conversation. smiley
Re: Does Anyone Not Know What Cognitive Dissonance Is? by Nobody: 3:49pm On Mar 17, 2008
tpaine:

Are you saying that your belief system need NOT be founded on fact? What is there is factual evidence that Jesus NEVER existed? As an article of FAITH you would still be right in maintaining your belief and faith?

Am saying that as christians, we belive that he's ways are not our ways. The basis of our belief is the existence of God and the blessed trinity. The bible was written by humans, under the unction of the Spirit. But The church identifies 'mystries', and thats where our faith comes into play. I cannot question God, or his word, I can only try to live by his commandments and look forward to an eternity with him. You should too you know!! I also believe that on that day, all things will be made clear, for everyone to see. Thats the whole point, BELIEF. It free for you to choose.

I heard this testimony of a lady who the doctors confirmed barren. She had a complication and her womb was removed. The doctors told her it was impossible for her to have a child. I mean lets face it, where will the child grow? But nothing is impossible for God. Today, she has a son, born from that same womb that was removed. How about that? She refused to accept she was barren, and she ended up not being. Faith transcends all human reasoning, psycology and facts. It's just beleiveing!!
Re: Does Anyone Not Know What Cognitive Dissonance Is? by tpaine: 4:02pm On Mar 17, 2008
Ujujoan:

Am saying that as christians, we believe that he's ways are not our ways. The basis of our belief is the existence of God and the blessed trinity. The bible was written by humans, under the unction of the Spirit. But The church identifies 'mystries', and thats where our faith comes into play. I cannot question God, or his word, I can only try to live by his commandments and look forward to an eternity with him. You should too you know!! I also believe that on that day, all things will be made clear, for everyone to see. Thats the whole point, BELIEF. It free for you to choose.

I heard this testimony of a lady who the doctors confirmed barren. She had a complication and her womb was removed. The doctors told her it was impossible for her to have a child. I mean lets face it, where will the child grow? But nothing is impossible for God. Today, she has a son, born from that same womb that was removed. How about that? She refused to accept she was barren, and she ended up not being. Faith transcends all human reasoning, psycology and facts. It's just beleiveing!!

Do you really believe her entire womb was removed?

Is there evidence that her womb was removed?

Did she regrow a new womb?

Is she still in possession of this new womb?

Was she able to produce other babies from this womb?

Do you believe this story as FACTUAL or do you take on FAITH. If you take it on FAITH, just as you presumably accept the virgin birth, then it may be "real" seen thru the spectacles of FAITH not not real looking at thru the spectacle of reason. You see what I mean, don't you?
Re: Does Anyone Not Know What Cognitive Dissonance Is? by Nobody: 1:04pm On Mar 18, 2008
I beleive that with God, all things are POSSIBLE!! I beleive in the immaculate conception and I beilev in the death and ressurestion of Chirst. All these, I beleive based on faith and not but sight (or reasons)!!!
Re: Does Anyone Not Know What Cognitive Dissonance Is? by tpaine: 1:09pm On Mar 18, 2008
Ujujoan:

I beleive that with God, all things are POSSIBLE!! I beleive in the immaculate conception and I beilev in the death and ressurestion of Chirst. All these, I beleive based on faith and not but sight (or reasons)!!!

By the same token, the claims of the mosl-ems, buddhist, pagans are also worthy of believing, don't they. Therefore, who hold the upper ground? You should not be able to dismiss any of the other religious claims then because you have no mechanism of distinguishing myth from truth.

(1) (Reply)

Heaven As Written By A 17 Year Old Boy / Viaro And Nuclearboy Lets continue Here / Shocking! What A Sinful World! Read And Wise-up!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.