Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,848 members, 7,810,268 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:57 AM

Help On Installing Softwares On Ubuntu - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Help On Installing Softwares On Ubuntu (665 Views)

Using Mtn Modem On Ubuntu Linux / How Do I Install Visafone Modem On Ubuntu? / Ubuntu Linux (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Help On Installing Softwares On Ubuntu by ojesymsym: 2:32pm On Mar 11, 2008
I just downloaded a software online (Gyache), i need direction on how to install it on my ubuntu. I am just a new user and will appreciate some small pep talk. it is a tar file. Thanks for ur anticipated response. And pls, Is it possible to get free softwares sent to some1 d way d installation disk is sent.
Re: Help On Installing Softwares On Ubuntu by adewaleafolabi(m): 3:44pm On Mar 11, 2008
If you're within lagos try calling 08022982697 his name is bobby tell him u need the apt cd.
Re: Help On Installing Softwares On Ubuntu by mimohmi(m): 4:22pm On Mar 14, 2008

@ ojesymsym

Ok, if I might add. Software for linux are packaged in very different format,
depending on the distribution. e.g Red Hat uses rpm, debian uses deb. But when
it come to packaging software for any brand of linux, there comes the .bin, tar,
tar.gz. All these are archiving files like winzip.

To install any of them, you have to uncompressed the tar file into a folder.
Sorry depending the level you want to install the package. Set the file
permission, if I want the application to read,write and execute by all
the user of my linux box, I will just use the chmod command:

sudo chmod 777 file_name

To extract the file, you can use the archive graphical tool.

Left click on the tar file and select open with archive manager
or down and select extract here.

After the extraction, you will see a readme file, in it all the
process of installation will be stated. Once you identify the
the file that contain the installation script. Type

sudo ./file_name

That's all. Any doubt ? Just Post

(1) (Reply)

What Internet Connection Can I Use With My Hp Pavilion Dv6700 Laptop / Desktop Computer Accessories For Sale / How Do I Connect My Laptop To The Internet Using A Phone

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.