Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,111 members, 7,814,895 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:26 PM

Player Rating - Nigeria Vs Burkina Faso AFCON Final - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Player Rating - Nigeria Vs Burkina Faso AFCON Final (8858 Views)

Player Rating: Nigeria Vs Egypt / Player Rating: Nigeria Vs Swaziland / Nigeria Vs Burkina Faso - AFCON 2013 Final (1 - 0) - On 10th February 2013 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Player Rating - Nigeria Vs Burkina Faso AFCON Final by Nobody: 7:36am On Feb 11, 2013
Another great game. Learnt from old habit of going complacent after taking lead. Fought till the end.

Enyeama: saved the day on many occasions, parrying impossible angle shots from the Burkina boys. Good leadership too, coordinating and charging defenders to avoid loss of concentration. 8

Oboabona: another fantastic outing from the NPL lad. Rock-solid at the back, nodding away balls that have been headed home by Burkina attackers. 7.5

Omeruo: consistently great. Pocketed Bance the way he pocketed Drogba earlier. He was a general in the back. 8

Ambrose: what can one say? Now proved beyond doubt that he is no fluke, forget about his inefficiency in some games before the AFCON. Did well in right back, despite being a natural centre back. Confidently pushing forward, attacking and assisting attackers. 8

Echiejile: I have criticised him many times as not effective in the left back like TT and poorer in moving forward. He isn't that bad, after all. Poor crosses/passes from the left, but still performed above average. 6

Onazi: Covered the defenders, assisted Mikel. Decent game. 7

Mikel: another great outing. Throwing the passes, unfortunately no Emenike to connect the passes but Ideye tried. Didn't move deep forward. Blocked many balls from reaching our defence. Helped retain fluidity in the midfield, although Marseille's Charles Kabore also matched him in the midfield in this game unlike previous games where he was completely dominant. 8

Mba: partnered well with Onazi and Mikel in the midfield triangle. Handled the midfield well. But above all, his daring runs and quickly taken goal was world-class. 8

Moses: Obviously not 100% fit, so didn't make many daring runs. But he was fantastic still, holding the ball, threatening the Burkina defence, partnering with Ideye well. He missed a couple of chances he could have buried though. 7.5

Ideye: Constant threat in Burkina defence. A less powerful version of Emenike. Great game all the same. 7

Uche: Not his confident self again, probably having lost some confidence since not doing well in prior games and relegated to bench. Couldn't make the daring dribbles that earned him the nickname 'garri master'. Couldn't fire his trademark shots too. 5

SUBS

Musa: Came in for Uche and added more bite to attack. Couple of decent balls to the central attack. Decent game, but still not the Musa we named 'Air Nigeria' just few years ago. 6.5

Oshaniwa: Replaced injured Echiejile. First ball, he was almost beaten by a Burkina winger, but pulled the guy down, earning a yellow card for himself. Also tried to push forward like Echiejile, but less sharp. 5

Yobo: Thrown in to waste time and to receive the trophy. Unrated.

MAN OF THE MATCH: Mba - if not for anything for delivering the decider.

The technical crew also did a good job, sticking to the winning team.

8 Likes

Re: Player Rating - Nigeria Vs Burkina Faso AFCON Final by tbaba1234: 7:44am On Feb 11, 2013
Turning points!

1. Enyeama save against ethiopia: If this went in, we would have been knocked out. Brilliant save from pointblank range.

2. The Penalties from Moses: After losing the first penalty of the Tournament, we needed to score a couple to see it through the group stage. Moses stepped up and scored. We were through to the Knock-out stages.

3. Enyeama save against CIV: Yaya was through on goal and Enyeama saved again. At 1-1, CIV could have gone ahead but for the stop.

4. Sunday Mba scores: Nigeria's next star, Mba makes a name for himself by scoring against the highly fancied Ivorians. The lowest profile player scores the decider in a game full of Super stars.

5. Mikel nicks the ball off Lacina: Vital from Mikel.. The game was almost over and Mikel comes up with a last ditch tackle that saved Nigeria's blushes...

6. Mba again!!: Beautiful individual effort in the final of a competition of this magnitude. Surely moving to a better club soon.

7. Enyeama pulls off another great save: The BK team would have been let back into the game but for an incredible stop by Enyeama

What other events do you consider to be turning points??

4 Likes

Re: Player Rating - Nigeria Vs Burkina Faso AFCON Final by outrage: 7:57am On Feb 11, 2013
No use for this one again now!

All of them na 10 abeg! They are going to bring the cup home, so all this one na wash.

3 Likes

Re: Player Rating - Nigeria Vs Burkina Faso AFCON Final by oluplus(m): 8:07am On Feb 11, 2013
Why is this not in fp?
Re: Player Rating - Nigeria Vs Burkina Faso AFCON Final by 9icest: 9:04am On Feb 11, 2013
Mr. Jarus, what matters is we won! We are the best in Africa! cheesy
The ratings can wait until the next continental or world cup abeg grin

Get inspired, visit
www.inspired.com.ng
for your daily inspirational dose!
Re: Player Rating - Nigeria Vs Burkina Faso AFCON Final by MEILYN(m): 9:04am On Feb 11, 2013
hahaha confirm...dey all did well
Re: Player Rating - Nigeria Vs Burkina Faso AFCON Final by ndala(m): 9:04am On Feb 11, 2013
AFCON 2013 OFFICIAL RESULT...
NIGERIA --------------G ­­old
BOKINA FASO -------Silver
MALI --------------- ­­ --Bronze
GHANA --------------- ­­ Indomie
B tongue

4 Likes

Re: Player Rating - Nigeria Vs Burkina Faso AFCON Final by uzeba(m): 9:06am On Feb 11, 2013
Na me be man of the match oo!! because i prayed and fasted for nigeria to win the match!! Am a proud nigerian!!
Re: Player Rating - Nigeria Vs Burkina Faso AFCON Final by uzeba(m): 9:10am On Feb 11, 2013
Our Eagles who art in AFCON.
Victory be thy name, thy trophy come.
Thy cup be brought to us, as it was in the past.
Bring us this trophy, our Eagles coach and forgive those who killed Victor Moses' parents, as we forgave those who stole our subsidy funds, and lead us not not into extra time, but deliver us in 90 mins.
For thine is the trophy, the title and the reward, as 2013 is concerned the year of restoration and settlement.. .. ..AMEN !!!!

1 Like

Re: Player Rating - Nigeria Vs Burkina Faso AFCON Final by JideTheBlogger(m): 9:10am On Feb 11, 2013
outrage: No use for this one again now!

All of them na 10 abeg! They are going to bring the cup home, so all this one na wash.

#Gbam
Re: Player Rating - Nigeria Vs Burkina Faso AFCON Final by ogayor: 9:10am On Feb 11, 2013
ndala: AFCON 2013 OFFICIAL RESULT...

B tongue

I dey laugh ooo. Indomie for my Ghana friends
Re: Player Rating - Nigeria Vs Burkina Faso AFCON Final by shfizle(m): 9:11am On Feb 11, 2013
going to ghanaweb.com now... cause a little ruckus grin grin grin
Re: Player Rating - Nigeria Vs Burkina Faso AFCON Final by Nobody: 9:13am On Feb 11, 2013
Enyeama deserves a 10/10.
Re: Player Rating - Nigeria Vs Burkina Faso AFCON Final by MEILYN(m): 9:14am On Feb 11, 2013
lol funny dude dat juwon oshinawa na mumu oo
Re: Player Rating - Nigeria Vs Burkina Faso AFCON Final by executinal(m): 9:18am On Feb 11, 2013
Keshi 10/10

Chapter closed. Nigeria champion of Africa
Re: Player Rating - Nigeria Vs Burkina Faso AFCON Final by HausofDinma: 9:20am On Feb 11, 2013
The team is still a work in process, dem try but they can only get better. Passing, finishing and ball control wasn't that good. But my best players were Moses and I liked Musa's pace & Mba's goal. Keshi has his work cut out if they are to qualify for the World Cup. Hope the NFF gives him a free hand, pays salaries when due, and organizes more constructive friendlies. We need to play Egypt, England, the USA, and other teams with pace otherwise we no go win single match for the World cup next year

Anyhow sha, regardless. Up super eagles, super eagles for life. I designed a shirt right after the match, and will wear the eagles proudly on my chest all week. grin

1 Like

Re: Player Rating - Nigeria Vs Burkina Faso AFCON Final by Blackbody20(m): 9:35am On Feb 11, 2013
I see this present eagles winning another AFCON come 2015.

1 Like

Re: Player Rating - Nigeria Vs Burkina Faso AFCON Final by Reference(m): 9:35am On Feb 11, 2013
Haus of Dinma: The team is still a work in process, dem try but they can only get better. Passing, finishing and ball control wasn't that good. But my best players were Moses and I liked Musa's pace & Mba's goal. Keshi has his work cut out if they are to qualify for the World Cup. Hope the NFF gives him a free hand, pays salaries when due, and organizes more constructive friendlies. We need to play Egypt, England, the USA, and other teams with pace otherwise we no go win single match for the World cup next year

Anyhow sha, regardless. Up super eagles, super eagles for life. I designed a shirt right after the match, and will wear the eagles proudly on my chest all week. grin

It was a final. They were as tense as the rest of us and except if you are a Spain or Brazil there would be misplaced passes , indecisive runs and tactical overload. When the qualifiers start they will be relaxed, play better, but hopefully not conceited.

1 Like

Re: Player Rating - Nigeria Vs Burkina Faso AFCON Final by Nobody: 9:36am On Feb 11, 2013
MEILYN: hahaha confirm...dey all did well
Gbam,for me all d players and d coachs i rate them 10, eve. those in bench too.ha we worn d cup so i give them d credit
Re: Player Rating - Nigeria Vs Burkina Faso AFCON Final by fluttershy23: 9:36am On Feb 11, 2013
so happy 4 my country Nigeria
NIGERIA------- GOLD
BOKINA FASO--- SILVER
MALI ------- BRONZE
So hapi Ghana did not mk it their were to proud of them self that wat brought dem down.
up Nigeria u guyz ve mk the nation proud.congtrate 4 winning the cup after 19 years. so hapi smiley wink grin
Re: Player Rating - Nigeria Vs Burkina Faso AFCON Final by Egodons(m): 9:49am On Feb 11, 2013
uzeba: Our Eagles who art in AFCON.
Victory be thy name, thy trophy come.
Thy cup be brought to us, as it was in the past.
Bring us this trophy, our Eagles coach and forgive those who killed Victor Moses' parents, as we forgave those who stole our subsidy funds, and lead us not not into extra time, but deliver us in 90 mins.
For thine is the trophy, the title and the reward, as 2013 is concerned the year of restoration and settlement.. .. ..AMEN !!!!
Nice prayer. Guy u good die
Re: Player Rating - Nigeria Vs Burkina Faso AFCON Final by Reference(m): 9:53am On Feb 11, 2013
Blackbody20: I see this present eagles winning another AFCON come 2015.

In 1994 after a five-year build up starting in 1989 we won the Nations Cup and were whiskers away from the quarter finals at USA 94, ranked No. 1 in Africa and 9th in the world. Sure to win the Nations Cup in 1996. Then came politics. Abacha's spat with Mandela, Nigeria's withdrawing from South Africa 96, CAF banned us from Burkina Faso 98 and a generation of stars rotted away. CAF saw the AFCON gloss had faded without us and awarded us AFCON 2000.

By then the team had changed, coaches had gone and Ikpeba indecision at the spot reflected Nigerian soccer direction.

Lesson. Sports and politics don't mix. Poetic justice? We won after 19 years in South Africa who hosted in 96 against Burkina Faso who hosted when we were banned and whose only appearance in the final was that year.

3 Likes

Re: Player Rating - Nigeria Vs Burkina Faso AFCON Final by Gbenge77(m): 9:53am On Feb 11, 2013
ENYEAMA was amazing all tournament.He was almost impeccable. OMERUO won his battle with battle with Bance,limiting him to shooting from distance.He is a fantastic defender,although guity of being caught out of position at times. OBOABONA is a no nonsense defender,always winning the aerial battles.No luk for the gargatuan stallion forwards,as he was always breathing down their neck.Will be an integral part of the EAGLES for some time to come. AMBROSE-You could be forgiven for thinking he was an attaking midfielder,given the way he audaciously ventures into the oppositions half,looking for options.Full of running,he usually breezes past players like there was no one there.Even came close with a bullet header himself.FANTASTIC! ONAZI could do with an 8,linked defence and attack superbly,and is not afraid of the tackle,although made some rash challenges. MIKEL was superb also,ensurig the stallions did not get a foothold on the game. MBA is a tireless workaholic in midfield.Adventurous and sometimes unplayable.The game may seem to pass him by at some point,but then he pops out of nowhere to score a fabulous goal. MOSES is quite dexterous on the ball,Always scheming,inventing and creating.Helps us maintain the tempo for long periods.HE s proved to be an amazing snatch froM ENGLAND! IDEYE is a huge presence in the box,and holds up play quite nicely.He is sometimes unplayable,but he could do with better finishing. MUSA is a handful for defenders,and adds a bit of structure to our game.Full of running and trickery,he sometimes leaves defenders for dead,dancing and jinking past them. EMENIKE all action style has endeared him to many.Powerful and blessed with a thunderous shot,he was almost indispensable to the team;and his bullet free kicks comes in specially.You better not stand in the way of his free kick,as you might just end up in the hospital. This happened when the Ivorian defence inexcusably broke in fear as he thundered that free kick home. WHAT A PHENOMENAL ACHIEVEMENT BY THE EAGLES!

2 Likes

Re: Player Rating - Nigeria Vs Burkina Faso AFCON Final by dont8(m): 9:53am On Feb 11, 2013
You're crazy man, but the indomie must be hungryman size with Ghana must go bag to pack it grin
ndala: AFCON 2013 OFFICIAL RESULT...
B tongue
Re: Player Rating - Nigeria Vs Burkina Faso AFCON Final by Gbenge77(m): 9:54am On Feb 11, 2013
ENYEAMA was amazing all tournament.He was almost impeccable.An absolutely commanding leader OMERUO won his battle with battle with Bance,limiting him to shooting from distance.He is a fantastic defender,although guity of being caught out of position at times. OBOABONA is a no nonsense defender,always winning the aerial battles.No luk for the gargatuan stallion forwards,as he was always breathing down their neck.Will be an integral part of the EAGLES for some time to come. AMBROSE-You could be forgiven for thinking he was an attaking midfielder,given the way he audaciously ventures into the oppositions half,looking for options.Full of running,he usually breezes past players like there was no one there.Even came close with a bullet header himself.FANTASTIC! ONAZI could do with an 8,linked defence and attack superbly,and is not afraid of the tackle,although made some rash challenges. MIKEL was superb also,ensurig the stallions did not get a foothold on the game. MBA is a tireless workaholic in midfield.Adventurous and sometimes unplayable.The game may seem to pass him by at some point,but then he pops out of nowhere to score a fabulous goal. MOSES is quite dexterous on the ball,Always scheming,inventing and creating.Helps us maintain the tempo for long periods.HE s proved to be an amazing snatch froM ENGLAND! IDEYE is a huge presence in the box,and holds up play quite nicely.He is sometimes unplayable,but he could do with better finishing. MUSA is a handful for defenders,and adds a bit of structure to our game.Full of running and trickery,he sometimes leaves defenders for dead,dancing and jinking past them. EMENIKE all action style has endeared him to many.Powerful and blessed with a thunderous shot,he was almost indispensable to the team;and his bullet free kicks comes in specially.You better not stand in the way of his free kick,as you might just end up in the hospital. This happened when the Ivorian defence inexcusably broke in fear as he thundered that free kick home. WHAT A PHENOMENAL ACHIEVEMENT BY THE EAGLES!

1 Like

Re: Player Rating - Nigeria Vs Burkina Faso AFCON Final by ProPastorChris(m): 10:13am On Feb 11, 2013
Enyeama: this guy showed a lot of experience in handling the team and stood up to the occasion whenever called upon (7.5)
Oboabona: very proud that one of our so called local league could square up to the big guns of Africa (6)

Omeruo: this guy as far as am concerned is the greatest revelation in this squad, you can see that he has so much improved since his U-17 days, he has truly come of age (9)

Ambrose: am not a fan of this guy at all but after the prelim stage, the guy picked up like a turbo-driven engine and the class he showed in the finals was shocking and he played to instruction (7.5)

Echiejile: though not yet in the class of great left backs, this guy displayed character and commitment, still has a lot to do sha (6.5)

Onazi: this guy though of limited height but full of great football sense and fighter in the mid-field is to me our up-coming field marshal, his long ranges passes of which one led to the only goal in the final, reminds me of Oliseh (7.5)

Mikel: many people may not notice the immense work this guy did in that mid-field though many had criticised him for his lack luster performance when playing for 9ja compared to chelsea, i think Mikel proved everybody wrong and played his heart out in every game, his long passes contributed to many of our attacks and goals (8.5)

Mba: he's the toast of our local league, so hardworking and focused, i see him going places and probably seal his place in that mid-field but his hunger for goals beats me (8.5)

Moses: you could see his desire and hunger to win with this squad, his presence on the field and dashing runs were always problems for defenders, his game is speedily maturing and to cap it all, he chose 9ja over england. i cannot overlook his contributions to the team's overall performance in this competition, he's our hero (8.5)

Ideye: very good at his supporting striker role but missed his pal; emenike in the finals. brown showed great character and very mobile on the field (7.5)

Uche: age has caught up with one time fiery striker of the eagles, he has done his part for 9ja and deserves a good rest from the eagles, thank you for serving 9ja wish you well (6)

2 Likes

Re: Player Rating - Nigeria Vs Burkina Faso AFCON Final by phreakabit(m): 10:20am On Feb 11, 2013
ProPastorChris: Enyeama: this guy showed a lot of experience in handling the team and stood up to the occasion whenever called upon (7.5)
Oboabona: very proud that one of our so called local league could square up to the big guns of Africa (6)

Omeruo: this guy as far as am concerned is the greatest revelation in this squad, you can see that he has so much improved since his U-17 days, he has truly come of age (9)

Ambrose: am not a fan of this guy at all but after the prelim stage, the guy picked up like a turbo-driven engine and the class he showed in the finals was shocking and he played to instruction (7.5)

Echiejile: though not yet in the class of great left backs, this guy displayed character and commitment, still has a lot to do sha (6.5)

Onazi: this guy though of limited height but full of great football sense and fighter in the mid-field is to me our up-coming field marshal, his long ranges passes of which one led to the only goal in the final, reminds me of Oliseh (7.5)

Mikel: many people may not notice the immense work this guy did in that mid-field though many had criticised him for his lack luster performance when playing for 9ja compared to chelsea, i think Mikel proved everybody wrong and played his heart out in every game, his long passes contributed to many of our attacks and goals (8.5)

Mba: he's the toast of our local league, so hardworking and focused, i see him going places and probably seal his place in that mid-field but his hunger for goals beats me (8.5)

Moses: you could see his desire and hunger to win with this squad, his presence on the field and dashing runs were always problems for defenders, his game is speedily maturing and to cap it all, he chose 9ja over england. i cannot overlook his contributions to the team's overall performance in this competition, he's our hero (8.5)

Ideye: very good at his supporting striker role but missed his pal; emenike in the finals. brown showed great character and very mobile on the field (7.5)

Uche: age has caught up with one time fiery striker of the eagles, he has done his part for 9ja and deserves a good rest from the eagles, thank you for serving 9ja wish you well (6)

Amazing midfield there. Mikel had an unbelievable tournament. Has the Mikel we all used to know returned? I hope so.
Re: Player Rating - Nigeria Vs Burkina Faso AFCON Final by Gboyee4fun(m): 10:24am On Feb 11, 2013
It's a very mature game,kudos to bro stephen cuz he composed d guyz to play wid one hrt, no bfin,no grudges n hrt t hrt play brought us d victory.gone r d times wen d playaz wldb lyk dis one no dey ma level n wldnt wana yield to captain instructn.Bro mikel played maturity,na even home base gy mba save us wid a chance.moses omooku orun tnx 4givin ur best .al na ise keshi. tin ba so pe stephen ema so pe keshi...STEPHEN­......
Re: Player Rating - Nigeria Vs Burkina Faso AFCON Final by Ejine(m): 10:31am On Feb 11, 2013
Reference:

In 1994 after a five-year build up starting in 1989 we won the Nations Cup and were whiskers away from the quarter finals at USA 94, ranked No. 1 in Africa and 9th in the world. Sure to win the Nations Cup in 1996. Then came politics. Abacha's spat with Mandela, Nigeria's withdrawing from South Africa 96, CAF banned us from Burkina Faso 98 and a generation of stars rotted away. CAF saw the AFCON gloss had faded without us and awarded us AFCON 2000.

By then the team had changed, coaches had gone and Ikpeba indecision at the spot reflected Nigerian soccer direction.

Lesson. Sports and politics don't mix. Poetic justice? We won after 19 years in South Africa who hosted in 96 against Burkina Faso who hosted when we were banned and whose only appearance in the final was that year.

A little correction though: We were ranked number 1 in Africa and 5th in the World.

But yeah, everything else you said is ON POINT cool
Re: Player Rating - Nigeria Vs Burkina Faso AFCON Final by Iyineda(m): 10:35am On Feb 11, 2013
Enyeama: 9
Ambrose: 8.5
Omeruo: 8.5
Oboabona: 8
Echiejile: 6
Onazi: 7
Mikel: 8
Mba: 8
Moses: 7
Ideye: 6
Uche: 5

Defensively, the team was outstanding. Our midfield did great. But our attacking options were limited; we truly missed the power and generosity of Emenike.
Re: Player Rating - Nigeria Vs Burkina Faso AFCON Final by Austinobisnr(m): 12:16pm On Feb 11, 2013
@op, u wicked o... U no dey eva rate yobo, e no good o grin@op, u wicked o... U no dey eva rate yobo, e no good o
Re: Player Rating - Nigeria Vs Burkina Faso AFCON Final by 1025: 1:00pm On Feb 11, 2013
the unsung hero is MIKEL. the man with a large heart for big occasions.

(1) (2) (Reply)

I’m Fit, Ready For AFCON, Says Ighalo / I’m Not Nigerian Sports’ Problem – Dalung / Should Siasia Be Sacked Or Not

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.