Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,456 members, 7,850,588 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 05:06 AM

The Nations Cup’s Best Quotes - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / The Nations Cup’s Best Quotes (552 Views)

Kenyans Vs Nigerians Round 2! Battle Of The Nations. / African Under 17 Nations Cup: Golden Eaglets trashed Gabon, qualifies. / Who Should Make Your 23 Man List For The Nations Cup? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Nations Cup’s Best Quotes by abasifo(m): 11:32am On Feb 12, 2013
Sometimes what is said off the field can be as memorable as what happened on it. Here are the best quotes from players, coaches and officials at the recent 2013 Africa Cup of Nations…

“You have to be big when you lose and small when you win.” – Burkina Faso coach Paul Put shows dignity in defeat after their 1-0 loss to Nigeria in the final.

“The coach was not a help! Me, I was on the pitch, so I couldn't do both jobs (coaching and playing).” – Togo captain Emmanuel Adebayor's rips into coach Didier Six after losing to Burkina Faso in the quarterfinals.

“This is a dream come true. I have been around for 11, 12 years. This was my sixth AFCON and I have said this would be my last. Not because I can no longer play anymore, but I have given my international career a lot of time.” – Nigeria legend Joseph Yobo finally has some silverware to show for his outstanding service to the Super Eagles.

"I don't expect that when you are building a team, you can suddenly think you can win everything. I personally believe that they have done so well." – Ghana coach Kwesi Appiah reckons his team didn’t disappoint, but most Black Stars fans would disagree.

"I am very happy we with victory and very happy we made it to the final. But I think the best player of the day was the referee. I was ashamed by what I saw. It was very clear that Burkina Faso may not play the final and also with Jonathan's second yellow card, that was ridiculous and I don't understand it." – Paul Put reacts angrily to the performance of referee Slim Jdidi [/b]after the semifinal against Ghana in which Jonathan Pitroipa was unjustly sent off.

“Everyone realised that this referee did not officiate well.” – CAF president Issa Hayatou agrees with Put’s view of Jdidi.

“But that’s the way it is, sometimes you’re not present in a match.” – [b]Coted’Ivoir[/b]e fans were no doubt unimpressed by [b]Salomon Kalou’s
explanation for their quarterfinal loss to Nigeria.

“I will just go and kiss him and say ‘thank you’,” – Nigeria coach StephenKeshi praises Sunday Mba for his winner against Cote d’Ivoire.

“At the end of the day, if you ever have to lose a game, that’s the kind of performance that allows you to lose with dignity and pride. Maybe we were a bit unfortunate, but it wasn’t to be and you don’t want to be losing the game when you play that well.” – South Africa coach Gordon Igesund after the hosts were beaten on penalties in the quarterfinals by Mali.

"I answer you very honestly. CAF is very happy because Zambia is not playing the Confederations Cup. This is because Zambia is not sexy enough to go the Confederations Cup. It is the truth." – Zambia coach Herve Renard is disappointed that his team’s 2012 triumph did not earn a spot at this year’s Confederations Cup in Brazil.

http://www.mtnfootball.com/africa/african-tournaments/african-cup-of-nations/news/2013/feb/12-the-nations-cups-best-quotes.html

(1) (Reply)

DANNY SHITTU: No Regrets Turning Down Nigeria's Afcon Trip / Barcelona Is No Longer The Best Club In The World; Chelsea Takes The Lead Away. / Former Super Eagles Striker Kanu Loses $9 Million To Fraudsters

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.