Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,768 members, 7,820,685 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:30 PM

Are You A Proud Nigerian? - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Are You A Proud Nigerian? (520 Views)

Tattoo Map Shows British Olympic Gold Medallist Is A Proud Nigerian. Pic / Nigeria Football Supporters Club Are Making Us Proud / We Lost Galantly, I Am Very Proud Of Chelsea, Blue For Life (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Are You A Proud Nigerian? by eazydon(m): 7:52am On Feb 11, 2013
Its been a long time I had this kind of feeling, feeling special being a Nigeria. Yes, even though I've been around in this country for too long, but from what I hear from the older folks, things used to be like this. We used to be the giants of Africa. We used to be Africa's powerhouse, in all aspects of life. Economy, sports (especially football), culture and what have you.

It has been really saddening watching my beloved country slip into a long bout of comatose, of decay and insignificance. It has heartbreaking watching my country become a laughing stock on so many fronts. Bad Governance, infrastructural decay, corruption in high places have played their roles in trying to cripple Nigeria. Its been a long rough ride. But wait... isn's there any hope?

The events of the past few weeks have been an astounding testament that things can change for good. Things can work out if we want it to. There is always light at the end of the tunnel.
The Super Eagles of Nigeria have given us a timely reminder, that given the right mind frame, each of us, each Nigerian can be a story changer.
Nobody gave them the chance. It was never envisaged that the Super eagles would go thus far Africa's largest sporting event, the Africa Cup of Nations. Who believed Nigeria would knock out the clear pre-tournament favourites, Ivory Coast, and relegate them to the background? With all their big name 'stars'?

Who believed it was this group of largely 'untested' players who would finally begin the process of reclaiming our lost glory?

Though there were sheer moments of individual brilliance in the Eagles' performances, think about the Victor Moses' heroics that kept us in the competition after what seemed like an unending run of poor results in the group stage. Think of Nigeria's prolific striker, Emmanuel Emenike, who went on to grab the medal for the tournament's highest goal scorer. What of the bravery of the home-based player, Sunday Mba who has already made a name for himself? he scored the winning goal that dumped the mighty Ivorians out of the competition, and he scored the trophy winning goal in the final match against Burkina Faso. Yet in all these, the team worked as a unit, and no single player was seeking a personal triumph, and this was the secret behind their success in South Africa.

How much of a leaf can we Nigerians borrow from these group of youngsters? How much part can we play in in transforming Nigeria, not just in football but in all other aspects of life? Each one of us has a major role to play.

My people say that 'when a lot of people gather to urinate together, it foams'.
For the first time in a long time, I feel proud being a Nigerian. Long may this feeling continue!
Congratulations Nigeria and Nigerians!

http://www.naijatell.com/2013/02/are-you-proud-nigerian.html

Re: Are You A Proud Nigerian? by oluwadare26(m): 8:48am On Feb 11, 2013
Even b4 Nigeria win the tournanent..i'v always being a Proud Nigerian... Seeing Nigerians doing good in all aspects of life both home and abroad, make me a proud Nigerian, Seeing D'banj performed live yesterdey make me a proud nigerian, Seeing Mikel play the Champions League Final, Reading about Wole Soyinka make me a proud Nigerian and so many more.., Infact, seeing what i'm up to..makes me a proud 9jarian

(1) (Reply)

Eyeama Didn't Fulfill His Promise / Nff Set Confed Cup Semi-final Target / Web Development Training

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.